Code of Conduct
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 210 of 317
  1. #181
    Iím not old, Iím vintage.
    PStoller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    5,183

    Default Re: Vintage fragrance I bought today - Q1 2021

    Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    I like it more than Edition, which is blasphemy in this place.
    Not by me. Nothing against Edition, which I quite enjoy, but I think I prefer DfM, Blend 30, and vintage London Cologne.
    Currently wearing: Sagamore by LancŰme

  2. #182
    The Devil in the Details
    Zealot Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle/Bellevue WA
    Posts
    11,966
    Blog Entries
    10

    Default Re: Vintage fragrance I bought today - Q1 2021

    Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    Not by me. Nothing against Edition, which I quite enjoy, but I think I prefer DfM, Blend 30, and vintage London Cologne.
    Blend 30 is Morabito Or Black's British uncle. London is an ultracorn so naturally I haven't smelled it.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil

  3. #183

    Default Re: Vintage fragrance I bought today - Q1 2021

    Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    That's the good stuff. Imagine if you will, a leather fragrance that has barbershop qualities like RG pH, but is still a leather. 1934 was the wild west for men's fragrance apparently.
    At the risk of creating more demand, did your original comment include the newer stuff? Mine has black cap top only. Checked batch code and this is a new one, it say Nov 2021, which hasn't happened!!! Then says reused so presumably Nov 2011. I was thinking I bought it cheap in a set with shave stuff maybe 5-6 years ago so it could be 2011.

    This also re-confused me after looking at the directory. Long back I bought what I thought was Dunhill for Men and later found it's really "Dunhill Man". It's greyish colored in a kind of flask bottle. It's pretty good in an old school way, but not what I thought it was. What is confusing is if you do a search you will find it for sale easily, but it's not in the directory. I just spotted today that when I wore and did the wardrobe update I picked Dunhill Signature, probably because the bottle shape is the same (Pure also), but I don't think that is the same. Anyone know the story, did they do "Man" as an updated version of Men in the 70s or 80s? And why isn't it in the directory?
    Currently wearing: Cefiro by Floris

  4. #184
    The Devil in the Details
    Zealot Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle/Bellevue WA
    Posts
    11,966
    Blog Entries
    10

    Default Re: Vintage fragrance I bought today - Q1 2021

    Quote Originally Posted by woodnotes55 View Post
    At the risk of creating more demand, did your original comment include the newer stuff? Mine has black cap top only. Checked batch code and this is a new one, it say Nov 2021, which hasn't happened!!! Then says reused so presumably Nov 2011. I was thinking I bought it cheap in a set with shave stuff maybe 5-6 years ago so it could be 2011.

    This also re-confused me after looking at the directory. Long back I bought what I thought was Dunhill for Men and later found it's really "Dunhill Man". It's greyish colored in a kind of flask bottle. It's pretty good in an old school way, but not what I thought it was. What is confusing is if you do a search you will find it for sale easily, but it's not in the directory. I just spotted today that when I wore and did the wardrobe update I picked Dunhill Signature, probably because the bottle shape is the same (Pure also), but I don't think that is the same. Anyone know the story, did they do "Man" as an updated version of Men in the 70s or 80s? And why isn't it in the directory?
    Dunhill "Man" is called Dunhill Signature in some markets, so it's listed as that on Basenotes.

    As for your query about the most recent Dunhill for Men (1934) production, that's good stuff too. The black band stuff is really old. Pre-Scannon stuff. Older than that is all pour bottles.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil

  5. #185
    Dependent allkindsofwatches1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,124

    Default Re: Vintage fragrance I bought today - Q1 2021

    Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    Not by me. Nothing against Edition, which I quite enjoy, but I think I prefer DfM, Blend 30, and vintage London Cologne.
    Yes, blend 30, DfM, Edition....in that order.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  6. #186
    Basenotes Plus
    Diddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Bayou Country
    Posts
    6,453

    Default Re: Vintage fragrance I bought today - Q1 2021

    Quote Originally Posted by allkindsofwatches1 View Post
    Yes, blend 30, DfM, Edition....in that order.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Out of all the old Dunhills, I have to agree that Blend 30 is my favorite. I do prefer Edition over DfM but I can live without both of them quite honestly. Thereís nothing wrong with them. I just donít reach for them much, and B30 is the only one I think Iíd be upset about not owning.
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

  7. #187
    Dependent allkindsofwatches1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,124

    Default Re: Vintage fragrance I bought today - Q1 2021

    Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    Out of all the old Dunhills, I have to agree that Blend 30 is my favorite. I do prefer Edition over DfM but I can live without both of them quite honestly. Thereís nothing wrong with them. I just donít reach for them much, and B30 is the only one I think Iíd be upset about not owning.
    Especially since it's just about impossible to find. As far as I can tell.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  8. #188
    Heaven's made of oakmoss
    Marand75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    3,252

    Default Re: Vintage fragrance I bought today - Q1 2021

    Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    Amen. But we still smell amazing. And I donít think your heads-up was out of bounds either and I certain hope it didnít read that way.




    Cheers to that, and hopefully it arrives in perfect order and smelling amazing!




    Iím the same way, really. If thereís something thatís difficult to find Iíll discuss it privately. But I think most of whatís discussed are items that can be easily found at somewhat reasonable prices. Youíre right about sellers not being able to distinguish between hype and general praise. But Iíll also say this... keep being you. I canít recall any time that your praise has affected my purchases. Sometimes people tend to get bent out of shape over things they shouldnít. Years ago I had someone chastise me for singing the praises of Dolce&Gabbana Pour Homme. Like, really? Since when has DGPH been something to keep secret for fear of prices going up? The prices are already up. Now, if I find a jewel for cheap, then Iíd simply spread the word via PM and we could then wax poetic after everyone has gotten what they want. But me saying that Azzaro PH is one of the greatest menís fragrances ever will likely have zero affect on current prices. I enjoy your excitement. Donít change.
    Exactly what I mean. We pretty much see eye-to-eye on this. My pop said, that sometimes someone'll always get uptight just for the sake of being uptight, having a big ol' lemon for a mouth - "what's up with that lemon-tooter of yours, huh?!"
    Anyway, thanks for the kind words also, Diddy!
    Non IFRA Compliant & proud of it!

  9. #189
    Dependent nosey74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Wisconsin & Florida
    Posts
    1,317

    Default Re: Vintage fragrance I bought today - Q1 2021

    Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    It's a fave for me. I like it more than Edition, which is blasphemy in this place.
    Not blasphemous to me either but I do prefer Edition over it.

    I bought this version of Dunhill For Men in summer of 2017 and didn't care for it - maybe I need to try a different version?

    jpg.jpg

  10. #190
    Always be smelling

    epapsiou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Oud Forest
    Posts
    6,703

    Default Re: Vintage fragrance I bought today - Q1 2021

    Quote Originally Posted by nosey74 View Post
    Not blasphemous to me either but I do prefer Edition over it.

    I bought this version of Dunhill For Men in summer of 2017 and didn't care for it - maybe I need to try a different version?

    jpg.jpg
    I, too, prefer edition followed by 30 and then this 1934.
    You got EdT. That is not what you want. At least get EDC (i think they stopped making edc a couple years ago) but better to get vintage EDC.
    While the base is similar the top of vintage EDC is really amazing. Best top in Dunhill line. Unfortunately, it goes downhill pretty fast IMO.

    This is EDC - https://www.ebay.com/itm/264989833176

    And this is the one with amazing top (if stored well) - https://www.ebay.com/itm/184511972341

    I would not pay over $40 though
    This is my version with great top notes.
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit

  11. #191
    Dependent nosey74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Wisconsin & Florida
    Posts
    1,317

    Default Re: Vintage fragrance I bought today - Q1 2021

    Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    I, too, prefer edition followed by 30 and then this 1934.
    You got EdT. That is not what you want. At least get EDC (i think they stopped making edc a couple years ago) but better to get vintage EDC.
    While the base is similar the top of vintage EDC is really amazing. Best top in Dunhill line. Unfortunately, it goes downhill pretty fast IMO.

    This is EDC - https://www.ebay.com/itm/264989833176

    And this is the one with amazing top (if stored well) - https://www.ebay.com/itm/184511972341

    I would not pay over $40 though
    This is my version with great top notes.
    Thank you that is very helpful

  12. #192
    The Devil in the Details
    Zealot Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle/Bellevue WA
    Posts
    11,966
    Blog Entries
    10

    Default Re: Vintage fragrance I bought today - Q1 2021

    Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    I, too, prefer edition followed by 30 and then this 1934.
    You got EdT. That is not what you want. At least get EDC (i think they stopped making edc a couple years ago) but better to get vintage EDC.
    While the base is similar the top of vintage EDC is really amazing. Best top in Dunhill line. Unfortunately, it goes downhill pretty fast IMO.

    This is EDC - https://www.ebay.com/itm/264989833176

    And this is the one with amazing top (if stored well) - https://www.ebay.com/itm/184511972341

    I would not pay over $40 though
    This is my version with great top notes.
    Definitely more than a few years since the EdC was discontinued and relaunched as EdT, because Scannon even produced the EdT for a while, and it's been years since Scannon had the license. I have no exact dates though.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil

  13. #193
    All Is Beautiful
    thrilledchilled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Virginia, Florida
    Posts
    7,324

    Default Re: Vintage fragrance I bought today - Q1 2021

    bought this one. I love it. It's fantastic. Not that I care but I don't think it's femme at all.

    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

  14. #194
    Basenotes Plus
    Diddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Bayou Country
    Posts
    6,453

    Default Re: Vintage fragrance I bought today - Q1 2021

    Quote Originally Posted by Marand75 View Post
    Exactly what I mean. We pretty much see eye-to-eye on this. My pop said, that sometimes someone'll always get uptight just for the sake of being uptight, having a big ol' lemon for a mouth - "what's up with that lemon-tooter of yours, huh?!"
    Anyway, thanks for the kind words also, Diddy!
    Youíre welcome. Itís easy having a kind word towards someone so kind. Took little effort on my part really. The only way you could ever disappoint me is by changing. I appreciate people being enthusiastic about fragrance. Even if our tastes differ, we are all here because of our passion behind interesting smells.
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

  15. #195
    Iím not old, Iím vintage.
    PStoller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    5,183

    Default Re: Vintage fragrance I bought today - Q1 2021

    I ordered a Carlo Corinto from FragranceNet:

    CC.jpg

    What arrived was Carlo Corinto Classic:

    CCC.jpg

    From what I've read here, the "Classic" reformulation is a diminished product, so I plan to return it. Has anyone found otherwise?
    Currently wearing: Sagamore by LancŰme

  16. #196
    Basenotes Plus

    AlphaFrank75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    New Jersey Shore
    Posts
    2,209

    Default Re: Vintage fragrance I bought today - Q1 2021

    Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    I ordered a Carlo Corinto from FragranceNet:

    CC.jpg

    What arrived was Carlo Corinto Classic:

    CCC.jpg

    From what I've read here, the "Classic" reformulation is a diminished product, so I plan to return it. Has anyone found otherwise?
    I got caught buying something from FragNet based on their site's photo. What I received didn't match either. From that day forward I always assume what is shown on their site will be a current version.
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

  17. #197
    Iím not old, Iím vintage.
    PStoller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    5,183

    Default Re: Vintage fragrance I bought today - Q1 2021

    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaFrank75 View Post
    I got caught buying something from FragNet based on their site's photo. What I received didn't match either. From that day forward I always assume what is shown on their site will be a current version.
    Well, in this regard, FragranceNet is inconsistent. They do, in fact, sell some vintage fragrances on eBay. I suppose I'll just have to contact them first from now on to check.
    Currently wearing: Sagamore by LancŰme

  18. #198
    Dependent nosey74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Wisconsin & Florida
    Posts
    1,317

    Default Re: Vintage fragrance I bought today - Q1 2021

    Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    Well, in this regard, FragranceNet is inconsistent. They do, in fact, sell some vintage fragrances on eBay. I suppose I'll just have to contact them first from now on to check.
    FragranceNet has surprised me both positively (sending me vintages) and negatively (not sending what was pictured). More recently, I ordered a flacon of Bois du Portugal based on the picture and what I got was the newest version - it wasn't terrible and the price was great so I kept it. Another time I ordered a bottle of Thierry Mugler A*Men and they sent me a gift set instead. Good idea to ask first because you never know what you're gonna get.

  19. #199
    Dependent allkindsofwatches1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,124

    Default Re: Vintage fragrance I bought today - Q1 2021

    I found this half full bottle for a decent price I guess . I just had to have it .

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  20. #200
    Wearing Perfume Right Now
    Bavard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    3,195

    Default Re: Vintage fragrance I bought today - Q1 2021

    Nice find, All Kinds of Watches 1!

  21. #201
    Basenotes Plus
    The Cologne Cabinet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,283

    Default Re: Vintage fragrance I bought today - Q1 2021

    IMG_6599.jpg

    Charles Jourdan Un Homme

    Had this on my wish list and found a decent deal for 100ml. Definitely enjoying it after a few wears. Although, I can understand why it faded quickly after release in 1979 on the eve of the powerhouse era as it can best be described as "understated" wearing very close to the skin. For me, I like that quality and am perfectly fine with it just smelling good.

    ďAlways do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.Ē
    ― Mark Twain
    Currently wearing: Open by Roger & Gallet

  22. #202

    Default Re: Vintage fragrance I bought today - Q1 2021

    Quote Originally Posted by allkindsofwatches1 View Post
    I found this half full bottle for a decent price I guess . I just had to have it
    How much did you get it for? That looks wonderful.

    Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    bought this one. I love it. It's fantastic. Not that I care but I don't think it's femme at all.

    Serge Lutens released this under the same name years later. I wonder how the Shiseido formulation compares to the SL.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

    Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

    Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

  23. #203
    The Devil in the Details
    Zealot Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle/Bellevue WA
    Posts
    11,966
    Blog Entries
    10

    Default Re: Vintage fragrance I bought today - Q1 2021

    Quote Originally Posted by The Cologne Cabinet View Post
    IMG_6599.jpg

    Charles Jourdan Un Homme

    Had this on my wish list and found a decent deal for 100ml. Definitely enjoying it after a few wears. Although, I can understand why it faded quickly after release in 1979 on the eve of the powerhouse era as it can best be described as "understated" wearing very close to the skin. For me, I like that quality and am perfectly fine with it just smelling good.
    This is the US release with the cupped spray button. Notice "Eau de Toilette" and 100 ml 3.4oz below compared to the Canada/Europe bottles with flat spray button, "Vaporisateur Naturel" and no size indicated on front. Same juice either way, just interesting production changes. Glad people are giving this the proper love it deserves here.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil

  24. #204
    Basenotes Plus
    The Cologne Cabinet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,283

    Default Re: Vintage fragrance I bought today - Q1 2021

    Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    This is the US release with the cupped spray button. Notice "Eau de Toilette" and 100 ml 3.4oz below compared to the Canada/Europe bottles with flat spray button, "Vaporisateur Naturel" and no size indicated on front. Same juice either way, just interesting production changes. Glad people are giving this the proper love it deserves here.
    It is interesting to look back and see what ended up being popular and what faded away. I’m assuming poor marketing and lack of brand name recognition in the perfume space sank this one’s ship especially with Azzaro as a competitor.

    ďAlways do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.Ē
    ― Mark Twain
    Currently wearing: Open by Roger & Gallet

  25. #205
    All Is Beautiful
    thrilledchilled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Virginia, Florida
    Posts
    7,324

    Default Re: Vintage fragrance I bought today - Q1 2021

    Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    How much did you get it for? That looks wonderful.



    Serge Lutens released this under the same name years later. I wonder how the Shiseido formulation compares to the SL.
    people say (of course) that the first one, the Shiseido, is better and has a better dry down. Who knows. But the Shiseido is the one I sought out because of what I heard and it is absolutely marvelous.

    Serge Lutens supposedly designed the (incredible) bottle...
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

  26. #206
    The Devil in the Details
    Zealot Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle/Bellevue WA
    Posts
    11,966
    Blog Entries
    10

    Default Re: Vintage fragrance I bought today - Q1 2021

    Quote Originally Posted by The Cologne Cabinet View Post
    It is interesting to look back and see what ended up being popular and what faded away. I’m assuming poor marketing and lack of brand name recognition in the perfume space sank this one’s ship especially with Azzaro as a competitor.
    People STILL don't know this ever even existed. I mentioned to a traffic cop (stationed near my building for a while) who shared my interest in fragrances that I was wearing Charles Jourdan and he goes "those look like Sketchers to me". I said no, they made a men's fragrance. That about sums up why it failed.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil

  27. #207
    Basenotes Plus
    The Cologne Cabinet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,283

    Default Re: Vintage fragrance I bought today - Q1 2021

    Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    People STILL don't know this ever even existed. I mentioned to a traffic cop (stationed near my building for a while) who shared my interest in fragrances that I was wearing Charles Jourdan and he goes "those look like Sketchers to me". I said no, they made a men's fragrance. That about sums up why it failed.
    HA, yep that seals it....

    ďAlways do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.Ē
    ― Mark Twain
    Currently wearing: Open by Roger & Gallet

  28. #208
    Iím not old, Iím vintage.
    PStoller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    5,183

    Default Re: Vintage fragrance I bought today - Q1 2021

    Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    People STILL don't know this ever even existed. I mentioned to a traffic cop (stationed near my building for a while) who shared my interest in fragrances that I was wearing Charles Jourdan and he goes "those look like Sketchers to me". I said no, they made a men's fragrance. That about sums up why it failed.
    Hell, most guys don't even know Jourdan made shoes.
    Currently wearing: Sagamore by LancŰme

  29. #209
    The Devil in the Details
    Zealot Crusader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle/Bellevue WA
    Posts
    11,966
    Blog Entries
    10

    Default Re: Vintage fragrance I bought today - Q1 2021

    Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    Hell, most guys don't even know Jourdan made shoes.
    The heels. They were so insane they both helped give Jourdan it's notoriety in the 80's, and helped sink the name into the 90's (along with negligent spendthrift kids driving daddy's company into the ground).
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil

  30. #210

    Default Re: Vintage fragrance I bought today - Q1 2021

    Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Dunhill "Man" is called Dunhill Signature in some markets, so it's listed as that on Basenotes.

    As for your query about the most recent Dunhill for Men (1934) production, that's good stuff too. The black band stuff is really old. Pre-Scannon stuff. Older than that is all pour bottles.

    Thanks for the reply. I must have figured out at some point it was Signature as I have that in wardrobe, but didn't recall. Part of the issue is it looks wrong, mine is a pale gray and the directory one is kind of pale orange looking.

    Back to for Men, that's good to hear as am happy with what I have and no need to add to the "looking for" list.

    One thing I do find annoying about the Dunhills, there is nothing useful on the bottle. Both of them have a label on bottom with size, producer info, etc, but it does not list the name of the fragrance. The bottle doesn't either except to say "Dunhill". I never realized it mattered for ID'ng, version/reformulation, or even selling and very rarely kept boxes. So I have no idea and can't tell if this is the EDT or the EDC. From what I remember it came in a gift set type box which didn't look like any of the ones shown in this thread. I can't think of another non-vintage fragrance that has no useful info on the bottle excepting ones where the stickers have fallen off.....
    Currently wearing: Cefiro by Floris




Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Why did you wear what you wore today.. January 2021
    By N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer in forum General Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 345
    Last Post: Today, 03:35 PM
  2. Today, I'm particularly enjoying... January 2021
    By N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer in forum General Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 224
    Last Post: Today, 03:31 PM
  3. Today I bought January 2021
    By N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: Today, 11:19 AM
  4. Today I bought January 2021
    By N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 278
    Last Post: Today, 04:57 AM
  5. Just bought another fragrance today. Help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    By ferrari_63074 in forum Yahoo Groups Messages
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 17th July 2001, 09:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000