Code of Conduct

Default Giorgio Beverly Hills Vintage and current : A quick observation

Yesterday I did a side by side wearing of GBH from about 2014 and a recently purchased vintage bottle that has been identified, by qualified people here, to be from around 1990-1994. ( Thank you Zealot and drseid )

Keep in mind my sense of smell still isn't up to snuff after becoming ill a few months back. Aromas are perceived as "less strong", but I can still differentiate nuances.

I wore these as objectively as possible and I admit to secretly rooting for the reformulation to be just as good. Searching for vintages can be exhausting and sometimes disappointing.

On me, the vintage was overall a better wear. The newer was good and definitely bottle worthy. Side by side, the newer was tuned brighter throughout and had a very vague "sawdust" element in it that I noticed in the heart and base. I never noticed it before but did notice in comparison as I went back and forth between the two.

It wasn't off putting and it didn't "overtake" the aroma. I get that same sawdust vibe when I wear the original Tommy Bahama, but it was much more subtle in GBH.

The vintage, as you may expect, transitioned quickly to the heart accord. It was smoother and a bit more full bodied than the newer. It smelled that way to me throughout the wear. It also lasted a bit longer, in the extended dry down, as a more noticeable and superior smelling skin scent.

Am I glad to have scored a bottle of vintage? Sure. It smells very good and the price was right.

Would I have qualms about picking up a new bottle of the current juice? Nope. I'd wear it regularly, during the cooler months, with no problem whatsoever.

Note : I've always liked GBH and have worn it periodically over the years. I never had a vintage bottle of it until recently and to be honest, I always favored the VIP version. It was darker and definitely more brooding.

My takeaway from this is if you have a chance to snag a legitimate, vintage bottle for a decent price.......Go for it. You'll enjoy it a lot. If you don't feel like researching and hunting down a vintage, then I wouldn't be worried. GBH still remains a great classic.
    Currently wearing: Pancaldi by Hanorah

Default Re: Giorgio Beverly Hills Vintage and current : A quick observation

I'm assuming you're talking about Giorgio for Men--is that correct? If so, this is good to know. It's what my dad wore, and I've been considering picking up a bottle just for nostalgia's sake.

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    I'm assuming you're talking about Giorgio for Men--is that correct? If so, this is good to know. It's what my dad wore, and I've been considering picking up a bottle just for nostalgia's sake.
    Correct.

Ive never smelled the vintage but the current stuff is excellent.
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Think he'll have to come of the bench soon

Was still pleased with purchasing, owning and using a fairly current (mid 2010s) bottle/formulation of this, although would not mind getting any vintage either
    Currently wearing: Baobab by Tesori d'Oriente

Wearing Perfume Right Now

I have a bottle. It is something. Huge personality. I always thought it was way better than the VIP flanker.

If people want a dash of vanilla in their patchouli, I think Giorgio for Men is the perfect fragrance. Or maybe Versace L'Homme.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    I have a bottle. It is something. Huge personality. I always thought it was way better than the VIP flanker.

If people want a dash of vanilla in their patchouli, I think Giorgio for Men is the perfect fragrance. Or maybe Versace L'Homme.

Yea, the VIP version isn't for everyone. It's truly different than Giorgio for Men. I have a soft spot for those strong, dark powerhouses.

I still consider Versace L'Homme ( vintage version ) a terrific citric woody. I probably like each one equally.

I have a big bottle of the vintage, where the juice has turned dark brown. It's definitely of another era. Very rich. I love it.