Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default TF Ombre Leather Vs Tuscan Leather

Hey!

I have recently purchased some samples of both Ombre Leather and Tuscan Leather by TF. I love both.

I'm quite keen to purchase one, and with Ombre being under half the price, this seems like the logical place to start.

I just wanted to check in here first, I only got 3 wears out of each of my samples, and I want to ask if I am missing anything that typically comes out in the wash after 10+ wears with these fragrances? What, for anybody that is familiar with these fragrances, is the difference between them to warrant the price differential (apart from their own unique smell of course). Does one perform particularly better than the other etc?

TLDR; What is your recommendation between Ombre Leather / Tuscan Leather any why?

Default Re: TF Ombre Leather Vs Tuscan Leather

Ombre Leather would be my choice, independently of price. I found TL loud and boorish.

But had I to go for a modern leather fragrance, I would opt for Guerlain Cuir Intense or Acqua di Parma Colonia Leather. The 3 of them retail in the same price range (online).

I would re-iterate Andy's comments really.

Ombre Leather over TL any day.
    Ombre Leather has a wonderful cardamom/jasmine accord in the mid which sets it above TL to my nose. TL is too loud and actually quite bland.

Echo the sentiments on AdP Colonia Leather as well. I would pick this over TL.
    Currently wearing: Déclaration by Cartier

Ombre Leather has a cheap woody/amber base that features Norlimbanol, if you're into that sort of thing.
    I prefer Tuscan Leather, no corners were cut.
    My opinions in weblog form: FragranceReviewer.com
    Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

I prefer Ombre. Tuscan feels like it's better quality but I don't enjoy the raspberry at all.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Ombre over Tuscan.

Tuscan has a harshness to it that I don’t like. The blending in Ombre seems better handled, it smells better to me and it layers well too.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Andy the frenchy View Post
    Ombre Leather would be my choice, independently of price. I found TL loud and boorish.

But had I to go for a modern leather fragrance, I would opt for Guerlain Cuir Intense or Acqua di Parma Colonia Leather. The 3 of them retail in the same price range (online).
    Fully agree and own OL, CI, and CL. Have also found TL to be too shouty.
    Currently wearing: Opus IX by Amouage

Guerlain Cuir Intense is absolutely horrendous. Trust me: completely disregard that advice. Whatever faults the TF leathers have they are far, far superior to the Guerlain - it is a cloying mess of a fragrance that literally lasts days, if not weeks, on skin. It's harsh, caustic, synthetic, and a completle mess of amberwood and a bitter, acidic new leather smell. Avoid it at all costs - or better yet, get a sample and experience the monstrosity for yourself.

Ombre Leather would be my suggestion based on price. It's decent, more wearable, less loud and less feminine than Tuscan Leather in my opinion. But, if you like both but weren't sold on either, I'd keep sampling and trying other leather scents. Chances are there's something you'll prefer to both just around the corner.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I'd go with the former of the two.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

OL 100%
    Current Favorites:
    African Leather, Ombre Nomade, Costume National Homme, Fahrenheit (EDT and Le Parfum), Ombre Leather, TF Extreme, Ormonde Man, Rogue Derviche, CdG Kyoto

Thanks all for your opinions. I see a very strong bias towards OL, and I tend to agree with most of them, although I need to give TL another sample just to put it to rest.

I've also ordered a sample of ADP Colonia Leather so I can compare, may ask for a bottle for Xmas.

It's been a while since I've sampled but I prefer TL Intense over the original TL, as well as over OL.

Tuscan Leather for me. It's a bit more rock n roll to my nose. I don't like the floral aspects in OL. Also, Drake wrote a song about TL - that's either good news or bad news haha.
    "No one wants advice - only corroboration." - John Steinbeck

Tuscan Leather pre reform!
    FREE AS THE WIND!

I regret not buying a few OL 2018 100ml bottles from Maxaroma for $118 when they had them, could be a long while before they are back at that price let alone available!

Quote Originally Posted by hellbentforleather View Post
    Tuscan Leather for me. It's a bit more rock n roll to my nose. I don't like the floral aspects in OL. Also, Drake wrote a song about TL - that's either good news or bad news haha.
    Baddest news.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaMav View Post
    Ombre Leather has a cheap woody/amber base that features Norlimbanol, if you're into that sort of thing.
    I prefer Tuscan Leather, no corners were cut.
    They didn't cut corners in OL, just mistakes

TUSCAN LEATHER all day

I like tuscan leather more than the other... Ive gotten compliments on both in real life. I think they smell similar personally however curiously I have had some girls before tell me they like ombre more than TL despite the similarities.

I prefer Ombre Leather - feels more masculine to me and more of a straight up leather
    Formerly known as BeardedBarbershopFan - Still have a beard and still a barbershop fan

Another for OMBRE LEATHER.

TUSCAN LEATHER was too loud for me and I wasn't really a fan of the raspberry note.
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.

I'd give the nod to Tuscan Leather but only for the earlier release bottles.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

TL wins.

OL is nice. But makes me sneeze.

everyday i'm samplin'

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbouti View Post
    Tuscan has a harshness to it that I don’t like. The blending in Ombre seems better handled, it smells better to me and it layers well too.
    I would agree that the blending is better done in the Ombre.

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    Guerlain Cuir Intense is absolutely horrendous. Trust me: completely disregard that advice. Whatever faults the TF leathers have they are far, far superior to the Guerlain - it is a cloying mess of a fragrance that literally lasts days, if not weeks, on skin. It's harsh, caustic, synthetic, and a completle mess of amberwood and a bitter, acidic new leather smell. Avoid it at all costs - or better yet, get a sample and experience the monstrosity for yourself.

Ombre Leather would be my suggestion based on price. It's decent, more wearable, less loud and less feminine than Tuscan Leather in my opinion. But, if you like both but weren't sold on either, I'd keep sampling and trying other leather scents. Chances are there's something you'll prefer to both just around the corner.
    Lol. I actually really like Cuir Intense. It took me a bit. There was an initial phase where I was just sad that it was so sweet and wasn't a proper "cuir" to me, like a Knize or a Cannage, but I do like it. That osmanthus instead of the raspberry gives it almost a bitter touch. It does get pretty chemically in the drydown. Wasser really was dumping those aromachems in there in abundance, and I concur it lasts all day. I would have probably labeled this as ambroxy peachy leather.
    Quote Originally Posted by hellbentforleather View Post
    I think this is for me as well. That is a great way to describe it. Tuscan Leather is more rock and roll. Ombre is much easier to get along with, and better blended. But it does lean on those crowd pleasing cheap aromachems, and becomes a bit wrote at times. They smell fairly different to me, though they both smell more like Rasasi La Yuqawam that they do each other. They are all clearly related. Honestly Id suggest buying the Rasasi for $60. Go buy an 8ml of it from Maxaroma, its like $16 with free shipping and no tax right now I believe. Presentation is really nice on that bottle as well.
    For what its worth the only one I own currently of those 3 is Ombre Leather. I
    I smell.
    Currently wearing: MAAI by Bogue Profumo

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Tuscan Leather is louder, more artistic, and more challenging.

Ombre Leather is slightly less interesting than TL, not quite as loud, but also smoother, easier to wear, and personally, it's a more enjoyable experience. It's a fantastic leather scent.

I prefer OL because I think TL is one of the most disliked fragrances I've ever sampled.
    Basenotes sales: TDC de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/472...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

OL > TL

I like both of them, but I prefer Tuscan Leather.

My favorite of the TF leathers is Ombré Leather 16 (smoother than TL, more refined than OL18), but it's a unicorn now so I feel bad for even mentioning it.

My contemporary leather of choice is Floris Leather Oud.

I like Tuscan Leather over both Ombré Leather 16 and Ombré Leather 18, but I find the latter(s) easier to wear as on some days I find TL's raspberry very overwhelming.

I prefer Tuscan Leather Intense over all 3 of them though.
    MAGA
    Currently wearing: Azure Lime by Tom Ford