Code of Conduct

Default Natural Scents That Won't Give Me A Headache? DIY COLOGNE?

Hello everyone! I am looking to either buy or make a natural cologne to drive my girl crazy that wont give me an absolute headache when I wear it and go along with more more natural chemical free lifestyle. I have tried a few types of cologne most recently (Sauvage Cologne by Christian Dior) I have been making my own beard oil but usually struggle getting the scent right. Does anyone know of any colognes you can buy that are made from essential oils rather than synthetics? Or does anyone know of any really solid resources with recipes? I am getting conflicting info on if I should use GIN (which I have laying around) or use isopropyl 98% and glycerin (Which I need to find one not derived form coconut due to allergy) I already have a large collection of edens garden essential oils and even some genuine sandalwood from etsy.

Really looking for some help here as I would love to start wearing cologne again for the girl as a Christmas gift!

Another question is can you use ylang ylang in a cologne for men or is it too feminen?

Basenotes Plus

Default Natural Scents That Won't Give Me A Headache? DIY COLOGNE?

Hello Droid. I sympathize with your goal regarding fragrances using all natural ingredients. I was on a similar mission years ago and even made some of my own blends. Ultimately, Iíve drifted away from it for the most part. But I donít have any allergy issues either. It may be worth searching for simple recipes in the DIY section, and, for that matter, reaching out to one of the perfumers that frequently post for some direction or even to see if they could make something bespoke for you. Perhaps I missed it, but what type/style of fragrance drives your girl crazy? That will help with recommendations.

As a side note, I have a friend with severe fragrance allergies and he has had no issues with the fragrance oils blended by Black Phoenix Alchemy Labs. Their themes are dark and gothic, which may not be your style (as itís not mine), but they have some really good stuff from what Iíve tried. One of my personal favorites (which unfortunately theyíre out of stock at the moment) is called Dorian. Iíve received compliments from numerous ladies on that one.

At this point, Iíll leave it to people better informed, and up to date with this genre, than me to post suggestions. I eagerly await their responses. Best wishes.

PS, I do not find Ylang Ylang to be too feminine. It can be certainly when mixed with certain florals etc. But I wear stuff with it and feel itís fine.
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

Default Re: Natural Scents That Won't Give Me A Headache? DIY COLOGNE?

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    Perhaps I missed it, but what type/style of fragrance drives your girl crazy? That will help with recommendations.
    Really any manly scent from what I understand. So your typical very clean modern guy scent Abercrombie/Aeropostale, the Sauvage BY CD I had. Probably something that boosts my confidence with woodsy aroma but is also calming and anxiety reducing notes.

I am considering perhaps the sauvage was just too strong and thats why it gave me a headacahe and I should try some others ones?

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bķzios Brasil

Check out Aemium Fragrances
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Check out Aenium Fragrances
    Sorry a google on this came up with nothing. I would defiantly take some natural recommendations as learning to mix myself unless I could purchase some good recopies from someone might prove difficult.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bķzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Droid View Post
    Sorry a google on this came up with nothing. I would defiantly take some natural recommendations as learning to mix myself unless I could purchase some good recopies from someone might prove difficult.
    Sorry I misspelled it, It's Aemium.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Droid View Post
    Really any manly scent from what I understand. So your typical very clean modern guy scent Abercrombie/Aeropostale, the Sauvage BY CD I had. Probably something that boosts my confidence with woodsy aroma but is also calming and anxiety reducing notes.

I am considering perhaps the sauvage was just too strong and thats why it gave me a headacahe and I should try some others ones?
    Thank you for your reply. For what itís worth, Sauvage has certainly been noted as giving people headaches. It can be pretty polarizing, until it settles down. For some, itís simply impossible to wear. While I think you should periodically try fragrances to see how you respond, it may be something you really struggle with. If so, Iím sorry. But not all is lost.

As I was typing this, I was thinking how you may enjoy simply adding some cedarwood or sandalwood oil too a beard oil. But you are likely already doing that. A less glamorous (at least for Basenotes) suggestion could be trying companies like Duke Canon. They have a scent my wife and I really enjoy called Old Glory. I mentioned them because their scents are mild but persistent, and Iíve heard good feedback regarding allergies.

Iíll hush at this point and allow folks like Hednic to continue more specific suggestions towards fragrance houses. Thanks again and best wishes.
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Sorry I misspelled it, It's Aemium.

That looks great however $187 for a bottle is a bit out of my budget! I do not need it to be vegan. If anyone has any recommendations for a smaller setup like etsy shop or similar I could try that is cheaper with smaller bottles and has this type of organic/natural going on that would be great!

I think your first stop should be in L'occitane and then floris.
    Both have offerings that should fit your bill, you can try them in the store and pick up a bottle at discounters.

Basenotes Plus

100% natural products can be found here -

https://juniperridge.com/product-cat...ble-fragrance/
    ​"Top 9" handsome autumn November contenders to remember -

9) Polo Modern Reserve
    8) Herrera for Men (Vintage)
    7) Aramis Tuscany per uomo
    6) One Man Show (Vintage)
    5) Esencia Loewe pour homme
    4) Polo Green (Cosmair)
    3) Aramis Havana
    2) Michael Kors for Men
    1) Azzaro Pour Homme (Vintage)

ďAlways do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.Ē
    ― Mark Twain