Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Do they still make any rich scented fragrances like how fragrances used to be made?

Picture this. You are at the fragrance shop during sometime in the 1980s or before. You spray on a fragrance. It could be any type, citrus or green or almost anything. You get this rich, full bodied scent. Some call it thick, that also lasts yet is not overwhelming. In other words a real cologne or perfume made the old fashioned way. Do they still make any colognes and perfumes like that? If so can you name some?

Default Re: Do they still make any rich scented fragrances like how fragrances used to be made?

The fragrances of today are far richer and better quality than those from the 80s!

Almost any Roja, Creed, Xerjoff, Amouage or Tom Ford PB.

Default Re: Do they still make any rich scented fragrances like how fragrances used to be made?

Parfums di Nicolai - New York Intense
    My opinions in weblog form: FragranceReviewer.com
    Fragrance Sales: eBay Store | Basenotes - Creeds / Lubins / Chopard / Guerlain / Evody / Lalique / BOIS 1920
    Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

Quote Originally Posted by ccdan View Post
    The fragrances of today are far richer and better quality than those from the 80s!

I have to disagree. Also those are very expensive brands and the only one of those I ever tried were samples of a few from Creed. Decades ago you could pick up even a pretty low priced cologne or perfume with all the characteristics I mentioned above.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaMav View Post
    This. I’m not super keen on it but it fits your bill.

Dependent

Of course they do! There’s so many amazing rich, complex and daring compositions happening it’s almost a shame to look at perfumery in 2020 as a dead art that’s seen it’s better days decades ago. I’m in the minority here but I truly believe we’re witnessing a beautiful revolution in modern perfumery and this will be a turning point that future generations will look back on with awe.

Just to name a few

Slumberhouse - Sova

Dusita - Oud Infini

Areej le Dore - Agar de Noir

Ensar Oud - Tigerlust

Bortnikoff - Oud Maximus

Franscesca Bianchi - Sticky Fingers

Rogue Perfumery - Mousse Illuminee

Papillon - Bengal Rouge

Sultan Pasha - Iris Soir and Tabacarum

Histories de Parfums - 1740 and 1725

Elixir Attar - Iris Chypre and Amular

Teone Reonthal TRNP - Embers 2012 (difficult for me but loved by many)

The list goes on and on!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mayberry2 View Post
    I have to disagree. Also those are very expensive brands and the only one of those I ever tried were samples of a few from Creed. Decades ago you could pick up even a pretty low priced cologne or perfume with all the characteristics I mentioned above.
    I'd gladly hear which ones you are referring to. That said I might understand your perplexity if the only "luxury" brand you have tried is Creed, that I personally find just slightly above average.
    Currently wearing: Resina by Oliver & Co.

Banned

I agree for Roja and Amouage.

Banned

Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    Louis Vuitton Nouveau Monde

Sound Scents

Picture this. You are at the fragrance shop during sometime in the 1980s or before. You spray on a fragrance. It could be any type, citrus or green or almost anything. You get this rich, full bodied scent. Some call it thick, that also lasts yet is not overwhelming. In other words a real cologne or perfume made the old fashioned way. Do they still make any colognes and perfumes like that? If so can you name some?
    The 80s certainly are my favorite decade for perfumery, and I love most of its output... Finding that kind of overall perfume composition output is tougher nowadays, but there are some that make the grade... Most of the Rogue Perfumery offerings fit the bill, for example. I recommend Jasmin Antique and Chypre-Siam in particular. On the designer front, I recommend compositions like Montana Black Edition.
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Jasmin Antique (Rogue Perfumery)
    3) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie
    3) Giorgio V.I.P. Special Reserve (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie

5) Dia pour Homme vintage edt (Amouage)

6) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    7) Nombre Noir (Shiseido)
    8) Lucifer (Renaissance Fragrances) - tie
    8) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    8) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie

I also have to disagree. Old fragrances were mostly poor quality and smelled pretty bad. We can even talk about the so called "classics" that resist in some form even today. Cheesy stuff for the most part.

Here's more recent, cheaper, designer stuff. Take for example Opium pour Homme - 1995. Too early? Ok, let get to Terre d'Hermes - 2006. Still too early? DHI,DHP, Bleu de Chanel, Pure Havane, Pure Malt, Boss The Scent Private Accord, Gucci Guilty Absolute, TF Noir Extreme/Anthracite, Bvlgari Black. V&R Spicebomb, Narciso Rodriguez for Him. etc... or fresh stuff: AdG EDT/Essenza/Profumo, Prada Amber PH, Versace PH, YSL La Nuit, Y, Dior Homme Cologne 2013/2017, Versace Eau Fraiche etc etc.

Some good suggestions thus far. I'll throw in Bogue Profumo as something that hasn't been mentioned yet. The perfumer (Antonio Gardoni) has a style which is very much full bodied and complex.

Nicolai has a very classical style in general

There's a lot of rich scents today that a walk in any major department store will have dozens. Even Sauvage is rich and thick.

Sure. In the more expensive side: check out Fragrance du Bois, Kemi, Amouage, By Kilian, Memo, Histories des Parfums, some Profvmvm Roma, some Frédéric Malle, Serge Lutens (the classical brand with rich fragrances)...
    More popular: some Diors like Oud Ispahan, Leather Oud, Ambre Nuit, some YSL like M7 Oud Absolu, Rive Gauche and some from the Le Vestiaire de Parfums, Montblanc Individuel, Dior Homme, Valentino Uomo, Burberry London, Touch and their exclusive line like Antique Oak, the Jean Paul Gaultiers, the Thierry Muglers, many Guerlains...
    Those are the ones I can remember from the top of my mind and of course many are not from popular liking.
    If you are willing to pan the feminine shelves than this number can increase significantly.
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.
    Currently wearing: Higher by Christian Dior

Quote Originally Posted by GoldWineMemories View Post
    There's a lot of rich scents today that a walk in any major department store will have dozens. Even Sauvage is rich and thick.
    Personally I find Sauvage very thin. It lasts and projects but it is almost a perfect example of the opposite of the rich full bodied colognes and perfumes from decades ago. It is hard for me to explain exactly what I mean via typed words. However I think those that were around back in the 1980s and before and tried some fragrances back then may know what I am referring to.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Do they still make any colognes and perfumes like that? If so can you name some?
    Those by Henry Jacques
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Banned

Personally I find Sauvage very thin. It lasts and projects but it is almost a perfect example of the opposite of the rich full bodied colognes and perfumes. from decades ago. It is hard for me to explain exactly what I mean via typed words. However I think those that were around back in the 1980s and before and tried some fragrances back then may know what I am referring to.
    Again, if you cite a few, that might help who was not in your to-go store in the 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy the frenchy View Post
    Again, if you cite a few, that might help who was not in your to-go store in the 80s.
    Everything from drugstore fragrances to designer. Even aftershaves. 2 examples of many, Paco Rabanne Pour Homme. It used to be really amazing, now it is still fairly nice but thinned out. Aqua Velva Aftershave used to have a real nice scent cloud, now it is a thin shadow of what it used to be.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by MegaMav View Post
    I agree

Yes and no.

Yes, in certain parts of the world. Namely the Middle East. Yes also from certain brands - small and large - that create specifically loud or vintage-inspired retro fragrances.

But mostly, no.

Try this thread for more thoughts on at least one major 'type' within this bracket: https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...ragrances-gone
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Personally I find Sauvage very thin. It lasts and projects but it is almost a perfect example of the opposite of the rich full bodied colognes and perfumes from decades ago. It is hard for me to explain exactly what I mean via typed words. However I think those that were around back in the 1980s and before and tried some fragrances back then may know what I am referring to.
    I disagree. I find the style is different, and I much prefer the older style, but Sauvage, Eros, Acqua di Gio Profumo, all rich and thick. I think our misunderstanding is perhaps the richness or thickness is being attributed to certain materials that aren't in use or style anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Castingshadows View Post

Papillon - Bengal Rouge

!
    This must have been the 5th or 6th time I've seen this mentioned in glowing terms by different people online in the last...pfffttt...3-4 weeks maybe?

I'm so glad I bought a sample, it's so bang average and unexceptional. It's not a 'bad' fragrance but it's the epitome of 'niche-ade': saffron opening, a bit spicy and incensey at the top, and then dries down in to non-descript and boring nothingness. Maybe a bit of woods, a bit of amber, a bit of...blah.

Hype is a truly horrendous thing and I think this epitomises what the OP feels is lacking - he's not wrong. If Papillon is held up as some kind of sign that things aren't 'bad' in terms of artistic powerhouses...me oh my...

To jump the gun somewhat, is this thread basically itching at the issue between top notes v base notes?

Clearly, modern perfumery is far, far superior when it comes to the 'opening' of a fragrance. That's clearly true - fragrances are made to 'compete' in physical stores, or at least were, no one wants to 'wait' for the awkward alcohol smell and 'rough' mix of ingredients to dry down before making a purchase. But it's possible to argue that the latter stages of wearing - and the base - was better in the past.

Is that where this thread is heading?

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    To jump the gun somewhat, is this thread basically itching at the issue between top notes v base notes?

Clearly, modern perfumery is far, far superior when it comes to the 'opening' of a fragrance. That's clearly true - fragrances are made to 'compete' in physical stores, or at least were, no one wants to 'wait' for the awkward alcohol smell and 'rough' mix of ingredients to dry down before making a purchase. But it's possible to argue that the latter stages of wearing - and the base - was better in the past.

Is that where this thread is heading?
    It is possible to argue that, and it may be even be true. However, I think enthusiasts and obsessives here, of which anyone who cares enough to talk about this in depth about is, must acknowledge implicit biases against modern perfumes. Of the exact of these bias I'd rather not get into, that's for you to find out and accept on your own (I make this as a general statement not directed at you specifically). I think it's a very fair statement to say perfumes of the modern time are different than that of before. I think it is a valid opinion to hold that older perfumes are more pleasing in style, and you or I find them more beautiful than the perfumes of today. I don't think it's a just statement to say perfumes of the modern age are thin, sickly, or not-rich. If you look for that you can find it, and if you look for those that are rich, thick, decadent, full, and beautiful you can also find these in spades.

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoldWineMemories View Post
    I think our misunderstanding is perhaps the richness or thickness is being attributed to certain materials that aren't in use or style anymore.
    Reading this thread this was my thought. It might be helpful if we could get a better feel for what the OP means by richness and thickness. Is it, like you suggest, from materials like oak moss that aren't in use or style any more, or is it a more stylistic thing. His examples of Paco Rabanne Pour Homme and Aqua Velva make me suspect that the thinness that plagues him is a result of certain materials being restricted and how the perfumers have tried to compensate for that.

It's also a stylistic thing that has gone out of fashion. As I'm not a fan of old school scents, I'm not well placed to answer, but my impression is that those still chasing that feeling have little choice but to seek it out in expensive niche, as well as artisanal perfumers who can ignore the restrictions.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

Banned

Everything from drugstore fragrances to designer. Even aftershaves. 2 examples of many, Paco Rabanne Pour Homme. It used to be really amazing, now it is still fairly nice but thinned out. Aqua Velva Aftershave used to have a real nice scent cloud, now it is a thin shadow of what it used to be.
    Ok. So yes 80’s citrus/mossy powerhouses (what you are apparently referring to) have been probably a bit remixed and they dont smell exactly like in the past, but there are many examples of fragrances that are still very decent.
    Because of the “globalisation” of access to the luxury market, it is now hard to find decent fragrances in malls/sephora/basic dept stores and if one want the real great stuff, it is to be found in luxury dept stores and independent perfume stores.
    Sephora and malls does not deliver great perfumery, just an illusion of it. Great perfumery was expensve 40yrs ago, and still is (for recent releases - excluding discounters/ebay).

That said, aside of these green or leathery bulldozers you re referring to, there are plenty of new stuff that has been created since, not only because of blending, but thanks to advances in chemistry. And stating that there’s basically nothing interesting around since 20/30years is just unnacurate.
    We are living, since the 5-10 years, a new golden age of perfumery, not only in amounts, but also creativity. Creativity means innovating, not copying relics of the past. And I m personally glad that grocery stores style perfume are gone. But for sure such innovation, it’s not at Sephora or Creed that it will be found. (Most of the Creed I ve tried are refined, but indeed thin).

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    It's also a stylistic thing that has gone out of fashion.
    This.
    Sometimes a regrettable thing, but many times it’s not, imo. As for the materials, honestly, I m happy with the amount of bitter moss there is now in fragrances, because when there’s too much, honestly, it makes me nauseatous. In a nutshell: I feel that some oldies have been positively impacted by reformulations lol

Agree.