Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Junkie

Default Is Kilian bullshitting us ?

I remember in a video from Brooklyn Fragrance Lover with the spokeperson of Kilian, Steve Assous, after a question from Carlos about the black juices, Steve said that he went into Kilian's office regularly and some perfume juice was going blacker and blacker
    now we all know that Kilian's juices aren't black, only some of the bottles are tinted to look like the juice is black

so is there some Kilian perfumes that turn black, or is Kilian bullshitting us?

Default Re: Is Kilian bullshitting us ?

Fragrances can naturally change color over time. Are you assuming there's something defective with these Kilians?
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    Big list of niche splits.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by strifeknot View Post
    Fragrances can naturally change color over time. Are you assuming there's something defective with these Kilians?
    no

i'm asuming they announced that their fragrances should become dark over time, whereas that's the bottles that are painted black

I also thought at the beginning that Kilian's juices were mostly black

I smell BS

There's unlikely any intent to trick anyone into thinking the fragrances are actually black by using black bottles. While fragrances can change color over time, no one should expect them to turn black. I'm not sure why this would even be desirable. Just enjoy the smell and forget the color.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

There's unlikely any intent to trick anyone into thinking the fragrances are actually black by using black bottles. While fragrances can change color over time, no one should expect them to turn black. I'm not sure why this would even be desirable. Just enjoy the smell and forget the color.
    Basically this.

I don't think (or at least hope) that anyone takes any of this marketing seriously, as it's all basically designed to fleece the rich at these price points. Bedazzle them with one hand, slip hands in their pocket book with the other. You have to separate that from the smell and decide if the smell alone is worth whatever they charge, because their fairytales sure aren't.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil
    Currently wearing: Invictus by Paco Rabanne

Basenotes Junkie

I'm talking about what Steve said about seeing the juice becoming black in Kilian's bottles, which is BS obviously
    This makes me think they intentionally colored their bottle black interiorly to push that agenda

If you want to discuss this seriously, please post a link to the interview.
    Currently wearing: Ébène by Pierre Balmain

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Nasenmann View Post
    If you want to discuss this seriously, please post a link to the interview.
    yeah sorry

https://youtu.be/bgIwM1thslo?t=513

I love how he shows the "black" bottle at 8:38 to prove his point...so BS

Didn't even read the post.
    The answer is yes.
    YT: Jess AndWesH

Quote Originally Posted by ionone View Post
    yeah sorry

At no point is it said the fragrance will turn black, only that it darkens with age, which is true. They're talking specifically about the fragrance Love Don't Be Shy, and aren't claiming that other Kilian fragrances will darken. It's not even a selling point. They're just noting this as a fun fact.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowartisttxl View Post
    The answer is yes.

yeah sorry

Thanks for the link. I am not familiar with "Love Don't Be Shy" but it does look like the liquid itself is infact of a red-brownish color - somewhat corroborated by photos like this. It certainly wouldn't be unheared of that coloured (naturally or artificially) fragrances turn darker in colour over time but normally I would expect that to happen gradually over the course of many years though. As far as I know modern flacons are usually getting UV-coated to protect the liquid inside from sunlight. According to the guy Kilian talked about a carafe, so maybe that not being UV-protected plays a role here. Some ingredients are more photo sensitive then others.

Sometimes artificially colored fragrances turn into something entirely unexcpected too. A famous example for that would be Serge Lutens Chergui turning from a nice red-brown to green.
    Currently wearing: Ébène by Pierre Balmain

Basenotes Plus

I used to have a decant of Love, Don’t Be Shy and it had a lot of vanilla in it, so it’s not surprising this one would darken over time. This has happened to other vanilla fragrances I have as well.

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

They’re releasing perfume called:

Let’s Settle this Argument like Adults, in the Bedroom, Naked

and

I Never Make the Same Mistake Twice, Unless They’re Crazy Hot

So yes, I have to imagine on some level, they’re absolutely positively bullshitting us. Unless Kilian Hennessy has strict new protocols that he won’t officially name a perfume unless he’s consumed a half dozen Four Loko and just as many adderall.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Just enjoy the smell and forget the color.
    This.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Dependent

I've never seen a Kilian with black - or even close-to-black - juice. I suppose that the juice could darken over time, but I'd be surprised if it really turns black. The bottles are (mostly) painted black which makes it a little bit harder to see the liquid. I'm not sure about the reason for this, but I do like the presentation overall.

This being said, I have not owned a bottle long enough to assess any changes in color.

Fragrances can change color by time, it depends on the ingredients.

I've posted a thread where I've shown that with Parfums de Marly Herod: https://www.basenotes.net/threads/47...Rant-included)

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowartisttxl View Post
    The answer is yes.
    In a sense, yes, by default because all persuasion is bullshit. Less about if you are persuaded than by what.
    Sometimes I just agree with people so they can stop talking. — Jet Li
    Currently wearing: L'Autre Oud by Lancôme

In answer to your question, yes... from day one.

Banned

Yes. And it doesn't begin and end with the colour of their juice, either. They're the most 'bullshit' brand going in my opinion. All style no substance. Also, the style is gaudy and so inimical to the status of French perfumery.
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

Steve Assus didn`t say that the juice turns black... he just said that it turns darker (which is true with some fragrances)....

Quote Originally Posted by Alpedra View Post
    Steve Assus didn`t say that the juice turns black... he just said that it turns darker (which is true with some fragrances)....
    Yes. Which is true with Kilian's Love in particular.

Banned

I watched the video clip. It's funny.

The Kilian rep is clearly doing his sales pitch/speech that clearly works on the kind of ignorant customer the brand is aiming for. Unfortunately, the youtuber interrupts him as if what he's saying isn't in fact impressive, and it takes the wind right out of the sails of the sales spiel.

Funny.
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

Basenotes Plus

I remember in a video from Brooklyn Fragrance Lover with the spokeperson of Kilian, Steve Assous, after a question from Carlos about the black juices, Steve said that he went into Kilian's office regularly and some perfume juice was going blacker and blacker
    now we all know that Kilian's juices aren't black, only some of the bottles are tinted to look like the juice is black

No Kilian fragrance that I have ever tried makes me think of the color black. :/ (Regardless of the bottle color, which TBH, I thought was deep blue? I haven't seen the Kilian bottles in a long time now though..it's been a long time since I went out to a brick and mortar store to try expensive niche fragrances!)
    I'm not sure what colors they are all evocative of to me, but I can't recall one that seemed "black" in any case!
    I think "Love, Don't be Shy!" seems red, or maybe hot pink! And, I think "Good Girl Gone Bad" makes me think of orange. (Although I'd need to smell it again to be sure.)
    I seem to remember there was at least one very musky one, and that was maybe kind of black.