Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Junkie Alonewithcologne's Avatar

Default Favorite Actively Writing Basenotes Reviewers

Happy (almost) Thanksgiving, everyone! Who are your favorite currently active Basenotes reviewers? I'd like to read more reviews on this site, and so I'm interested in your opinions.

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Favorite Actively Writing Basenotes Reviewers

Zealot Crusader

He provides in depth reviews, goes a little into the history of the fragrance for context, and the way he describes a scent has been pretty accurate to my own experiences with them. If he ever writes a coffee table book of fragrances and/or history of fragrances, I'm buying it.

Claire V - consistently achieves that rare, perfect balance between rigorous breakdowns and general eloquence.

Darvant - has developed a distinct stylistic identity; idiosyncratic and evocative.

Zealot Crusader - impeccable work rate, diligence and a uniquely pointed focus on the historical/social context of a given fragrance.

Honourable mentions: drseid, rbaker

Gimmegreen, Foetidus, Darvant, Claire V......

Too many to mention, but Zealot Crusader's writing in particular is outstanding.

Last edited by morrison74; 1st January 2021 at 07:49 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Everyone

ZEALOT CRUSADER and CLAIRE V are Basenotes treasures.

I love the history and market perspective that ZC brings to the table. Not many others can or do go that in depth at painting such a complete picture of a scent along with so much interesting background. A truly insightful student of the perfume industry.

CLAIRE V is just such a pleasure to read. Even reading a review of something she loathes is fun, enlightening experience.

There are many others I enjoy...DRSEID, DARVANT, and of course FOETIDUS.

I honestly wish more people posted reviews. The more the merrier...
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.

All Is Beautiful

Agree. Love Zealot Crusader's reviews, and Claire V and many others. Basenotes reviewers are incredibly helpful and entertaining.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

Missing Oakmoss

ClaireV for me.

Too many to mention, however yet again seconding especially but by far not exclusively Claire V, Darvant, Bavard and Zealot Crusader.
    With high, heartfelt and incessant hopes that Primrose, Naed Nitram, Redneck Perfumisto, Shamu/Pour Monsieur, The Good Life, Alfarom, Odysseum, Bonzo, Sir Slarty, Colin Maillard, Andre Moreau either do return and/or enrich us and our BN community more frequently with additional reviews

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    CLAIRE V is just such a pleasure to read. Even reading a review of something she loathes is fun, enlightening experience.
    This!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Anyone. A single review can put someone among my favorites. The two I read most consistently are drseid and Darvant.

Basenotes Plus

Way Off Scenter, Zealot Crusader, Darvant, and Colin Maillard

“Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.”
    ― Mark Twain
    Currently wearing: Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent

I like Luca Turin not because I think he has a grandmaster's nose, but because he has learned so much of the history of perfumery, and he has knowledge that other's either lack, or won't tell. I know that wasn't your question exactly since he doesn't post here anymore, but for a frame of reference I think that's more valuable than wordy purple prose descriptions. I do enjoy some of Zealot's reviews, although I question the veracity of some of his statements, I enjoy Darvant, Bavard has quite the keen nose for 80's and other vintage fragrances, and I really enjoy Colin Mailiard despite his clear biases against certain styles and houses, because he's not afraid to call something shit he thinks is shit regards of what the hoi polloi think which when you pay attention is lacking in most people who review fragrances out of what I assume is fear of retribution from the houses. That is another aspect of Turin I enjoy with Marlou's 50ml and Nuit Noire (civet fart) being fantastic examples.

Would like to nominate myself. Don't know how anyone could not enjoy my enlightening artistic prose of "this shit stank"
    Don't stank.
    Currently wearing: Qatar by Roja Dove

Deadidol, Collin Maillard (even if he hates Antonio's work) and JackTwist. Also drseid and rbaker.

Not exactly reviewers, but I usually enjoy reading (and agree with) Castingshadows and Proust_Madeleine.

Quote Originally Posted by wood&leather View Post
    Would like to nominate myself. Don't know how anyone could not enjoy my enlightening artistic prose of "this shit stank"
    You definitely get my vote , you and the other active members in the areej le dore thread

I genuinely enjoy reading your thread contributions, since my tastes align with yours somewhat you provide good insight for me.

Claire V is my very top but there are lots of great writers on here!

Banned

Currently wearing: Sensuous by Estée Lauder

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    ClaireV for me.
    Definitely ClaireV
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

ClaireV is a delight to read. Last time I looked, however, she hadn't posted for a while, and I think she kind of had a burn-out. But I'm hoping one day she'll return.

Special mention also to Colin Maillard, also not seen for many a moon.

Dependent

Zealot Crusader for me.
    Currently wearing: Interlude Man by Amouage

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Hoover View Post
    Gimmegreen, Foetidus, Darvant, Claire V......
    +1 for me
    Currently wearing: Hasu-no-Hana by Grossmith

I’m not old, I’m vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by saminlondon View Post
    ClaireV is a delight to read. Last time I looked, however, she hadn't posted for a while, and I think she kind of had a burn-out. But I'm hoping one day she'll return.
    ClaireV is active at her blog:

http://takeonethingoff.com

She still stops by here occasionally, as well. For pure literary delight, she is the uncontested queen of BN reviews. Her writing drew me to BN in the first place. For the most informative reviews, I always turn to my favorite dragon, Zealot Crusader. However, I deeply appreciate the work of many other reviewers, as well as some wonderful posters who don't enshrine their work in the reviews section (Grayspoole comes immediately to mind).
    Currently wearing: Cuba by Czech & Speake

All Is Beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    ClaireV is active at her blog:

http://takeonethingoff.com

She still stops by here occasionally, as well. For pure literary delight, she is the uncontested queen of BN reviews. Her writing drew me to BN in the first place. For the most informative reviews, I always turn to my favorite dragon, Zealot Crusader. However, I deeply appreciate the work of many other reviewers, as well as some wonderful posters who don't enshrine their work in the reviews section (Grayspoole comes immediately to mind).
    Indeed. I completely agree.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

Basenotes Plus

ClaireV’s an absolute riot - always a must-read. ZealotCrusader’s investigative insight into a perfume’s history is a marvel - you’re in the wrong line, buddy! Enjoying Darvant and Foetidus’ prolific output over the years, and of late gimmegreen’s concise approach speaks volumes to me.

Of the no longer active, I’m definitely missing Colin Maillard’s and Vibert /Way Off-Scenter’s contributions and Alfarom’s precision. Then there’s Naed_Nitram’s whimsical takes and Redneck’s poetic haikus. And who can forget a reviewing legend - jtd.

You know what? I wish there is a hardcopy compilation of Basenotes’ Best Reviews. I’d gladly fork over good money for it. I bet it’ll give Turin’s A-Z Guide a good run for the money. C’mon, Grant. Make this happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    ClaireV’s an absolute riot - always a must-read. ZealotCrusader’s investigative insight into a perfume’s history is a marvel - you’re in the wrong line, buddy! Enjoying Darvant and Foetidus’ prolific output over the years, and of late gimmegreen’s concise approach speaks volumes to me.

Of the no longer active, I’m definitely missing Colin Maillard’s and Vibert /Way Off-Scenter’s contributions and Alfarom’s precision. Then there’s Naed_Nitram’s whimsical takes and Redneck’s poetic haikus. And who can forget a reviewing legend - jtd.

You know what? I wish there is a hardcopy compilation of Basenotes’ Best Reviews. I’d gladly fork over good money for it. I bet it’ll give Turin’s A-Z Guide a good run for the money. C’mon, Grant. Make this happen.
    +100!
    Waiting for Hednic's 8th star

I think Trebor requested that all his reviews be wiped. I would like to read them all again.

+1 for Colin

Sorry but both 'inactive'

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post

That would be amazing! Maybe crowdfunding could be set up to get it published?

The names that spring to mind for me are ClaireV, Colin Maillard, Starblind, drseid.... lots of others too