Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Basenotes Plus

Default The Eyewear Thread

I am starting this discussion thread for anyone interested in eyewear - eyeglasses, sunglasses, or otherwise. Do you wear eyeglasses? Do you have a signature look, or do you prefer rotating through a collection? Please use this space to discuss some of your favorite brands, share images, ask eyewear related questions, or share anything that interests you!

- - - Updated - - -

As someone interested in unique and high quality craftsmanship, I was very interested when I discovered the house of Jacques Marie Mage. The frames are designed in Los Angeles, CA and handcrafted in Japan with premium materials. It is an independent brand specializing in the microproduction of luxury eyewear. I was lucky enough - early this year - to acquire an interesting pair of sunglasses (which I shared on another thread). I find most JMM designs to be quite interesting, and I actually just recently purchased my first pair of eyeglasses from him!

As I am mildly nearsighted, eyeglasses have always been a help to me, but I've gone without wearing them most of the time because I never cared for the look. I guess I learned that I just needed to find something that I love wearing. If anyone is interested in niche/ independent eyewear companies, I would recommend looking at JMM frames. They tend to be a bit bold, working with rather chunky blocks of Japanese zyl acetate. They also have frames made from titanium or precious metals. My particular frame has gold hardware accenting the acetate. I'm very excited to start wearing these every day, and I might just end up wanting a little collection to rotate through in the future! Here is a pic:

2_Pelagius_Dark_Havana_RX_3-4.jpg

This model is called the Pelagius, and mine is numbered 57 / 450 (there are 450 produced in the world). I think that everything he makes is limited edition, ranging from 50 to 500 pieces. You can certainly feel and see the quality, and above all else, I love the distinct look. Now I can't wait to get my lenses installed...

Default Re: The Eyewear Thread

I have two pairs of standard prescription glasses (one tortoiseshell, one a kind of striated green), and two pairs of prescription sunglasses (one a kind of clubmaster with green lenses, the others tortoiseshell with round green lenses).

I don't spend a fortune on frames. I'm hard on my glasses. I get most of my glasses through EyeBuyDirect.

Basenotes Plus

I have another pair of Bulova glasses that are metal, which I keep in the car. I don't care for the look too much, but I plan to hold on to them (though my prescription may be slightly outdated) so that I have something I can beat up on a little more if necessary. I definitely want to start considering prescription sunglasses in the future. My eyes are light and quite sensitive.

- - - Updated - - -

Was hoping this thread would catch on more than it did. Anyone else care to share what kind of frames they wear?

I just got my prescription updated (since 4 years ago!) and new lenses put in yesterday. Excited to wear these frames every day, now! Not excited about my credit card, but being unique has a cost...

I would like to get some Tom Ford frames on my next set of prescription glasses.
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    I would like to get some Tom Ford frames on my next set of prescription glasses.
    He makes some pretty good looking frames. Tom Ford glasses just come across as "smart" to me. Any models you're looking at?

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    I have another pair of Bulova glasses that are metal, which I keep in the car. I don't care for the look too much, but I plan to hold on to them (though my prescription may be slightly outdated) so that I have something I can beat up on a little more if necessary. I definitely want to start considering prescription sunglasses in the future. My eyes are light and quite sensitive.

- - - Updated - - -

Was hoping this thread would catch on more than it did. Anyone else care to share what kind of frames they wear?

I just got my prescription updated (since 4 years ago!) and new lenses put in yesterday. Excited to wear these frames every day, now! Not excited about my credit card, but being unique has a cost...
    I want to get myself a pair of brown horn rimmed glasses even though I don't need glasses. My vision isn't perfect but not in need to perscription glasses. I would feel kind of silly wearing glasses just for the 'look'.
    I am hoping to get myself a few new pair of sunglasses sometime early next year. Maybe some Tom Ford or I'll just settle for RayBan.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    I want to get myself a pair of brown horn rimmed glasses even though I don't need glasses. My vision isn't perfect but not in need to perscription glasses. I would feel kind of silly wearing glasses just for the 'look'.
    I am hoping to get myself a few new pair of sunglasses sometime early next year. Maybe some Tom Ford or I'll just settle for RayBan.
    Tom Ford makes some higher-end options made from genuine horn. Cartier also has some very fine options. IMO, nothing wrong with wearing frames for fashion purposes. I have a weak prescription, but they do make a considerable difference for me. Would you consider a niche, independent eyewear company instead, like Mykita, Dita, JMM, etc.?

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I wear a pair of Cartier Santos Aviator Sunglasses like the ones below which I often wear and love.

Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I wear a pair of Cartier Santos Aviator Sunglasses like the ones below which I often wear and love.

Classic.

If you don't mind me asking, how long have you had them?

Classic.

If you don't mind me asking, how long have you had them?
    For a few years.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

For a few years.
    How is the quality compared to other glasses/sunglasses that you have owned?

Tom Ford makes some higher-end options made from genuine horn. Cartier also has some very fine options. IMO, nothing wrong with wearing frames for fashion purposes. I have a weak prescription, but they do make a considerable difference for me. Would you consider a niche, independent eyewear company instead, like Mykita, Dita, JMM, etc.?
    I'm not willing to go much over $100.....maybe $150. So I don't know for sure what's in my budget.

How is the quality compared to other glasses/sunglasses that you have owned?
    Quality is exceptional. Exactly what one would expect from Cartier.

Basenotes Plus

I'm not willing to go much over $100.....maybe $150. So I don't know for sure what's in my budget.
    Many of Tom Ford's frames (not horn) can be found at discounters for near $150, despite most of them starting around $400 at retail. RayBans, I believe, can be found at discounters or on sale for less than $100.

It might be fun to go to an eyewear store and try on a bunch of styles that stand out to you, paying no attention to price, just to get some ideas about what styles you like and suit you. I find that with eyewear, you have to try them on your face to see what works.

- - - Updated - - -

Quality is exceptional. Exactly what one would expect from Cartier.
    In the future I'd love to own a pair of Cartiers - probably something similar to your model. It has a classic yet timeless look. They are quite costly for me, but certainly something to aspire to.

In the future I'd love to own a pair of Cartiers - probably something similar to your model. It has a classic yet timeless look. They are quite costly for me, but certainly something to aspire to.
    Based on the recent photo you posted in the other thread, they would look very good on you.

Basenotes Plus

Based on the recent photo you posted in the other thread, they would look very good on you.
    Thank you!

Many of Tom Ford's frames (not horn) can be found at discounters for near $150, despite most of them starting around $400 at retail. RayBans, I believe, can be found at discounters or on sale for less than $100.
    Yep. My local Nordstrom Rack often carries TF frames but the selection isn't great.

Basenotes Plus

Yep. My local Nordstrom Rack often carries TF frames but the selection isn't great.
    Much can be found online, but then you can't try them on first. Amazon has a number of TF glasses and they have a good return policy.

Amazon, I'm always wary of fakes. I usually avoid.

Basenotes Plus

Amazon, I'm always wary of fakes. I usually avoid.
    Anything sold by or shipped from Amazon I generally just assume to be legitimate. Fortunately, I haven't had any issues with authenticity so far from Amazon purchases. I have purchased 2 or 3 pairs of sunglasses on the site, one of which being a Tom Ford frame.

Anything sold by or shipped from Amazon I generally just assume to be legitimate. Fortunately, I haven't had any issues with authenticity so far from Amazon purchases. I have purchased 2 or 3 pairs of sunglasses on the site, one of which being a Tom Ford frame.
    I have seen sellers on there that I would absolutely never buy from but it's probably safer than WISH! LOL

Basenotes Plus

I have seen sellers on there that I would absolutely never buy from but it's probably safer than WISH! LOL
    No doubt about that...

Missing Oakmoss

I've worn glasses for 60 years, and by far the best looking, best made, sturdiest frames I've ever had are from the French company, Face-a-Face. The only reason I ever get new frames is when I want a different look, but I always stick with Face-a-Face - they have a fabulous selection and are always adding new styles. Expensive, but worth it. https://www.faceaface-paris.com

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    I've worn glasses for 60 years, and by far the best looking, best made, sturdiest frames I've ever had are from the French company, Face-a-Face. The only reason I ever get new frames is when I want a different look, but I always stick with Face-a-Face - they have a fabulous selection and are always adding new styles. Expensive, but worth it. https://www.faceaface-paris.com
    Those look very interesting! I'll consider some of their pieces for my next pair (which won't be for a while). A couple of optometries that are authorized dealers are relatively close to my home; perhaps if I am in the area, I'll drop by and take a look at some of these frames in person.

I like my Ted Baker frames. They're like an olive green tortiseshell.

Basenotes Plus

Hey, hednic, I was looking for new glasses yesterday and I tried on some Santos de Cartier aviators similar to the model that you have. I was very excited to try them on and even had the shop - a niche and luxury eyewear store, not a Cartier boutique - put them on hold for me as they are apparently hard to find in the time of COVID. Much to my surprise, I wasn't sold about the look and how the proportions of the frames fit on my face. Don't get me wrong - they are beautiful glasses, but I'm afraid they aren't for me.

Instead, however, I found another pair of optical glasses by Cartier. They looked timeless and elegant (in my opinion) and were just perfect for for me. They are a square half-frame (the lower half of the lens is not covered by frame) in 22k yellow gold, featuring Cartier's signature inscribed on the temples and their famous screws decorating the front. The arms are a very dark wood, close to black it appears. I actually might like their woods more than their buffalo horn simply because it has an understated elegance.

For some reason, I couldn't find any pictures online of the exact model I purchased; I wonder if perhaps they are either limited edition or a newer release. In any case, I'm extremely excited to get my glasses back from the lab and I will post a picture here when available. I went in looking for Cartier sunglasses but ended up getting eyeglasses with prescription transition lenses. They are much costlier than any pair of glasses I ever thought I'd own, but certainly an investment piece to wear throughout the decades.

Are you a fan of Cartier eyeglasses? I'd be interested in hearing your opinion when I post a picture of them.

My current daily wear are Moscot Kelev transitions, I have a couple of other pairs that I should be rotating into the mix but it’s been entirely Moscot for months now.

I previously had a Tom Ford frame which i really liked but despite my careful handling, one of the arms snapped off. Was looking at some Prada frames but decided to move on to brands who focus primarily on eye wear.

For straight up sunglasses I have Oakley iridium; total meathead sunglasses and I totally don’t care haha!
    "I drank what?" -Socrates
    Currently wearing: Oud Minérale by Tom Ford

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Beast View Post
    My current daily wear are Moscot Kelev transitions, I have a couple of other pairs that I should be rotating into the mix but it’s been entirely Moscot for months now.

I previously had a Tom Ford frame which i really liked but despite my careful handling, one of the arms snapped off. Was looking at some Prada frames but decided to move on to brands who focus primarily on eye wear.

For straight up sunglasses I have Oakley iridium; total meathead sunglasses and I totally don’t care haha!
    I like the look of those Moscots. What other types of glasses do you have that you haven't been reaching for lately?

I like the look of those Moscots. What other types of glasses do you have that you haven't been reaching for lately?
    The other two are small boutique brands, one from Poland one from France. I’ll have to check on the names, but neither are ones I’ve heard before I bought ‘em.
    "I drank what?" -Socrates
    Currently wearing: Oud Minérale by Tom Ford

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Beast View Post
    The other two are small boutique brands, one from Poland one from France. I’ll have to check on the names, but neither are ones I’ve heard before I bought ‘em.
    Sounds interesting. Do let us know.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast