Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: I can't believe I've never smelled Heritage..

Quote Originally Posted by Foamywax View Post
    I hardly ever see it in stores and I love Guerlain fragrances so much. Is there any other guerlain that is similar??
    I absolutely love Habit Rouge would I like Heritage as well??There are no testers and I don't see it in department stores here. It's like the missing link of guerlain here.
    I'm curious .
    Heritage is even easier to like than Habit Rouge. If I went back to having a signature scent, Heritage is probably my number one contender.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Kemi Tempest
    3. Jovoy Private Label
    4. Jovoy La Liturgie des Heures
    5. Mugler Over the Musk

Quote Originally Posted by deltasun View Post
    Heritage is even easier to like than Habit Rouge. If I went back to having a signature scent, Heritage is probably my number one contender.
    I agree wholeheartedly with this.

HABIT ROUGE is kind of like the "scotch" of men's scents. It's really quite good, but initially a little hard to embrace.

I think for most people, HERITAGE is slamming good first time you try it.
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.
    Currently wearing: Intoxicated by By Kilian

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    HABIT ROUGE is kind of like the "scotch" of men's scents. It's really quite good, but initially a little hard to embrace.

I think for most people, HERITAGE is slamming good first time you try it.
    I couldn’t get over the hump with Habit Rouge. Héritage was instant love, as you say.
    Currently wearing: Norell by Norell

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    I couldn’t get over the hump with Habit Rouge. Héritage was instant love, as you say.
    Indeed. That screechy opening of HABIT ROUGE is a handful...the EdP overall scent has grown on me a bit, but the opening notes are always "WTF?"
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.
    Currently wearing: Intoxicated by By Kilian

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    Heritage EDT is spectacular.
    Agreed

I hated Habit Rouge. Smells like the annoying old lady from my building.
    Currently wearing: Oud Minérale by Tom Ford

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FragFrog View Post
    Ask Guerlain, they will confirm it.

L'Instant and Vetiver will only be available as EDT, not longer as EDP - that's why prices are already climbing up on L'Instant EDP.
    Vetiver has never been offered in EDP. The "extreme" version is also an EDT. Should they discontinue Vetiver Extreme, it wouldn't surprise me, as it's not a great seller and is just a twist on the original.
    As for L'Instant, I always thought that the EDT was better balanced. Glad that prices go up, so I will be able to sell my EDP bottle for great bucks!
    Currently wearing: Resina by Oliver & Co.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy the frenchy View Post
    Vetiver has never been offered in EDP. The "extreme" version is also an EDT. Should they discontinue Vetiver Extreme, it wouldn't surprise me, as it's not a great seller and is just a twist on the original.
    As for L'Instant, I always thought that the EDT was better balanced. Glad that prices go up, so I will be able to sell my EDP bottle for great bucks!
    You are right, the Extreme version is labeled as EDT, that's the one which is probably discontinued.

Banned

These aren't news.
    Many people asked Guerlain about this already, eg. those two guys who have written here: https://www.parfumo.de/forum/viewtop...736&start=1025

There's also a bigger change with 7 fragrances of the Patrimoine line which will move from the 100 ml bee bottles to the 75 ml heart-cap bottles. Just in case you're interested in this too.
    Yeah... Parfumo.... They say that L'Instant EDP is not available anywhere, and not listed on Guerlain website... That Heritage EDT is discontinued, as well as Vetiver Extreme.

Fact checking: Both L'Instant EDP and Heritage EDT are still listed on Guerlain website. The only who effectively disappeared is Vetiver Extreme.

Tips: don;t buy blindly whatever some random guy say on forums, especially Parfumo, which is mostly a Germany-centric platform with a small numbers of users!

Edit: after checking, I HAVE bad news though: Mouchoir de Monsieur is apparently discontinued. That is a huge loss.... glad I have a bottle of that one!

Tips: don;t buy blindly whatever some random guy say on forums, especially Parfumo, which is mostly a Germany-centric platform with a small numbers of users!
    Have you read the text in the forum?
    Two guys have contacted the Guerlain customer service separately and both got the same replies.
    One of them was also forwarded to a German-speaking employee in France, who looked for each single fragrance and confirmed this.

I can tell you that L'Instant EDP 100 ml was widely available at the discounters/greymarket sellers and official Guerlain sellers here in Germany over the last years, now only 3 German shops carry it, one greymarket seller and Douglas/Parfumdreams and the Breuninger boutique: https://www.idealo.de/preisvergleich...-guerlain.html

I don't know when Guerlain removes fragrances from their site.

And again, if you are not sure, why don't ask yourself?

I've shared the information just because I wanted you guys on Basenotes to be able to catch some backups if it's really going to be discontinued.
    And not because i wanted to be personally held responsible for the products Guerlain now offers and discontinues.

Having both discovered and then also purchased/owned Heritage strictly in the vintage EDT version so far, can say it could be a fairly safe Guerlain choice if already liking the Habit Rouge series by the same house

Banned

Have you read the text in the forum?
    Two guys have contacted the Guerlain customer service separately and both got the same replies.
    One of them was also forwarded to a German-speaking employee in France, who looked for each single fragrance and confirmed this.

I can tell you that L'Instant EDP 100 ml was widely available at the discounters/greymarket sellers and official Guerlain sellers here in Germany over the last years, now only 2 German shops carry it, one greymarket seller and Douglas/Parfumdreams: https://www.idealo.de/preisvergleich...-guerlain.html

I don't know when Guerlain removes fragrances from their site.

And again, if you are not sure, why don't ask yourself?

I've shared the information just because I wanted you guys on Basenotes to be able to catch some backups if it's really going to be discontinued.
    And not because i wanted to be personally held responsible for the products Guerlain now offers and discontinues.
    *Two german guys contacted Guerlain's german customer service, and german speaking empolyees that gave info in regard to availability in Germany. Often, customer services confuse "discontinuation" with "availability".
    A quick fact checking on the french website would have confirmed that this info is unaccurate: it's not anymore on Guerlain's german website, but not because it is not anymore distributed in Germany does it mean that it is discontinued. (don't they have internet in Germany?)

The same happened with Dior Vetiver, Leather Oud, Mitzah, Eau Noire... because it is now only available as Paris store exclusive, people stated that it is discontinued.

Banned

(deleted)

*Two german guys contacted Guerlain's german customer service, and german speaking empolyees that gave info in regard to availability in Germany. Often, customer services confuse "discontinuation" with "availability".
    A quick fact checking on the french website would have confirmed that this info is unaccurate: it's not anymore on Guerlain's german website, but not because it is not anymore distributed in Germany does it mean that it is discontinued. (don't they have internet in Germany?)

The same happened with Dior Vetiver, Leather Oud, Mitzah, Eau Noire... because it is now only available as Paris store exclusive, people stated that it is discontinued.
    To be more precise, it was a german-speaking Frenchman who works at Guerlain France.

And I know I sound like a broken record: Why don't ask yourself?

"Don't you have internet?" or a telephone maybe?

And beside that: What about the US market? Could it possibly be discontinued there too, if it's gone from the German market?

Quote Originally Posted by lukaskrause View Post
    I hated Habit Rouge. Smells like the annoying old lady from my building.
    She smells fantastic.

You are right, the Extreme version is labeled as EDT, that's the one which is probably discontinued.
    I actually prefer the Extreme to the original, but my lone bottle of it is enough for me. As for the others you mentioned, I may stock up if true. Probably more of a casual back up as I'm not one of those who will snap up everything and horde.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Kemi Tempest
    3. Jovoy Private Label
    4. Jovoy La Liturgie des Heures
    5. Mugler Over the Musk

Quote Originally Posted by deltasun View Post
    I actually prefer the Extreme to the original, but my lone bottle of it is enough for me. As for the others you mentioned, I may stock up if true. Probably more of a casual back up as I'm not one of those who will snap up everything and horde.
    The only Guerlain I currently own is L'Homme Ideal Cologne.
    And I'm not planning to stock up the classic men's line, just thought it would be of interest for some of you.

Basenotes Plus

Both L'Instant EDP and Heritage EDT are still listed on Guerlain website.
    Without talking to Guerlain, it's impossible to tell whether those fragrances remain in production and the company has ceased distribution beyond France, or if the fragrances are discontinued and the last remaining stock is being sold only in France. Either is possible.

As for Mouchoir de Monsieur, perhaps it, like Derby, will be relaunched in the Haute Parfumerie line.
    Currently wearing: Norell by Norell

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    Without talking to Guerlain, it's impossible to tell whether those fragrances remain in production and the company has ceased distribution beyond France, or if the fragrances are discontinued and the last remaining stock is being sold only in France. Either is possible.

As for Mouchoir de Monsieur, perhaps it, like Derby, will be relaunched in the Haute Parfumerie line.
    I haven't got a handwritten letter signed by Guerlain's CEO to confirm it, but:

Après L'Ondée (Eau de Toilette)
    Chant d'Arômes
    Chamade (Eau de Toilette)
    Jicky (Eau de Parfum)
    Nahema (Eau de Parfum)
    Vol de Nuit (Eau de Toilette)
    Mouchoir de Monsieur (Eau de Toilette)

will (probably) move from the 100 ml bee bottles to the 75 heart cap bottles, where already those are:

Mitsouko (Eau de Toilette)
    Mitsouko (Eau de Parfum)
    L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Toilette)
    L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum)

Dependent

Chant d'Arômes
    Jicky (Eau de Parfum)
    Nahema (Eau de Parfum)

will (probably) move from the 100 ml bee bottles to the 75 heart cap bottles, where already those are:

Mitsouko (Eau de Parfum)
    WOW! That's a huge change (if implemented). If Guerlain goes through with this, everyone's going to start freaking out about reformulations and the like. As much as I love the 75 ml heart-cap bottles, I'm glad that I own bee bottle versions of the ones that are possibly going though the change. Wow, just wow! I wish Guerlain would only keep fragrances in the 75 ml, heart-cap bottle that originated in it, as they do now.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

To be more precise, it was a german-speaking Frenchman who works at Guerlain France.

And I know I sound like a broken record: Why don't ask yourself?

"Don't you have internet?" or a telephone maybe?

And beside that: What about the US market? Could it possibly be discontinued there too, if it's gone from the German market?
    With all due respect, you've dropped two huge "discontinuation bombs" very recently, first with screencaps of unverified Tom Ford discontinuation lists in a different thread, and now with a huge swath of Guerlain discontinuations in this one, so we're allowed to be a little skeptical of this news considering it's been back to back and from the same person with alleged noble intentions. I'm sorry dude, that's just how it slices until there's more information.

Furthermore, if we didn't know better, one might suspect your sources (or you) of being eBay sellers trying to sow the seeds of a FOMO frenzy to capitalize on everyone's hysteria with these sweeping and sudden discontinuations, especially with esteemed brands like Tom Ford and Guerlain, plus the knowledge communities like Basenotes are deep in people who like older releases or vintage scents and will backup until they drown in bottles.

I like giving the benefit of the doubt myself, so I'm sure your intentions are pure, but look at what time of year it is, and with tons of people out of work, perfume sellers IRL and online stuck with inventory, and people needing to make their own "stimulus" where governments have failed, I'm not putting it past someone online whipping up these images or stories to profit on the panic of white collar work-from-homes or boomer retirees flexing their spending power on hobbies like perfume collecting.

That said, if any of this is true, we have a toxic combination of shareholder demands for untenable growth, falling revenue in the luxury sector, and ever-tightening restrictions on perfume ingredients passed onto the industry from obvious collusion between private regulatory bodies, the Swiss flavor/odor monopolies that fund and benefit from them, and whatever governmental watch dogs that don't really want anyone wearing perfume or make-up anyway, but take cash donations to allow concessions.

There IS a LOT of discount Guerlain in the wild, so I wouldn't put it past them to pull a Penhaligon's and Lorax their way upmarket by the seat of their own pants with ml drops, packaging "upgrades" and increased puffery/exclusivity talk a la Roja Dove/Creed, which is the most successful business model for "legacy luxury" style perfumes.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil
    Currently wearing: Luna Rossa Carbon by Prada

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    With all due respect, you've dropped two huge "discontinuation bombs" very recently, first with screencaps of unverified Tom Ford discontinuation lists in a different thread, and now with a huge swath of Guerlain discontinuations in this one, so we're allowed to be a little skeptical of this news considering it's been back to back and from the same person with alleged noble intentions. I'm sorry dude, that's just how it slices until there's more information.

Furthermore, if we didn't know better, one might suspect your sources (or you) of being eBay sellers trying to sow the seeds of a FOMO frenzy to capitalize on everyone's hysteria with these sweeping and sudden discontinuations, especially with esteemed brands like Tom Ford and Guerlain, plus the knowledge communities like Basenotes are deep in people who like older releases or vintage scents and will backup until they drown in bottles.

I like giving the benefit of the doubt myself, so I'm sure your intentions are pure, but look at what time of year it is, and with tons of people out of work, perfume sellers IRL and online stuck with inventory, and people needing to make their own "stimulus" where governments have failed, I'm not putting it past someone online whipping up these images or stories to profit on the panic of white collar work-from-homes or boomer retirees flexing their spending power on hobbies like perfume collecting.

That said, if any of this is true, we have a toxic combination of shareholder demands for untenable growth, falling revenue in the luxury sector, and ever-tightening restrictions on perfume ingredients passed onto the industry from obvious collusion between private regulatory bodies, the Swiss flavor/odor monopolies that fund and benefit from them, and whatever governmental watch dogs that don't really want anyone wearing perfume or make-up anyway, but take cash donations to allow concessions.

There IS a LOT of discount Guerlain in the wild, so I wouldn't put it past them to pull a Penhaligon's and Lorax their way upmarket by the seat of their own pants with ml drops, packaging "upgrades" and increased puffery/exclusivity talk a la Roja Dove/Creed, which is the most successful business model for "legacy luxury" style perfumes.
    i fully understand when someone asks for a source.

I've already mentioned it and said that several people had asked Guerlain independently of one another and had received exactly these answers.
    Unfortunately, I can't say whether this is true or not, or whether the relevant employees were competent enough to answer truthfully.
    I can only share this info here. That's all.

Strangely, it's always the same person who tries to expose me.
    This is not the first time and I am getting tired of having to deal with it every time. Hence that answer you've quoted.
    Should I link a few older posts so you can see what I mean?

Apart from L'Homme Ideal Cologne, I don't own any other Guerlain fragrances and I have no plans to buy these allegedly discontinued fragrances.
    In this respect, I have no financial interest in deliberately spreading false information here, especially since hardly anyone from Germany, where I live, reads that anyway.

As for the Tom Ford list - I wrote about it that I only saw it on the net and it was apparently given to a dealer and that I don't know whether that's true or not.
    What am I supposed to do otherwise?

In the future I'll really think twice about whether or not to post such news again.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

i fully understand when someone asks for a source.

I've already mentioned it and said that several people had asked Guerlain independently of one another and had received exactly these answers.
    Unfortunately, I can't say whether this is true or not, or whether the relevant employees were competent enough to answer truthfully.
    I can only share this info here. That's all.

Strangely, it's always the same person who tries to expose me.
    This is not the first time and I am getting tired of having to deal with it every time. Hence that answer you've quoted.
    Should I link a few older posts so you can see what I mean?

Apart from L'Homme Ideal Cologne, I don't own any other Guerlain fragrances and I have no plans to buy these allegedly discontinued fragrances.
    In this respect, I have no financial interest in deliberately spreading false information here, especially since hardly anyone from Germany, where I live, reads that anyway.

As for the Tom Ford list - I wrote about it that I only saw it on the net and it was apparently given to a dealer and that I don't know whether that's true or not.
    What am I supposed to do otherwise?

In the future I'll really think twice about whether or not to post such news again.
    Share what you want or don't, but I'm not going to bite my tongue when something seems a bit iffy. Also, nobody has directly accused you of anything, I said we're allowed to be skeptical and that one could connect those dots if they wanted to. Don't get my words cross.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil
    Currently wearing: Luna Rossa Carbon by Prada

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Share what you want or don't, but I'm not going to bite my tongue when something seems a bit iffy. Also, nobody has directly accused you of anything, I said we're allowed to be skeptical and that one could connect those dots if they wanted to. Don't get my words cross.
    But that's exactly the reason why I wrote: Please ask yourself.
    Especially when these Guerlain fragrances are so important to you.

Last year I phoned the LVMH/Dior production manager because I wanted to know about the developments and changes in the Dior Homme range and posted the information here. Some thought it was good, some didn't and there were also some who had questioned everything.

How can anyone ever sufficiently verify such information?
    Very few manufacturers announce on their website that fragrances will be discontinued.
    Some send emails to loyal customers in advance to point this out.
    Usually, however, the perfumes simply disappear, sometimes even overnight, such as with Dior Homme Eau for Men, which Dior has collected back from authorized dealers.
    I also pointed out at the end of last year that it would be discontinued so that anyone who wants may still have a chance to buy one (or more) bottles. Now they are completely gone, at least here in Germany. Unless you pay 250 euros ...

duplicate

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    I feel you will really like it. I prefer the EDP. But definitely try any Heritage out. Kind of related to Zino as well, although MegaMav is correct with the fragrances he listed as cousins to Heritage.
    ^ This. Please try Zino by Davidoff.
    "A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit. "

-- D. Elton Trueblood
    Currently wearing: Bonheur by Bortnikoff

This thread inspired me to get-round to reviewing Hertiage EDT!

It's a real high-water-mark in modern men's fragrance.
    I don't understand why more people don't talk about the coriander / Cilantro note (as in the leaf NOT the ground spice). It offers the scent a bracing green opening and mossy (damp) middle without relying on vetiver or oakmoss.
    This Coriander leaf into a Guerlainade base of tightly interwoven lavender and vanilla is outstanding. Add a little musky sandalwood and you have a class act. The combination of notes comes off a bit lactonic in feel, some may say it is mature or powdery. I'd define it as a mild mannered neo-classical oriental!
    Should be a safe blind-buy for a Guerlain fan. Deep drydown slightly resembles LIDGE in feel with its dirtied vanilla. Due to the tight blend it can feel a little compact and close and really pays dividends with multiple wearing's.

Overall a unique experience achieved using classical combinations. A real cultured gentleman's selection. I imagine P.G Wodehouses' all knowing gentleman's gentleman Jeeves making a perfectly judged application of Heritage

Chant d'Arômes
    Jicky (Eau de Parfum)
    Nahema (Eau de Parfum)

Mitsouko (Eau de Parfum)
    The new bottles are supposed to be launched in November, but what with more impending lockdowns (at least here in France) that might not happen.

I find it hard to imagine Mouchoir de Monsieur in the Mitsouko bottle, however ... Guess we'll soon find out.

By the way, I'm just back from the Guerlain Mothership on the Champs-Élysées. Both the SA I spoke to and the woman who is in charge of managing stock denied that MdM was discontinued.

Posting something that gets a rise out of the community then telling people that ask for a source to go do the groundwork for you tells me the poster hasnt done enough homework to substantiate the claim.

I dont believe everything I read on the internet, especially anonymous sources on an internet forum.
    I've been doing this long enough to not believe anything until its announced officially by the brand in writing. (Remember the demise of Dior Homme Parfum?)
    Post what you want. From what I understand, misleading the community is not against the TOS as long as you're nice about it.
    Just dont expect the information to be consumed by some of us that have seen this type of thing before to not question it.
    My opinions in weblog form: FragranceReviewer.com
    Fragrance Sales: eBay Store | Basenotes - Creeds / Lubins / Chopard / Guerlain / Evody / Lalique / BOIS 1920
    Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

Quote Originally Posted by Foamywax View Post
    I hardly ever see it in stores and I love Guerlain fragrances so much. Is there any other guerlain that is similar??
    I absolutely love Habit Rouge would I like Heritage as well??There are no testers and I don't see it in department stores here. It's like the missing link of guerlain here.
    I'm curious .
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    I feel you will really like it. I prefer the EDP. But definitely try any Heritage out. Kind of related to Zino as well, although MegaMav is correct with the fragrances he listed as cousins to Heritage.
    Heritage is definitely a modern fougere centred around patchouli - think Amouage Bracken Man, Zino and possibly even TD BdJ.