Code of Conduct
Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Default Re: Name the fragrance you tried/smelled today for the first time - 2021

Under Lemon Tree by Maison Margiela

Nice scent, would not wear it though, has something bitter that I'd a hard time pulling of.
    Currently wearing: Chergui by Serge Lutens

Default Re: Name the fragrance you tried/smelled today for the first time - 2021

House of Matriarch Bonsai. Christmas tree, juniper, cypress, green scent....with now, a tad of sweetness. I have it sprayed on a strip and perched on my desk and it's just filling up my office. It's sooooo good. I'll have to give it an actual full wearing before long to see how I feel with it on me.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Marc-Antoine Barrois B683 Extrait
    3. Mugler Over the Musk
    4. Zadig & Voltaire This is Him!
    5. Tiziana Terenzi Ursa

Prada Luna Rossa Black - I smelled this on someone a few months ago and I thought it was some type of LeMale flanker. It smelled so good, I had to ask them what it was and they said "Prada Black." I finally got around to ordering it and couldn't be more pleased. As with most Prada fragrances, this one smells clean, even though it's a darker fragrance. Extremely smooth and dry. It surrounds you in a wonderful cloud of Tonka and Amber. Incense is not a listed note, but the way the notes in this one interplay together, I also get an impression of everything lying on an extremely fine bed of incense. Projection and longevity are just right for me. I can see the comparisons to Bulgari Black and MIP, they are in the same neighborhood but different. I was not a fan of either of those, but very much enjoy Prada Black. It’s easily one of the best designer scents I've smelled in years.

Quote Originally Posted by cpp214 View Post
    Prada Luna Ross Black - I smelled this on someone a few months ago and I thought it was some type of LeMale flanker. It smelled so good, I had to ask them what it was and they said "Prada Black." I finally got around to ordering it and couldn't be more pleased. As with most Prada fragrances, this one smells clean, even though it's a darker fragrance. Extremely smooth and dry. It surrounds you in a wonderful cloud of Tonka and Amber. Incense is not a listed note, but the way the notes in this one interplay together, I also get an impression of everything lying on an extremely fine bed of incense. Projection and longevity are just right for me. One of the best designer scents I've smelled in years.
    Yes, this one is quite good from the Luna Rossa line, but it keeps getting pushed down on my to buy list.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    3. Mugler Over the Musk
    5. Tiziana Terenzi Ursa

Just received Imperial By Boadicea The Victorious today and have been wearing it for about three hours or so. I have to say the presentation was good in a box with the bottle lying on a bed of silk. And the bottle is quite striking with it's Celtic design!

On the opening I get fresh spicy lavender and Oud. The Oud reminds me of the Oud in Sahraa Oud by Fragrance Du Bois but much lighter and aromatic. From the Oud I can smell a slight rose and sweetness and this is the heart of the scent. It's quite intricate as here and there I can pick up other notes like leather and woods.

Eventually it becomes very woody and spicy whilst been very easy to wear. It's a very light wearing scent. And that oudy rosy heart is always there. It smells very classy and chic. I would say the scent is reminiscent and has the same vibe as Tom Fords Oud Wood and Royal Oud by Creed. But having better ingreients than both of them.

The star of the show is the slightly sweet rosy Oud which seems to be the heart of the scent. All in all very lovely and chic. I like it a lot!
    "There's No School Like The Old School."

My Current Favorites

1. Imperial By Boadicea the Victorious
    2. Eau de Guerlain Cologne
    3. Terre d Hermes Pure Parfum
    4. Habit Rouge L'Eau
    5. Guerlain Vetiver

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

Fierce Night by Abercrombie & Fitch. If you like Fierce, you may like it. I did, though it's a little boring.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

Basenotes Plus

Guerlain - Mouchoir de Monsieur

My blind bought bottle arrived today. Oh my goodness. I love it! At least in the opening, I just applied it!

I fell hard for Jicky recently and was reading how similar this one is to it. I've read conflicting info about the civet being MORE pronounced in MdM, and also LESS pronounced.

So far it's very similar in the opening, that lavender blast - but maybe not as sweet or quite intense with that sweet lavender near-licorice smell.

Edit: So yeah, it's very similar to Jicky. Maybe not as sweet. It seems to have an added powdery type aspect to it - Habit Rouge comes to mind. Like Jicky-lite + Habit Rouge-lite? It's lovely. I get the civet, but I don't find it (so far ~50 mins after applying) as challenging/halitosis-y as Jicky is around this stage of development.

Edit: if I did a timeline comparison of Jicky and MdM, it'd be something like this:
    MdM: Civet/Lavender but not in your face -> civet is noticeable, but never a big blast, smooth and contained -> add some dandy powder-esque Habit Rouge-vibe to the mix.
    Jicky: LICORICE & LAVENDER BURST -> calms down -> SURPRISE, MASSIVE CIVET! -> civet dies down, incoming primarily vanilla Guerlain goodness!

I was confused over reviews regarding the civet in MdM - there's people saying it's more civet heavy than Jicky, and other people saying Jicky is more civet heavy. I think I understand why! MdM has a more prolonged noticeable civet aspect, but it's calmer and way easier on the nose, and elongated throughout the wear. Jicky has a POW of civet that seems to all but disappear after a bit. So I guess the reviews are both right in a sense.

Last edited by ILikePeeps; 24th February 2021 at 06:39 PM.
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Plus

Pineward Steading
    Smells like a really nice fresh cigar. Sweet Tobacco. This is real tobacco folks none of that Pure Havana, Naxos, Tobacco Vanille nonsense. Not something I would necessarily wear but I definitely love the wafts I get of it every so often.
    Current Spring Favorites:
    Roja Parfums Elysium Parfum-Cologne
    Roja Parfums Danger Parfum Pour Homme
    Roja Parfums Diaghilev
    Roja Parfums Oligarch
    Amouage Reflection Man
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Viking
    Byredo Bal d'Afrique
    MFK Aqua Universalis Forte
    MFK Aqua Vita Forte
    Dior Sauvage
    Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche
    Currently wearing: Reflection Man by Amouage

Geo F Trumper - Bay Rum
    I get cloves for about 10-15 minutes. Then nothing.

Boucheron pour Homme EdT.

Got a bottle of this yesterday and have been testing it a bit. Quite different from what I expected but I like it a lot.

I'm happy to say it's not the opulent, complex melange of accords that I half-feared it would be. Instead it's a very fresh, unpretentiously focused lemon drying down to something reminding me a bit of Cerruti 1881 Man (this part at least I knew to expect). Not at all as powdery as I thought it would be (maybe the EdP is?).
    Spray less, love more.

Kiehl's Original Musk

Kiehl musk.jpg

Enjoyed that one, I'm getting more and more attracted to musky fragrances. The first and only musk I've tried was Musc Ravageur (which i quite liked, was quite unique smell for me at that time and still is), believe it or not.
    Sure bottle worthy. I just personnaly need to consider if I need it for specific reasons or just as a easy reach all year round

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Para Lux - Loved it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Junkie

Fleur de peau

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk
    1. Sandalo by Lorenzo Villoresi
    2. Eau D'Hederin by Annick Goutal
    3. Neroli Portofino by Tom ford
    4. Gris Clair by Serge Lutens
    5. L'Ombre Dans L'Eau by Diptyque
    6. Colonia by Acqua di Parma
    7. Scandal by Roja
    8. Sublime Vanille by Creed
    9. Moon Safari by Memo
    10. Pour Homme by Paco Robanne

My vintage Hermes - Equipage 25ml just arrived.

We're not gonna be friends.
    The aldehydes and the white flowers are still too strong for me.

20210225_160442.jpg
    Currently wearing: Jaďpur Homme by Boucheron

Guerlain Bois d'Armenie because it was on the Guerlain counter the other day. They don't have any bottles of it for sale in the entire company, so my SA made me two samples of it.
    Currently wearing: French Affair by Ex Nihilo

Dune by Dior

Probably smelled it passively somewhere in the street or in my surroundings before. Very nice green scent. Fresh but has character, seems quite versatile and definitely has a classy vibe.

Baptisma - Loved it
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

These two just arrived. I wasn't sure how and whether they would arrive together, but fortunately they did. They both came from Kuwait, but different areas. One was shipped via FedEx, the other via TNT which I haven't any experience with (though it's currently phasing into FedEx.) For the record, TNT's tracking is much less informative. The last update before this morning I received showed the package received in Dubai, I believe. Both packages were in the same location at one point, but there were no further updates to TNT's tracking until going through customs required notification and even then, it didn't say where exactly it was. Fortunately, FedEx delivered them both minutes before noon (which was the delivery time for one.)

First, the packaging on Royal Oud isn't what I was expecting - but I'm not going to complain because it's the scent that matters (though it does kind of make me wish I sprung for the deluxe with the attar.) The scent itself, coming straight from the bottle, smells a lot more "funk" than from a spray sample. It takes a few minutes before settling down, but it's sooooo dammmmmmmmn nice. For the record, the seller dropped the price on the bottles by almost $35. I do need to check and see if I can find loose oil online as this is also known as Al Oud Al Malaki per the back of the box. Oh yeah, that packaging... it's just a typical designer box you'd expect from a designer house. Nothing fancy, which makes the bottle and scent itself appear very unassuming from the box alone.

Al Fareed, on the other hand - the packaging is very impressive. The bottle itself is a thing of beauty and weighs 1.2lbs itself. I've only spritzed a bit on the back of my hand about 10 minutes ago and this feels like it's going to be fairly versatile with regards to wearing in different seasons as it doesn't seem too heavy and has some bright citrus on top. I do get some violet in the mix which gives it a nice, classy vibe and I'm starting to get a little bit of the ambergris, vanilla and oud. I'll be giving this a full wearing tomorrow and anxious to see how it wears. Overall, it's very nice and has something familiar about it - almost in a Lalique Hommage a L'Homme way as they share several notes - but this is much more polished, smooth and luxurious smelling.

EDIT: For the record, the Royal Oud bottle weighs the exact same as the Al Fareed bottle, despite being 20ml less (80ml vs 100ml.) In comparison, the Rochas Moustache Eau de Parfum 125ml bottle weighs 1.4lbs, only .2 lbs more.

IMG_5313.jpg
    Find out Wassup! In Las Vegas here --> https://www.wassupinlasvegas.com The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com
    Currently wearing: Journey Man by Amouage

Byredo La Selle. On paper, this smells like my mom's potato salad (aka dill). On skin, it smells like my mom's potato salad spilled on a nice leather couch. Does remind me of Santal 33 although it's been a while since I smelled that one. Both seem to have a kind of pickle brining spice vibe with woody/leather undertones. Pretty quiet for a leather scent, but with that, the dill note and the house's roots I'm getting it's got a bit of a spare, austere Nordic (as opposed to Oriental?) vibe. It's nice but I like my leathers big and brawny.
    “I have often observed that [scents] cause an alteration in me and work upon my spirits according to their several virtues; which makes me approve of what is said, that the use of incense and perfumes in churches, so ancient and so universally received in all nations and religions, was intended to cheer us, and to rouse and purify the senses, the better to fit us for contemplation” - Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by ImaFedec View Post
    Kiehl's Original Musk

Kiehl musk.jpg

Enjoyed that one, I'm getting more and more attracted to musky fragrances. The first and only musk I've tried was Musc Ravageur (which i quite liked, was quite unique smell for me at that time and still is), believe it or not.
    Sure bottle worthy. I just personnaly need to consider if I need it for specific reasons or just as a easy reach all year round
    Check out Over the Musk by Mugler. Great stuff!
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    3. Mugler Over the Musk
    5. Tiziana Terenzi Ursa

Salvatore Ferragamo F Pour Homme Black, it’s a leaky bottle oh joy back to the store it goes the smell is decent but packaging and bottle are crap.
    Current Top Favorites:

Ralph Lauren Polo
    Azzaro Pour Homme
    Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum 2017
    Chanel Bleu De Chanel EDT
    Chanel Egoiste
    Costume National Homme
    Hermes Bel Ami
    Guerlain Habit Rouge EDT
    Caron Le 3čme Homme
    Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche EDP
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

Basenotes Plus

Le Galion - Sang Bleu

So far.. it's a winner! It is indeed like a.. more polite slightly modernized Kouros. Awesome!

That opening is fan-freaking-tastic. I got her to smell it, and she was like "Oooooh.. that one is up there with Aventus and Sauvage." Which she considers her top two to smell on me. Kind of surprising!

Nice stuff. Seems it was discontinued?

Edit: Man, it has this very nice fruity-esque smell to it also. It's very prominent in the opening, then dies down. But you can smell it - it mingles with the urinous type drydown that Kouros is known for (but lighter in presentation here). It's like that honeyed drydown-lite, PLUS this... fruity herbal smell, it's great. I'm not sure what I'm smelling - maybe geranium/orange/wormwood? I really am not sure!

Last edited by ILikePeeps; 26th February 2021 at 04:15 AM.
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Quote Originally Posted by deltasun View Post
    Check out Over the Musk by Mugler. Great stuff!
    Thanks for the suggestion I checked it out and it does look very appealing. Unfortunately, I can't find it in any store or even decant/sample webistes likes scentsplits or ausliebezumduft. But have to say, at the moment I'm more looking for a soft, versatile and cheap musk (i'm going to compare Kiehl's one today with White Musk for men by Bodyshop).

Today, I tried Figuier d'Eden by Armani Privé
    Very nice, light/fresh/fruity (but not overwhelming fruity) fragrance. I would maybe have liked the fig to be more prominent? Would have been bottle worthy for myself if it wasn't as expensive

Hermes H24 and I fall in love

Heresy - Loved it.

Basenotes Junkie

Jo Malone Wood Sage Sea Salt

First time wearing this, but smelled before years ago. I like it. The fragrances this reminds me of are prolly not considered similar at all, but without testing them side by side I'm reminded of the fresh aspects from Eau Duelle EdT or Ambre Nuit or something else I'm forgetting. I get a citrusy tinge that's comparable to Womens Light Blue maybe, although theres more nuance to this scent IMO. Somewhat dry, fresh, not sour or sharp but not sweet either. I like it

AdP Mandorlo di Sicilia

Kinda smells like Health Food Store Root Beer, with a sign that says 'Only 10G of Sugar' or something indicating it's not as sweet as most in its genre. I also get hints of Cocoa or Coffee or something that's darker that's adding to the sweetness, but that could be the Almond, I havent tried many Almond scents. Anyways, nice enough, its pleasant and smooth, I like it. Almost seems like a Niche Armani Code Profumo

Basenotes Plus

Valentino V Pour Homme

It's very pleasant and easy to like. Smells super familiar, but not sure what - like Gucci Guilty Pour Homme or something?

I get a peppery/cedar-y smell, sweetness (but not cloying/hefty). A bit airy.

All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Junkie

Maison Tahité Vanilla˛

Got this after enjoying Sel Vanille from the same house. Both seem formulated with nasal feel being a priority; some niche Vanilla scents I've tried are very dry, but Maison Tahité manages to add some wetness to keep it smoother for deep inhales of the scent, while still maintaining a Vanilla centric aroma.

This one is more Gourmand leaning than Sel Vanille, the Praline note is very noticeable and most likely the most appropiate use of it that I've smelled so far, it just seems correctly used here. I'm not too big of a fan of it but yeah it smells 'correct'.

So yeah all in all I just basically get a slightly boozy smelling Chocolatey Vanilla scent. It doesnt really smell all that much like Chocolate Greedy or Sorriso in terms of details, but as a whole I'd consider it in the same genre. I actually smell more chocolate candy here than both of those, whereas those smell more cocoa-ish.

Performance so far is great for how smooth it smells, just like Sel Vanille. Both somehow jump off the skin and I question how because I dont get much synthetic harshness that would suggest they could be performing that well.

Yeah it's a like so far. Nothing's smelling overly feminine or masculine to me if you like Sweet fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by d r e View Post
    AdP Mandorlo di Sicilia

Kinda smells like Health Food Store Root Beer, with a sign that says 'Only 10G of Sugar' or something indicating it's not as sweet as most in its genre. I also get hints of Cocoa or Coffee or something that's darker that's adding to the sweetness, but that could be the Almond, I havent tried many Almond scents. Anyways, nice enough, its pleasant and smooth, I like it. Almost seems like a Niche Armani Code Profumo
    I loved the first 30 mins of Mandorlo, in all its rootbeer fizziness. When that wore off and the almond kicked in, I was put off. Just artificial marzipan flavor to me. Smooth yes, but also cloying and strong to my nose.

Alphaora - Loved it.

Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast