Code of Conduct

Thread: Xmas Gift

Default Xmas Gift

My wife always buys me a scent for Xmas. She has asked me what I would like this year.

As I have said in this forum... I have yet to find the one.

I have 15ml left of a 30ml bottle of New York Intense left. I like it a lot - but it is not a silage monster on me. It is very much a skin scent. My wife is agnostic about it. She much prefers Aventus or Masculin Pluriel on me.

I have a ďBlind buyĒ 30ml of Patchouli intense arriving next week.

I am tossing between getting my wife to order a 100ml bottle of NYI with an another 30ml of PI free (if ordered by Monday) direct from Nicolai. Or should I get 100ml of PI with 30 ml of NYI?

I will not have received the 30ml before the deadline she would need to order a 100ml with the 30ml gift.

Or should I get a bottle of Creed Viking. As mentioned she likes Aventus and also GIT.

Any thoughts on a long lasting, reasonably strong, sophisticated scent for late forties man.

I have promised myself that 2021 will the year of slowing down my purchases

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dependent

Default Re: Xmas Gift

Is sillage important to you?

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bķzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by pouring View Post
    I am tossing between getting my wife to order a 100ml bottle of NYI with an another 30ml of PI free (if ordered by Monday) direct from Nicolai.
    I'd go this route.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    Is sillage important to you?
    Yes. I want it noticeable

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I'd go this route.
    Thanks

I like the NEW YORK INTENSE for sure. It's a rock solid scent for a guy your age.

The PATCHOULI INTENSE is great, nicely blended scent like NY but it sounds like you haven't tried it yet.

It is not for everybody. I have 130+ scents and I think that it is the most potent thing I own. That strength kind of limits its use to me. I wish NY had a little more of PATCHOULI INTENSE'S strength.
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    I like the NEW YORK INTENSE for sure. It's a rock solid scent for a guy your age.

The PATCHOULI INTENSE is great, nicely blended scent like NY but it sounds like you haven't tried it yet.

It is not for everybody. I have 130+ scents and I think that it is the most potent thing I own. That strength kind of limits its use to me. I wish NY had a little more of PATCHOULI INTENSE'S strength.
    I am really surprised by how subtle NYI is for an intense. My wife, who admittedly just indulges my hobby, says ďitís just not as strong as your other bottlesĒ

I found Masculin Pluriel (an Edt) projects more on me!!

I have not tried it PI yet. Hoping it will be here mid next week.

Thanks for advice

I like NYI a lot but I canít wear it all the time. Iíve burned through a little over half my 30ml bottle. Iíve also considered getting a 100ml. Nicolaiís presentation in the larger bottles is impeccable. But you also have to consider that 100ml of NYI is enough to embalm yourself in. So I recently picked up another 30ml bottle of the NYI.

I tried PI once in a store and was not impressed so I never looked back. Way too strong for my likes.

My suggestion therefore is to save your money and get either another 30ml of NYI or a 100ml which will last a lifetime. Donít blind but PI unless you can afford the disappointment afterwards.

I am really surprised by how subtle NYI is for an intense. My wife, who admittedly just indulges my hobby, says “it’s just not as strong as your other bottles”

I found Masculin Pluriel (an Edt) projects more on me!!

I have not tried it PI yet. Hoping it will be here mid next week.

Thanks for advice

On me, NYI is strong for about four hours, then tones down.

Suggest you don't make the purchase until you try PI...I think you will be surprised by its punch. It also may not be what you expect based on its name...(it wasn't for me).

Let us know what you think.
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    I like NYI a lot but I canít wear it all the time. Iíve burned through a little over half my 30ml bottle. Iíve also considered getting a 100ml. Nicolaiís presentation in the larger bottles is impeccable. But you also have to consider that 100ml of NYI is enough to embalm yourself in. So I recently picked up another 30ml bottle of the NYI.

I tried PI once in a store and was not impressed so I never looked back. Way too strong for my likes.

My suggestion therefore is to save your money and get either another 30ml of NYI or a 100ml which will last a lifetime. Donít blind but PI unless you can afford the disappointment afterwards.
    I have a 30ml coming next week bought blind!

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    On me, NYI is strong for about four hours, then tones down.

Suggest you don't make the purchase until you try PI...I think you will be surprised by its punch. It also may not be what you expect based on its name...(it wasn't for me).

Let us know what you think.
    I will Stylin... thanks you

Maybe a bit against the grain, also adding Viking to possible future Xmas purchase list.
    Even if the purchase is already made for another fragrance, still considering this Creed scent as a decent second option as a sophisticated age appropriate choice with enough sillage.
    Currently wearing: Open by Roger & Gallet

Definitely get your nose on Creed Royal Oud if you haven’t already.

I am tossing between getting my wife to order a 100ml bottle of NYI with an another 30ml of PI free (if ordered by Monday) direct from Nicolai.
    Excellent plan!
    Currently wearing: Pasha Parfum by Cartier

Any thoughts on a long lasting, reasonably strong, sophisticated scent for late forties man.
    Amouage Interlude Black Iris, you will thank me, later!
    FREE AS THE WIND!

Quote Originally Posted by Francolino View Post
    Amouage Interlude Black Iris, you will thank me, later!
    The notes look lovely....

Basenotes Institution

Viking

Chanel Antaeus
    Lutens Muscs Koublai Khan
    I donít understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.

Fille en Aiguilles by Serge Lutens
    Currently wearing: Eucris by Geo F Trumper