Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Ralph Lauren Polo , similar, influenced, or variants fragrances

I fell in love with Modern Reserve when it first came out, and when it was discontinued I went through pretty much every single recommendation to find a replacement:

Italian Cypress - this is way more of a Halston Z14 clone, not close to polo

The same goes for Duc de Vervins, Escencia, Tsar; these are all more soapy than the sharp evergreen of Polo (they are all decent in their own right, Tsar being my favorite).

Unfortunately, the closest you will get to Polo is Modern Reserve, Crest, and Chevignon. For a budget, my recommendation would be to go for Chevignon while it is still somewhat affordable ($40 for 50ml on ebay).

I personally bit the bullet and bought every bottle of Modern Reserve I could find under $100, including two of those giant 240ml / 8 oz limited edition bottles. I am probably set for life now, but it is strange that its been so long without a suitable revival of this fragrance, I would have figured a niche house would have resurrected this as an EdP. My guess is that the original polo has its adherents who don't bother to stray, and everyone else is more drawn to the freshies and orientals.

Regarding Antaeus, I remember it being fairly animalic and nothing at all like polo (other than being "80s heavy" fragrances).
    I can provide decants of anything I post about!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    All this talk of Esencia Loewe has led me to do a few searches on it. We only have one entry in the BN directory but other sites list several versions.

I can see there's a vintage EdT, a modern EdT and a modern EdP. Can anyone comment on these and the differences between them? Happy to start a new thread on this so as not to hijack this thread.

I have enjoyed the EDT for years and have the EDP on my wish list so looking forward to getting my nose on it soon.....

“Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.”
    ― Mark Twain

I have a bottle of Modern Reserve en route. Curious to see how it compares to Polo past and Polo present.

Blog Entries

All this talk of Esencia Loewe has led me to do a few searches on it. We only have one entry in the BN directory but other sites list several versions.

I can see there's a vintage EdT, a modern EdT and a modern EdP. Can anyone comment on these and the differences between them? Happy to start a new thread on this so as not to hijack this thread.
    I own the modern EDT, but I've also smelled vintage, and they're pretty close. Unlike with Polo where vintage and modern are drastically different, Esencia is just a powerhouse in the 80's version, and more tame and discreet (but still strong imo) in the modern. As for the EDP, I knew they released some metallic looking bottles of Loewe pH, Esencia, and I think 7, and maybe another, then I think they did "Sport" versions of all of them, it's hard to keep up, especially since this brand is hard to find in the US.

I haven't worn Esencia in a while, and around the time I bought it, probably 7 years ago now, it was kind of hard to find, even online. I haven't checked the batch or anything on mine, but I would say it's at least 7 years old, which is enough time for them to reformulate, since it seems every fragrance gets a makeover every 10 years now. As for the smell, more in depth, I think it's way better than current Polo, but definitely doesn't hold a candle to Cosmair Polo. Polo is more fresh to me, with green notes, spruce and pine, while Esencia is more deep with leather and woods, I think it has a lot more going on than Polo. I never understood why vintage Polo was so sought after until I tried it.. now that I've tried it, I am always on the hunt for vintage Polo at good prices.

For me, it's just easiest to compare Polo to Esencia, kind of like how people compare Cool Water to GIT.. it's like, it's the closest thing to it, but it's not a clone. Esencia also reminds me of the current version of Genghis Khan.

Also, just took a gander at Fragrantica and they are saying the Esencia EDP is an Aventus clone, despite the notes. I can't see how those notes listed there could be anything like Aventus??
    Currently wearing: Mukhallat by Montale

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post

Also, just took a gander at Fragrantica and they are saying the Esencia EDP is an Aventus clone, despite the notes. I can't see how those notes listed there could be anything like Aventus??
    6107eb230e5b17a1a549a26a6694982d.jpg

“Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.”
    ― Mark Twain

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    I have a bottle of Modern Reserve en route. Curious to see how it compares to Polo past and Polo present.
    I'm sure you will dig it, but IMO it is closer to Polo Crest than Polo Green.....

― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by The Cologne Cabinet View Post
    I'm sure you will dig it, but IMO it is closer to Polo Crest than Polo Green.....
    I haven't tried Crest.

Blog Entries

Modern Reserve is just a peppery grassy lighter Polo to me. It's interesting at first, but gets boring. Looking forward to your comments once trying it.
    Currently wearing: Mukhallat by Montale

I'm wearing Modern Reserve right now.

There's definitely shared DNA with Polo original, but really this is its own beast. It's a variation on similar themes--a green, herbaceous leather with a similar core accord--but all the stuff that defined Polo (the pine, the ashy tobacco, the kind of rawhide leather) are traded for cleaner, zestier elements (juniper, myrrh, suede).

I think it's very nice, a fine clean leather scent that's finely built, but perhaps not worthy of unicorn-level admiration. It's better-blended than the current version of Polo, but isn't as nicely put together as, say, Floris 1962.

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

I'm wearing Modern Reserve right now.

There's definitely shared DNA with Polo original, but really this is its own beast. It's a variation on similar themes--a green, herbaceous leather with a similar core accord--but all the stuff that defined Polo (the pine, the ashy tobacco, the kind of rawhide leather) are traded for cleaner, zestier elements (juniper, myrrh, suede).

I think it's very nice, a fine clean leather scent that's finely built, but perhaps not worthy of unicorn-level admiration. It's better-blended than the current version of Polo, but isn't as nicely put together as, say, Floris 1962.
    Is this a keeper for you??
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Modern Reserve is a thumbs sideways for me.

Vintage Escencia is fine, but feels thin compared to Polo.

My favorite Polo "cousin" is Floris 1962--I prefer it to Polo, in fact--but it's not a "Polo clone" or whatever. It's doing its own thing.
    Surprised 1962 didn’t come up earlier. It’s my favorite cousin too

LOVED Modern Reserve too but won’t go out of way for it.
    "Desperation is a stinky cologne."
    --Super Troopers
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Is this a keeper for you??
    No idea! We'll see.

I'd guess that it won't be a long-term keeper, but it'll probably hang out in my collection through springtime.

I have some other things in this general style that I'll probably wear more often, but Modern Reserve does have a unique "clean suede" thing going on that is appealing.

No idea! We'll see.

I'd guess that it won't be a long-term keeper, but it'll probably hang out in my collection through springtime.

I have some other things in this general style that I'll probably wear more often, but Modern Reserve does have a unique "clean suede" thing going on that is appealing.
    Keep your old pal posted, buddy. Lol

Basenotes Plus

+2 I'm calling first alternate now!

― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by The Cologne Cabinet View Post
    +2 I'm calling first alternate now!
    Easy, now. This doesn't reinvent the wheel, and if you're Polo addicts you're better off just buying another bottle of some precious Cosmair juice.

Like I said, I think it's nice. Feels like a predecessor to the recent Dunhill British Leather release.

Just saying! Lol
    It's not like Polo is flanker happy, so it would be nice to have at some point down the road.

Check out Bogart (signature) by Jacques Bogart.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    I own the modern EDT, but I've also smelled vintage, and they're pretty close. Unlike with Polo where vintage and modern are drastically different, Esencia is just a powerhouse in the 80's version, and more tame and discreet (but still strong imo) in the modern. As for the EDP, I knew they released some metallic looking bottles of Loewe pH, Esencia, and I think 7, and maybe another, then I think they did "Sport" versions of all of them, it's hard to keep up, especially since this brand is hard to find in the US.

I haven't worn Esencia in a while, and around the time I bought it, probably 7 years ago now, it was kind of hard to find, even online. I haven't checked the batch or anything on mine, but I would say it's at least 7 years old, which is enough time for them to reformulate, since it seems every fragrance gets a makeover every 10 years now. As for the smell, more in depth, I think it's way better than current Polo, but definitely doesn't hold a candle to Cosmair Polo. Polo is more fresh to me, with green notes, spruce and pine, while Esencia is more deep with leather and woods, I think it has a lot more going on than Polo. I never understood why vintage Polo was so sought after until I tried it.. now that I've tried it, I am always on the hunt for vintage Polo at good prices.

For me, it's just easiest to compare Polo to Esencia, kind of like how people compare Cool Water to GIT.. it's like, it's the closest thing to it, but it's not a clone. Esencia also reminds me of the current version of Genghis Khan.

Thanks for this. Since your post, I have been able to source samples of both the modern and vintage EdT of this scent. I quite agree that they are both very similar, with the vintage even having a slightly urinal opening, though it does dry down very quickly.

I would say the EL is closer to Quorum than Polo, less the tobacco. It's also fresh-green, rather than herbaceous-green (as is Quorum). EL also has more woods and pine, which is currently my favourite genre. The dry down is also quite good and fairly long lasting.
    Last edited by rum; 3rd December 2020 at 04:54 PM.

Heaven's made of oakmoss

Thanks for this. Since your post, I have been able to source samples of both the modern and vintage EdT of this scent. I quite agree that they are both very similar, with the vintage even having a slightly urinal opening, though it does dry down very quickly.

I would say the EL is closer to Quorum than Polo, less the tobacco. It's also fresh-green, rather than herbaceous-green (as is Quorum). EL also has more woods and pine, which is currently my favourite genre. The dry down is also quite good and fairly long lasting, therefore I have a bottle on the way
    Nicely done!
    Non IFRA Compliant & proud of it!