Code of Conduct

Default If not Creed, then who?

So Creed has created a famed fragrance house with possibly a little embellishment of truth/history/provenance etc etc
    The ideal that appeals most to me is the use of the finest natural ingredients and the use of traditional methods to create their fragrances (as much as is possible)
    What alternative fragrance brand/house manages to uphold this ideal and creates quality fragrances particularly in the fresh fragrance genre.

I don't really care if some famous historical figure had a fragrance made bespoke for him/her etc etc I just want quality fragrance at a fair price, preferably with as high a percentage of natural ingredients as is possible.

My bank account may regret this question :-) TIA

Freed from BN Institution

Default Re: If not Creed, then who?

Xerjoff comes to mind with their citrus offerings like Nio, Kobe, and 1861 Renaissance.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

Providence Perfume Company - Fun, indie house that specializes in naturals.
    4160 Tuesdays - Indie house with lots of releases, and the perfumer does do-it-yourself classes - always great vibes from this house.
    Guerlain - Lots of citrus options, such as Eau de Cologne Imperiale.

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    Guerlain - Lots of citrus options, such as Eau de Cologne Imperiale.
    This one is the first the comes to mind. Try out something like their Cologne du Parfumeur, among many other classically structured Eau de Cologne options.
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Jasmin Antique (Rogue Perfumery)
    3) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie
    3) Giorgio V.I.P. Special Reserve (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie

5) Dia pour Homme vintage edt (Amouage)

6) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    7) Nombre Noir (Shiseido)
    8) Lucifer (Renaissance Fragrances) - tie
    8) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    8) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie

Currently wearing: Calvin by Calvin Klein

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    4160 Tuesdays - Indie house with lots of releases, and the perfumer does do-it-yourself classes - always great vibes from this house.
    +1
    An added bonus is that customers don't have to pay for ridiculous packaging costs

It's very fallacious to think that natural = better than synthetic ... far from it! There's not a single high profile house that makes 100% naturals, as many natural ingredients are problematic(don't last, go bad, etc.) so it's quite limiting!

A house that gets a bit of praise is April Aromatics, but haven't sniffed any and enthusiasts about "natural" stuff tend to lie or exaggerate... pretty expensive house... one should test first!

I have and enjoy a lot of CREEDS. I have no doubt many of their older scents did make liberal use of naturals. But this day and age, I'm sure they make liberal use of synthetics as does any perfumer.
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Godet perhaps.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by tintin19 View Post
    So Creed has created a famed fragrance house with possibly a little embellishment of truth/history/provenance etc etc
    The ideal that appeals most to me is the use of the finest natural ingredients and the use of traditional methods to create their fragrances (as much as is possible)
    What alternative fragrance brand/house manages to uphold this ideal and creates quality fragrances particularly in the fresh fragrance genre.

I don't really care if some famous historical figure had a fragrance made bespoke for him/her etc etc I just want quality fragrance at a fair price, preferably with as high a percentage of natural ingredients as is possible.

My bank account may regret this question :-) TIA

To answer your question about which house has quality fragrances but also seems to emphasize “FRESH” fragrances, I think James Heeley is the most consistent example of that approach (next to Creed). Their fragrances are “niche quality” and many of them possess a fresh transparency, even some the fragrances that feature leather, incense, and other typically “heavy” notes.
    2020 Fall: 1.BdJ 2.BR 3.IB 4.Fjerne 5.Ore 6.ADG 7.BdCP 8.Prada CdN 9.TOM 10.BAV 11.Cr-EPC 12.NYI 13.ZdG 14.ESAS 15.1962
    2021 Winter: 1.DHI 2.Ganymede 3.OFG 4.Tuxedo 5.Egoiste 6.TR 7.RO 8.AdGA 9.Elysium PPH 10.Vik 11.Prada LH 12.ESP2017 13.Jeke 14.AdGProfumo
    2021 Spring: 1.Rehab 2.MicallefAG 3.ATOH 4.DH 5.SE 6.AdGAI 7.P+O 8.CB 9.GIT 10. AdGProfondo 11.AHEB 12.CLEI 13.Fahrenheit 14.Sova
    Summer 1.VIW 2.VM 3.LDDM 4.DiorBS 5.MI 6.Nio
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

Also adding Hugh Parsons-especially thanks to Blue, Sartorial by Penhaligon's and most of the Blu Mediterraneo line by Acqua di Parma

James Heeley.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Roja dove is super high quality IMO

Also, Fragrance One...
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Hermes Un jardin line also their regular cologne line in a colourfull bottles
    Currently wearing: Coco Noir Parfum by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    Roja dove is super high quality IMO
    That one would be up there with Xerjoff in luxury quality.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Guerlain still uses high quality ingredients in my opinion. Even on some of their fragrances I tried that I did not like that much, you could tell it was still good quality.

Also Parfums Nicolai. They are high quality.

everyday i'm samplin'

I assume you arent looking for all natural perfume since you are using Creed as an example. High quality ingredients, they are on par with Guerlain. So nice quality ingredients that arent neccesarily natural, and classic structure.
    Ormonde Jayne
    Guerlain
    Dior Prive

If pressed id say also say to try Fredric Malle
    I smell.
    Currently wearing: Lucky by Christian Dior

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    James Heeley.
    I like this suggestion.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Rogue Perfumery, although relatively new to the world of perfumery, has some offerings you may want to order samples of.

Quote Originally Posted by tspencer View Post
    Rogue Perfumery, although relatively new to the world of perfumery, has some offerings you may want to order samples of.
    Quality fragrances that are not IFRA independent and at an affordable price.

Quote Originally Posted by dieselboy77 View Post
    Hermes Un jardin line also their regular cologne line in a colourfull bottles
    this line is amazing

Parfums de Marly