Code of Conduct

Default Speaking of jeans. 100% cotton or with stretch?

I’ve been reading various things with regard to adding say 2% elastane with cotton into jeans. Do the jeans with stretch end up stretching out and not fitting as tight in the legs? Or does it make sense that the cotton stretches out over time and even if you wash it and dry it it will still have lost some of its original shape. I see Dearborn Jeans Has 7% stretch material. Is that too much?

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Speaking of jeans. 100% cotton or with stretch?

I'd always stick to 100% cotton. Just make sure you buy a pair that fits you comfortably and well.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by finsfan View Post
    I’ve been reading various things with regard to adding say 2% elastane with cotton into jeans. Do the jeans with stretch end up stretching out and not fitting as tight in the legs? Or does it make sense that the cotton stretches out over time and even if you wash it and dry it it will still have lost some of its original shape. I see Dearborn Jeans Has 7% stretch material. Is that too much?
    I wouldn't worry about the percentage. Just worry about the fit. But if there's more elastane, than means they won't hold up as long, at least in my experience.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

I was looking for a very dark blue pair of jeans to kind of dress it up a little bit with a sports coat or wear it to the office with a nice sweater in winter. I found a pair at Macy’s of 511 slim fit commuter jeans which have a reinforced seat and they were in a very dark blue with no contrast stitching. They have 62% cotton 37% polyester and 1% elastane. . They seem very comfortable and the price was marked down from $74 down to $19.73. I figure for that price even if I only wear them a couple years that’s great. They’re not as heavy as regular jeans and look a little bit dressier and I think they’re going to be great in the summer. But for regular jeans I wouldn’t want to go down beyond 5% elastane because then they don’t look like jeans.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by finsfan View Post
    They have 62% cotton 37% polyester and 1% elastane.
    In my experience, as soon as they add any percentage of polyester the fabric goes completely to sh*t. Just cotton with a small percentage of elastane (1-3%) will give you some stretch without losing much durability, and will hold its shape through many washings and dryings.

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    In my experience, as soon as they add any percentage of polyester the fabric goes completely to sh*t. Just cotton with a small percentage of elastane (1-3%) will give you some stretch without losing much durability, and will hold its shape through many washings and dryings.
    I have read that the polyester does not stretch, but could be warmer. Then again, they use polyeter for Dri-fit and wicking stuff. These are lighter weight jeans and are very dark blue Jeans (Levi 511 slim fit) but almost like a dress pant, so for $20 I wont return them. I know I will get at least a season out of them.

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    That's weird because when it comes to shirts, a cotton/poly blend always tends to be my most durable and most comfortable ones.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

Blog Entries

If you do buy jeans with stretch, dry them on a slightly lower heat setting. It will help the elastic last longer.

So far, always enjoyed 100% cotton both as the more classy versatile choice while at the same time providing best possible wearing comfort.
    However if some good options with stretch material do (re) surface irrespective of the brand that manufactures/retails them and happening to personally enjoy wearing such jeans type as well-might consider, post and also recommend otherwise.
    Currently wearing: Zino Davidoff by Davidoff