Code of Conduct

Default my sig scent from the 90's was D&G Pour Homme and I still love it today

What can I say about this fragrance other than every sniff brings me back to the mid 90s when i was in my early 20's. I literally transport in time for a nanosecond every time i take that initial sniff. All these years, and a good amount of bottle and sample collecting later, I still have not smelled anything quite like this.

I currently have a Made In Germany bottle which isnt "vintage", but I honestly dont remember being any different back then because I didn't know anything about fragrance as a youth. I only had the natural early 20's male instinct to bathe myself in it before I went out of the house.

Just wondering if anyone else who is old enough to have been around in the mid 90s wore this and if they still love it today.
    my top 10:
    Creed Royal Oud
    Ck One Shock
    D&C Pour Homme
    Creed Bois du Portugal
    M. Micallef Emir
    Serge Lutens Chergui
    Guerlain Lhomme Ideal Intense
    Slumberhouse Ore
    Maison Margiela By The Fireplace
    Tom Ford Oud Wood
    Annick goutal Ninfeo Mio
    Currently wearing: Oud Wood by Tom Ford

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: my sig scent from the 90's was D&G Pour Homme and I still love it today

Quote Originally Posted by gucciguccigoo View Post
    What can I say about this fragrance other than every sniff brings me back to the mid 90s when i was in my early 20's. I literally transport in time for a nanosecond every time i take that initial sniff. All these years, and a good amount of bottle and sample collecting later, I still have not smelled anything quite like this.

I currently have a Made In Germany bottle which isnt "vintage", but I honestly dont remember being any different back then because I didn't know anything about fragrance as a youth. I only had the natural early 20's male instinct to bathe myself in it before I went out of the house.

Just wondering if anyone else who is old enough to have been around in the mid 90s wore this and if they still love it today.
    Wore it then. Wear it now. It’s in my Top 10 overall fragrances of all time. I had the made in the UK and tossed it in the bin. It smelled like lemon baby powder to me, which isn’t necessarily bad but certainly is not the same as the original. I only own ‘Made in Italy’ bottles now and they’re the ones I like the most. Prices for those are too much but that’s how it seems to go with these things. There are a lot of threads covering this fragrance, but yea it’s great!
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

Default Re: my sig scent from the 90's was D&G Pour Homme and I still love it today

Some of the fragrances did wear during the mid to late 90s and still enjoy today include without being limited to- Salvador Dali PH and Chevignon Brand
    Currently wearing: White Tag by Zara

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

I didn't wear it back then but it's one of my favorites now!
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by gucciguccigoo View Post

I remember trying this back then but can't say I ever felt the way you felt and feel about it.
    Last edited by hednic; 23rd November 2020 at 01:41 AM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Institution

Owned it years ago. Great fragrance indeed.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

In my neck of the woods, the big go-getters were Tommy, Versace Blue Jeans, Curve, Nautica, Polo Sport, stuff like that. Dolce & Gabbana was known, but not yet for their perfumes, at least not in Baltimore. Light Blue in the 2000's was the first D&G that really blew up there.

I love D&G pH, but didn't discover it until going full hobby-mode on fragrances.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil
    Currently wearing: Avon for Men by Avon

It's a decent scent although it's not as high on my list.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

Basenotes Plus

Quite a distinctive fragrance as far as the original version goes. I remember it well from the turn of the century. Felt it was an urbane yet rakish take on the masculine fragrance with its subtle ashtray vibe, something I couldn’t get used to back then. I have acquired a decent vintage (Made in Italy, silver sticker) some years ago but it could not live up to my somewhat rose-tinted recollection of it.

I received my most enthusiastic fragrance compliment while wearing D&G Pour Homme back in the early 2000's! I don't wear it often currently, but will never get rid of my bottle (1999 batch). It still smells perfect and I may give it wearing after reading this thread!

Did not wear it in the 90's to be honest but it is already for over 10 years in my Top 3 if not my all time fav scent!
    Own enough made in Italy versions for life fortunately
    My Top '11':

- Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Antaeus (vtg)
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Armani: AdG Profumo
    - Mancera: Red Tobacco
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Thierry Mugler: A*men
    - SA: Al Basel
    - D&G: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - YSL: Kouros (vtg)
    - PdM: Layton

A bit like the couple themselves - Eurotrash. Smells like a cleaning product to me.

By Man was gorgeous though

Wore it in the 90s and loved it. Wear it today and love it. The 'Made in Italy' bottles are the best for sure. However, I've heard that the latest 'Made in France' version is back to being very good again. Thinking of getting a bottle actually.
    Last edited by morrison74; 27th November 2020 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    A bit like the couple themselves - Eurotrash. Smells like a cleaning product to me.

By Man was gorgeous though
    Sure you are not confused with D&G Masculine?
    My Top '11':

- Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Antaeus (vtg)
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Armani: AdG Profumo
    - Mancera: Red Tobacco
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Thierry Mugler: A*men
    - SA: Al Basel
    - D&G: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - YSL: Kouros (vtg)
    - PdM: Layton

Quote Originally Posted by Slayerized View Post
    Sure you are not confused with D&G Masculine?
    yes thanks

Indeed an enjoyable scent. Still wearing this one.

Dependent

I picked up a couple of vintage bottles a few years ago. I thought the scent was pretty nice, but on my skin after a couple of hours it wasn't even a skin scent. Sold them and moved on.

this was super talked about when I first joined basenotes, i guess it's been largely forgotten since then
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaFrank75 View Post
    I picked up a couple of vintage bottles a few years ago. I thought the scent was pretty nice, but on my skin after a couple of hours it wasn't even a skin scent. Sold them and moved on.
    Really. My bottles are pretty powerful and last me all day.

It was one of my signatures back then in 1994 along with Paloma Picasso Minotaure... DG Pour Homme was a big, big love then (1994) and remains a sentimental fave (2012) despite the tweaking. Scent memories indeed! Projection was lovely and smooth like butter... Time does fly! Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Same here.

Does your cap or caps fit super snug on the sprayer? My new bottle was like this and after three wears the silver base below the sprayer pulled up on one side. I wasn’t able to push it back down, annoyed me I swapped the bottle out, the new bottle the cap was snug too I just leave the cap off haha design flaw I guess.
    Currently wearing: Hawas for Men by Rasasi

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by morrison74 View Post
    Same here.
    I have the same problem with a lot of these type of fragrances. Vintage Dunhill Edition, Homme de Grès, Eau Sauvage and anything else along this line just disappear in short order. Makes me kind of sad that I can't enjoy these as much as most people.

Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    Does your cap or caps fit super snug on the sprayer? My new bottle was like this and after three wears the silver base below the sprayer pulled up on one side. I wasn’t able to push it back down, annoyed me I swapped the bottle out, the new bottle the cap was snug too I just leave the cap off haha design flaw I guess.
    I guess it's snug but I wouldn't say they are overly snug. I don't have any problems with them.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaFrank75 View Post
    I have the same problem with a lot of these type of fragrances. Vintage Dunhill Edition, Homme de Grès, Eau Sauvage and anything else along this line just disappear in short order. Makes me kind of sad that I can't enjoy these as much as most people.
    Maybe if you give your nose time to adjust to them? I don't know. I often am disappointed with new bottles, vintage or new, and their performance....only to find them improve over the new few months.