Code of Conduct
Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 300 of 649
  1. #271

    Default Re: Vintage fragrance I bought today

    So this arrived last night... love the scent.. now I want the EDT of course

    Gucci_1.jpg

  2. #272
    Dependent nosey74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Wisconsin & Florida
    Posts
    1,490

    Default Re: Vintage fragrance I bought today

    Quote Originally Posted by masonjarjar View Post
    So this arrived last night... love the scent.. now I want the EDT of course

    Gucci Pour Homme Aftershave
    Congrats. I have the same version/presentation but in cologne form and it's great!

  3. #273
    The Devil in the Details
    Zealot Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle/Bellevue WA
    Posts
    12,202
    Blog Entries
    10

    Default Re: Vintage fragrance I bought today

    IMG_20210121_152207_491.jpg

    Pre-coty Obsession for Men.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil

  4. #274

    Default Re: Vintage fragrance I bought today

    Quote Originally Posted by nosey74 View Post
    Congrats. I have the same version/presentation but in cologne form and it's great!
    Seems to have held up real well!

  5. #275
    Basenotes Plus
    The Cologne Cabinet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,466

    Default Re: Vintage fragrance I bought today

    Azzaro Pour Homme EDT spray -

    "Parfums Loris Azzaro SA Paris" is printed on the front in a single line.
    This indicates a first version released sometime between 1978 and 1985.


    IMG_6815.jpg


    As I clicked "Buy It Now", I got to thinking. What if you could go back in time to 1978 (you trippin'?) when this was newly released and tell the SA at the counter how in around 40 years grown men would be clambering away on keyboards while staring at a glowing TV screen late into the night to hunt down this very fragrance for a fist full of cash.

    I'm sure that would be something....especially after she decked you and called security. Freaky deaky, man.

    “Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.”
    ― Mark Twain

  6. #276
    Dependent nosey74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Wisconsin & Florida
    Posts
    1,490

    Default Re: Vintage fragrance I bought today

    Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post

    Pre-coty Obsession for Men.
    Nice! Do you know if the bottle with the integrated sprayer and distributed by Calvin Klein Cosmetics Corp is any good?



    Quote Originally Posted by masonjarjar View Post
    Seems to have held up real well!
    I concur.



    Quote Originally Posted by The Cologne Cabinet View Post
    Azzaro Pour Homme EDT spray -

    "Parfums Loris Azzaro SA Paris" is printed on the front in a single line.
    This indicates a first version released sometime between 1978 and 1985.



    Congrats!

  7. #277
    The Devil in the Details
    Zealot Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle/Bellevue WA
    Posts
    12,202
    Blog Entries
    10

    Default Re: Vintage fragrance I bought today

    Quote Originally Posted by nosey74 View Post
    Nice! Do you know if the bottle with the integrated sprayer and distributed by Calvin Klein Cosmetics Corp is any good?
    This is actually that version, by Calvin Klein Cosmetics. Rounder bottle, solid brown cap. The integrated sprayers were early Minnetonka made bottles. Unilever bought Minnetonka in 89 and by 93 had ditched the integrated sprayer on Obsession for Men, changed graphics on the bottles to the smaller CK font and realigned everything to match the appearance of cK One (1994) which launched the following year.

    Any solid tan tops cap or integrated are OG formula until 2002 "treemoss" era (which is when caps went clear brown, bottles got narrower, and Unilever went under Calvin Klein Cosmetics. I'd call that "second formula", which Coty kept when they got CK from Unilever until the 2011+ mossless version appeared.

    I've smelled them all and recently bought "second formula" from The Cologne Cabinet. Differences are slight between all versions prior to the removal of oakmoss, which then makes the scent thinner. OG tan cap is a powerhouse for sure, but the early clear caps still smell good too.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil

  8. #278
    Basenotes Plus

    JON RODGERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    29,451

    Default Re: Vintage fragrance I bought today




    Probably the most natural smelling pine fragrance I have ever experienced. Works beautifully on a cold and frosty day like today

  9. #279
    All Is Beautiful
    thrilledchilled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Virginia, Florida
    Posts
    7,540

    Default Re: Vintage fragrance I bought today

    Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post



    Probably the most natural smelling pine fragrance I have ever experienced. Works beautifully on a cold and frosty day like today
    Congratulations. Looks fantastic.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

  10. #280
    Basenotes Plus

    JON RODGERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    29,451

    Default Re: Vintage fragrance I bought today

    Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    Congratulations. Looks fantastic.
    Many thanks

  11. #281
    Basenotes Plus
    The Cologne Cabinet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,466

    Default Re: Vintage fragrance I bought today

    Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    I've smelled them all and recently bought "second formula" from The Cologne Cabinet. Differences are slight between all versions prior to the removal of oakmoss, which then makes the scent thinner. OG tan cap is a powerhouse for sure, but the early clear caps still smell good too.
    I've only experienced the OG with oakmoss on others and it has to be the most abundantly rich smelling men's fragrance ever.

    “Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.”
    ― Mark Twain

  12. #282
    Heaven's made of oakmoss
    Marand75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    3,429

    Default Re: Vintage fragrance I bought today

    Quote Originally Posted by The Cologne Cabinet View Post
    I've only experienced the OG with oakmoss on others and it has to be the most abundantly rich smelling men's fragrance ever.
    Is the vanilla heavy in the original, CC? Does it contain vanilla at all? I'd love to have a bottle but I absolutely hate vanilla in fragrances.
    Non IFRA Compliant & proud of it!

  13. #283
    Basenotes Plus
    The Cologne Cabinet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,466

    Default Re: Vintage fragrance I bought today

    Quote Originally Posted by Marand75 View Post
    Is the vanilla heavy in the original, CC? Does it contain vanilla at all? I'd love to have a bottle but I absolutely hate vanilla in fragrances.
    No, Obsession is heavy on the Amber. I would say if you hate Vanilla then you probably would be on the fence with this one. If you’re curious, finding a vintage sample is still fairly easy on EBay.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    “Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.”
    ― Mark Twain

  14. #284
    Basenotes Plus

    AlphaFrank75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    New Jersey Shore
    Posts
    2,285

    Default Re: Vintage fragrance I bought today

    Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    This is actually that version, by Calvin Klein Cosmetics. Rounder bottle, solid brown cap. The integrated sprayers were early Minnetonka made bottles. Unilever bought Minnetonka in 89 and by 93 had ditched the integrated sprayer on Obsession for Men, changed graphics on the bottles to the smaller CK font and realigned everything to match the appearance of cK One (1994) which launched the following year.

    Any solid tan tops cap or integrated are OG formula until 2002 "treemoss" era (which is when caps went clear brown, bottles got narrower, and Unilever went under Calvin Klein Cosmetics. I'd call that "second formula", which Coty kept when they got CK from Unilever until the 2011+ mossless version appeared.

    I've smelled them all and recently bought "second formula" from The Cologne Cabinet. Differences are slight between all versions prior to the removal of oakmoss, which then makes the scent thinner. OG tan cap is a powerhouse for sure, but the early clear caps still smell good too.
    I was looking at Obsession sometime ago and ended up putting it on hold because of all the different stickers on the bottom.
    1. Calvin Klein Cosmetics
    2. Calvin Klein Cosmetics Co, Dist
    3. Calvin Klein Cosmetics dist by Unilever Cosmetics, Intl

    plus the Coty bottles. And then there's what I'll call the pill shaped bottle, which I assume is the OG version???

    Edit: After doing some more digging I'm guessing the pill shaped bottle is Obsession for women.
    Last edited by AlphaFrank75; 22nd January 2021 at 06:16 PM.
    Currently wearing: Équipage by Hermès

  15. #285
    Dependent nosey74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Wisconsin & Florida
    Posts
    1,490

    Default Re: Vintage fragrance I bought today

    Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    This is actually that version, by Calvin Klein Cosmetics. Rounder bottle, solid brown cap. The integrated sprayers were early Minnetonka made bottles. Unilever bought Minnetonka in 89 and by 93 had ditched the integrated sprayer on Obsession for Men, changed graphics on the bottles to the smaller CK font and realigned everything to match the appearance of cK One (1994) which launched the following year.

    Any solid tan tops cap or integrated are OG formula until 2002 "treemoss" era (which is when caps went clear brown, bottles got narrower, and Unilever went under Calvin Klein Cosmetics. I'd call that "second formula", which Coty kept when they got CK from Unilever until the 2011+ mossless version appeared.

    I've smelled them all and recently bought "second formula" from The Cologne Cabinet. Differences are slight between all versions prior to the removal of oakmoss, which then makes the scent thinner. OG tan cap is a powerhouse for sure, but the early clear caps still smell good too.
    Thanks - much appreciated! You are a wealth of fragrance knowledge and a valuable resource!

  16. #286
    Heaven's made of oakmoss
    Marand75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    3,429

    Default Re: Vintage fragrance I bought today

    Quote Originally Posted by The Cologne Cabinet View Post
    No, Obsession is heavy on the Amber. I would say if you hate Vanilla then you probably would be on the fence with this one. If you’re curious, finding a vintage sample is still fairly easy on EBay.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks, mayn!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaFrank75 View Post
    I was looking at Obsession sometime ago and ended up putting it on hold because of all the different stickers on the bottom.
    1. Calvin Klein Cosmetics
    2. Calvin Klein Cosmetics Co, Dist
    3. Calvin Klein Cosmetics dist by Unilever Cosmetics, Intl

    plus the Coty bottles. And then there's what I'll call the pill shaped bottle, which I assume is the OG version???
    I'm totally confused by this as well
    Non IFRA Compliant & proud of it!

  17. #287
    Basenotes Plus
    The Cologne Cabinet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,466

    Default Re: Vintage fragrance I bought today

    Quote Originally Posted by Marand75 View Post
    Thanks, mayn!I'm totally confused by this as well
    There are a few threads on here that talk about all the box / bottle variations as we have several members who know everything there is to know about it. Check it out.

    “Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.”
    ― Mark Twain

  18. #288

    Default Re: Vintage fragrance I bought today

    Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post

    Probably the most natural smelling pine fragrance I have ever experienced. Works beautifully on a cold and frosty day like today
    If you enjoy Epciea, you should consider Windsor as well. Eucalyptus isn't too far off from pine.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

    Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

    Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

  19. #289
    Dependent AlanG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    2,439

    Default Re: Vintage fragrance I bought today

    B91E6A06-8F87-4FDB-84B4-3F64E780F125.jpg

    Based on ZC’s superb review, I just picked up (if I’m reading CZ’s review correctly) the original clear-bottle Eau de Toilette release of PdM Lippizan.
    Thank you for the review ZC, and pointing this one out.
    It’s fantastic.

  20. #290
    I’m not old, I’m vintage.
    PStoller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    5,465

    Default Re: Vintage fragrance I bought today

    XjI.jpg

    Xerjoff Irisss

    A backup bottle for Dr. T.
    Currently wearing: Wild Country by Avon

  21. #291

    Default Re: Vintage fragrance I bought today

    Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    XjI.jpg

    Xerjoff Irisss

    A backup bottle for Dr. T.
    Where did you find this one? It's a rarity to find these bottles now. One of the finest irises scents ever made.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

    Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

    Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

  22. #292
    I’m not old, I’m vintage.
    PStoller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    5,465

    Default Re: Vintage fragrance I bought today

    Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Where did you find this one?
    eBay.
    Currently wearing: Wild Country by Avon

  23. #293
    Basenotes Plus

    purecaramel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    in a garden with 7 senses
    Posts
    5,004

    Default Re: Vintage fragrance I bought today

    1.7 oz Bugatti by DdSilva 1992 Frosted Bugatti grill.

    Been using a lot over the last couple of weeks.
    Is a never run out scent for me!
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.
    Currently wearing: Incense Oud by Nicolaï

  24. #294
    The Devil in the Details
    Zealot Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle/Bellevue WA
    Posts
    12,202
    Blog Entries
    10

    Default Re: Vintage fragrance I bought today

    Quote Originally Posted by AlanG View Post
    B91E6A06-8F87-4FDB-84B4-3F64E780F125.jpg

    Based on ZC’s superb review, I just picked up (if I’m reading CZ’s review correctly) the original clear-bottle Eau de Toilette release of PdM Lippizan.
    Thank you for the review ZC, and pointing this one out.
    It’s fantastic.
    You're welcome. Some of PdM's better scents are the ones nobody talks about, like this one, Darley, Godolphin, and Akaster.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil

  25. #295
    The Devil in the Details
    Zealot Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle/Bellevue WA
    Posts
    12,202
    Blog Entries
    10

    Default Re: Vintage fragrance I bought today

    Quote Originally Posted by The Cologne Cabinet View Post
    I've only experienced the OG with oakmoss on others and it has to be the most abundantly rich smelling men's fragrance ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marand75 View Post
    Is the vanilla heavy in the original, CC? Does it contain vanilla at all? I'd love to have a bottle but I absolutely hate vanilla in fragrances.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cologne Cabinet View Post
    No, Obsession is heavy on the Amber. I would say if you hate Vanilla then you probably would be on the fence with this one. If you’re curious, finding a vintage sample is still fairly easy on EBay.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaFrank75 View Post
    I was looking at Obsession sometime ago and ended up putting it on hold because of all the different stickers on the bottom.
    1. Calvin Klein Cosmetics
    2. Calvin Klein Cosmetics Co, Dist
    3. Calvin Klein Cosmetics dist by Unilever Cosmetics, Intl

    plus the Coty bottles. And then there's what I'll call the pill shaped bottle, which I assume is the OG version???

    Edit: After doing some more digging I'm guessing the pill shaped bottle is Obsession for women.
    Quote Originally Posted by nosey74 View Post
    Thanks - much appreciated! You are a wealth of fragrance knowledge and a valuable resource!
    I wouldn't go too far into minutae because the many sticker variants and small graphical changes don't affect the formula.

    For example, 1 & 2 are Minnetonka labels, 3 is when Unilever completely bought and absorbed Minnetonka into Unilever. Manufacturing plants and formula didn't change during this time and besides the cosmetic switch from integrated sprayer to cap and "for men" logo changed from large to small print only in 94 onward, which is still well before any serious IFRA mandates. In short, you're still dealing with OG shortlist Obsession and all version 1. This is the nuclear juice, darkest juice. Dries down to a sticky amber smoothed by a big chunk of soapy linalool.

    When 2002-2011 "treemoss" IFRA era began, Obsession switched to clear brown caps and had oakmoss listed on long ingredients box. Coty also took over for Unilever too, so there are some late Unilever bottles in this design but most are gonna be Coty. This is all formula 2 Smells 90% the same as formula 1 with some loss of performance and in the late stage of the wear has a sweeter cleaner edge than formula 1. Linalool was famously overdosed in Obsession, which is why it is so smooth and polished for an oriental. Here, that polish is more obvious with the rollback of oakmoss.

    After 2011, no oakmoss listed, lighter juice, all formula 3. Thinner scent overall, but still smells recognizably like Obsession, just without the beastmode performance or depth. The amber is pretty thin and sugary here, and this becomes noticeably sweeter and cleaner in the base with the pullback of all the restricted materials. A lower quality musk is used here too, not the real rich fatty stuff of versions 1 and 2.

    As for vanilla, it has some, so you may want to sample to be sure. Once again, I want to iterate that the 20 thousand minor graphical or labelling tweaks don't mean 20 thousand minute rerformulations. This is Obsession guys, not Aventus. XD
    Last edited by Zealot Crusader; 26th January 2021 at 12:02 AM.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil

  26. #296
    I’m not old, I’m vintage.
    PStoller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    5,465

    Default Re: Vintage fragrance I bought today

    Dykil.jpg

    Lenthéric - Dykil

    Not something you see often.


    CC-CAB-Sample.jpg

    Clive Christian - Crab Apple Blossom

    Technically far from vintage, but my main interest is in comparing it to the 19th century original and the 1990s reedition.
    Currently wearing: Wild Country by Avon

  27. #297

    Default Re: Vintage fragrance I bought today

    Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    Dykil.jpg



    Clive Christian - Crab Apple Blossom

    Technically far from vintage, but my main interest is in comparing it to the 19th century original and the 1990s reedition.
    I received a generous sample of this recently, it's on my list to try in the coming days.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

    Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

    Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

  28. #298
    Super Member MajorColognel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    138

    Default Re: Vintage fragrance I bought today

    2 more. On their way home.

    Total 4 x Polo Crest 118ml EDT Spray
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Currently wearing: Polo Crest by Ralph Lauren

  29. #299

    Default Re: Vintage fragrance I bought today

    Quote Originally Posted by MajorColognel View Post
    2 more. On their way home.

    Total 4 x Polo Crest 118ml EDT Spray
    4?! Daaamn.

    I really want to give it a nostril...that's for sure!
    Only some wear the perfume, the rest use it...

  30. #300
    Heaven's made of oakmoss
    Marand75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    3,429

    Default Re: Vintage fragrance I bought today

    Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    I wouldn't go too far into minutae because the many sticker variants and small graphical changes don't affect the formula.

    For example, 1 & 2 are Minnetonka labels, 3 is when Unilever completely bought and absorbed Minnetonka into Unilever. Manufacturing plants and formula didn't change during this time and besides the cosmetic switch from integrated sprayer to cap and "for men" logo changed from large to small print only in 94 onward, which is still well before any serious IFRA mandates. In short, you're still dealing with OG shortlist Obsession. all version 1. This is the nuclear juice, darkest juice. Dries down to a sticky amber smoothed by a big chunk of soapy linalool.

    When 2002-2011 "treemoss" IFRA era began, Obsession switched to clear brown caps and had oakmoss listed on long ingredients box.Coty also took over for Unilever too, so there are some late Unilever bottles in this design but most are gonna Coty. This is all formula 2 Smells 90% the same as formula 2 with some loss of performance and in the late stage of the wear has a sweeter cleaner edge than formula 1. Linalool was famously overdosed in Obsession, which is why it is so smooth and polished for an oriental. Here, that polish is more obvious with the rollback of oakmoss.

    After 2011, no oakmoss listed, lighter juice, all formula 3. Thinner scent overall, but still smells recognizably like Obsession, just without the beastmode performance or depth. The amber is pretty thin and sugary here, and this becomes noticeably sweeter and cleaner in the base with the pullback of all the restricted materials. A lower quality musk is used here too, not the real rich fatty stuff of versions 1 and 2.

    As for vanilla, it has some, so you may want to sample to be sure. Once again, I want to iterate that the 20 thousand minor graphical or labelling tweaks don't mean 20 thousand minute rerformulations. This is Obsession guys, not Aventus. XD
    Excellent! I get it now Graçias, Señor!
    Non IFRA Compliant & proud of it!




Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Today I bought January 2021
    By N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 309
    Last Post: 2nd February 2021, 09:23 PM
  2. Why did you wear what you wore today.. January 2021
    By N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer in forum General Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 417
    Last Post: 1st February 2021, 08:58 PM
  3. Today, I'm particularly enjoying... January 2021
    By N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer in forum General Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 273
    Last Post: 1st February 2021, 08:58 PM
  4. Today I bought January 2021
    By N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 27th January 2021, 11:19 AM
  5. Just bought another fragrance today. Help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    By ferrari_63074 in forum Yahoo Groups Messages
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 17th July 2001, 09:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000