Code of Conduct

Default How is Silver Mountain Water in 2020?

I have only owned a half decant of Original Vetiver from the Creed line

GF hates Green Irish Tweed and Aventus

I haven’t tried Millesime Imperial in ages

This (SMW) might be the one for me in 2020

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: How is Silver Mountain Water in 2020?

IMO it's fine.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    IMO it's fine.
    Does it still smell like the original formulation?

It does to me. I like it now but didn't use to care for it.

But I will throw this out - it was suggested to me by another Basenoter.

XERJOFF MEFISTO smells a lot like it and has to me much better longevity.

MEFISTO does not have the metallic and "inky" notes though. It's more like SMW after the drydown. Clean, slightly floral, musky.
    I sometimes layer the two to get the SMW open and the longevity from MEFISTO.
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I recently bought a carded sample. It smells great and is very long lasting. I hate to talk about things like how many sprays since it's a sample sprayer & it's hard to equate that to the amount of juice a sprayer on a bottle puts out - especially a Creed sprayer - but it sure seems to me like the performance is top notch.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Royal Oud
    APOM
    Endymion
    Petit Matin
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Reflection Man
    Tabac Rouge
    Green Irish Tweed
    Interlude Man
    Chanel Eau De Cologne
    Aqua Celestia
    Pomelo Paradis
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    Aqua Universalis
    Terre d'Hermes
    "Live in the moment. Never count on longevity." --Yeasayer
    Currently wearing: Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post

MEFISTO does not have the metallic and "inky" notes though. It's more like SMW after the drydown. Clean, slightly floral, musky.
    Mefisto is a much better alternative to the current SMW.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

It does to me. I like it now but didn't use to care for it.

But I will throw this out - it was suggested to me by another Basenoter.

Is xerjoff at the same price point as creed?

Quote Originally Posted by mistersmellgood View Post
    Is xerjoff at the same price point as creed?
    Depends on where you get it. They are probably roughly about the same. Do some online research.

Not sure which stores/online is available where you live. You can get MEFISTO in 30ml.
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.

Depends on where you get it. They are probably roughly about the same. Do some online research.

Not sure which stores/online is available where you live. You can get MEFISTO in 30ml.
    I will get them at retail since I want to try them and don’t trust online sellers in my country

Upon some research we have xerjoffs but no mefisto

Will keep it mind though when this covid thing clears and I can travel to better perfume shopping cities thanks

Will keep it mind though when this covid thing clears and I can travel to better perfume shopping cities thanks
    Since we're talking about SMW alternatives, there are others to mention as well. Xerjoff Mefisto is unquestionably the best if you really want this smell, as it is noticeably the smoothest of the bunch and does not have the annoying aspects of the Creed.

Since you're having difficulty finding Mefisto in your country, there are 2 other SMW "clones" that might be easier to find. These include....

Montale Boise Fruite (which I would personally still rate ahead of SMW).

Bond No. 9 Hamptons (which I would personally rate just behind SMW).

One other alternate is also mentioned when talking about SMW-like fragrances, and that is something that is extremely cheap called Al Rehab Silver. It's cheap, but there's no doubt that it smells like SMW.

I love StylinLA's point that you can buy the Xerjoff Mefisto in a 30 ml bottle. If I could go back and buy all my 200+ fragrances in that size, I would probably do it.
    Basenotes sales: TDC de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/472...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    I love StylinLA's point that you can buy the Xerjoff Mefisto in a 30 ml bottle. If I could go back and buy all my 200+ fragrances in that size, I would probably do it.

I know, right?

I have appx 135 bottles. If they were available in 30ml, probably 100 would be in 30ml...

I swear if someone makes a 30ml bottle, the odds I might buy it go up at least 50%.

I wish XERJOFF made more in 30ml. They are pretty selective about it. I've slowed down a lot and only pounced on MEFISTO cause it was in 30ml.

I wish XERJOFF made more in 30ml. They are pretty selective about it. I've slowed down a lot and only pounced on MEFISTO cause it was in 30ml.
    I did the same except my Mefisto bottle is only 13 ml that came as part of a Discovery set. And frankly, it's MORE than enough!
    Basenotes sales: TDC de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/472...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

I will get them at retail since I want to try them and don’t trust online sellers in my country

At full retail in US:

SILVER MOUNTAIN WATER 100ml $415US 50ml $310US
    MEFISTO 100ML $290US 30ML $105US

I strongly advocate MEFISTO, but you should really sniff for yourself. SMW has some distinctive metallic and ink notes you may really like.
    But MEFISTO is much longer lasting on me.

I believe SMW is one of the safe Creed fragrances from huge variations every time I bought a decant various batches they have all been solid and smelled about the same and perform nicely.
    Currently wearing: Hawas for Men by Rasasi

There's something that a lot of people don't know about Silver Mountain Water (and others like it). Just because of the way it smells, people naturally assume that's it's limited to being a warm weather scent.

But the truth is, SMW performs amazingly well in cold weather, and I'm talking even freezing weather. Something about the cold really brings the smell out.

But the truth is, SMW performs amazingly well in cold weather, and I'm talking even freezing weather. Something about the cold really brings the smell out.
    I can see it being good in cold...but in Los Angeles, 52 fahrenheit is the "dead of winter."

Since we're talking about SMW alternatives, there are others to mention as well. Xerjoff Mefisto is unquestionably the best if you really want this smell, as it is noticeably the smoothest of the bunch and does not have the annoying aspects of the Creed.

Since you're having difficulty finding Mefisto in your country, there are 2 other SMW "clones" that might be easier to find. These include....

Montale Boise Fruite (which I would personally still rate ahead of SMW).

Bond No. 9 Hamptons (which I would personally rate just behind SMW).

One other alternate is also mentioned when talking about SMW-like fragrances, and that is something that is extremely cheap called Al Rehab Silver. It's cheap, but there's no doubt that it smells like SMW.

I have also heard of Ajmal Silver Shade as a clone but when I went to Ajmal in India they didn’t have it

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Mefisto is a much better alternative to the current SMW.
    I agree