Code of Conduct

Default Working with Iris Abs Synth 184031

I recently purchased some Iris Abs Synth 184031 from perfumer supply house. Unless im blind, I cannot find any info on the percentage to dilute this material.
    In a case like this, how do you guys determine how to dilute a material if the goodscentcompany site has no info on it?

Thank you

Default Re: Working with Iris Abs Synth 184031

There are two different related questions here:

Prediluted for use in making actual batches, and
    Prediluted for use in making test batches or for blotter work

The first for me is based on material being easy to handle, including not being overly strong odorwise to work with. So my aldehydes are prediluted for example, but Sampaquita (let's say) is not.

The second is based on being easy to measure accurately or being reasonable odor strengths for strips, which is from observation and expected use in formula. If having no idea how much I'd use in a formula, I would dilute only modestly at first until I knew better.

I have this Iris but got it only recently and have done nothing with it past a few sniffs by itself, and don't have a project needing it soon, so I can't really say where I'd have it in a formula. I would tend to think it would be convenient to do test work at 10% or, if you are generally at 20% for test work, at 20%.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Roberts View Post
    There are two different related questions here:

Prediluted for use in making actual batches, and
    Prediluted for use in making test batches or for blotter work

The first for me is based on material being easy to handle, including not being overly strong odorwise to work with. So my aldehydes are prediluted for example, but Sampaquita (let's say) is not.

The second is based on being easy to measure accurately or being reasonable odor strengths for strips, which is from observation and expected use in formula. If having no idea how much I'd use in a formula, I would dilute only modestly at first until I knew better.

I have this Iris but got it only recently and have done nothing with it past a few sniffs by itself, and don't have a project needing it soon, so I can't really say where I'd have it in a formula. I would tend to think it would be convenient to do test work at 10% or, if you are generally at 20% for test work, at 20%.
    Niiice! Thank you. that helped me out tremendously.

Basenotes Plus

It is in Good Scents...

http://www.thegoodscentscompany.com/...1.html#tosafiu

I wouldn't see a need to dilute this. Unless you work at a standard 10% or 20% dilution across the board, I would keep this 100%. Click on the demos link and see how they recommend using it, also.
    Andrew Hugg, Lieutenant Colonel, USAF (retired)

Quote Originally Posted by Devil's Son In Law View Post
    It is in Good Scents...

http://www.thegoodscentscompany.com/...1.html#tosafiu

I wouldn't see a need to dilute this. Unless you work at a standard 10% or 20% dilution across the board, I would keep this 100%. Click on the demos link and see how they recommend using it, also.
    Thank you for finding that man. So when you guys mention working with 10% or 20%, do you mean creating the perfume with each note at that percentage before creating the final product with the same notes but undiluted? I do know certain aldehydes need to be diluted.
    I have a long way to go

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by BonyMontana View Post
    Thank you for finding that man. So when you guys mention working with 10% or 20%, do you mean creating the perfume with each note at that percentage before creating the final product with the same notes but undiluted? I do know certain aldehydes need to be diluted.
    I have a long way to go
    No problem. No I just mean it is one way of working on experiments/trials... to dilute your working materials to a pre-set level, like 10%, 15%, or 20%. I like 20%, so I just take everything I have and add 4 times it's weight in alcohol, so I get 5 parts. 20% dilution. I use 5 times less material that way. Plus you are already at 20% when you make your trial, already a good level to evaluate. So when you drop your weights you are basically done and on to the next trial. But making a production batch, 100% is the definite way to go. Make it, mature it, then macerate in alcohol, then bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil's Son In Law View Post
    No problem. No I just mean it is one way of working on experiments/trials... to dilute your working materials to a pre-set level, like 10%, 15%, or 20%. I like 20%, so I just take everything I have and add 4 times it's weight in alcohol, so I get 5 parts. 20% dilution. I use 5 times less material that way. Plus you are already at 20% when you make your trial, already a good level to evaluate. So when you drop your weights you are basically done and on to the next trial. But making a production batch, 100% is the definite way to go. Make it, mature it, then macerate in alcohol, then bottle.
    Perfect explanation. I get it now. That makes sense. Working with material at 100% would be expensive lol. I learned something today. You all are awesome..

Basenotes Plus

No problem. I would recommend getting quality Boston rounds, darker is better to keep the light out. If you choose caps, get the ones with the Phenolic Cone rather than the ones with the cheap treated cardboard insert. Those will leak and your alcohol will evaporate. The cones will keep it sealed and you will very rarely ever have a problem. Buying bulk from a place like this is what I did...

https://www.premiumvials.com/glass/

https://www.newhigh.com/collections/oils-serums

If you don't make much perfume then, it probably isn't worth it. But if you do, then you will save thousands of dollars in the long run, easily. Just by your materials lasting 5 times longer. I would suggest the common things you use, like Hedione and ISO-E Super, in a 2oz or 4oz Boston round. Then work your way down to the 1/2 oz (15 ml) for materials used rarely.

Basenotes Plus

Phenolic plastic cap, and a polycone liner. Not what he said above.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Basenotes Plus

Glad that was cleared up.

Sweet! Just ordered some bottles and caps. Thank you

Basenotes Plus

That’s cool, what size (or sizes) did you get?

I went ahead with the 1oz bottles for now.

Basenotes Plus

Ok, for a 1 oz Boston, I recommend max 5 g of material for a 20% dilution. That will fill it to or near the top.

I have it diluted to 1%. This stuff contains 60-70% alpha irone, it's very powerful. You can add it much more freely at this level and it won't overpower.