Code of Conduct

Default How can I make this composition more intense?

I'm extremely new to making fragrances, and I've been experimenting with minimalist fragrances with a fair bit of success. Today I made a really cozy milky sandalwood fragrance, but at 30% it really isn't that strong. I know it's mostly composed of base notes, but still, I was hoping for more.

Here's the formula from my spreadsheet.
    Iso E Super 20% 3.5g (I know this is a lot of Iso E Super, but it's fairly common)
    Javanol 10% 0.35g
    Iralia Total 10% 0.25g
    Bois d'Incense 10% 0.40g
    Bacdanol 10% 0.5g
    Bicyclononalactone 12.5% 0.5g
    Bergamot 25% 0.25g
    Sanjinol 10% 0.25g

If you were to add more of the above aroma chemicals, what would you add?

Default Re: How can I make this composition more intense?

Quote Originally Posted by based_note View Post
    I'm extremely new to making fragrances, and I've been experimenting with minimalist fragrances with a fair bit of success. Today I made a really cozy milky sandalwood fragrance, but at 30% it really isn't that strong. I know it's mostly composed of base notes, but still, I was hoping for more.

Here's the formula from my spreadsheet.
    Iso E Super 20% 3.5g (I know this is a lot of Iso E Super, but it's fairly common)
    Javanol 10% 0.35g
    Iralia Total 10% 0.25g
    Bois d'Incense 10% 0.40g
    Bacdanol 10% 0.5g
    Bicyclononalactone 12.5% 0.5g
    Bergamot 25% 0.25g
    Sanjinol 10% 0.25g

If you were to add more of the above aroma chemicals, what would you add?
    Make it without the IES and see what happens. Also, you might try decreasing the bicyclonolactone

Quote Originally Posted by I.D.Adam View Post
    Make it without the IES and see what happens. Also, you might try decreasing the bicyclonolactone
    I'll try that, thanks. Is IES known to make stuff less diffusive?

His advice is taught (and yes ies can flatten a bit, which is almost it’s purpose), but ultimately you’re going to want this composition to sit on something. It could float on its own or jump from a boat. I encourage you to find it a boat to leap from. Musks (transparent or not), fixatives, diffusers, the usual suspects for "pop" etc.. find your MSG, make it sing.

Also are you atomizing it in carrier or evaluating neat? These things deeply affect perception

Iralia can cause olfactory fatigue. I'd maybe cut it in half?

Also seems like an enormous amount of javanol.

I would recommend you actually keep the IES, but only a tiny amount. Right now it appears to be about 70% of your formula, which is a huge percentage! Try it at 0.10 and adjust from there.
    The way to create perfumes that are more intense is to use materials that have a high odor strength, and also ideally a low odor threshold.
    Materials like Ethyl Acetate, Melonal, and Calone are incredibly powerful and even trace amounts really come through.
    None of your materials are that strong. Bergamot and Iralia are decent, but they don’t make up enough of the formula to create the intensity you’re looking for.
    Maybe switch out the Iralia for Isoradleine 95, and add a touch of Citral, or Ambrocenide to help lift everything else. But just a tiny bit to start with. About 0.02 at 10%, increasing until you find the smell you’re looking for.

You want cozy sandalwood? I'd add a touch of Patchuli for depth, ethyl vanillin for milkines and a touch of amber extreme, in the top I'd add a trace of aldehyde c14, vertenex or a trace of verdox for Woody pleasant top. In the heart Hedione for diffusion and maybe some floral molecules in the middle like mayol or even better hexyl cinnamic aldehyde etc. and a trace of freshness like dihydromyrcenol. Then some musks like galaxolide, cashmeran the powderier the better. I would also add cedramber and some other Woody molecule like Vertofix or Trimofix od wood base.
    Last edited by perfectscent; 22nd November 2020 at 01:40 PM.

You have an enormous amount of IES in your blend relative to the other materials. Make it without, smell it and evaluate, see what you think, then make it with 1-5% of IES and reeval.

I would recommend you to increase Bergamot; decrease Bicyclononalactone, Iso E Super, Javanol, Iralia and Bois d'Encens; add some Hedione, Ambroxan, traces of: Cashmeran, Dihydromyrcenol or Dimetol.
    Filipe L.
    Accords, bases and perfume formulas: https://creative-formulas.com/

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. I'm going to try some of these out and will report back.