Code of Conduct
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: USPS Anxiety

Missing Oakmoss

Default Re: USPS Anxiety

Chuck, that's awful. I've read that at the turn of the 20th century in big cities like Chicago, mail was delivered up to 6 times a day by postal carriers on bicycle. Today's USPS is indeed a joke.

Still having problems here, too, waiting for an order shipped 2 weeks ago by First Class mail, and no tracking info except that it's "moving within the system."

I’m not old, I’m vintage.

DeJoy is a dreadful PG, no doubt angling to privatize the USPS as a way of “saving” it, but the crises to which he’s responding (or not)—COVID-19, extreme weather, budget shortfalls—are still real and not of his making. USPS needs additional funding beyond a mere rate hike, not cost-cutting at the expense of service. The solutions lie not in his office, but with Congress.
    Currently wearing: Yram by Mary Chess

Missing Oakmoss

I'm getting really worried about the fate of a vintage Apres l'Ondée EDT that was shipped by 3-day Priority Mail two weeks ago. There's been no tracking since it arrived in Southaven MS last week. The post office will say only that it "will arrive later than expected, but is still moving within the system." This is a delicate fragrance under any circumstances, but heaven only knows what extremes of temperature it's been exposed to, and the rough handling it's received. If this were August, I'd really be sweating bullets - hope the cold doesn't damage it, but who knows? I'll file a claim if it doesn't arrive next week. And De Joy says that we should "get used to him."

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    I'm getting really worried about the fate of a vintage Apres l'Ondée EDT that was shipped by 3-day Priority Mail two weeks ago. There's been no tracking since it arrived in Southaven MS last week. The post office will say only that it "will arrive later than expected, but is still moving within the system." This is a delicate fragrance under any circumstances, but heaven only knows what extremes of temperature it's been exposed to, and the rough handling it's received. If this were August, I'd really be sweating bullets - hope the cold doesn't damage it, but who knows? I'll file a claim if it doesn't arrive next week. And De Joy says that we should "get used to him."
    I had a Fedex parcel stuck for 5-6 days in Southaven last week, and that needed 2+weeks to go from NJ to IL. This is not only USPS. The extreme weather hit hard.

Not to say that USPS doesnt need improvement and that De Joy is a great ( quite the opposite actually, I agree). But for that it needs money (and De Joy fired). Unfortunately who usually complains about public services are the same people who refuse tax increases or do their best to evade them (sorry... optimize I meant). The same also who complain about covid lockdown and masks, but later refuse to get vaccinated... sad story that repeats on and on, but unfortunately stupid cant be fixed.

A the opposite I received a non-tracked small parcel from France posted with old-school stamps, using the basic French postal service and USPS (at the reception end), and it took only... 7 days. Also, I havent had any delays with USPS the week before Xmas, so I dont think it's so terrible. Still, a bad experience can happen.

Missing Oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by Andy the frenchy View Post
    I had a Fedex parcel stuck for 5-6 days in Southaven last week, and that needed 2+weeks to go from NJ to IL. This is not only USPS. The extreme weather hit hard.

Not to say that USPS doesnt need improvement and that De Joy is a great ( quite the opposite actually, I agree). But for that it needs money (and De Joy fired). Unfortunately who usually complains about public services are the same people who refuse tax increases or do their best to evade them (sorry... optimize I meant). The same also who complain about covid lockdown and masks, but later refuse to get vaccinated... sad story that repeats on and on, but unfortunately stupid cant be fixed.

A the opposite I received a non-tracked small parcel from France posted with old-school stamps, using the basic French postal service and USPS (at the reception end), and it took only... 7 days. Also, I havent had any delays with USPS the week before Xmas, so I dont think it's so terrible. Still, a bad experience can happen.
    I know the reasons stated for delays, I'm just worried about the effects of such a long transit, in extreme weather conditions, on this delicate fragrance. I ordered it before the storms and would have waited, if I'd known what was coming.

Common Lackey

On Saturday 20th February, around noon, I ordered a product from a company in Boulder, Colorado, to be delivered to me on the Eastern seaboard. It was shipped same day around 5pm, by regular priority mail (not express). It arrived at my door at 4pm on Monday 22nd February.

So it's not like they can't do it.

Missing Oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    On Saturday 20th February, around noon, I ordered a product from a company in Boulder, Colorado, to be delivered to me on the Eastern seaboard. It was shipped same day around 5pm, by regular priority mail (not express). It arrived at my door at 4pm on Monday 22nd February.

So it's not like they can't do it.
    Amen to that. The week before I ordered the Apres l'Ondée, I'd ordered a sample from the same seller and it got here in 3 days. A month earlier, I'd received a full bottle from that seller and it, too, arrived in 3 days. Same seller, same point of origin, same post office. That's why I'm so worried about this package.

Basenotes Plus

Well, my package said it was delivered today, but guess who didn't get my package ,
    ME.
    This happened to me with Agar Aura samples , and now I finally was to receive my decant
    from The Decant Shop, which takes forever to fill, and they dropped it off who knows where.
    I left instructions on where to leave it too.
    So, now I have to hope for a nice person delivering my package to me like the Agar Aura samples.
    Seriously , USPS SUCKS.
    Right now I am off to Areeg le Dore to upgrade my shipping.
    Why, because stupidly I went with USPS.
    Also, I ordered something from Fragrancenet and used USPS .
    So that's it. No more USPS, EVER.
    Also, I myself get wrong mail delivered to me, and I have to bring it to the right address .
    I'm so frustrated.
    Last edited by JBS1; 2nd March 2021 at 12:31 AM. Reason: cnatspeeel

Missing Oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by JBS1 View Post
    So that's it. No more USPS, EVER.
    Also, I myself get wrong mail delivered to me, and I have to bring it to the right address .
    I'm so frustrated.
    Same here, all the way around. Some places don't give you a choice of carriers, but from now on, whenever possible, I'll go with UPS or FedEx. USPS has actually gotten WORSE since the holidays. Unbelievable.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Some places don't give you a choice of carriers, but from now on, whenever possible, I'll go with UPS or FedEx.
    Very smart decision!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

My recent FragranceNet order with free shipping: 13 days to go from New Jersey to Virginia to Mississippi to Kansas to Wisconsin

I'm not complaining - I knew what I signed up for with FedEx Smartpost - I just find it humorous

Quote Originally Posted by nosey74 View Post
    My recent FragranceNet order with free shipping: 13 days to go from New Jersey to Virginia to Mississippi to Kansas to Wisconsin

I'm not complaining - I knew what I signed up for with FedEx Smartpost - I just find it humorous
    The last 2 weeks have been pretty bad for all carriers due to weather
    Selling decants in US, Tom Ford, Creed, Bortnikoff, MFK, and more!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/478...-Lush-and-more

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by succio View Post
    The last 2 weeks have been pretty bad for all carriers due to weather
    Yes very true, but mine isn't one of those affected areas.
    Plus, it made it to my area , within good time, but it didn't make it into my mailbox,
    even though they said it did.

Basenotes Plus

Same here, all the way around. Some places don't give you a choice of carriers, but from now on, whenever possible, I'll go with UPS or FedEx. USPS has actually gotten WORSE since the holidays. Unbelievable.
    Crazy. Just plain silly crazy.
    I did email Areej about an upgrade .
    See if I can get it in.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by nosey74 View Post

I know . That's what I'll be getting From Fragrancenet.
    Let ya know how long.

Basenotes Plus

Got it.
    Another very nice person delivered the mail to the correct address , mine .

Missing Oakmoss

General question: Why do 99% of sellers on eBay and Etsy use USPS exclusively? I personally know of only one seller on eBay who ships via UPS (for exactly the reasons that gave rise to this thread) - and not a single seller I've bought from on Etsy. Do eBay and Etsy have contracts with the USPS? At first, I thought it must be because USPS is more convenient in some way, but UPS and FedEx both offer shipment pickup at places of business. I just can't figure out why, given the ineptitude of today's USPS, there are still so few sellers who offer alternatives. I would gladly pay more, just to avoid headaches.

Common Lackey

General question: Why do 99% of sellers on eBay and Etsy use USPS exclusively?
    Maybe because there are so many ways to print USPS labels and postage at home? Several different companies offer free software for that.

but UPS and FedEx both offer shipment pickup at places of business. I just can't figure out why, given the ineptitude of today's USPS, there are still so few sellers who offer alternatives. I would gladly pay more, just to avoid headaches.
    But most of those who avail themselves of FedEx wind up using FedEx SmartPost, which is even more disastrous than plain USPS. Whenever I see that my package is coming via SmartPost, my heart sinks.

Missing Oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    But most of those who avail themselves of FedEx wind up using FedEx SmartPost, which is even more disastrous than plain USPS. Whenever I see that my package is coming via SmartPost, my heart sinks.
    This is so true! I'd forgotten that, selective amnesia because I hate SmartPost so much. And UPS and DHL have their own versions of that horror. I guess we're just stuck with whatever we get.

I’m not old, I’m vintage.

General question: Why do 99% of sellers on eBay and Etsy use USPS exclusively? I personally know of only one seller on eBay who ships via UPS (for exactly the reasons that gave rise to this thread) - and not a single seller I've bought from on Etsy. Do eBay and Etsy have contracts with the USPS? At first, I thought it must be because USPS is more convenient in some way, but UPS and FedEx both offer shipment pickup at places of business. I just can't figure out why, given the ineptitude of today's USPS, there are still so few sellers who offer alternatives. I would gladly pay more, just to avoid headaches.
    I believe eBay and Etsy have discounted shipping contracts with USPS. UPS and FedEx charge for pickup from home addresses: USPS doesn’t. Lots of sellers are operating out of their homes. If I’m sending via USPS, I just put the package on the porch before the mail carrier shows up, same cost as if I went to the post office. That’s hard to beat.
    Currently wearing: Yram by Mary Chess

Missing Oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    I believe eBay and Etsy have discounted shipping contracts with USPS. UPS and FedEx charge for pickup from home addresses: USPS doesn’t. Lots of sellers are operating out of their homes. If I’m sending via USPS, I just put the package on the porch before the mail carrier shows up, same cost as if I went to the post office. That’s hard to beat.
    Thank you, I can certainly understand that.

Basenotes Plus

copied&pasted
    Why does DHL use USPS to deliver packages? ...
    It would cost DHL more to deliver them than they charged the customer,
    so DHL (and UPS and other carriers) contract with the postal service to deliver some of their packages for them.
    The postal service covers every deliverable address six days a week.

Also , copied&pasted
    But instead of dropping packages on customers' porches,
    FedEx merely drops them at the local post office. USPS carries SmartPost parcels for the final leg of their ...

Missing Oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by JBS1 View Post
    But instead of dropping packages on customers' porches,
    FedEx merely drops them at the local post office. USPS carries SmartPost parcels for the final leg of their ...
    Right. And sometimes they make it, and sometimes they don't.

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    I offer free shipping on most of my listings. From my experience, USPS first-class and priority is usually cheaper and just as fast as FedEx Ground and standard UPS. Printing labels for either carriers is easy through eBay so that's not an issue for me. What I don't like about using FedEx as a seller is that I don't get charged until the package is delivered - may sound strange to some but I prefer to pay for shipping at the time of creating the label rather than 10-14 days later when I may or may not have PayPal funds available and ultimately have to charge my credit card or transfer from my linked checking account for a transaction that I forgot about two weeks ago.

Basenotes Plus

Well, this is a first for FedX , but it is smartpost .
    I should have received my package today, but now it states Saturday.
    We shall see.
    I live in Ohio , of which my package was in , but now it was sent to Michigan .
    copied&pasted

Thursday, March 4, 2021
    5:59 PM FEDEX SMARTPOST BELLEVILLE, MI
    Arrived at FedEx location
    1:10 AM FEDEX SMARTPOST GROVE CITY, OH
    Departed FedEx location
    Wednesday, March 3, 2021
    9:16 PM FEDEX SMARTPOST GROVE CITY, OH
    9:46 AM KEASBEY, NJ
    Departed FedEx location
    Tuesday, March 2, 2021
    9:20 PM KEASBEY, NJ
    Friday, February 26, 2021
    11:05 PM Shipment information sent to FedEx

Missing Oakmoss

SmartPost is just awful. I, too, am waiting on a box shipped that way from NJ. The company usually ships by UPS and it takes 4 days by ground to get here, but sometimes they do SmartPost and then I know to add a week to that. A shipping notice that says FedEx always elicits a sigh f relief from me - unless SmartPost is involved..

I told my wife I'm at the point where I hate ordering stuff because I know the wait is triple what it used to be. If I can pay retail and have it now, I think I'd rather for certain items. I've never been patient to begin with. First world problems? You betcha.
    Currently wearing: Invictus by Paco Rabanne

Missing Oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I told my wife I'm at the point where I hate ordering stuff because I know the wait is triple what it used to be. If I can pay retail and have it now, I think I'd rather for certain items. I've never been patient to begin with. First world problems? You betcha.
    I hear you. But this is crazy, we're back to the hardcopy catalogue days of "please allow 2-3 weeks for delivery." I'm at the point of hating to order things, too. From now on, if I can get what I need from a reputable store that will ship by UPS or FedEx without any involvement whatsoever by USPS, that's where my dollars will go.

Today, USPS has once again delivered a box to the wrong address, I can't get a real person at the p.o. to help, and Amazon won't do a thing for 48 hours. This is a therapeutic item, one I can't get locally and very much need. Except for books, I'm done with Amazon until they ditch USPS.

Basenotes Plus

SmartPost is just awful. I, too, am waiting on a box shipped that way from NJ. The company usually ships by UPS and it takes 4 days by ground to get here, but sometimes they do SmartPost and then I know to add a week to that. A shipping notice that says FedEx always elicits a sigh f relief from me - unless SmartPost is involved..
    I have NO idea how they did it, but they FedX/Smartpost got it to me today.
    Didn't expect it.
    2:30 PM Cuyahoga Falls, OH
    Delivered
    Left at front door. Signature Service not requested.
    8:22 AM TWINSBURG, OH
    On FedEx vehicle for delivery
    8:17 AM TWINSBURG, OH
    8:15 AM TWINSBURG, OH
    At local FedEx facility
    Delivery scheduled via FedEx Ground, not US Postal Service
    8:15 AM TWINSBURG, OH
    At local FedEx facility
    Thursday, March 4, 2021
    5:59 PM FEDEX SMARTPOST BELLEVILLE, MI

Now let's see how UPS does tommorow.
    It's my Areej Le dore Chinese Oud.
    Gonna see if I need a signature .

Missing Oakmoss

On the bright side, we all seem to be getting our packages...weeks late, unscanned in many cases, with weird delivery messages and errors, but usually not lost. That's about the best that can be said for USPS at this point. For the sakes of the hardworking people laboring there under terrible conditions, I hope USPS will eventually be restructured and revamped, with a new postmaster general and board of directors.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast