Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

Default Re: Which scent gets you the most compliments? Pt.2

^Great story! Background and context always helps. Here's to several more dates with her!
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

Basenotes Plus

I agree with the thread being all-inclusive for compliments. And like Danny said, a 'Today I received a compliment on...' is much better. That's essentially what the initial thread turned into anyways. Most complimented, just complimented, man, woman, etc. - just include it all. Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Miltz View Post
    Had the first date in a little while where I was punching above my weight, on Saturday just gone. One of those where you decide a couple of days in advance what you are going to wear clothes and scent wise. It was a nice meal at The Ivy (medium - high-end restaurant in the UK) in my city, I went with a black shirt tucked in, jeans and dark boots. The smarter end of smart casual was the order of the night. I'm 27, the woman is 30.

Now I've set the scene... I was originally planning to wear TF Ombre Leather, a scent that I was waiting on in the mail and would suit the outfit I'd picked perfectly. Has a decent projection and performance in my eyes so should last me the evening. Anyway... It didn't arrive in time.

I was about to go with AdG Profumo BUT I remembered I had a 3ml sample of Aqua Di Parma - Colonia Leather on my shelf that I'd NEVER tried, risky... Anyway, I went with 3 sprays to the chest, two to the neck and one behind each ear (YES I belong in the over sprayers lounge), and I added two sprays to my shirt in the lift on the way up to her flat which is where I met her.

As soon as she opened the door she commented 'oh you smell lovely'. Mission success... although that wasn't all. On the way to the taxi she commented positively on the scent again, and after a one spray re-application in the restroom of the restaurant (about 2 hours in), she commented on it again, all very positive... When I got home, I ordered 180ml of the stuff, what a find.

Hopefully, the story set the scene for you a bit with regards to compliments from a female, I think context helps.

TLDR; AdP - Colonia Leather got me 3+ compliments from a 10/10 on third date.
    Cool and all about the compliments, but jeez that's entirely way too many sprays for that one. There's a point of diminishing returns, and straight up blasting your nose to the stratosphere straight into olfactory fatigue; a waste of juice. lol
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!
    Currently wearing: HiM by Hanae Mori

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    I agree with the thread being all-inclusive for compliments. And like Danny said, a 'Today I received a compliment on...' is much better. That's essentially what the initial thread turned into anyways. Most complimented, just complimented, man, woman, etc. - just include it all. Why not?

Cool and all about the compliments, but jeez that's entirely way too many sprays for that one. There's a point of diminishing returns, and straight up blasting your nose to the stratosphere straight into olfactory fatigue; a waste of juice. lol
    I don’t disagree with you there - first time wearing it and probably a little trigger happy. Whilst I enjoyed it on the night - I’ll probably reign it in so I don’t get so used to / bored of the scent!

Lately
    Mancera Amber Fever
    JPG Le Male le parfum
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

Hi everyone, any list for 2019?

This is the previous compliment thread we had:

https://www.basenotes.net/threads/21...iments/page347

No lists that I know of but it may give you some idea of what you are looking for.

I got a compliment this evening from a gentleman serving our table for dinner. It was the classic ‘somebody smells nice over here’.

I was wearing Tom Ford Ombrť Leather, generously, too.

Banned

I got a compliment this evening from a gentleman serving our table for dinner. It was the classic Ďsomebody smells nice over hereí.

I was wearing Tom Ford Ombrť Leather, generously, too.
    Itís a very nice scent! Sometimes tickles my nose which if werenít for that I would wear more often

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vul View Post
    Hi everyone, any list for 2019?
    Same as the year before that and before that and so on. Not one compliment ever on any Cologne. 200+. Just adding a different perspective to the thread, and only a few actually posted which ones they received a compliment on. Iím a quiet, reserved, muscular man, intimidating man. Fragrances are for me, not others.

My wife complimented me on Reflection Man by Amouage. Two sprays to the chest and magnetic cap for those interested.

Basenotes Plus

One of my co-workers (totally different dept. elsewhere in the building) dropped by the office - despite wearing a mask she asked what fragrance I'm wearing and said she could smell it (I only did ~2 sprays! One to torso under shirt, and 1 to forearm). Then she said it smells good.

Xerjoff - Al-Khatt
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

I went outside to get in my wife's car after she got off work with my first wearing of Initio Oud For Greatness. In 2 seconds she was gushing about how incredible I smelled. I normally get a "you smell good" but this was way over the top!

For whatever reason this past Autumn itís been Scent Intense by Costume National.

One thing Iíve come to learn is that I neither plan it that way nor is it ever the scent that I might otherwise expect will gather a compliment. Iím just reporting for the purposes of this thread as a matter of interest. Iím probably more in kinship with many others who have previously stated in these two threads that they wear their fragrances primarily for themselves, if not entirely. Still, I am always amused which ones end up getting complimented as most times itís not what I was expecting . . . and thatís the part that keeps it interesting.
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

Basenotes Member

Compliments are few and far between these days, with everyone masked up and standing a distance apart.

Two Iíve had complimented recently-ish: Ummagumma (Bruno Fazzolari) and Dolls (Moth & Rabbit). The SO (female) looooves Ummagumma.

Complimenters: female in both cases.
    Currently wearing: Rich Mess by Ryan Richmond

Typically, I am very politically correct. But I'm not going to be in this particular instance. If my nephew tells me he likes my cologne, that is NOT to be categorized with a beautiful woman passing me in a grocery store and telling me, "oooooh.... You smell AMAZING!"

I THINK THERE SHOULD BE A THREAD DEDICATED TO COMPLIMENTS THAT WE RECEIVED FROM WOMEN TO WHOM WE ARE NOT RELATED THERE IS AN ACTUAL PURPOSE FOR IT! SOME GUYS ONLY WEAR COLOGNE TO ATTRACT WOMEN. SORRY... I DIDN'T REALIZE THE CAPS LOCK WAS ON. I thought I just took the caps lock off. Okay, that's better.

So if there's a fragrance that we wear for the office versus going to a club when we are single, that difference should be recognized. There are a variety of purposes for fragrance.
    Current rotation:
    Polo Green(Warner version)
    Calvin(original)
    Dakar(prefer it to current drakkar noir)
    LPDO Vanille Persuasive
    Kenzo Jungle Home
    Mercedes Benz Private
    Terre d'Hermes EDT

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by DEMON View Post
    Typically, I am very politically correct. But I'm not going to be in this particular instance. If my nephew tells me he likes my cologne, that is NOT to be categorized with a beautiful woman passing me in a grocery store and telling me, "oooooh.... You smell AMAZING!"

I THINK THERE SHOULD BE A THREAD DEDICATED TO COMPLIMENTS THAT WE RECEIVED FROM WOMEN TO WHOM WE ARE NOT RELATED THERE IS AN ACTUAL PURPOSE FOR IT! SOME GUYS ONLY WEAR COLOGNE TO ATTRACT WOMEN. SORRY... I DIDN'T REALIZE THE CAPS LOCK WAS ON. I thought I just took the caps lock off. Okay, that's better.

So if there's a fragrance that we wear for the office versus going to a club when we are single, that difference should be recognized. There are a variety of purposes for fragrance.
    Nah, it's fine here. People can read for themselves to get the context and such around a lot of these. It's just for good fun.
    All Hail King Kouros!

I was in BJ's with a friend when she suddenly gushed, "You smell GOOD!" I was mildly taken aback because I had just recently received the fragrance from the mail man. I merrily thanked her and bore in mind that Royal Bain de Caron "Champagne" and I were going to be seeing a lot of the world this spring!
    My Signature Lineup: Ambre Tabac, Green Leather, Alexandria II, MFK Baccarat Rouge 540, Grand Soir, Spice & Wood, Vetiver Geranium, Royal Mayfair, Pardon, Roja Dove Enigma, Jubilation XXV, Prada L'homme, AVENTUS, GIT, Clive Christian C and X, Herod, Velvet Orchid, Black Orchid, Layton, Layton Exclusif, Pegasus, ADP Colonia, Leather Concentree,Tuscan Leather,Noir de Noir, Oud Wood, Noir Extreme, APOM, BEL AMI, Genghis Khan, Reflection Man, Kalemat Black, Cedrat Boise, Interlude Man,

A compliment from friends or someone at a family gathering is totally different than an unsolicited compliment from a woman that finds your scent attractive. The original thread made a point of distinguishing the two. This thread does not, and that is frustrating. Certainly, hearing about which fragrances get you ANY sort of compliments has it's merits and I can appreciate that. Yet I imagine that I speak for the majority here when I say that's not why I checked the old thread.

OP's comment in this thread actually reads as trying to be more inclusive to the gay members of this community, which I think is a great idea! It's vaguely and clumsily worded, but it's well-meaning, and I certainly don't want any gay guys to feel left out. Something along the lines of "What fragrance has gotten you the most compliments from the sex you're attracted to?", accomplishes the goal of the original thread, but is also worded better to include everyone :-)

One of two things needs to happen to continue the spirit of the first thread:

1. Make a new thread that has language inclusive to gay members of this group i.e. "What fragrance has gotten you the most compliments from the sex you're attracted to?"

2. Make a new thread and require each poster to state WHO gave them a compliment, so that we can distinguish between dates, girlfriends, wives, random woman (or man!) on the street that was attracted to you/your scent, and your buddy Brian or cousin at a family gathering that said "I like that cologne!".

TL;DR A compliment from a woman or man that finds YOU ATTRACTIVE is completely different than a compliment coming from a family member or friend. This thread does not separate the two. The old one did. OP sounds like he doesn't want to exclude any gay guys in this thread, and tried to word it accordingly. This has nothing to do with political correctness- it has to do with getting compliments rooted in sexual or physical attraction.

We're really overthinking at this point. 'Which scent gets you the most compliments' or 'Today I was compliments on _____, by _____'

Done. Keep it simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    We're really overthinking at this point. 'Which scent gets you the most compliments' or 'Today I was compliments on _____, by _____'

Done. Keep it simple.
    Truth.

I passed by a couple of women in a department store a few days ago and I overheard one of them say "He smells gooooood..."

I was wearing Fragrance One - Office for Men...the Eau de Cologne formulation which is marketed as a deodorant. I use it as a regular fragrance (a spray behind each ear) and it outperforms many EDTs. You can find a 100ml bottle for under $40 which is a great value considering the EDP version is nearly $200 undiscounted.

Sounds like your fragrance arrives a few minutes before your body does. Whatever works for you!

Had the first date in a little while where I was punching above my weight, on Saturday just gone. One of those where you decide a couple of days in advance what you are going to wear clothes and scent wise. It was a nice meal at The Ivy (medium - high-end restaurant in the UK) in my city, I went with a black shirt tucked in, jeans and dark boots. The smarter end of smart casual was the order of the night. I'm 27, the woman is 30.

Now I've set the scene... I was originally planning to wear TF Ombre Leather, a scent that I was waiting on in the mail and would suit the outfit I'd picked perfectly. Has a decent projection and performance in my eyes so should last me the evening. Anyway... It didn't arrive in time.

I was about to go with AdG Profumo BUT I remembered I had a 3ml sample of Aqua Di Parma - Colonia Leather on my shelf that I'd NEVER tried, risky... Anyway, I went with 3 sprays to the chest, two to the neck and one behind each ear (YES I belong in the over sprayers lounge), and I added two sprays to my shirt in the lift on the way up to her flat which is where I met her.

As soon as she opened the door she commented 'oh you smell lovely'. Mission success... although that wasn't all. On the way to the taxi she commented positively on the scent again, and after a one spray re-application in the restroom of the restaurant (about 2 hours in), she commented on it again, all very positive... When I got home, I ordered 180ml of the stuff, what a find.

Hopefully, the story set the scene for you a bit with regards to compliments from a female, I think context helps.

TLDR; AdP - Colonia Leather got me 3+ compliments from a 10/10 on third date.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BrandDC View Post
    I passed by a couple of women in a department store a few days ago and I overheard one of them say "He smells gooooood..."

I was wearing Fragrance One - Office for Men...the Eau de Cologne formulation which is marketed as a deodorant. I use it as a regular fragrance (a spray behind each ear) and it outperforms many EDTs. You can find a 100ml bottle for under $40 which is a great value considering the EDP version is nearly $200 undiscounted.
    Yes!!!!!!!!

Blog Entries

Club de Nuit Intense Man by Armaf. Both men and women alike.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Top Favorites

Lyric Man by Amouage
    Reflection Man by Amouage
    Club de Nuit Intense Man by Armaf
    Dior Homme Intense
    Noir Extreme by Tom Ford
    La Nuit L'Homme by YSL
    Layton by Parfums de Marly
    Black Aoud by Montale
    More Than Words by Xerjoff
    Sunshine Man by Amouage

My fiancť gave me a rare compliment yesterday evening. She took a large inhale of my chest and said that it smelt delicious and of vanilla.

This was 12 hours after spraying HdP 1725, which I could no longer detect.
    Please see my "wanted partials"
    Currently wearing: Herod by Parfums de Marly

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by boosh View Post
    My fiancť gave me a rare compliment yesterday evening. She took a large inhale of my chest and said that it smelt delicious and of vanilla.

This was 12 hours after spraying HdP 1725, which I could no longer detect.
    Nice! I always wonder if anyone can smell me long after I can't smell myself.

New member.....

I was complimented yesterday

House of Sillage No4

Don't think of this as a compliment getter but received 2 at work yesterday from 2 women who have almost opposite taste. One has liked 3 perfumes she has smelled on me in 8 years. The other likes 95% of what I wear.
    The fragrance is not one I think about as universally loved .....Oceania by Roja Dove.

Basenotes Plus

Received a compliment from the cashier at Publix today while checking out. She kept telling me how great I smelled and asked what it was.The fragrance: Louis Vuitton Au Hasard.
    Current Spring Favorites:
    Roja Parfums Elysium Parfum-Cologne
    Roja Parfums Danger Parfum Pour Homme
    Roja Parfums Diaghilev
    Roja Parfums Oligarch
    Amouage Reflection Man
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Viking
    Byredo Bal d'Afrique
    MFK Aqua Universalis Forte
    MFK Aqua Vita Forte
    Dior Sauvage
    Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Just stumbled upon this thread.

End of last December, ride from airport to home, female cab driver said I smelled very nice and asked what I was wearing - Creed Bois du Portugal. Mind you both of us were wearing masks. Not sure if pandering for a tip but whatevs I'll take what I can get and she got a nice tip to boot

PS - I couldn't smell it on myself so I thought the scent faded but 8 hours later it was still pumping I guess?

IMG_5148.jpg

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast