Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 122
  1. #1

    Default Fragrantica? Is that you?

    Am I the only one that thinks the new layout of fragrantica is awful? It looks like a very badly disjointed picture book and the mobile version is even worse. I would sometimes pop across to ‘that other site’ for a slightly different perspective. Not any more. The people over there just turned wine to vinegar.
    All time favourites

    Bois du Portugal
    by Creed
    Aventus by Creed
    Heritage EdT by Guerlain
    Incident Diplomatique by Jovoy
    Cool Water (vintage) by Davidoff
    Eau Sauvage (vintage) by Christian Dior
    Chic For Men (original formulation) by Carolina Herrera
    Halfeti by Penhaligon’s
    French Lover by Frederic Malle
    Jubilation Man by Amouage
    Pour Monsieur by Chanel
    Currently wearing: Fendi Uomo by Fendi

  2. #2
    Basenotes Plus
    PStoller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    4,633

    Default Re: Fragrantica? Is that you?

    If it was wine before, it was Manischewitz: any decent vinegar would be an improvement. The new Fragrantica layout seems thus to me, save that I can't see any discussion of the fragrances as I could before. Perhaps that's a members-only thing now.

    It's not tempting me to join, if that's the intention, though I'll miss being able to scan the reviews (albeit in near-illegible tiny print).
    Currently wearing: La Nuit by Paco Rabanne

  3. #3
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil
    Posts
    326,959

    Default Re: Fragrantica? Is that you?

    Not crazy about it myself.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  4. #4
    All Is Beautiful
    thrilledchilled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Virginia, Florida
    Posts
    6,508

    Default Re: Fragrantica? Is that you?

    it's okay I suppose. Not as compact as it was before.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Fragrantica? Is that you?

    I really don’t like the interface for voting/reviewing etc

  6. #6
    Dependent
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Sonoran Desert
    Posts
    1,123

    Default Re: Fragrantica? Is that you?

    My least favorite aspect is the way the reviews are shown. It’s confusing to read the top rated reviews next to the top rated negative reviews. I’d rather just read reviews in the order they’re left.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Fragrantica? Is that you?


  8. #8
    The Devil in the Details
    Zealot Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle/Bellevue WA
    Posts
    11,052
    Blog Entries
    10

    Default Re: Fragrantica? Is that you?

    Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    If it was wine before, it was Manischewitz: any decent vinegar would be an improvement. The new Fragrantica layout seems thus to me, save that I can't see any discussion of the fragrances as I could before. Perhaps that's a members-only thing now.

    It's not tempting me to join, if that's the intention, though I'll miss being able to scan the reviews (albeit in near-illegible tiny print).
    The only Manischewitz I've ever had is the rye and pumpernickel bread, which is out of this world with a little cream cheese <3

    ..As for Fragglerock, well the reviews are there if you scroll down far enough to enter Dante's Inferno, but all you'll get are diatribes about how "hypebeast" a fragrance is, or how anyone who uses it is a clown, ad hominem attacks on other reviewers using an @ submitted as reviews themselves (and somehow approved by staff), plus other "FragBro" romper room kindergarten testosterone fits that make me wonder how any ladies at all want to be members there. Granted, there are some really rooty tooty fresh and snooty types here on Basenotes (I still love you anyway), but I'd rather deal with condescension than the Fragrance Army Brood Pit. Those guys will lead me to drink. I need a shower.

    P.S: the layout is okay I guess.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil
    Currently wearing: Invictus by Paco Rabanne

  9. #9
    Super Member LinePlaneVolume's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    MD > LA > NYC > Chicago > MSP > NYC > LA > Seattle
    Posts
    137

    Default Re: Fragrantica? Is that you?

    I haven't looked at it on mobile yet, and it doesn't actually look adaptive when I resize the screen, but on desktop it's way too busy and inefficiently laid out... an infographics horror-show. And, tons upon tons of scrolling!!!

  10. #10

    Default Re: Fragrantica? Is that you?

    The hypebeasting, ladies putting up with it and whatnot was already in free flow and I guess it was what it was, but having nearly all the fragrance info in a single frame and the rest including reviews on one scrollable page was effortless and straightforward. For the sake of a few bits of extra info though they’ve really taken a backward step on ease of use.

    The old adage if it ain't broke don’t fix it feels like an understatement on this one.
    All time favourites

    Bois du Portugal
    by Creed
    Aventus by Creed
    Heritage EdT by Guerlain
    Incident Diplomatique by Jovoy
    Cool Water (vintage) by Davidoff
    Eau Sauvage (vintage) by Christian Dior
    Chic For Men (original formulation) by Carolina Herrera
    Halfeti by Penhaligon’s
    French Lover by Frederic Malle
    Jubilation Man by Amouage
    Pour Monsieur by Chanel
    Currently wearing: Fendi Uomo by Fendi

  11. #11

    Default Re: Fragrantica? Is that you?

    It's not an improvement imho.

  12. #12
    The Devil in the Details
    Zealot Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle/Bellevue WA
    Posts
    11,052
    Blog Entries
    10

    Default Re: Fragrantica? Is that you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbouti View Post
    The hypebeasting, ladies putting up with it and whatnot was already in free flow and I guess it was what it was, but having nearly all the fragrance info in a single frame and the rest including reviews on one scrollable page was effortless and straightforward. For the sake of a few bits of extra info though they’ve really taken a backward step on ease of use.

    The old adage if it ain't broke don’t fix it feels like an understatement on this one.
    I agree. I mainly used them for more complete info on perfumers assigned to a scent or archived ad material you could click on, but all that is discombobulated now.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil
    Currently wearing: Invictus by Paco Rabanne

  13. #13
    Basenotes Plus
    PStoller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    4,633

    Default Re: Fragrantica? Is that you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    The only Manischewitz I've ever had is the rye and pumpernickel bread, which is out of this world with a little cream cheese <3
    Manischewitz is the hyper-sweet synthetic fruity floral of wines. Bug juice spiked with hand sanitizer. Just say no.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbouti View Post
    The old adage if it ain't broke don’t fix it feels like an understatement on this one.
    Except it was broke. Fragrantica's old interface was a textbook example of how not to design a website. The problem is, the new version is a textbook example of how not to fix it.
    Currently wearing: La Nuit by Paco Rabanne

  14. #14
    Basenotes Plus

    Cook.bot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Land of Shrimp&Grits
    Posts
    7,332

    Default Re: Fragrantica? Is that you?

    The only reason I ever went there was to read the articles by Mat Yudov, and now they've made that more difficult to do by eliminating the writers' names under the headlines on the "News" section. <sigh>

  15. #15
    Basenotes Junkie Mak-7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    762

    Default Re: Fragrantica? Is that you?

    Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    If it was wine before, it was Manischewitz: any decent vinegar would be an improvement. The new Fragrantica layout seems thus to me, save that I can't see any discussion of the fragrances as I could before. Perhaps that's a members-only thing now.

    It's not tempting me to join, if that's the intention, though I'll miss being able to scan the reviews (albeit in near-illegible tiny print).
    Its still there, ypu have to click that icon at top right next to your profile picture, ull get sliding page with discussion.

  16. #16
    Dependent HFMIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Houston, Tx
    Posts
    1,236

    Default Re: Fragrantica? Is that you?

    Quote Originally Posted by naylor View Post
    Hah +1 from me.

    Not that I've been very active over there.

    I mainly used it as a backup log of daily wears, which is now more difficult as you have to manually type the name in to chose your SOTD.

    The wardrobe also looks horrible now.
    Currently wearing: Original Vetiver by Creed

  17. #17
    Sillage Monster
    Trilby Lark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    6,200

    Default Re: Fragrantica? Is that you?

    I never understood their organizing principle and I guess now I never will. I cannot interpret their perfume bottles or note icons either.
    Avatar: the late, great Janis Joplin. Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Fragrantica? Is that you?

    Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    Except it was broke. Fragrantica's old interface was a textbook example of how not to design a website. The problem is, the new version is a textbook example of how not to fix it.
    Exactly this.

  19. #19
    Conifer Connoisseur
    junior_surgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    319

    Default Re: Fragrantica? Is that you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    The only reason I ever went there was to read the articles by Mat Yudov, and now they've made that more difficult to do by eliminating the writers' names under the headlines on the "News" section. <sigh>
    The articles by Miguel Matos were getting too much hate haha.

    I agree with the sentiments in this thread though. I don't want to have to scroll down eight times to get to the reviews, I'm not interested in the "trend" of the perfume webpage, I don't care to see Fragram pictures, I'm not going to visit any of the unrelated eBay listings.
    My perfume project: http://pinewardperfume.com/

  20. #20
    Basenotes Junkie nosey74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    943

    Default Re: Fragrantica? Is that you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbouti View Post
    Am I the only one that thinks the new layout of fragrantica is awful? It looks like a very badly disjointed picture book and the mobile version is even worse. I would sometimes pop across to ‘that other site’ for a slightly different perspective. Not any more. The people over there just turned wine to vinegar.
    Not a fan of the new look.
    Currently wearing: Ma Liberté by Jean Patou

  21. #21

    Default Re: Fragrantica? Is that you?

    I might get used to some of it, but the scrolling...and scrolling to the reviews is not fun.

  22. #22
    Basenotes Plus
    Diamondflame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    25,246

    Default Re: Fragrantica? Is that you?

    At least they’re consistent with bad layout and design. Must be a brand thingie...

  23. #23
    Basenotes Plus
    The Cologne Cabinet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    777

    Default Re: Fragrantica? Is that you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    if you scroll down far enough to enter Dante's Inferno, but all you'll get are diatribes about how "hypebeast" a fragrance is, or how anyone who uses it is a clown, ad hominem attacks on other reviewers using an @ submitted as reviews themselves (and somehow approved by staff), plus other "FragBro" romper room kindergarten testosterone fits
    It can be entertaining over there from time to time
    ​"Top 9" handsome autumn November contenders to remember -

    9) Polo Modern Reserve
    8) Herrera for Men (Vintage)
    7) Aramis Tuscany per uomo
    6) One Man Show (Vintage)
    5) Esencia Loewe pour homme
    4) Polo Green (Cosmair)
    3) Aramis Havana
    2) Michael Kors for Men
    1) Azzaro Pour Homme (Vintage)



    “Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.”
    ― Mark Twain
    Currently wearing: Devin by Aramis

  24. #24

    Default Re: Fragrantica? Is that you?

    Quote Originally Posted by pfranka View Post
    I might get used to some of it, but the scrolling...and scrolling to the reviews is not fun.
    i just looked at the site.
    I wonder if it makes so much sense to display the most popular positive review first, e.g. at Aventus I see a review from 2013.
    But if you scroll further, the reviews are sorted by date as before.

    Well, I don't care, I've only looked at this page very rarely anyway.

  25. #25

    Default Re: Fragrantica? Is that you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbouti View Post
    Am I the only one that thinks the new layout of fragrantica is awful? It looks like a very badly disjointed picture book and the mobile version is even worse. I would sometimes pop across to ‘that other site’ for a slightly different perspective. Not any more. The people over there just turned wine to vinegar.
    Fragrantica does have a knack for turning wine to vinegar.

  26. #26
    The Devil in the Details
    Zealot Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle/Bellevue WA
    Posts
    11,052
    Blog Entries
    10

    Default Re: Fragrantica? Is that you?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Cologne Cabinet View Post
    It can be entertaining over there from time to time
    It's definitely popcorn worthy but too much leaves you feeling like a drained husk of a Human being.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil
    Currently wearing: Invictus by Paco Rabanne

  27. #27
    Dependent Beck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    no canto do cisco, no canto do olho
    Posts
    7,342

    Default Re: Fragrantica? Is that you?

    I accessed it before seeing this thread and at first I thought it was one of those errors when loading a page. Then I reloaded it and it didn’t change.
    It's as bad as the newest versions of Spotify. The fact I can't search the artists I like in alphabetical order like before gets me angry- and that organization didn't come back in newest versions, even with users complaining. The treinee sat the wrong chair.
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.
    Currently wearing: Roadster by Cartier

  28. #28
    Dependent speckmann0706's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    6,771

    Default Re: Fragrantica? Is that you?

    I don’t like not seeing the other fragrances to the left and the smells like these on the fragrance page just a bad layout IMO.

  29. #29
    The Devil in the Details
    Zealot Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle/Bellevue WA
    Posts
    11,052
    Blog Entries
    10

    Default Re: Fragrantica? Is that you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    I accessed it before seeing this thread and at first I thought it was one of those errors when loading a page. Then I reloaded it and it didn’t change.
    It's as bad as the newest versions of Spotify. The fact I can't search the artists I like in alphabetical order like before gets me angry- and that organization didn't come back in newest versions, even with users complaining. The treinee sat the wrong chair.
    Another problem is you can't organize house releases in chronological order on Fragrantica, so you can't easily figure out what came before what. It's really unfriendly to folks researching for frame of reference or just wanting to see how a house has progressed over time.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil
    Currently wearing: Invictus by Paco Rabanne

  30. #30
    Basenotes Plus
    PStoller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    4,633

    Default Re: Fragrantica? Is that you?

    Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    …I can't see any discussion of the fragrances as I could before. Perhaps that's a members-only thing now.

    It's not tempting me to join, if that's the intention, though I'll miss being able to scan the reviews (albeit in near-illegible tiny print).
    Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    …the reviews are there if you scroll down far enough to enter Dante's Inferno…
    Quote Originally Posted by Mak-7 View Post
    It's still there, you have to click that icon at top right next to your profile picture, ull get sliding page with discussion.
    I have no profile picture, as I'm not a member. ZC is correct, though: if you scroll down far enough, the comments are still there, and (at least on a desktop computer) actually easier to read because they're no longer in a 6 pt font. The reason I didn't realize that is because the layout /coding is so poor: who would think to scroll down past miles of white space? (Uh, ZC would.) It should be easy enough to fix, but given the site's history, I'm not laying odds on when that will happen—or if the fix will make it even worse.

    Remember that, folks, every time you're tempted to complain about this website. Thank you Grant!
    Currently wearing: La Nuit by Paco Rabanne




Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Fragrantica Reviews....
    By freewheelingvagabond in forum General Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 31st July 2015, 09:51 PM
  2. If anyone is interested in Fragrantica's
    By Zilpha in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 16th December 2014, 10:58 PM
  3. Cedar on Fragrantica - I just don't get it
    By Nizan in forum Fragrance DIY
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 4th August 2014, 01:44 PM
  4. Hi Fragrantica
    By kittenmittens in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 18th November 2012, 03:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000