Code of Conduct

Default PerfumersWorld's quality of Raw Materials?

Hi,
    I'm interested in getting more familiar with AC and Naturals, Absolutes, and was looking for a place where I could obtain a small dose (1-5g) of large variety of materials for a low price, with no minimum order quantity, and PerfumersWorld seems to be the right place, especially since I'm out of the US. But I wanted to ask a few things before placing an order with them:
    1. Does anyone have experience when them? If so is it good or bad?
    2. Do Aroma chemicals such as Hedione, Beta Damascone, Bicyclononalactone, Rose Otto, vanillin, Ambroxan and others from different suppliers smell differently? If yes, how big is the difference?

Any help is appreciated 🙏

Default Re: PerfumersWorld's quality of Raw Materials?

They are good to go in my opinion.
    Got many chems from them and they have been good every time!

Essential Oils an differ from supplier to supplier but aroma chemicals should smell the same

Basenotes Plus

Being a broken record here, most people with experience avoid PW. Personally, I've never bought any materials from them, on purpose.
    But by all means, buy from whoever you want to... after awhile, you will learn who is trustworthy and sells good products and services only through trials and errors.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Basenotes Plus

To your second question, natural oils and absolutes differ between harvest to harvest due to many factors... temperature, moisture, soil, etc.

Synthetics should not differ unless the batch is old or contaminated. HOWEVER... synthetics can differ when made by different manufactures. Ambroxan and Ambrettolide for example are both made by multiple manufactures. Each are slightly different based on if you get it from IFF, Guivadan or KAO.
    Andrew Hugg, Lieutenant Colonel, USAF (retired)

Quote Originally Posted by Devil's Son In Law View Post
    HOWEVER... synthetics can differ when made by different manufactures. Ambroxan and Ambrettolide for example are both made by multiple manufactures. Each are slightly different based on if you get it from IFF, Guivadan or KAO.
    So what I need to find out is wether Perfumersworld produce their own synthetics and do quality control, or purchase from other source, yes?

I've emailed them 2 weeks ago but never got a response

Quote Originally Posted by Metallicsugar View Post
    So what I need to find out is wether Perfumersworld produce their own synthetics and do quality control, or purchase from other source, yes?

I've emailed them 2 weeks ago but never got a response
    Perfumersworld does not produce their own synthetics. They sell from manufacturers. A single aromachemical can often be manufactured by different companies (Penta, IFF, Guivadan, etc.).
    Last edited by neroli1970; 6th November 2020 at 03:57 PM.

They do not manufacture their own bases either last I heard. It may be called a fluorescence but often it's a Givaudan reconstruction or a combination of two. But it's hard to know since they don't reveal much. Can't beat their price per gram on some materials or their shipping though! They also seem to carry some things I can't find easily elsewhere but I have yet to make an order.
    Last edited by RSG; 6th November 2020 at 05:50 PM.

Of course, as one never gets more than one pays for on an ongoing retail basis -- firesales and the like can be different -- it may also be concluded from that they beyond doubt they buy the cheapest material they can source.

One also has to look out for what seems like attempts at trickery -- for example, if one thinks they will be getting Fixateur 505 when buying "Fixative 505" from them because maybe they just wrote it wrong or something, especially as they say it is the replacement for Fixateur 404, and 505 is indeed the replacement for 404: nope.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by RSG View Post
    Can't beat their price per gram
    Just about any retail supplier can beat this outlandish price:

Cashmeran US$ 1.65 /gram

not considering shipping, for their price of 72g, I buy an entire kg. (AND* at the 1kg price, not even at the 10kg price...)

AND**** this is not even the most egregious pricing example I've seen from PW.
    Their PWx Factor was selling at $6.00/g, and it is 99.99% DPG!

I just don't need to get hornswoggled by PW for anything...
    Last edited by pkiler; 7th November 2020 at 12:28 AM.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Their ACs are fine and being able to order small amounts to try is an advantage. They also have some materials that are not avaliable elsewhere. However, some of their naturals are terrible. I threw away some Jasmine Sambac I ordered from them because it was more like petrol+nail varnish ��
    Currently wearing: Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent

Quote Originally Posted by Leshutch View Post
    Their ACs are fine and being able to order small amounts to try is an advantage. They also have some materials that are not avaliable elsewhere. However, some of their naturals are terrible. I threw away some Jasmine Sambac I ordered from them because it was more like petrol+nail varnish ��
    Hi!
    Interesting, appreciate your response. Could you tell me which naturals were good and which weren't? Woould save some headache and $
    There's also Pellwall, but the prices there are higher and minimum is usually 5g per material.

Blog Entries

Plus there is a bottle charge per. Fairly high if buying from the USA outlet of PW. There is a difference in quality as I have tested different common items. They don't list on their bottles how diluted their Galaxolide is, but it is not solid as I have gotten from other distributors. Some do not have CAS #'s. The information offered is for a hobbyist and one may risk selling their products if things are not listed correctly from PW. They do have some hard to find things though. May be worth it for one to keep as a resource. =)
    Currently wearing: Joy by Jean Patou

I wanted to buy AC's in small quantities from them. Now I'm in doubt!

Has anyone bought it and can you give me feedback on the quality?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by celo View Post

Perfumersworld is always to be avoided.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

I have order a couple of time...excellent packaging....nice shipping and ACs were fine...only Veramoss seem very faint rest was fine

Essential Oils an differ from supplier to supplier but aroma chemicals should smell the same
    If they were all absolutely pure and, where isomer variants exist, were all the same mix of isomers then the above would apply at all times to the real world of aromachemicals.

In practice, materials have impurities, and sometimes this makes a major difference to their performance. And in some cases, mixtures of isomers are different.

One thing that is not different though is that you don't get more than you pay for.

You may not get what you pay for, e.g. you could pay way over $100/oz for an "Absolute" and not get what you paid for, but you won't get more than you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by Fazal4822 View Post
    I have order a couple of time...excellent packaging....nice shipping and ACs were fine...only Veramoss seem very faint rest was fine
    Glad to hear I'm not the only one who finds Veramoss to be extremely subtle. I don't get why TGSC says "Odor Strength : high". Perhaps I'm still learning to smell it.

Quote Originally Posted by celo View Post

I have bought aromachemicals from Perfumers World. These were among my first purchases and I didn't have the knowledge to evaluate quality but I wasn't dissatisfied. PW doesn't specify manufacturer and the products are likely to be cheap generics. Sometimes it matters, but it didn't matter to me back then. There were some other things about the experience that bothered me, for example the SDS with musk ketone described it as a brown liquid, and when I queried that by email, the reply was that they used the same SDS for all their products, and did I really want an SDS specific for musk ketone?! (Which they then didn't supply.) The next time I had an issue with something they didn't answer at all.

Default PerfumersWorld's quality of Raw Materials?

This is concerning. I have only ordered from them twice and both times had no problems with any of the materials I received from them. They all seemed to be legit and of decent quality. Itís possible that I was just lucky for those 2 orders. But I am now hesitant to order from them. I have also been avoiding Perfumers Apprentice since their fake absolutes have come to light. This really only leaves Perfumers Supply House as a reliable source of synthetics. Is there another US distributor that will sell in small volume that I am unaware of?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Darren Alan
    www.darrenalan.com

While there have been some documented issues at CP & PA, these have been rare & circumscribed in scope. When it comes to synthetic materials that aren't particularly subject to isomeric or purity differences between sources, I have never had a single issue with either of these suppliers. If you are reasonably experienced & have the ability to smell if there is something wrong with what you have purchased, it seems fine to buy from them.

I still use them learning as a hobbyist and so far their AC's have seemed to be what info on here has explained to me that there characteristics are...For cost and learning purposes and time in travel (3 - 5 days) for me its great to learn with. To order from Europe/GB the expense is incredible and shipping times hideous and to order from the states is reasonably cost effective, shipping cost and times are a joke especially for me in the Western Australia! Two weeks plus to get to Aus... another week to get to the West of Aus and all that my Hedione is good for ...going through multiple time zones and temperature changes is A BABY VOMIT ACCORD!! well you get the idea! But yes... when I get to the point where I feel my compositions are decent, i will be ordering and using synthetics/materials from the higher rated Us/Eu/Uk Distributors!

I've been 2x buying from them, for me as long as the AC is matched with the description from TGSC. i think it's fine.. (newbie)
    I tried complaining once, that their sending an incomplete package on an email (no feedback reply). but i'm quite shocked the next day i received that added package (+ samples) without paying an extra tax & shipping cost

But, i would love to try buying the AC from PSH & Pell Wall!

Quote Originally Posted by WestOzDave View Post
    I still use them learning as a hobbyist and so far their AC's have seemed to be what info on here has explained to me that there characteristics are...For cost and learning purposes and time in travel (3 - 5 days) for me its great to learn with. To order from Europe/GB the expense is incredible and shipping times hideous and to order from the states is reasonably cost effective, shipping cost and times are a joke especially for me in the Western Australia! Two weeks plus to get to Aus... another week to get to the West of Aus and all that my Hedione is good for ...going through multiple time zones and temperature changes is A BABY VOMIT ACCORD!! well you get the idea! But yes... when I get to the point where I feel my compositions are decent, i will be ordering and using synthetics/materials from the higher rated Us/Eu/Uk Distributors!
    Your reasons make a lot of sense and one has to work within limits experienced.

My big caution would be that it has to be incredibly hard to genuinely keep track of and make decisions according to the fact that one really doesn't know for sure the properties of any material that has been purchased. I suppose it's fair to conclude that good properties will remain true, but apparent bad or useless properties may not.

I have only ordered once from there but to this day I have never ordered Osyrol again, as I got nothing out of their material claimed to be such. Is it possible that the genuine might have been a very useful material to me for years, and if I had not ordered from Perfumer's World I would have learned this on ordering later from someone else, but I missed out because I got junk? I don't know and really would have no way to know without doubling up ordering, which would in the end be more expensive than ordering from a sure source in the first place.

Anyway, it's something to watch out for that much of what you perceive and experience may not be so, due to probably never or at best rarely getting branded product where cheaper generics are available. One is probably always getting the absolute cheapest version that they can get their hands on.