Code of Conduct

Default Fougere Royale vs Masculin Pluriel

Which do you think is better? Struggle to decide which to get first, as I will buy full bottles of both eventually...

Blog Entries

Default Re: Fougere Royale vs Masculin Pluriel

I would get Masculine Pluriel because it wears more evenly through the day, but smell wise its a matter of personal preference
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator
    Currently wearing: Attar by Montale

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by ccdan View Post
    Which do you think is better? Struggle to decide which to get first, as I will buy full bottles of both eventually...
    A very tough question, as both are excellent fragrances, arguably masterpieces. I'd give the edge to Masculin Pluriel as it is more modern smelling and versatile to me.

It's a no brainer to me - Fougere Royale wins hands down. And this coming from an MFK fan. MP is one of his most disappointingly mainstream scents.

I remember Masculin Pluriel to be a bit lighter/modern.

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    It's a no brainer to me - Fougere Royale wins hands down. And this coming from an MFK fan. MP is one of his most disappointingly mainstream scents.
    Same here with Fougere Royale
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Basenotes Plus

Default Fougere Royale vs Masculin Pluriel

Quote Originally Posted by ccdan View Post
    Since you will be getting full bottles of each, it’s irrelevant which one you get first. Unless you have a specific event coming up and you want whichever suits that best?

I own bottles of both the new (2010) release of FR and MP. I think neither is better than the other as they are different enough for me to not really compare them to each other. I love each for their own assets, when I’m looking for those assets. Amber versus lavender. Which do you prefer because that’s really what this choice boils down to? FR is an easy and smooth, yet dense ( cause of the tonka bean and patchouli combo), fragrance with a dominant amber note which is softened enough for the mainstream buyer to enjoy. MP is a searing lavender which is trying to be quieted by patchouli and woods, and a distant touch of leather. So it’s smooth amber versus bracing lavender. Which one I reach for depends on my mood. If my wife is choosing between the two, she prefers Masculin Pluriel.
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

Basenotes Plus

Fougere Royale is miles ahead of Masculin Puriel in every aspect IMO

For me, Pluriel is the best fragrance MFK has created

I found FR to be a bit 'shouty'. I can't imagine the original was anything like this version.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    For me, Pluriel is the best fragrance MFK has created

I found FR to be a bit 'shouty'. I can't imagine the original was anything like this version.
    You’re correct. The original FR was a traditional fougere that actually used fern. The exceptional Ere by PK Perfumes is closer to the original FR than the 2010 release could ever hope to be.
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

Masculin Pluriel. It's not the most interesting scent Kurkdjian has created, but regarding ''nugeres'' it's one of the better ones.

Between the two, I'd choose the FR. And while nice, there was something with MP that didn't click with me.

That said, I don't own either...

Quote Originally Posted by KBF1972 View Post
    Fougere Royale is miles ahead of Masculin Puriel in every aspect IMO
    Agreed.

I have owned both. I sold FR and kept MP. FR just didn't do anything for me.
    Current Top 10:
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    MFK Baccarat Rouge 540
    Creed Royal Oud
    Armani Prive Myrrhe Imperiale
    Amouage Jubilation XXV
    MFK Grand Soir
    Roja Dove Elysium Cologne
    MDCI Invasion Barbare
    Creed Viking
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais
    Currently wearing: XJ 1861 Naxos by Xerjoff

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Own and love them both but prefer Fougere Rpyale
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Also adding a personal vote, based on additional preference (s) for Fougere Royale out of the two
    Currently wearing: White Tag by Zara

Personal choice would be Masculin Pluriel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like both, but would go with Fougere Royale pretty easily. Sampled both extensively and bought FR myself. Depends on what you're after, though.

FR was pretty clearly modernized vs what vintage must have been, but still retains a classic sort of vibe with a bright citrus opening and straightforward base fougere accord.

Masculin Pluriel is drier, softer, sweeter, more abstract and modern. Very "buffed and polished" (like most MFKs) and for that reason a little ho-hum for me, though it does smell very nice. I think Kurkdijan did a better aromatic modern fougere in Carven L'Eau Intense.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: No. 5 by Chanel

Masculin Pluriel for me.
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

I have not tried MASCULINE PLURIEL but by most accounts it seems to be a sort of modernized take on a fougere.

I do have FOUGERE ROYALE and love it. It does strike me a pretty traditional masculine...i.e. leans "mature." But not creepy old guy mature.

Big props to younger guys who rock FOUGERE ROYALE from me.
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.

Off topic, but Amouage Bracken Man fits in here with these two.
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Like both, but would go with Fougere Royale pretty easily. Sampled both extensively and bought FR myself. Depends on what you're after, though.

FR was pretty clearly modernized vs what vintage must have been, but still retains a classic sort of vibe with a bright citrus opening and straightforward base fougere accord.

Masculin Pluriel is drier, softer, sweeter, more abstract and modern. Very "buffed and polished" (like most MFKs) and for that reason a little ho-hum for me, though it does smell very nice. I think Kurkdijan did a better aromatic modern fougere in Carven L'Eau Intense.
    Agreed on all points.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Off topic, but Amouage Bracken Man fits in here with these two.
    Not off topic at all and agree with you. It's very much related.

Dependent

IMO, Fougere Royale is heads and shoulders above Masculin Pluriel

Fougere Royale imo
    Currently wearing: Gigli Man by Romeo Gigli

Thanks for sharing you opinions.

I got the Pluriel first due to a good deal. I'm slightly disappointed... although I kinda knew performance was not stellar, I had only tested it from a sample, hoping that a larger quantity from a big sprayer would have decent performance... It just doesn't happen... even with 5 big sprays both on clothes and on skin, projection is very modest.. but I like the smell so I'll keep it... hope to get the other one soon...
    Last edited by ccdan; 15th December 2020 at 05:03 PM.

Fougere Royale by miles

MFK MP I like the leather touch and the lavender note, but the performance sucks. FR is also good, but in the same genre I prefer Bracken man as mentioned before
    Currently wearing: Eau d'Hermès by Hermès

Dependent

Seems like I was one of the few who chose MP. I guess FR is held in high regard by the Basenotes community. Bit like I said, you really can't go wrong with either.