Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Which scent gets you the most compliments? Pt.2

The mods requested starting a new thread since the previous compliments thread got very long.

Below is a link to the previous thread.
    https://www.basenotes.net/threads/21...le-compliments

This thread is now more broad and compliments given by males can be posted as well.

Please state the sex of the individual(s) providing the compliment(s) as it will help with yearend tallying purposes.

Mods can you please sticky this and close the other thread.

Thanks
    Last edited by sunny5011; 27th November 2020 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Broadened the question
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments? Pt.2

Anything fresh and currently in the designer realm for sure, the sweet designer fragrances as well.

Dependent

Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

Got a compliment from my wife (who it STINGY when it comes to such things) yesterday morning - I had just showered and gotten dressed to run some errands, and she said "You look nice, I like your outfit" and then when I got closer to kiss her goodbye "Mmm and you smell SO good too!"

Chypre Palatin by MDCI

Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    Got a compliment from my wife (who it STINGY when it comes to such things) yesterday morning - I had just showered and gotten dressed to run some errands, and she said "You look nice, I like your outfit" and then when I got closer to kiss her goodbye "Mmm and you smell SO good too!"

Chypre Palatin by MDCI
    Great work. If Momma ain’t happy...

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I wonder if shotcaller, the OP of the original thread with the grand sum of 2 posts contributed to the website, knows how far his thread ended up going.

Afraid I cannot add anything to current to the thread in question other than to say that Layton is well liked, as is Aventus, but lockdown has meant compliments are non existent.
    If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

Blog Entries

Just curious if OP could change the topic to just compliments and not limit it to females, as I think it hinders the topic. I get a lot of compliments from male co-workers, and I'm sure others do as well, and since there is no "which frag gets you the most male compliments" on this board, and now since the original has closed, this would be the perfect time to change the title. Of course, people can still post what they want, but I think they would be more compelled to post here if it wasn't off topic from the title.

Blog Entries

Clive Christian 1872 was very popular today at a family event
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator

African Leather by Memo was a huge hit last night. Got a number of compliments.
    Current Favorites:
    Memo African Leather, LV Ombre Nomade, Costume National Homme, Nishane Hacivat, Nasomatto Pardon
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Just curious if OP could change the topic to just compliments and not limit it to females, as I think it hinders the topic. I get a lot of compliments from male co-workers, and I'm sure others do as well, and since there is no "which frag gets you the most male compliments" on this board, and now since the original has closed, this would be the perfect time to change the title. Of course, people can still post what they want, but I think they would be more compelled to post here if it wasn't off topic from the title.
    Very true and a good point. I got in trouble a long time ago because of this lol.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Very true and a good point. I got in trouble a long time ago because of this lol.
    Hi guys, I recall these incidents as well.

Glad this comment was made. I've made the title more broad.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sunny5011 View Post
    Hi guys, I recall these incidents as well.

Glad this comment was made. I've made the title more broad.
    Thanks.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    I wonder if shotcaller, the OP of the original thread with the grand sum of 2 posts contributed to the website, knows how far his thread ended up going.
    I very much doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by SchoolHouseRocky View Post
    African Leather by Memo was a huge hit last night. Got a number of compliments.
    That's a very fine scent. What was the occasion?

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    IThat's a very fine scent. What was the occasion?
    Thanksgiving I wore TF Extreme while I was preparing the meal, and after that was finished, I switched to African Leather. There was a collective, “why do you always smell so good?!”, and my sister-in-law kept gushing about AL throughout the evening.
    Current Favorites:
    Memo African Leather, LV Ombre Nomade, Costume National Homme, Nishane Hacivat, Nasomatto Pardon
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

Default Re: Which scent gets you the most compliments? Pt.2

Green Irish Tweed, Cedrat Boise & CDNI.

Aventus

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    not limit it to females, as I think it hinders the topic.
    I totally DISAGREE!

It's a completely different topic! Many people in the original topic were mostly interested in fragrances that are liked by women for some very specific reasons(like dating/seduction/etc.) Mixing that with what men like will lead mixed-up posts and it will be very hard to draw relevant conclusions. Separate topics would be far better.

It pretty much sounds like the political correctness craziness that is very fashionable nowadays. But for rational people it's plain wrong.
    Last edited by ccdan; 5th December 2020 at 07:37 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ccdan View Post
    I totally DISAGREE!

It's a completely different topic! Many people in the original topic were mostly interested in fragrances that are liked by women for some very specific reasons(like dating/seduction/etc.) Mixing that with what men like will lead mixed-up posts and it will be very hard to draw relevant conclusions. Separate topics would be far better.

It pretty much sounds like the political correctness craziness that is very fashionable nowadays. But for rational people it's plain just wrong.
    Nah it’s become more about who got a compliment for what scent. I appreciate when anyone compliments me on a scent I’m wearing, man woman or child.

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    Nah it’s become more about who got a compliment for what scent. I appreciate when anyone compliments me on a scent I’m wearing, man woman or child.
    The whole thread morphed into something different to original title anyway. I assume the original thread was about which scent(s) in a collection get the most female compliments. However, it then turned into people telling about an individual compliment received for a scent - although useful, I am not sure this was the original intention of the thread.

Also there is no differentiation between solicited and unsolicited compliments - unsolicited are much more interesting in my view.

No matter what though - I will always visit this thread as compliments are a fun part of fragrances to me!

So we just just start a new topic, then, titled 'Today I Received A Compliment On....'

The topic of discussing which scent gets the MOST compliments, is fine but it doesn't draw an ongoing discussion. Hence the morph.

Basenotes Plus

So we just just start a new topic, then, titled 'Today I Received A Compliment On....'

The topic of discussing which scent gets the MOST compliments, is fine but it doesn't draw an ongoing discussion. Hence the morph.
    I like this idea.

I totally DISAGREE!

It pretty much sounds like the political correctness craziness that is very fashionable nowadays. But for rational people it's plain just wrong.
    Seems silly to have two separate compliment threads. Why not just have one. It's not being politically correct. It's just a matter of streamlining and less clutter.

Seems silly to have two separate compliment threads. Why not just have one. It's not being politically correct. It's just a matter of streamlining and less clutter.
    Perhaps we can change the title to "Which scent gets you the most compliments/What scent did you receive a compliment on?"

That way both items are allowed and the thread will continue on the same trajectory

Have to admit that the way it was originally worded was my favorite section of the Site.
    If I am pressed for time I will at least click on this to find out which perfumer was able to create a love (or at least like) potion to stir the imagination/interest of a lovely lady.

Had a nice indirect compliment come in yesterday. I was in the checkout line for while getting a salad for lunch.
    Some lady said to the cashier while I was behind her "someone smells like cola and it's intoxicating!"

I was wearing Enigma Parfum Cologne. 2 shots to the check under my shirt about 3 hours after application. I alway thought this one was light but I guess not.

Basenotes Plus

I got an unsolicited compliment on first wearing from a lady talking to me from outside my car window in cold weather (picking up some food via curbside). Zara Vibrant Leather Warm. She wanted to know what I was wearing but had never heard of Zara. I told her they had stores in cities like Chicago and Orlando, to which she responded that it sounded expensive. Ha! I let her know it was more like an H&M Store and the prices were low.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sunny5011 View Post
    Had a nice indirect compliment come in yesterday. I was in the checkout line for while getting a salad for lunch.
    Some lady said to the cashier while I was behind her "someone smells like cola and it's intoxicating!"

I was wearing Enigma Parfum Cologne. 2 shots to the check under my shirt about 3 hours after application. I alway thought this one was light but I guess not.
    Yes! Roja scents are fantastic.

I got a compliment on Fragrance one Date

Hoping to try black tie soon.

Basenotes Junkie Alonewithcologne's Avatar

I totally DISAGREE!

It pretty much sounds like the political correctness craziness that is very fashionable nowadays. But for rational people it's plain wrong.
    This. What men think about a fragrance means something different than women. Both are important, but when in terms of dating, men's taste in fragrance is useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Alonewithcologne View Post
    This. What men think about a fragrance means something different than women. Both are important, but when in terms of dating, men's taste in fragrance is useless.
    Though I agree, it's so subjective that a list of fragrances people get compliments from women on does not mean that all women will enjoy that given fragrance, so it's no more useful for dating than those 'top 10 complimented fragrances' videos that all list the same scents. So why not just have a list of both? Besides, we already know what MANY of the fragrances are that the average woman likes. Fresh, clean, somewhat sweet are usually the top competitors. You probably won't see anything new.
    Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book, just turn the page.

"It smells really good, it's not Aventus though."

Basenotes Institution

Ombre Leather
    Gucci Intense Oud
    Aventus

Had the first date in a little while where I was punching above my weight, on Saturday just gone. One of those where you decide a couple of days in advance what you are going to wear clothes and scent wise. It was a nice meal at The Ivy (medium - high-end restaurant in the UK) in my city, I went with a black shirt tucked in, jeans and dark boots. The smarter end of smart casual was the order of the night. I'm 27, the woman is 30.

Now I've set the scene... I was originally planning to wear TF Ombre Leather, a scent that I was waiting on in the mail and would suit the outfit I'd picked perfectly. Has a decent projection and performance in my eyes so should last me the evening. Anyway... It didn't arrive in time.

I was about to go with AdG Profumo BUT I remembered I had a 3ml sample of Aqua Di Parma - Colonia Leather on my shelf that I'd NEVER tried, risky... Anyway, I went with 3 sprays to the chest, two to the neck and one behind each ear (YES I belong in the over sprayers lounge), and I added two sprays to my shirt in the lift on the way up to her flat which is where I met her.

As soon as she opened the door she commented 'oh you smell lovely'. Mission success... although that wasn't all. On the way to the taxi she commented positively on the scent again, and after a one spray re-application in the restroom of the restaurant (about 2 hours in), she commented on it again, all very positive... When I got home, I ordered 180ml of the stuff, what a find.

Hopefully, the story set the scene for you a bit with regards to compliments from a female, I think context helps.

TLDR; AdP - Colonia Leather got me 3+ compliments from a 10/10 on third date.