Code of Conduct
Page 25 of 32 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast
    I’m not old, I’m vintage.

Default Re: Synchronized Fridays 2021

4E764445-3635-4F42-910D-49AA7253FA48.jpg

I hate that the label on this Lucien Lelong bottle is so worn, it’s virtually impossible to read the name of the fragrance.

I hate even more that, after I took the photo for the sync, I figured out it was Tailspin.

And the rhinestone cap is tacky. So there.

In the end went with Derrick by Orlane, one of the few bottles owned do consider dated as design but still enjoying its content

Had the perfect candidate for today's sync - this is the most bonkers packaging I have (actually maybe not... but I can't say I like it so it's best qualified for sync). Roberto Cavalli - from the pink snakeskin on box and bottle to the Da Vinci Code levels of symbolism.. Sorry for the huge photo - unsure how to resize but maybe it'll help you appreciate this monstrosity.. although Grayspoole is dead on with Paloma Picasso, which I like as a perfume more than this one...

The spiral plastic snake is a kind of lid in that it covers the pink ball sprayer (took me a couple of years to realize that was probably an apple..), but it can also be pressed down like a spring to spray... a whole new level of finger fumbling to get a spritz out of it. I have to admit I have a sneaking appreciation for the sheer crazy that went into its design...

71jHk3alSwL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Sadly, when I went to it, I found that I can't really smell it, so I've gone back to my plan for this week - Bruno Acampora oils, and am wearing Sballo from their gift set of 2.5 ml minis in corked metal phials.. which is also fiddly but somehow much more acceptable than the Cavalli....

brunoA.jpg

Common Lackey

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    WHY DO YOU TOY WITH ME, HERMES?
    I must say, LJ, I own one of those Voyage bottles and have never given a moment's thought to its difficulty. It seems obvious to me that it was intended for the sprayer end to point upwards, cap or no cap, and for the flat edge of its jacket to rest on the table surface. In fact, I rather admire that design... I think of it as the "astrolabe" bottle.

But I really, really sympathize with Earlyn's frustrations regarding mini bottles. I have so many that require calisthenics to get them open without spillage. I can only conclude that it must be very expensive to have their necks threaded for screw-tops, or else perfume companies would take that very logical step.

I thought for sure we'd see someone listing Moschino Fresh Couture, though I must admit to a certain amount of snarky admiration for them just for doing something this wacky.

Common Lackey

Quote Originally Posted by ClockworkAlice View Post
    I have a confession to make. I have said earlier that my phone loves to change Cook.bot into Cool.bot (which is pretty cool I guess), but my second-most-frequent nick mistype is CuddleCar. Which is also cool, I guess. There, I said it.
    And I've said earlier than I wouldn't mind one bit if you thought of me as Cool.bot.

But I do think I'd rather cuddle a cat than a car.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by LauraH View Post
    Fascinating about the Lolita Lempicka bottles, I had no idea the stem was a sprayer (I thought it was a cap) so I'm glad my bottle of LL just has a regular sprayer. Were the stems a special edition or an older version?
    The skinny stem bottles are the older, original formulation bottles. They actually don't have a cap. When LL was reformulated the packaging changed to the more blocky apple bottle design it has now.

Really enjoying this sync - any excuse to give out...

I have an irrational hatred for a lot of 'novelty' bottles - major offenders are the Carolina Herrera shoe and Marc Jacobs bag - although I don't know what the perfumes themselves are like..

deca.jpeggood.jpeg

and this is not some sort of anti designer snootiness - I also have a major set on the MDCI premium bottles...

mdci.jpeg

I could go on...
    Last edited by Ebenas; 16th April 2021 at 08:35 PM. Reason: inability to write simple grammatical English

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Ebenas View Post
    I also have a major set on the MDCI premium bottles...

mdci.jpeg

I could go on...
    I feel the same way about the Agonist premium bottles:

Agonist.jpg

Super ugly, and I think these bottles were several hundred dollars.

Basenotes Plus

I have an irrational hatred for a lot of 'novelty' bottles - major offenders are the Carolina Herrera shoe and Marc Jacobs bag - although I don't know what the perfumes themselves are like..

deca.jpeggood.jpeg

With you all the way

This abomination also springs to mind

Syncing in Nikos Sculpture EDP. It has a ridiculously unstable stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    I must say, LJ, I own one of those Voyage bottles and have never given a moment's thought to its difficulty. It seems obvious to me that it was intended for the sprayer end to point upwards, cap or no cap, and for the flat edge of its jacket to rest on the table surface. In fact, I rather admire that design... I think of it as the "astrolabe" bottle.
    Ha!

Me: Look at this ridiculous logical pretzel!!

You: Umm your bottle’s upside down there, buddy.

Guess I just like my sprayers concealed!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by Wingie View Post
    I feel the same way about the Agonist premium bottles:

Agonist.jpg

Super ugly, and I think these bottles were several hundred dollars.

Am I hallucinating or is that a glass bottle nestled in a kind of glass stand - do they clank?

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    With you all the way

This abomination also springs to mind

Damn! Now I want to know what happens each way the sequins go - is there picture? A blinking eye?

Common Lackey

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Ha!

Me: Look at this ridiculous logical pretzel!!

You: Umm your bottle’s upside down there, buddy.

Guess I just like my sprayers concealed!

Common Lackey

Damn! Now I want to know what happens each way the sequins go - is there picture? A blinking eye?
    Don't overthink it, Ebenas. The designer certainly didn't.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    4E764445-3635-4F42-910D-49AA7253FA48.jpg

I hate that the label on this Lucien Lelong bottle is so worn, it’s virtually impossible to read the name of the fragrance.

I hate even more that, after I took the photo for the sync, I figured out it was Tailspin.

And the rhinestone cap is tacky. So there.
    That dos look pretty awful.
    Modern, Nice & Vintage for sale here!

Basenotes Member

Regarding that Agonist bottle:
    Looks like a weird, messed up penis.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by ClockworkAlice View Post
    This is so funny! And frustrating at the same time.
    You could carry this as a weapon with you, and when encountering someone you don't like pretend to spray your neck, but in reality SPRAY THEIR EYES. They would be both hurting and smell good to you at once, win win.
    Lol. Thanks for the chuckle.

Basenotes Member

Well, fellow friendly Basenoters, I don't have a clue what to wear for today's sync. The worst thing I don't like about some bottles I have are the caps. I actually bought Paco Rabanne Pure XS for the amazing snake on the bottle. It's so beautiful. But the cap is horrid. Cheap, plastic, probably will break like someone else said about something else above me.

Don't particularly like the caps on Amarige, and since I missed wearing it on Panned By The Guide day, that's a possibility.

I'm used to them now, but the caps on the Hermes bottles made me snicker for a long time. Very phallic, IMO. Not very attractive. Another cap gripe is the sprayer on the larger sizes of Asja by Fendi. They really suck and are prone to not working correctly.

I have the large size of Ananda Tchai by M. MIcallef, and that one is difficult to hold and spray. Bottle is way too big for my hands to hold easily and spray, and the cap is also difficult to remove.

I had the large size of Jour d'Hermes, but it was so ridiculous I sent it back. It was like, pounds of glass for a couple ounces of liquid. I couldn't deal with it.

Thanks for the laughs everyone! Always a fun read, even when I can't or don't join in.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndSky View Post
    That does look pretty awful.
    Indeed. Fortunately, it smells good!

Basenotes Junkie

Although I enjoy all kinds of bottles from classic shapes to modern ones and even kitschy whimsical ones, like many others here, I dislike anything that I find harder to use. So the clunky rectangular Rush is not a favorite design based on functionality… the skinny skinny, too tall, ready-to-tip-over Roberto Cavalli Oro bottle-- ugh. (Ebenas provided a great description and pic of the other glorious attributes, which are many.) Omnia and flankers are just a weird shape. The DKNY Delicious series apple shaped bottles are awkward. I have a magical way of removing the pin on my Montales and sending the sprayer flying in the process. For the sync, I'm wearing Sweet Delicious Pink Macaron, which I have managed to spray in my face a few times by cleverly missing my neck with that (apparently) confounding little ball. I sprayed the nape of my neck today, so all is good...and sweet.
    There are always flowers for those who want to see them.
    ~ Henri Matisse

Went with Thierry Mugler Pure Malt for this week's sync. I think the rubber casing around the bottle looks tacky and is a nuisance when spraying.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Basenotes Plus

I missed the sync (drowning in work lately) but enjoying reading it.

+ 1 for Moschino Fresh Couture. Every time I see that bottle I think of Michael Constantine’s character in My Big Fat Greek Wedding, spraying Windex on everybody’s scrapes, cuts, and bug bites.
    Currently wearing: Intoxicated by By Kilian

Common Lackey

Oooo, now I'm kicking myself for not remembering Calvin Klein cK One Shock yesterday. A perfectly lovely men's tobacco scent, in a perfectly hideous box and bottle. All editions were ugly, but Street Edition was particularly egregious.

I gave my bottle to the kid who mows my lawn, but kept a decant because it does smell good.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Oooo, now I'm kicking myself for not remembering Calvin Klein cK One Shock yesterday. A perfectly lovely men's tobacco scent, in a perfectly hideous box and bottle. All editions were ugly, but Street Edition was particularly egregious.

I gave my bottle to the kid who mows my lawn, but kept a decant because it does smell good.

LOLOLOL that bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    LOLOLOL that bottle.
    That’s some Vanilla Ice-level graffiti right there.

I like it. But I always liked graffiti.

Am I hallucinating or is that a glass bottle nestled in a kind of glass stand - do they clank?
    This looks pretty cool to me actually!
    I don't know how does it look in person though.

Basenotes Member

Wow. That is truly ugly. I would have worn that if I had it. Bravo!

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    I have to go with the bottle that I call the “Eye of Sauron” — Paloma Picasso’s black plastic sheathed EDP spray bottle. Ungainly, tippy, and unpleasant to hold. (The gold EDT is even worse, I think..)

Attachment 151370
    But I really like PP, in its vintage version, so I put up with the bottle. Meanwhile, the parfum flacon, a white frosted orb, is rather beautiful.
    YES, grayspoole!! I'd forgotten about the truly terrible PP bottle. Now I'll have to wear that one later this week.

I went with Nina Ricci Farouche, because of what I describe as the 'screechy' red and super cheap-looking 'gold' on both the packaging and the bottle that I own. The whole thing reminds me of flocked felt wallpaper in a bordello that's going for 'classy' and misses by a mile. I also am not a fan of the Lalique bottle for this one - I get what Marc Lalique was going for, and it's well executed, but just not my style.

(This is not my bottle but looks just like the one I own)

It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

Page 25 of 32 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast