Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Spotted at Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Ross, etc. - Vol 4, 2021

Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Sous Le Vent by Guerlain

Default Re: Spotted at Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Ross, etc. - Vol 4, 2021

First post! Spotted a few things at Nordstrom Rack in Downtown Seattle today - Terre d'Hermes Parfum gift set with 75 ml of the Parfum, aftershave lotion and shaving cream for $69.99. There was only one left, someone should go grab it! I would've, but I already have a 200 ml bottle.

Also some Gucci Memoire d'Une Odeur and a bunch of Mugler Aura gift sets. Otherwise nothing too exciting.
    “I have often observed that [scents] cause an alteration in me and work upon my spirits according to their several virtues; which makes me approve of what is said, that the use of incense and perfumes in churches, so ancient and so universally received in all nations and religions, was intended to cheer us, and to rouse and purify the senses, the better to fit us for contemplation” - Montaigne

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jkonick View Post
    First post! Spotted a few things at Nordstrom Rack in Downtown Seattle today - Terre d'Hermes Parfum gift set with 75 ml of the Parfum, aftershave lotion and shaving cream for $69.99. There was only one left, someone should go grab it! I would've, but I already have a 200 ml bottle.

Also some Gucci Memoire d'Une Odeur and a bunch of Mugler Aura gift sets. Otherwise nothing too exciting.
    It seems I live in a different universe .... everything except grocery stores and drugstores are closed here. I'm thinking of buying two perfumes but one is out of stock.
    Currently wearing: Diaghilev by Roja Dove

First post! Spotted a few things at Nordstrom Rack in Downtown Seattle today - Terre d'Hermes Parfum gift set with 75 ml of the Parfum, aftershave lotion and shaving cream for $69.99.
    Bought that last month. I also went back to Marshall’s today and bought the Trussardi Riflesso set I saw before Christmas.

Christmas shopping seemed to whip out much of the stock at my stores, I wasn’t looking for anything in particular anyways hopefully 2021 has some good finds!

Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    Christmas shopping seemed to whip out much of the stock at my stores, I wasn’t looking for anything in particular anyways hopefully 2021 has some good finds!
    Ross had 1 bottle of men’s left. One.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Ross had 1 bottle of men’s left. One.
    No excuse for anyone to smell like BO by you now! Hahahahaha

I think it was Azzaro Chrome Legend.

Blog Entries

Too bad TJ Maxx sure ain't what it used to be a few years ago. I remember getting bottles of Magnetism, and Gucci pH II back in 2009/2010 for 24.99 each for 100 ml bottles.

I know being a decade later prices have gone up, but with all the new fragrances we've gotten, you'd think somebody other than Fragnet and Ebay would have them. Last few times I went into TJ Maxx, and Marshall's I was so disappointed. This time of year, or a few weeks back always used to be the best time. You could get great gift sets for 25-30 bucks, even a few years ago. Now.. nothing.

Sadly, it puts a damper on this hobby. There was something thrilling and exciting about going into these discounters and walking out with 30-50 bucks of blind buys, coming home like a spoiled kid on Christmas, and unboxing everything. I don't have the desire to blind buy frags online so much without sampling first, cause 30 bucks here, 40 bucks there, all adds up. It's also a pain to try and return opened frags from online retailers, so you're usually stuck with them. Ya.. unfortunately.. that thrill is gone, and TJ Maxx, Marshall's, like other outlet style stores, will probably wind up going out of business soon like the many before them, due to online retailers.
    Currently wearing: Agua Brava by Antonio Puig

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    It seems I live in a different universe .... everything except grocery stores and drugstores are closed here. I'm thinking of buying two perfumes but one is out of stock.
    Yes, you and I live in the alternate universe named Toronto - we don't get deals like what we read on this thread ever from the Winners / TJX / Saks etc. My best pick was a Xerjoff at Fragrancenet price 2 yrs back and I was elated!
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

Looks like stores will definitely need time to recover from the holiday season. I'm guessing it will take a few weeks before leftover fall/winter stocks trickle in.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

My local Marshalls still had a bunch of Azzaro Wanted, Wanted By Night, Bond No 9 and AdP Colonia Assoluta (many marked down, mind you) left, because they flippin' perched them on the top shelf by the back wall behind the bloody counter!! Nobody would know unless you had a trained eye and were actually in the line buying something else:

Oh, and a Missoni PH giftset was marked down to $48 (100 ml edp +10 ml travel edp + deo + showergel).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by maksidrom View Post
    Oh, and a Missoni PH giftset was marked down to $48 (100 ml edp +10 ml travel edp + deo + showergel).
    I just picked up a different Missoni PH gift set today at TJ Maxx in SE Wisconsin. $48 for a 3.4 oz and 1 oz.

Other than that, there were almost no other fragrances on the shelves.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

That's a pretty god price.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    I actually wish everything here was closed, but that's another story. Popping into Nordstrom Rack was my first retail experience in a while, and I was in and out in about a minute and a half. Downtown Seattle is pretty empty too. I wanted to see what gift sets they had post-Christmas, but that will probably be my last in-store discounter visit for a few months at least.
    “I have often observed that [scents] cause an alteration in me and work upon my spirits according to their several virtues; which makes me approve of what is said, that the use of incense and perfumes in churches, so ancient and so universally received in all nations and religions, was intended to cheer us, and to rouse and purify the senses, the better to fit us for contemplation” - Montaigne

Basenotes Institution The Colognnoisseur's Avatar

Spotted and bought 75ml bottle of Banana Republic Oud Mosaic at the local Marshall’s for $20 yesterday. Went to post this in the 2020 thread last night but it was already locked down by moderator CuddleCat — so I will post here — premature thread lock downs are getting tedious.
    Last edited by The Colognnoisseur; 2nd January 2021 at 04:29 PM.
    THE COLOGNNOISSEUR
    OMAHA, NE
    USA

TJ Maxx: Commodity Bergamot and Vetiver 100 ml bottles marked down to $24, Dsquared2 Wood 100 ml boxsets and standalone 100 ml bottles marked down to $48.
    Burlington: JV x NJ 75 ml marked down to $15, AoS Green Lavender 100 ml marked down to $13, Zegna Intenso 50 ml bottles marked down to $8-$10 (not sure why the difference but it was kinda random).

My local Marshalls still had a bunch of Azzaro Wanted, Wanted By Night, Bond No 9 and AdP Colonia Assoluta (many marked down, mind you) left, because they flippin' perched them on the top shelf by the back wall behind the bloody counter!! Nobody would know unless you had a trained eye and were actually in the line buying something else:

See, I would love it if this were the case in my neck of the woods. All just waiting for me to peruse! lol
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Hermès H24
    3. Mugler Over the Musk
    4. Molinard Patchouli
    5. Tiziana Terenzi Ursa

Did you ask them the price of these bottles?

Nice price for the Missoni PH giftset.

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Did you ask them the price of these bottles?

Nice price for the Missoni PH giftset.
    I only asked for the price of AdP Colonia Assoluta. It was $64 for a 50 ml bottle.

Blog Entries

How much was the Azzaro Wanted by Night? Really good frag imo.

Quote Originally Posted by The Colognnoisseur View Post
    Spotted and bought 75ml bottle of Banana Republic Oud Mosaic at the local Marshall’s yesterday. Went to post this in the 2020 thread last night but it was already locked down by moderator CuddleCat — so I will post here — premature thread lock downs are getting tedious.
    I found this one recently for £19 in the UK. Bargain if you ask me.

TJ Maxx: Commodity Bergamot and Vetiver 100 ml bottles marked down to $24, Dsquared2 Wood 100 ml boxsets and standalone 100 ml bottles marked down to $48.
    Burlington: JV x NJ 75 ml marked down to $15, AoS Green Lavender 100 ml marked down to $13, Zegna Intenso 50 ml bottles marked down to $8-$10 (not sure why the difference but it was kinda random).
    Some really good prices here. I’ve been enjoying Commodity Vetiver and Green Lavender.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    How much was the Azzaro Wanted by Night? Really good frag imo.
    I saw the gift set in another Marshalls today and it was marked down to $40. I think the initial price was $50, so considering that at TJX/Marshalls 20% off is typically the first markdown then that's probably what it should be. Of course it varies from store to store, I saw a bunch of Commodity and Dsquared2 at that location that were not marked down at all.

Quote Originally Posted by NettyYeti View Post
    I’ve been enjoying Commodity Vetiver and Green Lavender.
    For $24/100ml I'd rather buy a whole bunch of Commodity Vetiver and Bergamot instead of similarly priced designer freshies. I could respray Bergamot as often as I please.
    AoS Green Lavender has somewhat slowly grown on me. I am usually not a fan a lavender-centric barbershop masculine fragrances (I do love Luna Rossa though), but Green Lavender is so bright, smooth, effervescent and refreshing that it has won a place in my heart. I love the zesty citric aspect and it is particularly splendid during a hot and humid summer (I need to try it out on colder days). It is also a very good preformer - excellent longevity and projection.

I saw the gift set in another Marshalls today and it was marked down to $40. I think the initial price was $50, so considering that at TJX/Marshalls 20% off is typically the first markdown then that's probably what it should be. Of course it varies from store to store, I saw a bunch of Commodity and Dsquared2 at that location that were not marked down at all.

For $24/100ml I'd rather buy a whole bunch of Commodity Vetiver and Bergamot instead of similarly priced designer freshies. I could respray Bergamot as often as I please.
    AoS Green Lavender has somewhat slowly grown on me. I am usually not a fan a lavender-centric barbershop masculine fragrances (I do love Luna Rossa though), but Green Lavender is so bright, smooth, effervescent and refreshing that it has won a place in my heart. I love the zesty citric aspect and it is particularly splendid during a hot and humid summer (I need to try it out on colder days). It is also a very good preformer - excellent longevity and projection.
    Green Lavender is definitely a good one. You'll love it during cooler months.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

TJ Maxx:
    Versace Eros Flame 1 oz @26.99--not a good deal but had been waiting to try it
    Mont Blanc Starwalker 4 oz @16.00--clearance, should have gotten it instead of the Versace
    Varvatos Dark Rebel 4 oz--too spendy, skipped

Marshalls:
    Varvators DR Rider and Artisan Pure--4 oz @ 34.99--not a good deal, but wanted to try DRR

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Beach View Post
    TJ Maxx:
    Versace Eros Flame 1 oz @26.99--not a good deal but had been waiting to try it
    Mont Blanc Starwalker 4 oz @16.00--clearance, should have gotten it instead of the Versace
    Varvatos Dark Rebel 4 oz--too spendy, skipped

Marshalls:
    Varvators DR Rider and Artisan Pure--4 oz @ 34.99--not a good deal, but wanted to try DRR
    Starwalker is pretty nice, if you have never smelled it. It's an airy sort of transparent fragrance. $16 is a steal for a 4 oz bottle of it. It's also really cool if you're a Star Wars fan. The font on the bottle, and the cap looking like a light saber handle.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Too bad TJ Maxx sure ain't what it used to be a few years ago. I remember getting bottles of Magnetism, and Gucci pH II back in 2009/2010 for 24.99 each for 100 ml bottles.

I know being a decade later prices have gone up, but with all the new fragrances we've gotten, you'd think somebody other than Fragnet and Ebay would have them. Last few times I went into TJ Maxx, and Marshall's I was so disappointed. This time of year, or a few weeks back always used to be the best time. You could get great gift sets for 25-30 bucks, even a few years ago. Now.. nothing.

Sadly, it puts a damper on this hobby. There was something thrilling and exciting about going into these discounters and walking out with 30-50 bucks of blind buys, coming home like a spoiled kid on Christmas, and unboxing everything. I don't have the desire to blind buy frags online so much without sampling first, cause 30 bucks here, 40 bucks there, all adds up. It's also a pain to try and return opened frags from online retailers, so you're usually stuck with them. Ya.. unfortunately.. that thrill is gone, and TJ Maxx, Marshall's, like other outlet style stores, will probably wind up going out of business soon like the many before them, due to online retailers.
    (First off, it's really weird not having to click "last page" for this thread......)

Know what you mean, but I would not expect it to be a permanent thing. It may be that certain of the more expensive designers/niche that were at discounters are not any more if they actually manage inventory better, but it's just as likely that other houses/producers will start turning up that didn't. We're in a weird time with supply chains all garfed due to Covid, shutdowns/openings and more shutdowns but varying by region/location/ and even city. On top of that is the retail apocalypse where the physical retail that were already under pressure get covid'd. Would expect that in time more of the inventory from places that close will work it's way to the discounters.

Further off topic, but as an investor I would bet that TJX is a buy and more likely to thrive in the future than fail. They recently reinstated their dividend and seem to be doing well given conditions. Unless something happens that brings more prosperity to all, budget buyers and the associated discounters will be a growth area. Perhaps the same for dollar stores....
    Currently wearing: Rose 31 by Le Labo

Only clearance was D'squared wood marked $59 to $39. Still wish I could smell it to decide if worth buying, but didn't. Commodity, Banana Republic, still in stock but not marked down yet. They did have two Zegna Uomo 3.4, one was $19.99 and one just $17.99 but not marked markdown or clearance..... Would have bought that but decided didn't want to wait however long in the super long checkout line....
    Currently wearing: Rose 31 by Le Labo

BTW, y'all--maybe this is too basic, but if you are looking for men's fragrances, be sure to hunt through the women's section as well!

Sometimes, it seems like an honest mistake (e.g., Cool Water men's vs. women's packing is very similar), but other times, it's clearly a misplacement (probably designed to let the item get marked down for employees). Found a gift set of English Laundry London for $16 in the women's section today--if there's a more manly looking box design than a snobby gold crest and archaic font on black, I haven't seen it. There were three other markdowns as well, all suspiciously placed at the back of the women's fragrances.