Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Power to the people

I'm looking for a scent that conveys a proletariat vibe. Any suggestions?

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Power to the people

Chypre Mousse
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Dependent

Very interesting and specific question.

Pour un Homme maybe?

Tough question to answer, depends on your definition of the term.

Are we talking working class in the traditional sense or are you referring to what might be considered a modern day proletariat?

Axe body spray comes to mind if we are talking modern day.
    Currently wearing: Original Vetiver by Creed

Red for Men?

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Red for Men?
    I see what you did there.
    Currently wearing: Original Vetiver by Creed

Caron L'Anarchiste, quite "namey" actually
    Currently wearing: Allure Homme by Chanel

Basenotes Member

If you're in America, implying a prole class even exists is wild. Prole labor implies industrial jobs which have been outsourced for decades now.

With that in mind the last time a genuine prole class existed in the US would be the 70s-80s so I would unironically endorse retro powerhouse frags like Polo Green, Paco Rabanne, Aramis, Drakkar, etc as prole scents because that's what my family wore. And many of them still wear.

Or, you could go with scents that were available behind the Iron Curtain at the time, but the proles didn't really have as much access to luxuries. Some of my family were still in Eastern Europe before USSR collapsed, they described relying on the black market for luxury goods. For some reason Bogart fragrances were very popular, although I can't tell if that was due to availability or actual quality.

Basenotes Junkie Alonewithcologne's Avatar

If you mean in a blue-collar way: Gucci Guilty Absolute. It smells like gasoline and oil.
    If you want a Soviet throwback, then: Red Moscow (Красная Москва). Alternatively, you can just take whatever fragrance you own, and drink it, Soviet style, to escape the misery. [Please don't do this!]

If you mean in a political way, then it depends... I could imagine a Chinese politburo member, or labor union chief wearing: Roja Dove Enigma. On the other hand, a rioter/looter, like a Bolshevik in 1917, would certainly have worn heavy B.O..

I've worked in factories, and in in such jobs, my go to fragrance was Dior Sauvage EDT. And it has a common man flare to it.

Quote Originally Posted by nucker View Post
    Gucci Guilty Absolute

Dior Fahrenheit

Both smell industrial. GGA smells like leather work boots. Fahrenheit can be found at Walmart, CVS, and the grocery store: very accessible to the working man. I think both would compliment a Dickies or Carhartt work jacket.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Alonewithcologne View Post
    If you mean in a blue-collar way: Gucci Guilty Absolute. It smells like gasoline and oil.
    Posted at the same time, haha. Right there with ya on the GGA.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by smellyD View Post
    Posted at the same time, haha. Right there with ya on the GGA.
    Yeah, it's a great one! I was just enjoying it yesterday.

Oh, by the way, OP. Lenin enjoyed the finer things in life, wrote French poetry, and had a sensitive, but passionate nature. Perhaps MFK Oud Satin Mood, for him.

Bvlgari Black - for that rubber/petrol vibe.
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com

Nostalgia - SMN -- like a car mechanic's overalls

Versace Blue Jeans

I'm sort of leaving it up to interpretation, but kind of thinking of something for a working-class hero.

Quote Originally Posted by absolutesauvage View Post
    If you're in America, implying a prole class even exists is wild. Prole labor implies industrial jobs which have been outsourced for decades now.

With that in mind the last time a genuine prole class existed in the US would be the 70s-80s so I would unironically endorse retro powerhouse frags like Polo Green, Paco Rabanne, Aramis, Drakkar, etc as prole scents because that's what my family wore. And many of them still wear.

Or, you could go with scents that were available behind the Iron Curtain at the time, but the proles didn't really have as much access to luxuries. Some of my family were still in Eastern Europe before USSR collapsed, they described relying on the black market for luxury goods. For some reason Bogart fragrances were very popular, although I can't tell if that was due to availability or actual quality.
    It sounds like you are more learned on the subject than myself, but regardless of labels, there are still people who are under the thumb in every corner of the globe.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by absolutesauvage View Post

Decent answer that needs some gap fillings. I came up from poverty in the US in a city known for it's de-industrialization, drug problem, and murder rate (Baltimore), so I'm in a qualified position to answer this question with detail.

Long Version

The "prole" class my dad belonged to was replaced with the welfare-subsidized retail employee in the wake of outsourced labor, with the explosion of big box retail and food service chains to fill that void, plus other forms of service economy like cleaners and unskilled maintenance/porters or sedan operators. Forget about college, too busy working 3 jobs to pay rent. You can try, but you'll ultimately bomb your classes when hours are cut and you're forced to scramble for more work elsewhere.

I swam in this ocean myself out of desperate need from the age of 16 to about 36, so I know the feeling of constant productivity evaluation, unstable work hours, and eventual transition to the "gig economy" (e.g. Uber, part-time only positions, contract work, and temp agencies) to avoid government-mandated full-time benefits under Obama. I'm blessed to have been able to climb out of that hellscape before the stress and anxiety eventually killed me. Only reason I'm able to support a frivolous hobby like perfume, to be honest.

The majority of people living like I did that had any interest in fragrance at all beyond Axe deodorant wore whatever was on clearance at their places of work (Wal-Mart etc.), or they went the Avon route like I did, or the Ross/Marshalls/TJ Maxx route if they had enough money saved up for something more than $20, where a nice $40 bottle of something running $100 at Macy's could be had. That's where everyone who had designers got them, if they didn't steal them (this was before alarm boxes were a thing).

I don't imagine things have changed much in terms of what the common blue-collar American wears at least pre-pandemic. Although now more than before many just wear nothing (or steal more than before) if they want the same creature comforts, but I think everyone's more focused on keeping a roof with the looming expiry on eviction moratoriums.

Short Version

Claiborne
    Avon
    Axe/Bod/Tag
    Aftershaves/Legacy drugstore
    Nautica
    Classic Match/Jordache/Parfums de Coeuer clones
    Mary Kay
    Tommy (discounted/stolen)
    Versace (discounted/stolen)
    Burberry (discounted/stolen)
    Celebrity/Car/Novelty brands (always on clearance from day 1 eg. Paris Hilton or Mustang)

P.S. If you were wearing Armani, Dior, or Chanel, you were either slinging drugs, or you "weren't from around the here" and nobody trusted you.

Hope this answers your question OP
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil

Dior Sauvage

It's definitely common.

Quote Originally Posted by nucker View Post
    The smell of 16 hours of hard labor.
    My opinions in weblog form: FragranceReviewer.com
    Fragrance Sales: eBay Store | Basenotes - Creeds / Lubins / Chopard / Guerlain / Evody / Lalique / BOIS 1920
    Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

Blue Stratos

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    Dior Sauvage

It's definitely common.
    Or Bleu.

Much of the population seems to be aware of these two - fragrance and non-fragrance nose alike.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Decent answer that needs some gap fillings. I came up from poverty in the US in a city known for it's de-industrialization, drug problem, and murder rate (Baltimore), so I'm in a qualified position to answer this question with detail.

Long Version

The "prole" class my dad belonged to was replaced with the welfare-subsidized retail employee in the wake of outsourced labor, with the explosion of big box retail and food service chains to fill that void, plus other forms of service economy like cleaners and unskilled maintenance/porters or sedan operators. Forget about college, too busy working 3 jobs to pay rent. You can try, but you'll ultimately bomb your classes when hours are cut and you're forced to scramble for more work elsewhere.

I swam in this ocean myself out of desperate need from the age of 16 to about 36, so I know the feeling of constant productivity evaluation, unstable work hours, and eventual transition to the "gig economy" (e.g. Uber, part-time only positions, contract work, and temp agencies) to avoid government-mandated full-time benefits under Obama. I'm blessed to have been able to climb out of that hellscape before the stress and anxiety eventually killed me. Only reason I'm able to support a frivolous hobby like perfume, to be honest.

The majority of people living like I did that had any interest in fragrance at all beyond Axe deodorant wore whatever was on clearance at their places of work (Wal-Mart etc.), or they went the Avon route like I did, or the Ross/Marshalls/TJ Maxx route if they had enough money saved up for something more than $20, where a nice $40 bottle of something running $100 at Macy's could be had. That's where everyone who had designers got them, if they didn't steal them (this was before alarm boxes were a thing).

I don't imagine things have changed much in terms of what the common blue-collar American wears at least pre-pandemic. Although now more than before many just wear nothing (or steal more than before) if they want the same creature comforts, but I think everyone's more focused on keeping a roof with the looming expiry on eviction moratoriums.

Short Version

Claiborne
    Avon
    Axe/Bod/Tag
    Aftershaves/Legacy drugstore
    Nautica
    Classic Match/Jordache/Parfums de Coeuer clones
    Mary Kay
    Tommy (discounted/stolen)
    Versace (discounted/stolen)
    Burberry (discounted/stolen)
    Celebrity/Car/Novelty brands (always on clearance from day 1 eg. Paris Hilton or Mustang)

P.S. If you were wearing Armani, Dior, or Chanel, you were either slinging drugs, or you "weren't from around the here" and nobody trusted you.

Hope this answers your question OP
    Thanks for your well thought-out perspective.

My upbringing was similar in that we were underprivileged, but I grew up in a rural area. There was a 5 year period that we lived in a home without running water. This may have influenced my gravitation towards fragrances, as bathing was only a weekly luxury (involving heating water on a wood-stove)

I also relate to theft being a means to an end. The first fragrance that I owned was a bottle of Jovan Grass Oil, that I stole from a drug store.

You know, I could imagine some of my former blue-collar coworkers wearing Aventus. Don't count out more expensive fragrances, especially since in my area at least, blue collar jobs (ex. manufacturing), don't pay as poorly as you might imagine, with entry level starting at $14 an hour, with more skilled workers making $50,000 a year on up. Manufacturing in particular, pays better than the service sector, because fewer people want to work in manufacturing jobs.

Heritage.
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alonewithcologne View Post
    You know, I could imagine some of my former blue-collar coworkers wearing Aventus. Don't count out more expensive fragrances, especially since in my area at least, blue collar jobs (ex. manufacturing), don't pay as poorly as you might imagine, with entry level starting at $14 an hour, with more skilled workers making $50,000 a year on up. Manufacturing in particular, pays better than the service sector, because fewer people want to work in manufacturing jobs.
    You might be unaware of the huge glaring fact that manufacturing jobs are nigh-nonexistent in many parts of the US, due to the previously-discussed outsourcing by other posters. Meatpacking, warehouse, and industrial agriculture are a thing still, but that isn't everywhere either. What little remains in many places is automated to the point that only people with engineering degrees are really needed, and those aren't really working-class jobs anymore, are they?

There's no entry-level in operations like that here for example, or the entry level is filled by temp agencies, meaning that again, you can't put down roots and get promoted into positions with better pay or benefits because you don't technically work for your employer directly. It's on the higher end of the "gig economy" and also above the working-class, but this is how even a lot of entry-level tech works nowadays (i.e coders). Amazon does fill a void in the industrial sector, but their employment practices are the stuff of nightmares.

Also you're right, some places pay $15 minimum wage like where I currently live, but with rent not much below $2,000 a month, people making that money aren't buying Aventus unless they're packed like sardines in a studio apartment. You're not wrong about wages and jobs in Colorado (especially Denver as I have friends there), I just think maybe you don't realize it isn't as good out there everywhere as it maybe is for you.

Some places minimum wage is still the federal minimum of $7.25 if you can believe it. Nobody back in Baltimore who wasn't hustling on the corner or didn't have a vocation/degree was making above $11.00hr at any job, and that was only 2015.

Anyways, back to perfume!
    Last edited by Zealot Crusader; 30th October 2020 at 08:39 AM.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    Dior Sauvage

It's definitely common.
    and quite horrible also

Tam Dao...the perfect plebeian scent: it smells like sweat