Code of Conduct

Default Perfumse as investment?

I read about old Guerlain perfume sold at auction for 45k euros (50k $)
    and i wanted to know your opinion on perfumes to collect as a future investment.
    Do perfumes have a future as "collector" items ?

Default Re: Perfumse as investment?

Others better versed in this than me may well weigh in, but I think that kind of score seems really rare. There must be more of a back story to it. There has to be some sort of pride of ownership involved with that GUERLAIN you mention....not something someone wants to wear.

I know there are more than a few people trying to cash in on guessing which discontinued scent may fetch a wee bit of premium in the near term. But we are not talking thousands or even hundreds.

I see tins of RIVE GAUCHE POUR HOMME listed at around $500 (original cost appx $80). BUT, that doesn't mean anyone is consistently coughing up that $500 requested price. As with anything collectable, like baseball cards, there is always this inflated "value" assigned, but a seller may never get that assigned value in the real world.

I have several discontinued CREEDS that probably have a slightly inflated value but nothing remotely approaching the the amounts you describe. I've had them 25 years and maybe they are worth double what I paid.

As investments go, perfume is probably a really lousy one. It is "art" in one way of looking at it, but it would be horrifically hard to predict something that would fetch a very high price years into the future. Plus, you also have to deal with the possibility the fragrance goes "off" after many years.

Most people looking at vintage perfumes are looking for something they want to wear, not just to collect and own like a painting.

I'd be curious to know what the most anyone here ever paid for a vintage bottle of anything...would guess max would be around $500-$600 US.
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.

Ok so had to look it up. The GUERLAIN bottle you mention was from 1870. Not positive, but don't think it had any perfume in it, its value was primarily for the bottle itself I believe. So it's a 120 year old antique really.

So in 2071, an AVENTUS bottle might be worth some serious cash...
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.

another dupe post

Basenotes Plus

Yup, I agree it’s generally a poor investment though ALD bottle owners might beg to differ. Appreciation is not guaranteed. Small collectors market, so it’s harder to liquidate. And unlike paintings you don’t know exactly how rare a bottle of fragrance is and assessing quality is fraught with subjectivity unless the bottle retains its original seal intact.

What's the point in collecting vintages or rare fragrances if you're not going to use them? Yes, some of them may increase in value over time, but it's just sitting there somewhere in a cabinet and that's about it. The Guerlain bottle in question is from 1870 so I can understand it's nearly a one of a kind product, but unless you got a rare bottle somewhere for cheap (like some people find hidden gems at garage sales), with the intention to sell it for a profit later on, I don't see the need to use perfumes as an investment. Besides, people who can fork out 50k for a single bottle have different interests than just smelling and wearing perfumes anyway I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Hoover View Post
    What's the point in collecting vintages or rare fragrances if you're not going to use them? Yes, some of them may increase in value over time, but it's just sitting there somewhere in a cabinet and that's about it. The Guerlain bottle in question is from 1870 so I can understand it's nearly a one of a kind product, but unless you got a rare bottle somewhere for cheap (like some people find hidden gems at garage sales), with the intention to sell it for a profit later on, I don't see the need to use perfumes as an investment. Besides, people who can fork out 50k for a single bottle have different interests than just smelling and wearing perfumes anyway I believe.
    It is interesting to observe how fragrances change over time.

I have bought and sold hundreds of fragrances over the last decade and I can attest to the fact that in general, fragrance values tend to rise.
    As StylinLA mentioned though, nothing like the Guerlain you referenced. Most of what I sold that increased in value were mostly 3x original investment, and rarely 4x or 5x. Also, nothing beyond the $600 mark so far.

So, as an investment, it really depends on your investment goals. I do it because I am curious about what a certain fragrance smells like, I wear it and enjoy it and then I offload it to continue to finance my hobby.
    Waiting for Hednic's 8th star

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Akragas View Post
    I read about old Guerlain perfume sold at auction for 45k euros (50k $)
    and i wanted to know your opinion on perfumes to collect as a future investment.
    Personally I wouldn't consider perfumes to be worth including in an investment portfolio.

Basenotes Institution

That may be an investment for some, but not me. I'm wearing it

Blog Entries

Some bottles have a value, that's for sure, but whether the juice is going to be sought after in future times is another question.
    If you wanted to invest, I would say buy empty vintage bottles, especially in nice packaging.
    The other area would be rare and sought after things, like buying Nombre Noir mini's for a couple of Euro's for example... that's worth the effort, but you have to put a lot of time and effort into finding the stuff, knowing what to buy and then knowing how to look after it when you get it home.
    Being a vintage fan, I believe (hope) there will be a collectors market for the perfume itself, but it's never going to be like paintings or even wine. Paintings can last almost indefinitely, and fine wine improves with age (up to a certain limit I suppose) but perfume goes off in the end.
    Not many people will be interesting in buying some brown sludge at the bottom of the bottle, no matter what the label says. You may as well rince it away and flog the glassware alone. (But never pour away good juice, you can decant it and wear it or sell it separately. I'm not suggesting vandalising our heritage ...)
    Perfume could be a short to medium term venture, but I wouldn't rely on it for your retirement.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Akragas View Post
    IMO - yes
    Last edited by hednic; 27th November 2020 at 07:52 PM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

a bottle with a quirk from the production line, i.e. a Tom Ford with the label name upside down or a Chanel with a misspelling -- these could prove valuable

Wearing Perfume Right Now

I can convince myself to buy bottles if they could be a good investment, but then I start using them a lot.

If/when I decide to sell them, I'll try to market having used half a bottle as a positive.

If I can market it well enough, I'll sell off the lot to a "scalper."

If you need investment tip, invest in Tesla stocks.
    Invest in rare one of a kind cars, Lotus is releasing a few one of a kind cars that will always have value.

Perfumes have been great because naturals were used widely and no restrictions as we see them now.
    There are plenty old guerlains on web from beginning of the 1900 that just sit there, cuz no one is willing to pay that price, and people who can pay - they just have perfume custom made for them.

The only investment I see is acquiring backups at subjective good deals mainly for regular wearing for long term in particular original formulations.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

I only buy a lot of backup bottles of particular fragrances, when I get a batch I really like.
    There are many, which aren't produced anymore or were reformulated.
    So I could sell many of them with a profit and that's perfectly fine.

Btw: Ultra Male is probably going to be discontinued, too. So buy some bottles right now, wait 50 years, then sell them!

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    The only investment I see is acquiring backups at subjective good deals mainly for regular wearing for long term in particular original formulations.
    That is what I'd call an investment in yourself, as you will be smelling great for a very, very long time.

Lots of good comments here.

But I do want to repeat that as far as I can tell, that GUERLAIN bottle sold at auction based on the bottle. I find no mentions in the stories about the perfume itself. There were several other old bottles sold at same auction.

Most people here are all about the juice, not the container.

If you keep a bottle of A*MEN for 120 years, will it retain its scent at all?

All Is Beautiful

They are very liquid investments...

FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

There is certainly a feasible possibility regarding the value (and the possible value increase, ROI etc.) of certain specific perfumes.
    However here are likely too many variables as well as fixed costs/required amount of work, research etc. like authenticity, storage, reliable sellers but also customers, possible insurance, taxation and so on before fragrance investing/investments may become even remotely profitable.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Most people here are all about the juice, not the container.
    Invest in smelling good - and sell the empties (if you can).