Code of Conduct
Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Synchronized Fridays 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Kotori View Post
    Now on to Gucci Rush— which to me smells like a hair salon in the best way, and hits you like an opaque red bomb. I never really smell the notes they say are represented here, except maybe peach. I just smell Rush.
    I keep trying to figure out Rush, especially the “patchouli” that comes to define so many feminine perfumes in the early 2000’s and DOESN’T SMELL AT ALL LIKE PATCHOULI.

My apologies for the caps. I just wonder how a natural perfume material, one used for centuries, can be morphed into something completely different, but retaining the same name. So one learns to call this note “patchouli” but the other one is still out there. I’ve read somewhere that these “chouli” scents use a patchouli derivative or isolate that strips patchouli of all its undesirable, funky associations. I don’t mind chouli, but I like patchouli more.

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    I keep trying to figure out Rush, especially the “patchouli” that comes to define so many feminine perfumes in the early 2000’s and DOESN’T SMELL AT ALL LIKE PATCHOULI.

My apologies for the caps. I just wonder how a natural perfume material, one used for centuries, can be morphed into something completely different, but retaining the same name. So one learns to call this note “patchouli” but the other one is still out there. I’ve read somewhere that these “chouli” scents use a patchouli derivative or isolate that strips patchouli of all its undesirable, funky associations. I don’t mind chouli, but I like patchouli more.
    Huh. Hadn’t thought about it. Sort of like the modified oakmoss they’re using now.

With Rush, it’s kind of like that dress picture that went viral in maybe 2015: the white + gold or blue + black one (below).

Sometimes I smell Rush and it smells like a peachy fruitchouli similar to HdP 1969 or Fruitchouli Flash. Other times it smells oddly like a pine forest combined with some industrial elements (like hairdryers). Can’t decide, really. But I do love it.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.
    Currently wearing: No. 5 L'Eau by Chanel

Not at all familiar with any Jesus del Pozo scent, but the name was intriguing so I looked it up. I see there is a matching On Ella, both from 2001.

Thank you for the reply. In the end went with for On El incidentally and also happened to like its twin scent On Ella - a wonderfully rich but also fresh early 2000s versatile Mediterranean scent, with just the right amount of eclecticism surprisingly well assorted and harmonized.
    While sweet, spicy notes on one hand and icier or more conservative, restrained ones do get appropriate performance, projection and balance.
    Currently wearing: Derrick by Orlane

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Dammit, now I'm sorry I used L'Elephant for last week's sync. It truly is everything but the kitchen sink.
    No reason to not wear the same perfume twice, is there?
    Modern, Nice & Vintage for sale here!

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by ineespenes View Post
    Thanks for the explanation I tried to Google it, but still didn't quite grasp the idea I'll see what I can find, but I think I will have to wait until after work
    I think in America, too, there's an element of humor to it, and it's usually inclusive: "they used everything but the kitchen sink" or "it's everything but the kitchen sink" - meaning, whatever "it" is, is pretty wild and couldn't have been predictable.
    An example that springs to mind would be if in knitwear, a sweater was crated using cables AND intarsia AND stranded knitting AND bobbles AND garter stitch... like Molly Weasley's wardrobe, basically.

Basenotes Member

I think everyone has their own favorite landing page when they first log in here. I first go to my own Activity Page to see the recent posts of people who are in my Friends list.

But I've heard a lot of guys say in other threads that they only check out the Male Forum for new posts.
    Maybe if they're that tunnel-visioned, they're better off there?

Basenotes Member

Well, I was all set to go with Jungle L'Elephant, but then the weather cleared and I remembered Interlude (woman), another awesome everything but the kitchen sink perfume, and went there instead. My bottle has really settled down since its purchase though, and I experienced just a smooth kiwi-leather instead. 25 notes from Fragrantica:

Top notes are Marigold, Ginger, Grapefruit and Bergamot; middle notes are Incense, Walnut, Immortelle, Kiwi, Honey, Opoponax, Coffee, Sandalwood, Rose, Orange Blossom and Jasmine; base notes are Leather, Benzoin, Agarwood (Oud), Sandalwood, Tonka Bean, Amber, Oakmoss, Vanilla and Musk.

Common Lackey

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndSky View Post
    Interlude (woman)
    Top notes are Marigold, Ginger, Grapefruit and Bergamot; middle notes are Incense, Walnut, .....
    Walnut? Interesting. Don't think I've seen that before.

I can't believe Khanada missed her entire dedicated sync day.

I’m not old, I’m vintage.

So what did you think?

I also love Réplique, especially the extrait. The note list seems a bit fanciful, as ever, but there is no denying that Réplique is a complex vintage blend, But I never get a “kitchen sink” vibe from it since all goes together so smoothly and harmoniously. I find it really showcases its oakmoss.

I need to wear again too (waves at Earlyn).
    I liked it quite a bit. I'm not sure it's "me," but it's still excellent. And I agree that it never smells of "kitchen sink," for the reasons you state.
    Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

Seems to be a trend.

I know that cross-posting is a No-No, but could some Moderator Magic be employed to list it in both the Female and the General forums?
    Not sure this is possible... They would have to interconnect and update each time someone posted on either forum.

I've been thinking that moving threads out of FFD wouldn't be good for this forum as it doesn't get a lot of new threads - it would be basically the SotD threads and not much else.
    No baiting/trolling. No insults. No politics. Read the Code of Conduct.
    Currently wearing: Patchouli by Fragonard

Basenotes Member

What're you guys thinking for this Friday? I was excited to see this house on the list, as I knew I could definitely participate.

I've got the women's versions of Gold, Lyric, Interlude, Epic, and a decant of Fate that I'm loving right at the moment.

Thinking I might either reprise Fate, or give Lyric a spin. I wore Lyric a ton in 2018 and for some reason, fell off. I'm trying to get a wear in on all of my perfumes this year, so I think I'm leaning towards Lyric. It has the unfortunate effect of me not really being able to smell it much, but other people can! I think it fills the room.

I have a sample set of the most popular women scents +my bf has the male set. Since I am at work on Friday I might wear Journey woman at work and either Lyric, Memoir or Fate as my sotE.

Basenotes Plus

I have a multitude of options for this week with Amouage being among my favourite houses. There is an attar on it's way to me so I may go with that if it arrives in time.

Otherwise ....

Blog Entries

l've tried only a small handful of Amouages, but l did buy a large decant each of Ubar & Journey a few years back. Unfortunately they're all used up, so l'll be sitting this one out.

But if l had to choose one, it'd be Journey.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Plus

Love Tuberose is currently the only Amouage I have on hand, so it'll be that one for me!
    Currently wearing: Aura by Thierry Mugler

I'll be sitting out this week, too. I think, I've only tried one or two Amouage fragrances and that was several years ago now.
    No baiting/trolling. No insults. No politics. Read the Code of Conduct.
    Currently wearing: Patchouli by Fragonard

I’m not old, I’m vintage.

It's a toss-up between Silver and Gold. I'll figure it out Friday morning.
    Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

I think I've got a decant of Epic Man somewhere, but it's probably still too warm for me to wear.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.
    Currently wearing: Black by Bulgari

Common Lackey

Quote Originally Posted by CuddleCat View Post
    Not sure this is possible... They would have to interconnect and update each time someone posted on either forum.

I've been thinking that moving threads out of FFD wouldn't be good for this forum as it doesn't get a lot of new threads - it would be basically the SotD threads and not much else.

Roger that.

I currently have no Amouge samples at hand so I'm out.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Will probably go with Journey Man.

Easy one for me as I only own one Amouage.

So Ubar original 90s version.
    DONNA

I will go with Lyric Woman - with huge thanks to saminlondon!

No Amouages in my collection so I'm out.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.
    Currently wearing: Bal d'Afrique by Byredo

Will be in Synch with a sample of Amouage Interlude Man (thanks to rum). I rather like this one, though would never have enough occasions to wear it to justify a FB. I could even start the day with the very last of a sample of Beach Hut Man, which should prompt me to finish writing a review of it.

Have recently sampled Gold Man (did not enjoy those particular florals at all) and Dia Man, which was OK but didn't do a lot for me. I conclude that the house style does not appeal to my tastes, nor does my mostly casual outdoor lifestyle provide suitable occasions for wearing.
    Spring is coming. Selecting from : Penhaligon's Elixir, Juniper Sling; Bottega Veneta Bottega Veneta pour Homme EdT, Bottega Veneta EdP; Etro Heliotrope, Gomma, Dianthus, Palais Jamais. Aramis Tuscany; Knize Knize Ten, Hermes Equipage (vtg), Bel Ami, Prada Infusion d'Iris. Decants/samples - various fougeres
    Currently wearing: Bel Ami by Hermès

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by kewart View Post
    Ditto - I don't even have any samples.

Common Lackey

Quote Originally Posted by kewart View Post
    Same here. The house is just not my preferred style, same as with Lutens.

I do have a big sample of Jubilation XXV, which smells quite nice, but I don't feel like wearing it for the 3 days it would stick around.

Just like I said - I am synching with Lyric Woman from a sample a super generous Basenoter provided

It's too bad that I'm still partially anosmic to Lyric Woman. I do feel it's a heady scent, but I don't smell much - it's an interesting sensation. When I put my nose to my wrist, I can tell it that it's very musky-dusty and a bit rosy and slightly spicy scent. It reminds me of Agent Provocateur somewhat, just much quieter - and I know other people describe it as a beast! I'll try sniffing it again after a few months, maybe it's just my nose acting up from all that sitting indoors.

There have been some other scents that I can barely smell at all or smell nothing one day and smell it clearly the other - JPG Classique, VC&Arpels Orchidee Vanille, Zadig & Voltaire's scents, I think even Dior's Addict and Pure Poison were among those, and there are days when I barely smell Lutens' Un bois vanille, too. Many of those are vanillic scents though. I remember I couldn't smell Alaia Nude too when I first tried it at the store, but retried it later and could always smell it well each time afterwards - I guess I just had sniffed too many things that day and my nose shut down.

Basenotes Plus

In synch with Tayyiba this morning.

Basenotes Plus

I’m out as well. I don’t own a thing from this house.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain
    Currently wearing: No. 5 by Chanel

Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast