Code of Conduct
Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast

Default Re: Name the fragrance you tried/smelled today for the first time - 2021

Quote Originally Posted by cheapimitation View Post
    I'm going to have my BN card revoked for not having tried it sooner but...

I tried Fahrenheit.

Years ago before being into fragrance I sprayed it at the mall and remember not liking it, but despite it being almost annoyingly well loved on here I hadn't tried it again since. I found myself at an Ulta beauty and decided it is time.

Damn, it really does smell like gasoline! lol

I thought maybe the gas note was subtle or something that would require a bit of imagination, but no it really smells like lawnmower gasoline and grass clippings. I can see the connection from an overdoes of violet leaf turning into gasoline. I love how smooth this is, a lot of more modern designer have synthetic notes that are scratchy or harsh, this smells synthetic but totally smooth and elegant.

What I really love is the way it makes something uber manly out of flowers. On the other side of that mower is a patch of beautiful violets, as it dries down it gets a lot softer and more floral to me. I like that it doesn't rely on any typical manly tropes like woods, ambrox, shaving foam etc. Really nice, I think I'll get a bottle!

Attachment 150628
    Fire with gasoline.

I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.

Default Re: Name the fragrance you tried/smelled today for the first time - 2021

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    Burberry Weekend for Men

Hmmmmmm, okay, this so far is like one I 'shouldn't' like as much as I do, but something about it triggers nostalgia or so with me.

It smells like my childhood somehow, or like a shampoo or soap or some other product that I used when I was a kid.

It's not some highly technical fragrance, but it's comforting - to me. I enjoy this.

I used to like this until I started finding the pineapple note very strong and synthetic. My favorites Burberrys from the “designer” male line are Touch and Brit, followed by London.
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.

Amouage Jubilation XXV - a blind buy, and my first Amouage, so this was a bit of a risk but boy did it pay off. I haven't been stunned by a fragrance in a while, both in terms of quality and unique, original character. It does remind me of a few things, but they are all fairly different from one another: Straight to Heaven, Tuscan Leather, and Italian Cypress all come to mind. There's a definite 80s powerhouse vibe to it, but also the more Middle Eastern incense and resin vibe. And then there's the cool, green, fruity blackberry bush, like a cool breeze snaking through the incense and everything else. Man this is great. Amouage is a house I've wanted to try for a long time, and I'm very impressed!
    “I have often observed that [scents] cause an alteration in me and work upon my spirits according to their several virtues; which makes me approve of what is said, that the use of incense and perfumes in churches, so ancient and so universally received in all nations and religions, was intended to cheer us, and to rouse and purify the senses, the better to fit us for contemplation” - Montaigne

Roja Britannia - 2015 Bottle
    Most amazing, fresh, citrus and peach, with a chocolate drydown I have ever experienced.

Roja Enigma Parfum Cologne
    Early days still, but I think I might actually prefer this to the Extrait.

Parfum Cologne is very fresh.

I like that about this one, the Extrait is too spice heavy.

Will need to check the performance on this one before pulling the trigger, but so far I prefer this to the Extrait.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by cheapimitation View Post
    I'm going to have my BN card revoked for not having tried it sooner but...

I tried Fahrenheit.

Years ago before being into fragrance I sprayed it at the mall and remember not liking it, but despite it being almost annoyingly well loved on here I hadn't tried it again since. I found myself at an Ulta beauty and decided it is time.

Damn, it really does smell like gasoline! lol

I thought maybe the gas note was subtle or something that would require a bit of imagination, but no it really smells like lawnmower gasoline and grass clippings. I can see the connection from an overdoes of violet leaf turning into gasoline. I love how smooth this is, a lot of more modern designer have synthetic notes that are scratchy or harsh, this smells synthetic but totally smooth and elegant.

What I really love is the way it makes something uber manly out of flowers. On the other side of that mower is a patch of beautiful violets, as it dries down it gets a lot softer and more floral to me. I like that it doesn't rely on any typical manly tropes like woods, ambrox, shaving foam etc. Really nice, I think I'll get a bottle!

Attachment 150628
    Nice, get it!

Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    I used to like this until I started finding the pineapple note very strong and synthetic. My favorites Burberrys from the “designer” male line are Touch and Brit, followed by London.
    Haha holy cow! I think last night I was sniffing it and I thought of pineapple, but I didn't bother to look at notes to see it or not, and I didn't want to edit the post and mention pineapple get a bunch of attention and any Aventus involvement. There actually is a pineapple note in this? If so, I 100% noticed it and it stood out to me, and it actually smelled like legitimate pineapple to me - it was direct, not a candied take or something. Very interesting! I'm gonna go look at notes (again). Thanks!
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Plus

Montblanc - Legend Spirit

Mmm, very nice opening! It smells like Legend, yes, but it smells nice and soft with a pleasant sweetness. I was thinking this was going to be a harsh 'astringent' citrus blast or something, but nope.

Very soon after I get a more soapy smell. Definitely interested in how it wears/evolves.

Edit: Something in this catches me off guard when smelling up close. It's like a used clothes/dirty sock or something type of smell, I don't like that, haha. Don't know what's causing it!

On another note I'm wearing a sample of Invictus (original) - it starts off like a pleasant grape cough syrup or something. This is easy to like.

dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Junkie

Montblanc - Legend Spirit

Mmm, very nice opening! It smells like Legend, yes, but it smells nice and soft with a pleasant sweetness. I was thinking this was going to be a harsh 'astringent' citrus blast or something, but nope.

Very soon after I get a more soapy smell. Definitely interested in how it wears/evolves.

Edit: Something in this catches me off guard when smelling up close. It's like a used clothes/dirty sock or something type of smell, I don't like that, haha. Don't know what's causing it!

On another note I'm wearing a sample of Invictus (original) - it starts off like a pleasant grape cough syrup or something. This is easy to like.

I notice the dirty part in Legend Spirit too, most reviewers don't seem to though. Seems like one of those to spray behind the neck or something because I did find it pleasant as a whole.

And nice, I love Invictus. I've spent a few years trying to figure out the notes, sometimes I can see the grape syrup, the bubble gum, etc. but whatever it is smells great to me lol.

Today I got AdP Vaniglia
    Smells pretty unique actually, not the usual Vanilla scent. I'm mostly getting some odd Bright Citrusy note on top that's blending with the Vanilla, almost like Mancera Black Vanilla. It's not what I was expecting but I like it so far for something different

All Is Beautiful

I blind-bought this:

love it.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

Basenotes Junkie

Pacifica Dream Moon
    Reminiscent of BR540, pretty nice

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Montaigne - Loved it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

DS & Durga Jazmin Yucatan. Descriptions of this are spot-on. It's a strong jasmine. Very tropical-green with notes I can't identify, but do remind me of my trip to the Yucatan. Something tequila or mezcal, maybe fresh-cut agave in the notes? It's a fun scent that conjures up a lot of images for me. Would make a great vacation scent for jasmine lovers. Not sure I would wear it much, but entertaining.

Haha holy cow! I think last night I was sniffing it and I thought of pineapple, but I didn't bother to look at notes to see it or not, and I didn't want to edit the post and mention pineapple get a bunch of attention and any Aventus involvement. There actually is a pineapple note in this? If so, I 100% noticed it and it stood out to me, and it actually smelled like legitimate pineapple to me - it was direct, not a candied take or something. Very interesting! I'm gonna go look at notes (again). Thanks!
    Yes, there is. Actually I have a hard time with pineapple notes such as apple. They smell very synthetic to me, with few exceptions like Ambre Narguilé and Un Jardin Sur Le Toit. I like the synthetic smelling pineapple from Black XS L’Excess too

Ahh, I'm very curious to try this one and their new vetiver. I really like Cowboy Grass but found a lot of their other fragrances just meh. I looked into buying a sample online but they are wayyyyyy over priced ($10 for 1.5m WTF!!!!), I'll just wait till I move back to NYC next month and visit the boutique.

Actually their fragrances overall are overpriced when I think of what else you could buy in the $260 for 100ml range. But, many of the older ones can be found of discounters. I think I paid about $100 for Cowboy Grass which I consider a great buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian5701 View Post
    DS & Durga Jazmin Yucatan. Descriptions of this are spot-on. It's a strong jasmine. Very tropical-green with notes I can't identify, but do remind me of my trip to the Yucatan. Something tequila or mezcal, maybe fresh-cut agave in the notes? It's a fun scent that conjures up a lot of images for me. Would make a great vacation scent for jasmine lovers. Not sure I would wear it much, but entertaining.

Dependent

Basenotes Plus

Atkinsons - The Other Side of Oud

I got the oud right off the bat. Then I get a kind of minty coffee, it's weird. It doesn't really smell like coffee though.

It's like a faux-coffee chocolate mint oud smell. Maybe some caramel too. But it's not heavy at all, really.
    I think this may have Roucel's kind of signature/style in this as I catch what smells like a lighter version of New Haarlem's smell in this - that syrup smell.

What's very weird is that the smell was easily smelled at first, then all of a sudden it's like a switch was hit and now I'm having trouble smelling it. I sprayed more, yet it's hard to smell. So I think this may be a quite olfactory fatigue prone type fragrance, unfortunately.

All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by d r e View Post
    I notice the dirty part in Legend Spirit too, most reviewers don't seem to though. Seems like one of those to spray behind the neck or something because I did find it pleasant as a whole.

And nice, I love Invictus. I've spent a few years trying to figure out the notes, sometimes I can see the grape syrup, the bubble gum, etc. but whatever it is smells great to me lol.

Today I got AdP Vaniglia
    Smells pretty unique actually, not the usual Vanilla scent. I'm mostly getting some odd Bright Citrusy note on top that's blending with the Vanilla, almost like Mancera Black Vanilla. It's not what I was expecting but I like it so far for something different
    Yeah, Invictus plain smells good. I actually sprung for a blind buy of the Legend flanker after smelling the Intense (I think) recently, and reading about how it's basically a mix of the Aqua + regular, but sweeter? I should enjoy it.

Vaniglia is quite nice! Do you get the kind of candle-y leaning vibe I was talking about? It's not a foody vanilla to me, but not totally candle either. Definitely smells good.

Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    Yes, there is. Actually I have a hard time with pineapple notes such as apple. They smell very synthetic to me, with few exceptions like Ambre Narguilé and Un Jardin Sur Le Toit. I like the synthetic smelling pineapple from Black XS L’Excess too
    Nice. Yeah whenever I hear of apple pie smelling scents, I'm weary. They pretty much all smell good, but having one CLICK with me is different. Ambre Narguile is great, I think it's the only 'applie pie' type scent I currently own. Ellena did great with it.

Quote Originally Posted by techt View Post
    Awesome! Exceptional scent, really. I prefer it over Ombre Leather & Clive C for Men.
    All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Junkie

Yeah, Invictus plain smells good. I actually sprung for a blind buy of the Legend flanker after smelling the Intense (I think) recently, and reading about how it's basically a mix of the Aqua + regular, but sweeter? I should enjoy it.

Vaniglia is quite nice! Do you get the kind of candle-y leaning vibe I was talking about? It's not a foody vanilla to me, but not totally candle either. Definitely smells good.
    Legend is like an mixture of all the flankers IMO, the 2018 Aqua + the OG would be in the area based on what I remember, but a bit darker than those like Intense is. I haven't tried it in like a year though, just on memory alone it's nice. Hopefully you enjoy it.

I'm wearing Vaniglia now and now that its dried a bit I can see the candlish vibe. Like it has an almost waxy quality or something. That combined with the citrusy notes make the resulting aroma almost Caramelic to me

First impressions of blind bought stuff I received yesterday and today:

Giorgio Beverly Hills V.I.P. Special Reserve - surprisingly close to (current) Giorgio for Men, more so than I expected. By first impressions, can't really say it's much "deeper" or "more natural" than the current Giorgio for Men. Probably was expecting too much based on the hype.

Giorgio Beverly Hills Red for Men - wow, very good! I think I like this better than Giorgio for Men or V.I.P.

Salvador Dali pour Homme (vintage) - smells weird and concentrated in a way that makes me think either the juice has turned or just the stuff in the sprayer has degraded (needless to say, I hope it's the latter)

Bogart Furyo (vintage) - quite good, not nearly as "challenging" as expected from the hype

Lagerfeld Classic- somewhat piercing and thin to my nose when sniffing up close, although my kids say it smells deep, smooth and wonderful

Wings for Men (erm, by Wings?) - will likely become a better and more pleasant alternative to Nautica Voyage. Not really getting the Cool Water comparison.

Moustache 1949 Original - seems nice and refreshing, thankfully not getting much of a lemon candy vibe

Eau de Rochas Homme - surprisingly different to my vintage Eau de Rochas pour Homme, which makes me think my vintage has gone bad
    Spray less, love more.

Chanel - Le Lion

A tamed version of Habit Rouge EDT wrapped in warm dirty musk, with less vanilla (not so sweet), and with just a touch of citruses at the beginning.
    Smooth, intimate and cozy.

In the dry down benzoin (spiced and a bit smoky vanilla), warm dirty-animalic musk and an elusive weak rubbery note, which I catch it now and then only in the air.
    This is the part close to Coromandel.

Last edited by Emanuel76; 8th April 2021 at 04:04 PM.
    Currently wearing: Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

L'Eau de Sevigne - Loved it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Junkie

Montale Vanille Absolu

Smells almost identical to Montale Sweet Vanilla's dry down, in the background I even get faint whiffs of the 'Apricot' used in Sweet Vanilla. It's kinda nice, not sure which I prefer since they seem so similar to me

Seduction in Black - didn't care for it.

Milano Cento Him EDT - doesn't live up to the lofty reviews. Smells disappointingly similar to the current version of Cartier Pasha EDT, albeit with poorer performance. In the category of "barbershop" fougeres and "nu-geres" that have been released in the last 5-10 years, this is a rather weak, derivative entry in a field that is crowded with excellent releases.

Quote Originally Posted by cpp214 View Post
    Milano Cento Him EDT - doesn't live up to the lofty reviews. Smells disappointingly similar to the current version of Cartier Pasha EDT, albeit with poorer performance. In the category of "barbershop" fougeres and "nu-geres" that have been released in the last 5-10 years, this is a rather weak, derivative entry in a field that is crowded with excellent releases.
    This is spot on. I tried this one this week. I'm glad I did not blind buy a bottle.

Penhaligon's Opus 1870 - A pleasant mixed bag of spices, woods, and violet. I wish it was more violet-forward and less spicy. After a while, all I get is sharp cinnamon, and it becomes annoying.

I received my free bottle of Azzaro pour Homme today, so I wore it out to dinner with my parents. That's some damn good shit and a damn good blind acquisition, especially since it was free.

tom ford noir anthracite

it smells like depression

My Gentleman - Loved it.

Basenotes Junkie

Celine Black Tie

Very impressive Vanilla scent. I have some sinus congestion right now but it smells amazing from what I'm able to get from it. Unique, but very familiar. Kinda reminds me of a refined version of Ultra Male's dry down. Very Vanilla centric with hints of what I believe is the Orris Butter. It's got a slight makeup quality from that, but seems to mostly reduce the powderiness and add a lil buttery smell to it. I like it a lot

Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast