Code of Conduct

Default Oud Assam by Rania J

oud-assam.jpg

I am interested to try an oud fragrance that uses 'real oud,' and has Eastern and Western influences. Rania J's Oud Assam is available locally at a reasonable price (which is a important consideration for me). Oud lovers, what are your thoughts on this fragrance? I understand have real Indian oud it has 'barnyard' like qualities. Would you recommend it for someone who is largely inexperienced with Oud (real or synthetic), but who rather enjoys animals fragrances in general?
    Last edited by Voronoi; 27th October 2020 at 04:09 AM.

Default Re: Oud Assam by Rania J

It’s a pretty heavy slap in the face in first spray but give it 10 minutes and it mellows. I wouldn’t say it’s a beginner Oud.
    Currently wearing: Musk Khabib by Bortnikoff

It's rather strong in the opening with a "blue cheese" facet, then gets softer and becomes unisex in the drydown thanks to a powdery orange support. Definitely not for beginners.

If you want something similar that stays on the masculine side, get Dhanal Oudh Nashwah by Rasasi. I own both, and was impressed by the similarities, as well as the great quality delivered by Rasasi, despite it costs a fraction of Rania J's price..

I have a sample on the way — alongside a Bornitkoff - Oud Maximus Autumn 19, a full bottle of which is out of my price range — so can give it a test drive and see. As I say I am down with civet, castoreum, and the like... so will so if that translates to a tolerance/enthusiasm for funky oud or not ha.

I will keep an eye out for the Rasai, some Rasai products are available locally but not that one I believe.

I am big oud fan and have tried countless oud, though mainly western, but tried this one (2 ml sample) a few weeks ago, and must say that this is one the most cheesy ouds I´ve ever come across. It took forever for the blue cheese to settle. On my skin this is an absolute no go, and I really can think of any situation when I would like to wear this. Not even in the comfort of my own home. I am sorry - because I had such high hopes for this one.

I have a funny story about this perfume (well funny to me anyway). I had a sample of it and sprayed it on a test strip, enjoyed the scent especially after the opening challenging 5-10 minutes. I kept the test strip to see how it drys down and left it on my side table sat on my wooly hat. Fast forward a week later, I went out to see a friend and wore the wooly hat. Whilst sat in his car I kept picking up the smell of what I thought was soiled nappies, nobody else was in the car with us but my friend does have two toddlers and I just assumed this was maybe an after-smell left by them earlier. I eventually realised the smell was coming from my hat and it was this perfume which had transferred from the test strip.
    Today, everything is different. There's no action. I have to wait around like everyone else. Can't even get decent food. Right after I got here, I ordered some spaghetti with marinara sauce and I got egg noodles and ketchup. I'm an average nobody. I get to live the rest of my life like a schnook.

Basenotes Plus

Some people say blue cheese, but my friends say buffalo dung. Challenging.
    * Most drawn to complex florals, chypres and orientals. Collect the best, forget the rest *

Basenotes Plus

Sample for sure. Even if you love it there’s no freedom in wearing it. You’ll have to plan ahead to avoid others around you who will hate it. A few Rania J scents in the current lineup retain this facet in the overall composition, a worthy option to consider. T. Habanero or Ambre Loup are more versatile selections.
    All the perfumes of Arabia will not sweeten this little hand.

All Is Beautiful

Ambre loup also has a good real oud and may be more user friendly.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

This one is truly an enigma for me. It sometimes seemingly vanishes from my skin just to show up 10 hours later. The smell is indeed quite challenging and I'm seconding that it is reminiscent of aged blue cheese. On my skin, after 30 minutes the cheesy aspects calm down and make place for some woody undertones. In the drydown chocolaty nuances come out. After 6h becomes a skin scent. Good stuff but definitely for beginners.

Can some of the local oud experts identify the type of oud used here to give it this distinct, blue cheese aroma? I see Indian oud, Bangladeshian oud listed in notes but I'm not sure which type is more prominent here.

Wish the opening lasted longer; love that bleu cheese!

Basenotes Junkie

For most people acqua di parma oud is a gateway scent to the genre.
    I found oud assam easier to wear, more well rounded and a complex development. Just have to go easy on the trigger

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk
    1. Sandalo by Lorenzo Villoresi
    2. Eau D'Hederin by Annick Goutal
    3. Neroli Portofino by Tom ford
    4. Gris Clair by Serge Lutens
    5. L'Ombre Dans L'Eau by Diptyque
    6. Colonia by Acqua di Parma
    7. Scandal by Roja
    8. Sublime Vanille by Creed
    9. Moon Safari by Memo
    10. Pour Homme by Paco Robanne

I am waiting on a bottle of this from Russia. My challenge will be not so much if I like it or not, but where I can get away with wearing it. However, I have some hopes that my wife won't hate it. 1) I'm not expecting an "incense"-type scent and, 2) She did NOT hate Frederic Malle The Night, of which I splurged for a 3ml decant.
    Ah, che bel vivere, che bel piacere per un barbiere di qualità...

Basenotes Plus

FM Night is a finely-trained hunting dog of the finest pedigree. Rania J Oud Assam is a wolf.
    All the perfumes of Arabia will not sweeten this little hand.