Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Fragrantica? Is that you?

Am I the only one that thinks the new layout of fragrantica is awful? It looks like a very badly disjointed picture book and the mobile version is even worse. I would sometimes pop across to ‘that other site’ for a slightly different perspective. Not any more. The people over there just turned wine to vinegar.
    All time favourites

Bois du Portugal
    by Creed
    Aventus by Creed
    Heritage EdT by Guerlain
    Incident Diplomatique by Jovoy
    Cool Water (vintage) by Davidoff
    Eau Sauvage (vintage) by Christian Dior
    Chic For Men (original formulation) by Carolina Herrera
    Halfeti by Penhaligon’s
    French Lover by Frederic Malle
    Jubilation Man by Amouage
    Pour Monsieur by Chanel
    Currently wearing: Fendi Uomo by Fendi

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Fragrantica? Is that you?

If it was wine before, it was Manischewitz: any decent vinegar would be an improvement. The new Fragrantica layout seems thus to me, save that I can't see any discussion of the fragrances as I could before. Perhaps that's a members-only thing now.

It's not tempting me to join, if that's the intention, though I'll miss being able to scan the reviews (albeit in near-illegible tiny print).
    Currently wearing: La Nuit by Paco Rabanne

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Not crazy about it myself.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

All Is Beautiful

it's okay I suppose. Not as compact as it was before.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

I really don’t like the interface for voting/reviewing etc

Dependent

My least favorite aspect is the way the reviews are shown. It’s confusing to read the top rated reviews next to the top rated negative reviews. I’d rather just read reviews in the order they’re left.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    If it was wine before, it was Manischewitz: any decent vinegar would be an improvement. The new Fragrantica layout seems thus to me, save that I can't see any discussion of the fragrances as I could before. Perhaps that's a members-only thing now.

It's not tempting me to join, if that's the intention, though I'll miss being able to scan the reviews (albeit in near-illegible tiny print).
    The only Manischewitz I've ever had is the rye and pumpernickel bread, which is out of this world with a little cream cheese <3

..As for Fragglerock, well the reviews are there if you scroll down far enough to enter Dante's Inferno, but all you'll get are diatribes about how "hypebeast" a fragrance is, or how anyone who uses it is a clown, ad hominem attacks on other reviewers using an @ submitted as reviews themselves (and somehow approved by staff), plus other "FragBro" romper room kindergarten testosterone fits that make me wonder how any ladies at all want to be members there. Granted, there are some really rooty tooty fresh and snooty types here on Basenotes (I still love you anyway), but I'd rather deal with condescension than the Fragrance Army Brood Pit. Those guys will lead me to drink. I need a shower.

P.S: the layout is okay I guess.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil
    Currently wearing: Invictus by Paco Rabanne

MD > LA > NYC > Chicago > MSP > NYC > LA > Seattle

I haven't looked at it on mobile yet, and it doesn't actually look adaptive when I resize the screen, but on desktop it's way too busy and inefficiently laid out... an infographics horror-show. And, tons upon tons of scrolling!!!

The hypebeasting, ladies putting up with it and whatnot was already in free flow and I guess it was what it was, but having nearly all the fragrance info in a single frame and the rest including reviews on one scrollable page was effortless and straightforward. For the sake of a few bits of extra info though they’ve really taken a backward step on ease of use.

The old adage if it ain't broke don’t fix it feels like an understatement on this one.
    All time favourites

Bois du Portugal
    by Creed
    Aventus by Creed
    Heritage EdT by Guerlain
    Incident Diplomatique by Jovoy
    Cool Water (vintage) by Davidoff
    Eau Sauvage (vintage) by Christian Dior
    Chic For Men (original formulation) by Carolina Herrera
    Halfeti by Penhaligon’s
    French Lover by Frederic Malle
    Jubilation Man by Amouage
    Pour Monsieur by Chanel
    Currently wearing: Fendi Uomo by Fendi

It's not an improvement imho.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbouti View Post
    The hypebeasting, ladies putting up with it and whatnot was already in free flow and I guess it was what it was, but having nearly all the fragrance info in a single frame and the rest including reviews on one scrollable page was effortless and straightforward. For the sake of a few bits of extra info though they’ve really taken a backward step on ease of use.

The old adage if it ain't broke don’t fix it feels like an understatement on this one.
    I agree. I mainly used them for more complete info on perfumers assigned to a scent or archived ad material you could click on, but all that is discombobulated now.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    The only Manischewitz I've ever had is the rye and pumpernickel bread, which is out of this world with a little cream cheese <3
    Manischewitz is the hyper-sweet synthetic fruity floral of wines. Bug juice spiked with hand sanitizer. Just say no.

Except it was broke. Fragrantica's old interface was a textbook example of how not to design a website. The problem is, the new version is a textbook example of how not to fix it.

Basenotes Plus

The only reason I ever went there was to read the articles by Mat Yudov, and now they've made that more difficult to do by eliminating the writers' names under the headlines on the "News" section. <sigh>

Its still there, ypu have to click that icon at top right next to your profile picture, ull get sliding page with discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by naylor View Post
    Hah +1 from me.

Not that I've been very active over there.

I mainly used it as a backup log of daily wears, which is now more difficult as you have to manually type the name in to chose your SOTD.

The wardrobe also looks horrible now.
    Currently wearing: Original Vetiver by Creed

Sillage Monster

I never understood their organizing principle and I guess now I never will. I cannot interpret their perfume bottles or note icons either.
    Avatar: the late, great Janis Joplin. Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself.

Except it was broke. Fragrantica's old interface was a textbook example of how not to design a website. The problem is, the new version is a textbook example of how not to fix it.
    Exactly this.

Conifer Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    The only reason I ever went there was to read the articles by Mat Yudov, and now they've made that more difficult to do by eliminating the writers' names under the headlines on the "News" section. <sigh>
    The articles by Miguel Matos were getting too much hate haha.

I agree with the sentiments in this thread though. I don't want to have to scroll down eight times to get to the reviews, I'm not interested in the "trend" of the perfume webpage, I don't care to see Fragram pictures, I'm not going to visit any of the unrelated eBay listings.
    My perfume project: http://pinewardperfume.com/

Am I the only one that thinks the new layout of fragrantica is awful? It looks like a very badly disjointed picture book and the mobile version is even worse. I would sometimes pop across to ‘that other site’ for a slightly different perspective. Not any more. The people over there just turned wine to vinegar.
    Not a fan of the new look.
    Currently wearing: Ma Liberté by Jean Patou

I might get used to some of it, but the scrolling...and scrolling to the reviews is not fun.

Basenotes Plus

At least they’re consistent with bad layout and design. Must be a brand thingie...

Basenotes Plus

if you scroll down far enough to enter Dante's Inferno, but all you'll get are diatribes about how "hypebeast" a fragrance is, or how anyone who uses it is a clown, ad hominem attacks on other reviewers using an @ submitted as reviews themselves (and somehow approved by staff), plus other "FragBro" romper room kindergarten testosterone fits
    It can be entertaining over there from time to time
    ​"Top 9" handsome autumn November contenders to remember -

9) Polo Modern Reserve
    8) Herrera for Men (Vintage)
    7) Aramis Tuscany per uomo
    6) One Man Show (Vintage)
    5) Esencia Loewe pour homme
    4) Polo Green (Cosmair)
    3) Aramis Havana
    2) Michael Kors for Men
    1) Azzaro Pour Homme (Vintage)

“Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.”
    ― Mark Twain
    Currently wearing: Devin by Aramis

Quote Originally Posted by pfranka View Post
    I might get used to some of it, but the scrolling...and scrolling to the reviews is not fun.
    i just looked at the site.
    I wonder if it makes so much sense to display the most popular positive review first, e.g. at Aventus I see a review from 2013.
    But if you scroll further, the reviews are sorted by date as before.

Well, I don't care, I've only looked at this page very rarely anyway.

Fragrantica does have a knack for turning wine to vinegar.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Cologne Cabinet View Post
    It can be entertaining over there from time to time
    It's definitely popcorn worthy but too much leaves you feeling like a drained husk of a Human being.

I accessed it before seeing this thread and at first I thought it was one of those errors when loading a page. Then I reloaded it and it didn’t change.
    It's as bad as the newest versions of Spotify. The fact I can't search the artists I like in alphabetical order like before gets me angry- and that organization didn't come back in newest versions, even with users complaining. The treinee sat the wrong chair.
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.
    Currently wearing: Roadster by Cartier

I don’t like not seeing the other fragrances to the left and the smells like these on the fragrance page just a bad layout IMO.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    I accessed it before seeing this thread and at first I thought it was one of those errors when loading a page. Then I reloaded it and it didn’t change.
    It's as bad as the newest versions of Spotify. The fact I can't search the artists I like in alphabetical order like before gets me angry- and that organization didn't come back in newest versions, even with users complaining. The treinee sat the wrong chair.
    Another problem is you can't organize house releases in chronological order on Fragrantica, so you can't easily figure out what came before what. It's really unfriendly to folks researching for frame of reference or just wanting to see how a house has progressed over time.

Basenotes Plus

…I can't see any discussion of the fragrances as I could before. Perhaps that's a members-only thing now.

…the reviews are there if you scroll down far enough to enter Dante's Inferno…
    Quote Originally Posted by Mak-7 View Post
    It's still there, you have to click that icon at top right next to your profile picture, ull get sliding page with discussion.
    I have no profile picture, as I'm not a member. ZC is correct, though: if you scroll down far enough, the comments are still there, and (at least on a desktop computer) actually easier to read because they're no longer in a 6 pt font. The reason I didn't realize that is because the layout /coding is so poor: who would think to scroll down past miles of white space? (Uh, ZC would.) It should be easy enough to fix, but given the site's history, I'm not laying odds on when that will happen—or if the fix will make it even worse.

Remember that, folks, every time you're tempted to complain about this website. Thank you Grant!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast