Code of Conduct
Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Default Re: Synchronized Fridays 2021

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    So I have sampled Hiris, En Passant, and Passage de Enfer (but I don’t have them anymore). I liked them well enough, and I think there was a kind of crystal clarity to the floral notes in all three.

What would those of you who know Giacobetti’s work well say defines her style of perfumery?
    I think you said it: “crystal clarity”

They tend to smell purposeful and thoughtful to me. Her scents avoid showy complexity or abstraction, but still clearly required great attention to detail and commitment to an olfactory vision to create. Perhaps parallel to Ellen’s sheer style, but more driven by natural imagery/realism, while Ellena is more abstract.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: R by Révillon

Basenotes Junkie

^^^ this is a wonderful description!!!

Lol Mike, you have the scoop. I like her perfumes too-- I didn't realize that Olivia Giacobetti was the perfumer for a number of fragrances that are in my collection. Glad I'm in good company with Mike and IsoE! (Hiya, IsoE! So good to see you!!!) I also had no idea she cut her teeth at the tender age of sixteen with Annick Goutal and was there to see Eau de Camille created. I guess I really must enjoy Giacobetti's refreshing, interesting creations as I apparently own something like 17-19 of them! (Erm, can't remember if I have two and can't be bothered to check right now...) Most are L'AP, then Diptyque comes in second and then there are several that I just had no clue were by her. Both Costes 1 and 2? Tilleul? Petit Guerlain? Pen's Elixir? My beloved Indole???? Never would have guessed. She seems adept at both ethereal greens, woods and florals as well as delicious but not overly foody or cloying gourmandish fragrances and also denser (but not heavy) intricate spicy, resinous, incensey scents. I can't help but feel very impressed! I'll make this a sync weekend, (or maybe following week) as today I am under the weather and not up to wearing anything by her. I'm thinking Drole de Rose, Safran Troublant and Opone will be top picks. Happy the sync made me think!

Here are a few articles I found:

http://https://www.cafleurebon.com/o...-transparency/

http://https://nstperfume.com/perfum...ia-giacobetti/
    There are always flowers for those who want to see them.
    ~ Henri Matisse

I’m not old, I’m vintage.

I concur about LJ's description. FYI, Giacobetti scented a wonderful Malle Iris hand cream.

Great descriptions of Giacobetti's style and work.

Synching this evening in her Elixir for Penhaligon's - which broadened my olfactory horizons after years of wearing such classic/old-school scents as Armani Eau pH, Hechter Caractere, Floris Elite, Guerlain Vetiver and Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet. It's still one of my favourites : incense lightened by eucalyptus, with rose.
    Spring is coming. Selecting from : Penhaligon's Elixir, Juniper Sling; Bottega Veneta Bottega Veneta pour Homme EdT, Bottega Veneta EdP; Etro Heliotrope, Gomma, Dianthus, Palais Jamais. Aramis Tuscany; Knize Knize Ten, Hermes Equipage (vtg), Bel Ami, Prada Infusion d'Iris. Decants/samples - various fougeres
    Currently wearing: Suede by Rook Perfumes

Late sync here - Safran Troublant - one I came to late and absolutely love !
    Currently wearing: L'Or Bio by Melvita

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post
    Giacobetti gets much love from me too (in the first way you mentioned, not the second ). I wore L’Arbre from your decant the other day, really nice stuff.

I’ve got loads of her work between bottles and decants/samples. Maybe I’ll join Mike in wearing all or at least most of it...
    Wow you def own a lot of her - yes L'Arbre is awesome I wore it the other day when I was going to work on the apartment. It's one of my 'focus' fragrances. It's like a short little Headspace podcast in a bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraH View Post
    Can someone write a "based-on-a-true-story" novel about gossip/romance/intrigue in the fragrance industry? It's what the people need.
    YES! lol

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    I didn’t see that L’Arbre was by Olivia, no wonder I like it! Maybe I’ll shift gears and wear it this afternoon. Glad Mike shared this one, as it’s so hard to buy stateside.

Wearing En Passant this morning, the warmest of the year by far, though nothing is blooming yet. It really is like smelling lilac on a damp breeze. Uncanny.
    Yes Olivia owns IUNX so she is the perfumer for the entire line.

And strifeknot, here on BN, has L'Arbre for sale in decants I believe.
    "A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit. "

-- D. Elton Trueblood

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by cestrum nocturnum View Post

Lol Mike, you have the scoop. I like her perfumes too-- I didn't realize that Olivia Giacobetti was the perfumer for a number of fragrances that are in my collection. Glad I'm in good company with Mike and IsoE! (Hiya, IsoE! So good to see you!!!) I also had no idea she cut her teeth at the tender age of sixteen with Annick Goutal and was there to see Eau de Camille created. I guess I really must enjoy Giacobetti's refreshing, interesting creations as I apparently own something like 17-19 of them! (Erm, can't remember if I have two and can't be bothered to check right now...) Most are L'AP, then Diptyque comes in second and then there are several that I just had no clue were by her. Both Costes 1 and 2? Tilleul? Petit Guerlain? Pen's Elixir? My beloved Indole???? Never would have guessed. She seems adept at both ethereal greens, woods and florals as well as delicious but not overly foody or cloying gourmandish fragrances and also denser (but not heavy) intricate spicy, resinous, incensey scents. I can't help but feel very impressed! I'll make this a sync weekend, (or maybe following week) as today I am under the weather and not up to wearing anything by her. I'm thinking Drole de Rose, Safran Troublant and Opone will be top picks. Happy the sync made me think!

19 of them! Whoa. I need to go over and play at your house!!

I forgot about Petit Guerlain. I love that one.
    "A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit. "

-- D. Elton Trueblood

Common Lackey

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Yes Olivia owns IUNX so she is the perfumer for the entire line.
    How are we supposed to pronounce that?

They haven't produced anything since 2004. Do we know if it's still an active business?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    How are we supposed to pronounce that?

They haven't produced anything since 2004. Do we know if it's still an active business?
    Not sure. I know they sold the line from the Costes hotel.

Pronounced "E-yunks", with a soft 'e'.

-- D. Elton Trueblood

I've only got Hiris and Idole de Lubin from Giacobetti. Joining in with Hiris.
    Currently wearing: Freak by Illamasqua

Basenotes Plus

One Giacobetti I wished I'd bought before it was disco'd was Love Les Carottes by Honore des Pres.

https://www.basenotes.net/ID26134269.html

-- D. Elton Trueblood

Went with a sample of Philosykos EDT
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Verveine Narcisse by Creed

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

If you did, someone should submit you for a Ripley's award.
    I didn't make it. No Ripley's for me. I did wear some of Hotel Costes from the sample (which I only got a month or two ago). It's okay, didn't do much for me.

I didn’t see that L’Arbre was by Olivia, no wonder I like it! Maybe I’ll shift gears and wear it this afternoon. Glad Mike shared this one, as it’s so hard to buy stateside.
    Ah if I knew you were a fan I'd have pointed you to strifeknot's split sooner. I think he might be out. But yes, unfortunately hard to sample stateside. I'd love to try some more from the house.

And Mike P, thanks for the pronunciation tip. I guess I was close, I had been calling it "YOO-nicks". I'm happy to switch to something that isn't a homonym for the plural of a castrated male human.

Quote Originally Posted by cestrum nocturnum View Post

Nice to see you too, as always! I'm on board with yours and LiveJazz's description of her perfuming style. Clarity, transparency, and the ability to really add spice and substance while maintaining the former two.

BTW tried to PM you a few months back but your inbox was full. Apparently the more active members of the cestrum fanclub got in before I could

For Friday's synch "Spring meadows" I must admit my mind is blank.... I seem to know nothing about this place. Anyone care to fill me in please?

Quote Originally Posted by ineespenes View Post
    For Friday's synch "Spring meadows" I must admit my mind is blank.... I seem to know nothing about this place. Anyone care to fill me in please?
    Grasses, wild flowers, honey and various green, dewy or sunny scents!
    Meadow is basically a grass field, potentially with flowers. Could be used for hay, so not only fresh grass or fresh cut grass but also hay is also a potential note - although that's probably more a summer scent. But you can always choose your spring to be the last weeks of May
    ...Or, if you choose early spring in your area, then yeah, you can probably also go with snow and damp earth instead of all the greenery!
    Basically - imagine a place where you'd like to have a picnic. It could also have a stream, a river, a lake or a forest nearby - or, of course, a village or be in a city park if you choose so

I think green, grassy, even herbal scents fit here, and also spring florals, especially wildflowers (but not necessarily so), bright florals, dewy florals, honey scents and also aquatic florals for meadow-by-the-lake or chypres for meadow-by-the-forest should work very well

I had just a perfect scent for that, a sample of - L'Occitane Herbae - but I think I gifted it away to someone. Also Terre de Lumiere by L'Occitane was a perfect honeyed sunlit field scent, but I finished it a while ago. In my current collection of bottles and samples, I think You Or Someone Like You by ELdO, Assenzio / Artemisia by L'Erbolario, California Reverie by Van Cleef & Arpels, Today by Avon, maybe even Mon Guerlain (I have an EDT which is heavy on lavender and light on vanilla) or Limon Verde by Guerlain (imagine drinking a lime cocktail on the grass) would be great choices.
    Currently wearing: Orchid Soleil by Tom Ford

Quote Originally Posted by ClockworkAlice View Post
    Grasses, wild flowers, honey and various green, dewy or sunny scents!
    Meadow is basically a grass field, potentially with flowers. Could be used for hay, so not only fresh grass or fresh cut grass but also hay is also a potential note - although that's probably more a summer scent. But you can always choose your spring to be the last weeks of May
    ...Or, if you choose early spring in your area, then yeah, you can probably also go with snow and damp earth instead of all the greenery!
    Basically - imagine a place where you'd like to have a picnic. It could also have a stream, a river, a lake or a forest nearby - or, of course, a village or be in a city park if you choose so

I think green, grassy, even herbal scents fit here, and also spring florals, especially wildflowers (but not necessarily so), bright florals, dewy florals, honey scents and also aquatic florals for meadow-by-the-lake or chypres for meadow-by-the-forest should work very well

I had just a perfect scent for that, a sample of - L'Occitane Herbae - but I think I gifted it away to someone. Also Terre de Lumiere by L'Occitane was a perfect honeyed sunlit field scent, but I finished it a while ago. In my current collection of bottles and samples, I think You Or Someone Like You by ELdO, Assenzio / Artemisia by L'Erbolario, California Reverie by Van Cleef & Arpels, Today by Avon, maybe even Mon Guerlain (I have an EDT which is heavy on lavender and light on vanilla) or Limon Verde by Guerlain (imagine drinking a lime cocktail on the grass) would be great choices.
    Thanks That makes it a lot easier. I thought the synch was referring to this : https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_Meadows
    Last edited by ineespenes; 7th April 2021 at 09:13 PM.

Sillage Monster

I might have to go with Chanel Jersey. Its topnotes are wildflowers and grass.
    Avatar: the late, great Janis Joplin. Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself.

I'd already pencilled in Anatole Lebreton's L'Eau de Merzhin, seeing as I didn't wear it for Spring Equinox

A vegetal poem on a dry hay bed.
    The perfume of a childhood spent running around in meadows, venturing through the deep mossy woods and the mysterious moors of the Breton countryside. A nostalgic stroll on the other side of the mirror, in an enchanting landscape, with hawthorn groves blossoming in the very first days of spring, when earth is damp and the grass is lush, when the flowing water sings and the first flowers bloom, gently spreading their scent all around the prairies.
    But damn, it's still cold here, and I am in no mood for meadows. Might have to wear Bottega Veneta pH EdT or Caron Yatagan instead.
    Spring is coming. Selecting from : Penhaligon's Elixir, Juniper Sling; Bottega Veneta Bottega Veneta pour Homme EdT, Bottega Veneta EdP; Etro Heliotrope, Gomma, Dianthus, Palais Jamais. Aramis Tuscany; Knize Knize Ten, Hermes Equipage (vtg), Bel Ami, Prada Infusion d'Iris. Decants/samples - various fougeres
    Currently wearing: Suede by Rook Perfumes

I'm sampling vintage Balmain Vent Vert for the first time today, and I think this is going to have be my sync scent tomorrow as well. This might just be the Springiest thing that's ever crossed by nose.

This is intensely green, verdant, and bright...one of those "chopped up grass and flowers and earth" scents. Just a little bit of unripe fruit giving a tart sweetness. Perfectly represents a meadow in Spring, to my mind.

It reminds me a little of Sisley's Eau de Campagne (the other Springiest thing I've smelled), but less tomato leafy and more grassy-floral.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

After some thought I've narrowed my options down to Diorissimo, No 19, Cristalle, Miss Dior, Bois d'iris (TDC) and ô de Lancôme. I haven't decided on what to wear yet.

Boy oh boy, every sync week I end up with another list of fragrances you all mention that I need to sample!

I think something bright and with a fresh, squeaky or crunchy green would do for a spring meadow.
    I have No. 19, Private Collection, O de Lancôme, Safari. I also think Casaque which is a super green floral to me.
    It is going to be rainy and cold here on Friday though so might need to consider something more earthy.

I googled “what does a spring meadow smell like?” and the major hits were for Tide Pods Spring Meadow Scent, and also someone asking for a perfume that smelled like Spring Meadow Tide Pods. The answer —> Warm Cotton by Clean.
    No thanks! I seem to be getting increasingly impatient and crabby when I smell laundry musk in my perfume.
    My meadow does not include hanging sheets.
    ”I want all the perfumes”

I was thinking something along the lines of Guerlain Sous Le Vent, Chanel No 19, Diorella, or Creed Aubepine Acacia.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Verveine Narcisse by Creed

Strangely I was thinking of De Profundis it has violets and bluebells. I remember reading a review of it saying it was a meadow of flowers with incense.

Or Bonté's Bloom by Honoré de Prés
    DONNA

I have a miniature of L'Occitane's Herbae so will wear that for the synch tomorrow.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.
    Currently wearing: Omnia by Bulgari

I ended up going to Mario Valentino Ocean Rain, Roudnitska's final creation.

It smells somewhat like Diorella, but more watery and less chyprey. It really does evoke the feeling to rain/dampness on flowers and greenery, in that polished, abstract Roudnitska way.

Basenotes Plus

I'm leaning towards You Or Someone Like You by ELdO, inspired by Clockwork Alice's review, and as a big THANK YOU to the gracious and generous BNer who just yesterday gifted me the ELdO 20-sample library.

Common Lackey

I ended up going to Mario Valentino Ocean Rain, Roudnitska's final creation.

It smells somewhat like Diorella, but more watery and less chyprey. It really does evoke the feeling to rain/dampness on flowers and greenery, in that polished, abstract Roudnitska way.
    LiveJazz, are you under the impression that today is Friday? If so, you could be forgiven... I've been confusing my weekdays almost ever since the Covid Year started.

LiveJazz, are you under the impression that today is Friday? If so, you could be forgiven... I've been confusing my weekdays almost ever since the Covid Year started.
    Yeah, when I saw LiveJazz was going for it I thought confusion might be the case as well, but I figured I’d just start syncing now as well. Why not? Turns out it is sunny today so Diorella it is. More sync, less Covid fog.
    ”I want all the perfumes”

Quote Originally Posted by Earlyn View Post
    Yeah, when I saw LiveJazz was going for it I thought confusion might be the case as well, but I figured I’d just start syncing now as well. Why not? Turns out it is sunny today so Diorella it is. More sync, less Covid fog.
    What are you two talking about? It’s Friday over here in my awesome private parallel universe.

Yeah, caught me. My work brain was on point, but my Basenotes brain woke up on a Friday!

I'm starting the Friday Synch of Spring Meadow by finishing the last drops from my travel spray of Today by Avon. This was a lovely perfume, a pretty and elegant springlike floral. Lots of orange blossom and freesia, so my meadow is in South and near orange trees.
    Currently wearing: Orchid Soleil by Tom Ford

Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast