Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Avon celebrate 134th birthday with Charmed

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Avon celebrate 134th birthday with Charmed

I feel like Avon was looking at brands like Clive Christian, Roja Dove, Fragrance du Bois, Royal Crown, plus all their fans who ham-fistedly express that price determines quality and decided to throw some epic shade on them. Especially after literal decades at this point of being bashed by these same groups online for choosing accessibility over exclusivity in their own pricing strategies. Yeah, the pretense presented here is celebration of history, but I think there is a deeper experiment underway here, and point being made.

Is it really worth $1200 from a perfume quality standpoint? Probably no more or no less than any of the above exercises in Veblen marketing, plus the battle will always rage eternal over price of ingredients vs talent of perfumer anyway and there will never be a winner of that war, ever. Do I want to sample it? Sure I do. Avon compositional quirks (house amber style, traditional accords, anachronism) combined with allegedly top-notch ingredients could result in something fun to experience.

But, being as this is made from the start as a collectable, and the juice inside is likely never to see release in any other form, it'll just be unobtanium to me like most "haute" brands I mentioned above. But I do think it's deliciously ironic that one of the industry's most notoriously "cheap" brands has decided to go straight to the opposite extreme to prove a point about the exclusivity mindset in general, and that's literally any perfume brand can pull it off, if they really wanted to.

So, how exclusive is exclusivity, really?
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil

queen of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    I feel like Avon was looking at brands like Clive Christian, Roja Dove, Fragrance du Bois, Royal Crown, plus all their fans who ham-fistedly express that price determines quality and decided to throw some epic shade on them. Especially after literal decades at this point of being bashed by these same groups online for choosing accessibility over exclusivity in their own pricing strategies. Yeah, the pretense presented here is celebration of history, but I think there is a deeper experiment underway here, and point being made.

Is it really worth $1200 from a perfume quality standpoint? Probably no more or no less than any of the above exercises in Veblen marketing, plus the battle will always rage eternal over price of ingredients vs talent of perfumer anyway and there will never be a winner of that war, ever. Do I want to sample it? Sure I do. Avon compositional quirks (house amber style, traditional accords, anachronism) combined with allegedly top-notch ingredients could result in something fun to experience.

But, being as this is made from the start as a collectable, and the juice inside is likely never to see release in any other form, it'll just be unobtanium to me like most "haute" brands I mentioned above. But I do think it's deliciously ironic that one of the industry's most notoriously "cheap" brands has decided to go straight to the opposite extreme to prove a point about the exclusivity mindset in general, and that's literally any perfume brand can pull it off, if they really wanted to.

So, how exclusive is exclusivity, really?
    Brilliant analysis, and such crisp writing. I enjoyed reading this.
    To my CONUS friends: I would be delighted to pass the ELdO sampler to an ELdO newbie

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I think the bottle is quite nice.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jujy54 View Post
    Brilliant analysis, and such crisp writing. I enjoyed reading this.
    Thank you. I enjoyed writing it.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil