Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast

Default Re: Vintage fragrance I bought today

So this arrived last night... love the scent.. now I want the EDT of course

Gucci_1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by masonjarjar View Post
    So this arrived last night... love the scent.. now I want the EDT of course

Gucci Pour Homme Aftershave
    Congrats. I have the same version/presentation but in cologne form and it's great!

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

IMG_20210121_152207_491.jpg

Pre-coty Obsession for Men.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil

Quote Originally Posted by nosey74 View Post
    Congrats. I have the same version/presentation but in cologne form and it's great!
    Seems to have held up real well!

Basenotes Plus

Azzaro Pour Homme EDT spray -

"Parfums Loris Azzaro SA Paris" is printed on the front in a single line.
    This indicates a first version released sometime between 1978 and 1985.

IMG_6815.jpg

As I clicked "Buy It Now", I got to thinking. What if you could go back in time to 1978 (you trippin'?) when this was newly released and tell the SA at the counter how in around 40 years grown men would be clambering away on keyboards while staring at a glowing TV screen late into the night to hunt down this very fragrance for a fist full of cash.

I'm sure that would be something....especially after she decked you and called security. Freaky deaky, man.

“Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.”
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post

Pre-coty Obsession for Men.
    Nice! Do you know if the bottle with the integrated sprayer and distributed by Calvin Klein Cosmetics Corp is any good?

Quote Originally Posted by masonjarjar View Post
    Seems to have held up real well!
    I concur.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cologne Cabinet View Post
    Azzaro Pour Homme EDT spray -

"Parfums Loris Azzaro SA Paris" is printed on the front in a single line.
    This indicates a first version released sometime between 1978 and 1985.

Congrats!

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Nice! Do you know if the bottle with the integrated sprayer and distributed by Calvin Klein Cosmetics Corp is any good?
    This is actually that version, by Calvin Klein Cosmetics. Rounder bottle, solid brown cap. The integrated sprayers were early Minnetonka made bottles. Unilever bought Minnetonka in 89 and by 93 had ditched the integrated sprayer on Obsession for Men, changed graphics on the bottles to the smaller CK font and realigned everything to match the appearance of cK One (1994) which launched the following year.

Any solid tan tops cap or integrated are OG formula until 2002 "treemoss" era (which is when caps went clear brown, bottles got narrower, and Unilever went under Calvin Klein Cosmetics. I'd call that "second formula", which Coty kept when they got CK from Unilever until the 2011+ mossless version appeared.

I've smelled them all and recently bought "second formula" from The Cologne Cabinet. Differences are slight between all versions prior to the removal of oakmoss, which then makes the scent thinner. OG tan cap is a powerhouse for sure, but the early clear caps still smell good too.

Basenotes Plus

Probably the most natural smelling pine fragrance I have ever experienced. Works beautifully on a cold and frosty day like today

All Is Beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post

Probably the most natural smelling pine fragrance I have ever experienced. Works beautifully on a cold and frosty day like today
    Congratulations. Looks fantastic.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    Congratulations. Looks fantastic.
    Many thanks

Basenotes Plus

I've smelled them all and recently bought "second formula" from The Cologne Cabinet. Differences are slight between all versions prior to the removal of oakmoss, which then makes the scent thinner. OG tan cap is a powerhouse for sure, but the early clear caps still smell good too.
    I've only experienced the OG with oakmoss on others and it has to be the most abundantly rich smelling men's fragrance ever.

“Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.”
    ― Mark Twain

Heaven's made of oakmoss

I've only experienced the OG with oakmoss on others and it has to be the most abundantly rich smelling men's fragrance ever.
    Is the vanilla heavy in the original, CC? Does it contain vanilla at all? I'd love to have a bottle but I absolutely hate vanilla in fragrances.
    Non IFRA Compliant & proud of it!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Marand75 View Post
    Is the vanilla heavy in the original, CC? Does it contain vanilla at all? I'd love to have a bottle but I absolutely hate vanilla in fragrances.
    No, Obsession is heavy on the Amber. I would say if you hate Vanilla then you probably would be on the fence with this one. If you’re curious, finding a vintage sample is still fairly easy on EBay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

― Mark Twain

Basenotes Plus

This is actually that version, by Calvin Klein Cosmetics. Rounder bottle, solid brown cap. The integrated sprayers were early Minnetonka made bottles. Unilever bought Minnetonka in 89 and by 93 had ditched the integrated sprayer on Obsession for Men, changed graphics on the bottles to the smaller CK font and realigned everything to match the appearance of cK One (1994) which launched the following year.

Any solid tan tops cap or integrated are OG formula until 2002 "treemoss" era (which is when caps went clear brown, bottles got narrower, and Unilever went under Calvin Klein Cosmetics. I'd call that "second formula", which Coty kept when they got CK from Unilever until the 2011+ mossless version appeared.

I was looking at Obsession sometime ago and ended up putting it on hold because of all the different stickers on the bottom.
    1. Calvin Klein Cosmetics
    2. Calvin Klein Cosmetics Co, Dist
    3. Calvin Klein Cosmetics dist by Unilever Cosmetics, Intl

plus the Coty bottles. And then there's what I'll call the pill shaped bottle, which I assume is the OG version???

Edit: After doing some more digging I'm guessing the pill shaped bottle is Obsession for women.
    Last edited by AlphaFrank75; 22nd January 2021 at 06:16 PM.
    Currently wearing: Équipage by Hermès

Thanks - much appreciated! You are a wealth of fragrance knowledge and a valuable resource!

Heaven's made of oakmoss

No, Obsession is heavy on the Amber. I would say if you hate Vanilla then you probably would be on the fence with this one. If you’re curious, finding a vintage sample is still fairly easy on EBay.

Thanks, mayn!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaFrank75 View Post
    I was looking at Obsession sometime ago and ended up putting it on hold because of all the different stickers on the bottom.

plus the Coty bottles. And then there's what I'll call the pill shaped bottle, which I assume is the OG version???
    I'm totally confused by this as well

Basenotes Plus

Thanks, mayn!I'm totally confused by this as well
    There are a few threads on here that talk about all the box / bottle variations as we have several members who know everything there is to know about it. Check it out.

― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post

If you enjoy Epciea, you should consider Windsor as well. Eucalyptus isn't too far off from pine.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

B91E6A06-8F87-4FDB-84B4-3F64E780F125.jpg

Based on ZC’s superb review, I just picked up (if I’m reading CZ’s review correctly) the original clear-bottle Eau de Toilette release of PdM Lippizan.
    Thank you for the review ZC, and pointing this one out.
    It’s fantastic.

I’m not old, I’m vintage.

XjI.jpg

Xerjoff Irisss

A backup bottle for Dr. T.
    Currently wearing: Wild Country by Avon

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    XjI.jpg

Xerjoff Irisss

A backup bottle for Dr. T.
    Where did you find this one? It's a rarity to find these bottles now. One of the finest irises scents ever made.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Where did you find this one?
    eBay.

Basenotes Plus

1.7 oz Bugatti by DdSilva 1992 Frosted Bugatti grill.

Been using a lot over the last couple of weeks.
    Is a never run out scent for me!
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.
    Currently wearing: Incense Oud by Nicolaï

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AlanG View Post
    B91E6A06-8F87-4FDB-84B4-3F64E780F125.jpg

Based on ZC’s superb review, I just picked up (if I’m reading CZ’s review correctly) the original clear-bottle Eau de Toilette release of PdM Lippizan.
    Thank you for the review ZC, and pointing this one out.
    It’s fantastic.
    You're welcome. Some of PdM's better scents are the ones nobody talks about, like this one, Darley, Godolphin, and Akaster.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaFrank75 View Post

Edit: After doing some more digging I'm guessing the pill shaped bottle is Obsession for women.
    Thanks - much appreciated! You are a wealth of fragrance knowledge and a valuable resource!
    I wouldn't go too far into minutae because the many sticker variants and small graphical changes don't affect the formula.

For example, 1 & 2 are Minnetonka labels, 3 is when Unilever completely bought and absorbed Minnetonka into Unilever. Manufacturing plants and formula didn't change during this time and besides the cosmetic switch from integrated sprayer to cap and "for men" logo changed from large to small print only in 94 onward, which is still well before any serious IFRA mandates. In short, you're still dealing with OG shortlist Obsession and all version 1. This is the nuclear juice, darkest juice. Dries down to a sticky amber smoothed by a big chunk of soapy linalool.

When 2002-2011 "treemoss" IFRA era began, Obsession switched to clear brown caps and had oakmoss listed on long ingredients box. Coty also took over for Unilever too, so there are some late Unilever bottles in this design but most are gonna be Coty. This is all formula 2 Smells 90% the same as formula 1 with some loss of performance and in the late stage of the wear has a sweeter cleaner edge than formula 1. Linalool was famously overdosed in Obsession, which is why it is so smooth and polished for an oriental. Here, that polish is more obvious with the rollback of oakmoss.

After 2011, no oakmoss listed, lighter juice, all formula 3. Thinner scent overall, but still smells recognizably like Obsession, just without the beastmode performance or depth. The amber is pretty thin and sugary here, and this becomes noticeably sweeter and cleaner in the base with the pullback of all the restricted materials. A lower quality musk is used here too, not the real rich fatty stuff of versions 1 and 2.

As for vanilla, it has some, so you may want to sample to be sure. Once again, I want to iterate that the 20 thousand minor graphical or labelling tweaks don't mean 20 thousand minute rerformulations. This is Obsession guys, not Aventus. XD
    Last edited by Zealot Crusader; 26th January 2021 at 12:02 AM.

Dykil.jpg

Lenthéric - Dykil

Not something you see often.

CC-CAB-Sample.jpg

Clive Christian - Crab Apple Blossom

Technically far from vintage, but my main interest is in comparing it to the 19th century original and the 1990s reedition.

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    Dykil.jpg

Clive Christian - Crab Apple Blossom

Technically far from vintage, but my main interest is in comparing it to the 19th century original and the 1990s reedition.
    I received a generous sample of this recently, it's on my list to try in the coming days.

2 more. On their way home.

Total 4 x Polo Crest 118ml EDT Spray
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Currently wearing: Polo Crest by Ralph Lauren

Quote Originally Posted by MajorColognel View Post
    2 more. On their way home.

Total 4 x Polo Crest 118ml EDT Spray
    4?! Daaamn.

I really want to give it a nostril...that's for sure!
    Only some wear the perfume, the rest use it...

Heaven's made of oakmoss

I wouldn't go too far into minutae because the many sticker variants and small graphical changes don't affect the formula.

For example, 1 & 2 are Minnetonka labels, 3 is when Unilever completely bought and absorbed Minnetonka into Unilever. Manufacturing plants and formula didn't change during this time and besides the cosmetic switch from integrated sprayer to cap and "for men" logo changed from large to small print only in 94 onward, which is still well before any serious IFRA mandates. In short, you're still dealing with OG shortlist Obsession. all version 1. This is the nuclear juice, darkest juice. Dries down to a sticky amber smoothed by a big chunk of soapy linalool.

When 2002-2011 "treemoss" IFRA era began, Obsession switched to clear brown caps and had oakmoss listed on long ingredients box.Coty also took over for Unilever too, so there are some late Unilever bottles in this design but most are gonna Coty. This is all formula 2 Smells 90% the same as formula 2 with some loss of performance and in the late stage of the wear has a sweeter cleaner edge than formula 1. Linalool was famously overdosed in Obsession, which is why it is so smooth and polished for an oriental. Here, that polish is more obvious with the rollback of oakmoss.

After 2011, no oakmoss listed, lighter juice, all formula 3. Thinner scent overall, but still smells recognizably like Obsession, just without the beastmode performance or depth. The amber is pretty thin and sugary here, and this becomes noticeably sweeter and cleaner in the base with the pullback of all the restricted materials. A lower quality musk is used here too, not the real rich fatty stuff of versions 1 and 2.

As for vanilla, it has some, so you may want to sample to be sure. Once again, I want to iterate that the 20 thousand minor graphical or labelling tweaks don't mean 20 thousand minute rerformulations. This is Obsession guys, not Aventus. XD
    Excellent! I get it now Graçias, Señor!

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast