Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default J-C Ellena's work for Le Couvent de Minimes

Has anyone tried any of the eight scents that Ellena did for Le Couvent this year and last? I haven't heard a single word about them, and I'm curious if he's changed his style any since leaving Hermes.

https://www.basenotes.net/person/322

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: J-C Ellena's work for Le Couvent de Minimes

I own all the releases from Les Parfums Remarquables and Eau De Parfums Singulieres lines plus 8 from the original line. All are quite nice and very reasonably priced. Not sure which of the two most recent lines he had a hand in.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

I didn't realize he was now the creative director of Le Couvent, but according to their website, that's the case.

I also didn't realize he was the nose for the "Remarquables" line, so that brings the total of his creations there to 15.

I wish they offered a discovery set, but they only offer what they call "miniatures" that look to be about 2ml, and only 6 of their scents come that way.

Basenotes Plus

News to me...that he even did scents for this line, much less is the Creative Director. Whoa.

I haven't even smelled those scents he did for Perris Monte Carlo yet...
    "A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit. "

-- D. Elton Trueblood
    Currently wearing: SantL by Madhat Scents

It is not really certain which scents were done by Ellena as Parfumo lists different perfumers and Fragrantica apparently lists other fragrances done by Ellena as well, which are not added in the Basenotes directory. It's all a bit vague honestly.

I have ordered miniature samples and will give you a quick description of said samples.

1) Aqua Minimes - very natural smelling, nice, reminds me a bit of Eau d'Orange Verte
    2) Aqua Solis - smells like a more citric version of Un Jardin En Mediterranee
    3) Aqua Majestae - floral citrus with osmanthus, unisex and easy to wear, almost a bit fizzy
    4) Aqua Nymphae - green, watery, floral, slightly more masculine, not too bad
    5) Aqua Imperi - appears to be a lavandin based scent but it's very citric in the opening, more masculine, sharp and gets herbal later on
    6) Aqua Mysteri - very refreshing, slightly soapy, well done citrusy woody scent
    7) Santa Cruz - reminds me of Aqua Solis since I get some vague fig accord, but this one is a bit more woody
    8) Fort Royal - very nice chocolate type scent, slightly balsamic (as in resinous) but nothing challenging, nicely blended, powdery and easy to wear
    9) Hattai - chocolate, pink peppercorn and amberwood, not a big fan honestly, the mid is a bit sour due to the amberwood accord I think, doesn't smell like your typical ''amber''

Blog Entries

I've tried Aqua Mysteri and I thought it was ok but not great, a budget scent.
    The best thing about this line is they offer 10ml bottles, and the price is not ramped up in proportion to larger sizes.