Code of Conduct

Default Gillette Cool Wave deodorant

Currently enjoying this deodorant scent. The best I can describe it is a generic aquatic, plus a bit of fresh blue urinal block and a hint of tabac. Very very fresh and clean. Recommend some frags I might like? Not Cool Water or anything too obvious like that.

280934011_0_640x640.jpg

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Gillette Cool Wave deodorant

Embruns d'Essaouira by Montale perhaps
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Closest one is Lacoste Original. The opening is different. It doesn't have that cool metal scent of Cool Wave, but the dry down is nearly the same: mossy and slightly dry.

For me though, Lacoste Original has very poor longevity. It becomes a skin scent after an hour or two and I can't really smell it after 3 hours. Instead I just got the aftershave splash of Cool Wave and for me, if I'm liberal with the application, it lasts like an EDC.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Gillette Cool Wave also exists as an aftershave splash that has the staying power of a cologne. $8 at Walmart.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil
    Currently wearing: Avon for Men by Avon

Blog Entries

Horizon by Guy Laroche is the most similar thing I've smelled to it. I think Horizon is also still very cheap online, like $10 a bottle last I checked.
    Currently wearing: Russian Tea by Masque

Dependent

I use and enjoy this deodorant as well. It is one of the better performing antiperspirant products that I have tried.

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Horizon by Guy Laroche is the most similar thing I've smelled to it. I think Horizon is also still very cheap online, like $10 a bottle last I checked.
    I bought Horizon hoping it would be an EDT of Gilette Cool Wave and for me, it didn't smell like it at all. Maybe I didn't give it enough wearings but I found Lacoste Original to be much closer to Cool Wave.

Horizon is a pretty interesting scent in of itself though.

Wearing it now.

Horizon is not similar at all imo but to each his own.....It has a dominant sharpness (artemesia-petitgrain-salt combo?!) that Cool Wave lacks and is way greener.

Similar: (imo)

- Get the aftershave like already mentioned and also the deodorant spray version is way better than what you have imo; please kind that the vintage aftershave is way mintier and mossier than current stuff!

- Lomani pour homme has some similarities as having that same fresh citric-lavender smell

- To me the fresh part of Carven L'Eau Intense smells like a niche minty version of Gillette Cool Wave

- Some Adidas fragrances are in the same range ('Fresh Impact' I believe?!)
    My Top '11':

- Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Antaeus (vtg)
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Armani: AdG Profumo
    - Mancera: Red Tobacco
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Thierry Mugler: A*men
    - SA: Al Basel
    - D&G: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - YSL: Kouros (vtg)
    - PdM: Layton

Heaven's made of oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh V. View Post
    I bought Horizon hoping it would be an EDT of Gilette Cool Wave and for me, it didn't smell like it at all. Maybe I didn't give it enough wearings but I found Lacoste Original to be much closer to Cool Wave.

Interresting regarding Lacoste (original), one of my favourites since I was a wee lad. The old Sofipar versions have a delicious muskyness to the drydown and have decent performance on me. Post-2000 versions, however, is lacking in the performance department. Makes me curious about Cool Wave, I reckon I must try that one.
    Non IFRA Compliant & proud of it!

Apart from Cool Wave in the after shave splash version, perhaps also (without any further particular order) especially but not exclusively:

Carlo Colucci Uomo Mare, Periplo by l'Erbolario, XXL by Daniel Hechter, Hugh Parsons Blue, Gabriela Sabatini Wild Wind for Men
    Currently wearing: White Tag by Zara

Blog Entries

I own both Horizon and Lacoste and I really don't get much from Lacoste when comparing to Cool Wave. Lacoste is really nice though, and reminds me somewhat of Polo, only more effervescent, but the performance is crap on me.

I think Horizon is the closest thing, contains most of the same notes, and has the slight aquatic twist.

I also think that Eternity is somewhat similar, but I'd stay far away from Eternity its modern iteration, as it smells horrible.

Blog Entries

I just ordered Cool Wave aftershave on Amazon, it's 5 bucks for a 3.3 oz bottle. Hopefully that will refresh my memory so I can see what to compare it to. Haven't smelled it in years.

I just ordered Cool Wave aftershave on Amazon, it's 5 bucks for a 3.3 oz bottle. Hopefully that will refresh my memory so I can see what to compare it to. Haven't smelled it in years.
    You will see it is not similar to Cool Wave (I own both already for over 12 years).......try Lomani pour homme for more similar stuff (imo).
    My Top '11':

- Antaeus (vtg)

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marand75 View Post
    Interresting regarding Lacoste (original), one of my favourites since I was a wee lad. The old Sofipar versions have a delicious muskyness to the drydown and have decent performance on me. Post-2000 versions, however, is lacking in the performance department. Makes me curious about Cool Wave, I reckon I must try that one.
    Lacoste Original is a pretty nice scent, but I've only tried the reform. I loved the top notes but wasn't wowed by the drydown because longevity and it was too similar to Cool Wave, which I already had. But outside of the Gillette stuff, Lacoste is a unique scent, especially considering it came out during the powerhouse era, when everything was loud and perfumey. The descriptions of tennis and sportiness are spot on.

I own both Horizon and Lacoste and I really don't get much from Lacoste when comparing to Cool Wave. Lacoste is really nice though, and reminds me somewhat of Polo, only more effervescent, but the performance is crap on me.

I think Horizon is the closest thing, contains most of the same notes, and has the slight aquatic twist.

I also think that Eternity is somewhat similar, but I'd stay far away from Eternity its modern iteration, as it smells horrible.
    Lacoste like Polo? I never got that, but I'd have to try it again. This talk of Lacoste makes me wish I had snagged the reform at Nordstrom Rack when I had the chance. And this is also making regret getting rid of Horizon, if only because it was so distinctive in an artistic way. It wasn't aquatic freshie to me, it was like aquatic at the beach.

Blog Entries

Lacoste Original is a pretty nice scent, but I've only tried the reform. I loved the top notes but wasn't wowed by the drydown because longevity and it was too similar to Cool Wave, which I already had. But outside of the Gillette stuff, Lacoste is a unique scent, especially considering it came out during the powerhouse era, when everything was loud and perfumey. The descriptions of tennis and sportiness are spot on.

Lacoste like Polo? I never got that, but I'd have to try it again. This talk of Lacoste makes me wish I had snagged the reform at Nordstrom Rack when I had the chance. And this is also making regret getting rid of Horizon, if only because it was so distinctive in an artistic way. It wasn't aquatic freshie to me, it was like aquatic at the beach.
    Both are very cheap online. I got Lacoste 3.3 oz from an open box Fragnet sale on ebay for like 6 or 7 bucks, and Horizon is always $10 online. I never really cared for Horizon either at first, but it grew on me. Btw, are we talking about the same Lacoste, in the green bottle with the white face?

Heaven's made of oakmoss

Both are very cheap online. I got Lacoste 3.3 oz from an open box Fragnet sale on ebay for like 6 or 7 bucks, and Horizon is always $10 online. I never really cared for Horizon either at first, but it grew on me. Btw, are we talking about the same Lacoste, in the green bottle with the white face?
    Yeah, square bottle with rounded corners and white integrated sprayer/cap, launched in '85.
    Non IFRA Compliant & proud of it!

Blog Entries

Ok, wow this caught me off guard. The Cool Wave aftershave I ordered came today, and it smells like I remembered, just that it had been so long, that I couldn't pick the right frag to match it with. This could actually be a great EDT or EDP if Gillette got into the real frag game, this is unique enough to stand out, and i see why the OP is looking for a suitable alternative. That said.. as it marinates on my skin now into the dry down, it smells distinctively different from the opening.

The Horizon recommendation I made earlier was off, and although Horizon is an interesting frag, it's not anywhere near this. The opening of Cool Wave is pretty different from the dry down. When I first put this on I couldn't think of anything honestly, then it hit me.. I get eucalyptus and mint, creating this cooling effect, it definitley reminds me of Swiss Army Mountain Water for Men (a now discontinued scent but can still be found cheap if you look around). So when Lacoste original was recommended and I smelled this opening, I thought to myself wth was that guy on BN thinking?? This is a straight aquatic/fresh opening. Then once Cool Wave dried down (the part I don't ever remember before), I am kind of getting the Lacoste vibe.. it certainly was a good a recommendation, if you are only wanting the dry down of Cool Wave. The dry down does still have an aquatic essence to it, but it's mostly a more green fragrance at this point imo. It also kinda remind me of Aspen's dry down. There's this distinctive peppery mossy note in the base that I'm trying to match with something.

I'll have to give it some more time, and wear it more in my free time. It's really a good fragrance, I'll probably buy the deodorant/antiperspirant next, since I like it so much. Right now I'm doing a side by side with Lacoste and Cool Wave, fresh from the top on each hand. They couldn't be further apart from each other, on complete opposite sides of the spectrum. Lacoste smells like candied limes, while Cool Wave smells like mostly and aquatic with a leather undertone at this point, about 5 mins in on both. I'm still gonna stick with Cool Wave smells very close to Swiss Army Mountain Water for its opening.. but it's gonna take me some more time to determine what the dry down, or overall pick would be comparable to. It will be fun for me, but a challenging one! Fantastic fragrance.

Ferrari Light Essence

Ok, wow this caught me off guard. The Cool Wave aftershave I ordered came today, and it smells like I remembered, just that it had been so long, that I couldn't pick the right frag to match it with. This could actually be a great EDT or EDP if Gillette got into the real frag game, this is unique enough to stand out, and i see why the OP is looking for a suitable alternative. That said.. as it marinates on my skin now into the dry down, it smells distinctively different from the opening.

The Horizon recommendation I made earlier was off, and although Horizon is an interesting frag, it's not anywhere near this. The opening of Cool Wave is pretty different from the dry down. When I first put this on I couldn't think of anything honestly, then it hit me.. I get eucalyptus and mint, creating this cooling effect, it definitley reminds me of Swiss Army Mountain Water for Men (a now discontinued scent but can still be found cheap if you look around). So when Lacoste original was recommended and I smelled this opening, I thought to myself wth was that guy on BN thinking?? This is a straight aquatic/fresh opening. Then once Cool Wave dried down (the part I don't ever remember before), I am kind of getting the Lacoste vibe.. it certainly was a good a recommendation, if you are only wanting the dry down of Cool Wave. The dry down does still have an aquatic essence to it, but it's mostly a more green fragrance at this point imo. It also kinda remind me of Aspen's dry down. There's this distinctive peppery mossy note in the base that I'm trying to match with something.

I'll have to give it some more time, and wear it more in my free time. It's really a good fragrance, I'll probably buy the deodorant/antiperspirant next, since I like it so much. Right now I'm doing a side by side with Lacoste and Cool Wave, fresh from the top on each hand. They couldn't be further apart from each other, on complete opposite sides of the spectrum. Lacoste smells like candied limes, while Cool Wave smells like mostly and aquatic with a leather undertone at this point, about 5 mins in on both. I'm still gonna stick with Cool Wave smells very close to Swiss Army Mountain Water for its opening.. but it's gonna take me some more time to determine what the dry down, or overall pick would be comparable to. It will be fun for me, but a challenging one! Fantastic fragrance.
    Tried Lomani pour homme?
    My Top '11':

- Antaeus (vtg)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slayerized View Post
    Tried Lomani pour homme?
    I recall it to smell like Drakkar Noir.

True but a way fresher (and cheaper) version of it.....the fresh part is a bit similar to Cool Wave imo but a bit more lavender based.
    My Top '11':

- Antaeus (vtg)

Kryptomint by T. Mugler blends the mint nicely but takes this in a powdery barbershop direction.
    Iridium by T. Daxon would compliment Cool Wave Gillette and enhance the cool airy natural aspects.
    Almost Transparent Blue by A Lab on Fire would coordinate well and enhance the cool blue transparent quality.
    winter 2021: • tabac • zeste de gingerbread • dunhill icon • baume du doge • azemour • sancti • l'humaniste • aesop hywyl • bois d'encens • haxan • aran • purple haze • winter palace • black leather • coze 02 • dirty ginger • phthalo blue • smoke show