Code of Conduct
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Default Re: Spotted at Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Ross, etc. - Vol 4, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hawk View Post
    I can't really comment on the performance of Peony & Peppercorn or Gardenia & Cardamom though, I haven't given them full wearings. I think they're quite a bit more floral and feminine than 90 Pure White, I'm actually quite comfortable wearing that one.
    Peony & Peppercorn is a fresh floral unisex leaning feminine, it's very light with very modest performance. Very been-there-done-that forgettable (in fact, it remind me of a certain Jaffra Spa body spray from the 90s that was also in a pale pink bottle), but very wearable and inoffensive.

Gardenia & Cardamom is a straightforward feminine floral IMO, I can't pull it off, but the performance is great - good projection and longevity. I get more tuberose than gardenia, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hawk View Post
    Found a John Varvatos sample set at TJ Maxx. 15 mls each of original John Varvatos, JV Vintage, JV Artisan, and JV Artisan Pure. $20 for 45 ml of juice total, not bad. I'm something of a fan of the JV line (and the perfumer behind most of them, Rodrigo Flores-Roux). I have Artisan Blu, Dark Rebel, and Dark Rebel Rider. But I didn't have any of the ones in the set. The one downside is they don't have atomizers, just a hole to dab the fragrance like an aftershave bottle.
    That's not a bad deal, a good way to trying them out before investing in a full size bottle.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Basenotes Member

Finally caved and picked up that bottle of 90210 Metal Jeans for $8 at Burlington. It’s just been sitting there on the top shelf for months. Probably thinking to itself “who in the hell is going to buy a 90210 fragrance in the 2020’s??”. Especially one in a blackjack shaped silver bottle!?

Well, I did and I’m glad I did. Totally close enough to Fahrenheit to warrant a purchase at 3x the price. $8 is like stealing. Probably the best bang for buck fragrance I’ve bought yet (about 30 in the last 4 months) and probably ever. Quite pleased.

Also picked up a one ounce bottle of KC Reaction. Cool little cylinder. Perfect to throw in the gym bag.

I saw the new Evelyn Rose EDP by Crabtree & Evelyn in Marshalls today, 100 ml for a whopping $7. I've seen some comments previously about how the new version, called Femme De Force Scent is nothing like the classic fragrance from a few years ago and is a more modern and possibly unisex take on rose.
    The notes from the C&E website sounded intriguing:
    Top notes:
    Italian Lemon - a burst of citrus
    Elemi - aromatic resin
    Olibanum - sharp frankincense
    Cassis - refreshing blackberry
    Heart notes:
    Rose - a woody rose that's not your average pretty petal
    Nutmeg - for added warmth
    Cashmere woods - harmonic blend of musk and wood
    Base notes:
    Vetiver - adds an earthy edge
    Guaiac wood - an exotic wood that has hints of tarmac and smokiness
    Musk - for a sensuous finish

So I figured I had literally only $7 to lose if I blind bought this fragrance and I probably wouldn't get another chance to try it anyway, so I got it. Came home thinking "please don't be another girly bubblegummy watery aquatic rose with a dash of citrus" and guess what - it isn't. This is a darker gothic rose with elemi, incense and nutmeg are front and center. I haven't gotten to the drydown yet, but yes, this could be unisex. I am keeping this one, especially at this price.

Oh yeah, cool matte bottle with a heavy magnetic cap to boot.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by maksidrom View Post
    I saw the new Evelyn Rose EDP by Crabtree & Evelyn in Marshalls today, 100 ml for a whopping $7. .....

I am keeping this one, especially at this price.

Oh yeah, cool matte bottle with a heavy magnetic cap to boot.
    Thanks for the heads-up!!!
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Smellyicious View Post
    Finally caved and picked up that bottle of 90210 Metal Jeans for $8 at Burlington. It’s just been sitting there on the top shelf for months. Probably thinking to itself “who in the hell is going to buy a 90210 fragrance in the 2020’s??”. Especially one in a blackjack shaped silver bottle!?

Well, I did and I’m glad I did. Totally close enough to Fahrenheit to warrant a purchase at 3x the price. $8 is like stealing. Probably the best bang for buck fragrance I’ve bought yet (about 30 in the last 4 months) and probably ever. Quite pleased.

Also picked up a one ounce bottle of KC Reaction. Cool little cylinder. Perfect to throw in the gym bag.
    Fahrenheit clone! Don't see that every day!

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Fahrenheit clone! Don't see that every day!
    And it’s reeeaaaaallllyyyyy goooooooooood. No joke.

I saw the new Evelyn Rose EDP by Crabtree & Evelyn in Marshalls today, 100 ml for a whopping $7. I've seen some comments previously about how the new version, called Femme De Force Scent is nothing like the classic fragrance from a few years ago and is a more modern and possibly unisex take on rose.
    I just realized which fragrance it reminds me of: Commodity Velvet.

Basenotes Member

Found myself in a different part of the world today - NJ of all places! - with time to kill, so hit a bunch of rack stores in that area. Best deal was a Missoni Wave gift box - 4 items, including 100ml bottle - for $50. I’m gonna regret not picking that up. But i did buy 5 bottles: JVxNJ Silver (and the Crimson), Ferragamo Homme, TB St. Kitts and Usher He. Happy with all of them. Paid $35 for the Crimson, which was 4.2 oz.

Never thought I’d be ignoring all the loose bottles of English Laundry for $12.99, but their performance is so bad. Breaks my heart, because the frags smell outrageously good. Looking out for the boxed versions, which I’ve read are stronger.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Found myself in a different part of the world today - NJ of all places! - with time to kill, so hit a bunch of rack stores in that area. Best deal was a Missoni Wave gift box - 4 items, including 100ml bottle - for $50. I’m gonna regret not picking that up. But i did buy 5 bottles: JVxNJ Silver (and the Crimson), Ferragamo Homme, TB St. Kitts and Usher He. Happy with all of them. Paid $35 for the Crimson, which was 4.2 oz.

Never thought I’d be ignoring all the loose bottles of English Laundry for $12.99, but their performance is so bad. Breaks my heart, because the frags smell outrageously good. Looking out for the boxed versions, which I’ve read are stronger.
    Got some good ones there! Those JVxNJ are all good, but I can't afford to buy all the good ones at full price. That $35 tag is great!

Bought the Missoni Wave gift set and a Versace Man Fraiche gift set at TJ. They should be great summer scents.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Bought the Missoni Wave gift set and a Versace Man Fraiche gift set at TJ. They should be great summer scents.
    Nice Chuck. How much were the gift sets? I should revisit Versace Man Eau Fraiche for old time sakes.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Nice Chuck. How much were the gift sets? I should revisit Versace Man Eau Fraiche for old time sakes.
    I believe they were $49 and $59.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Bought the Missoni Wave gift set
    Hope you enjoy it!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Hope you enjoy it!
    It smells very easy to love. Can’t miss for warm weather.

I just picked up English Laundry Signature EDP for $9.99 at Burlington. It was packaged in a magnetic lid coffin.
    20210613_131908.jpg
    20210613_131918.jpg
    20210613_131929.jpg

Basenotes Member

Please do tell of the scent, sillage and longevity. I purchased a loose bottle of this, and while it lasts longer and projects better than other loose EL bottles I’ve purchased, it doesn’t perform as well as the EL scents that came in boxes. $10 is a score.

Basenotes Member

It smells very easy to love. Can’t miss for warm weather.
    The Wave? I’m intrigued. I bought Missoni pour Homme last week. It’s pretty good, but I was expecting a little more “wow”.

I checked another Burlington and came across another boxed English Laundry. I went ahead and picked up this English Laundry London for $12.99. The packaging was marked as an EDT, however, upon opening, the bottle is labeled as EDP.
    20210613_151751.jpg
    20210613_151459.jpg
    20210613_151526.jpg

Basenotes Member

If you don’t like it and feel like making a swap, lemme know. I’ve got stuff, including a boxed Riviera. I like the Riviera, but wife is “eh”.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeroyDaBoy View Post
    Interesting, this sticker in addition to "designed in USA" and "fragrance made in USA" also indicates that it was made in China. I don't recall seeing that on my bottles bought 3 years ago. So I am guessing they do the blending in the USA and then bottling in China? That could explain variations in quality and the bubbling and peeling of the bottle coating I commented on back then.

Had errand there so made the rounds, Maxx, Marshalls, Burlington. More gift sets (guess for father's day) and less overall selection, didn't see anything really interesting. There was a ton of the BR stuff at all three, both the tall ones and the cube ones. Burlington had Dunhill Century for $20 but had not heard of it. There was a boxed "Fennel and Sage" or something like that, and for a second I thought had never seen Malone stuff there, then realized was crossing names up it wasn't Jo Malone. It was some off brand under $10 for couple bottles.....

Quote Originally Posted by woodnotes55 View Post
    Had errand there so made the rounds, Maxx, Marshalls, Burlington. More gift sets (guess for father's day) and less overall selection, didn't see anything really interesting. There was a ton of the BR stuff at all three, both the tall ones and the cube ones. Burlington had Dunhill Century for $20 but had not heard of it. There was a boxed "Fennel and Sage" or something like that, and for a second I thought had never seen Malone stuff there, then realized was crossing names up it wasn't Jo Malone. It was some off brand under $10 for couple bottles.....
    I think I paid $30 for Century last fall. That’s a good price! It gets compared to Santa 33. I really like it.

Quote Originally Posted by NettyYeti View Post
    I think I paid $30 for Century last fall. That’s a good price! It gets compared to Santa 33. I really like it.

Hmmm.... looks like I put too much weight in not having heard about it..... Thanks for the recommendation.

I sampled santal 33 again last week... get not much if any sandalwood, but I was pleasantly surprised by it, so might like Century.....

[QUOTE=NettyYeti;5182718]The layout in the pictures I posted are consistent with other Kohl’s I’ve visited in the Midwest. I imagine the new Sephora partnership could change other stores for the better, but time will tell.

The current layout may also be a regional thing - Kohl’s is a Wisconsin-based company, and it’s first store was in SE Wisconsin.[/QUOTE

This was also a MW Kohl's, but was a bit far-out suburb thing, maybe equivalent to Racine talking SE Wi. I went to another one that is more regular suburban and more near higher income...... and it was almost the same!!! Kind of looks like your pics but much smaller and no deals!

In a section with mens clothes they had this tower thing and it was Polo on one side Azzaro on the other. But each fragrance was in a giant clear weighted security thing so you couldn't spray any. Seemed like a good spot for testers, as they had no others there boxed just one of each. The women's fragrance sign was by boxed sets again but no mens there, and the main fragrance area was kind of across from that with no big sign.

I took a picture. The right section with Polo label on top is all mens. The three on the left starting with Calvin Klein are all womens. It doesn't show but there's an L wall there and just to the right of the Polo part there is a second section that is mens. It was all common mass market stuff and nothing was on clearance.

Besides this section, there are a bunch of stand-alone islands (you can see the retinol thing) and it just seems very haphazard with no logical design of what is where. There was another island in the next section over of clothes that was all clearance, it was all lotion/cream/shampoo and so on no fragrances.

But mainly, still disappointed, no clearance deals!!!!

]IMG_5930.jpg

Ended up giving away my Banana Republic Peony & Peppercorn to a female friend who likes to smell test the fragrances I buy. She said P&P was something she would really enjoy wearing herself. I figured if I kept it all it would do was look pretty on my shelf, whereas it will actually get used by her. (Her favorites from the line to smell on a guy are Tobacco & Tonka Bean and Dark Cherry & Amber. She seems to be a fan of smelling rich, sweet, gourmand-y fragrances on guys).

Yesterday I picked up a 50 ml of Prada L'Homme L'eau at Ross for $50. Not the most amazing deal, but I've had my eye on the Prada L'homme line for a while, and I didn't have any iris-forward fresh fragrances. So I pulled the trigger, and I really do enjoy it. Perfect casual daytime or office scent for warmer months.

Basenotes Member

Bought what might become my signature at Burlington yesterday: Mugler Alien Man. Holy schneikes what an awesome frag. There has been a stack of gift sets for months, and they finally went down in price. $25 for the 50ml and $40 for the 100ml. Bought the 50 but might go back and get the 100 too. Stuff is remarkable. Similar to Missoni, but with a lot more personality IMO.

I should really stop buying. I’ll never get through all these! But through trial and error I’m finding some gems, so all in all I’m ok with this new obsession.

Bought what might become my signature at Burlington yesterday: Mugler Alien Man. Holy schneikes what an awesome frag. There has been a stack of gift sets for months, and they finally went down in price. $25 for the 50ml and $40 for the 100ml. Bought the 50 but might go back and get the 100 too.
    It’s a favorite of mine, as well. I’ve yet to see it at rack stores. Good find!

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

$40 for the 100ml.
    That's a good price for that size.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Finally came across some E&J Nirvana fragrances on clearance at a suburban Kohl's. Picked up Black, Rose and Bourbon.

PXL_20210612_200515350.MP-1024x768.jpg

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast