Code of Conduct
Page 33 of 43 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast
    Basenotes Member

Default Re: Name the fragrance you tried/smelled today for the first time - 2021

Today I tried the original vintage versions of some Jacomo de Jacomo and Azzaro PH. Loved the Jacomo de Jacomo. JdJ is one of those old cheapies that if it was relaunched as niche fragrance nowadays it would sell like crazy for $150+, and people would laud it for being so unique and interesting. I didn't see what the fuss is about with vintage Azzaro PH. Granted my Azzaro PH has clearly lost some of its top notes due to evaporation, but I find the drydown extremely similar to the current version. The modern one is a bit harsher and brash with the bitter notes, but I actually kinda like it. Azarro PH was never the most tightly buttoned up formal fougere to begin with and the modern version stays in that spirit (do miss the oakmoss though). The edge on the modern one and more defined notes actually appeals to some of my admittedly modern sensibilities too as a younger guy in the hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Excellent stuff, oud or no oud. Sort of Kouros meets Furyo in a sophisticated art museum. One of the best honey notes ever in this one.
    Yes, I just wish it was a bit easier to get my hands on. ~$200 for 100ml is a no go, especially when you're gambling on the top notes still being intact. Of all three I like Furyo the best (I like the castoreum) and as a bonus it hasn't gotten horrifically expensive.. yet.

Default Re: Name the fragrance you tried/smelled today for the first time - 2021

Tous 1920 The Original - Ok this was kind of an accidental purchase - I impulsively added a sample of this to my cart thinking it was Bois 1920 - I mean, it’s close enough, same number of letters + 1920... In any case, I’m not mad about it, especially because it was less than $2 and smells like a cumin-less, office safe take on Declaration, but with a bit soapier edge. It’s not as good as Declaration, so I’d never buy it, but whatever!

Elie Saab Essence No 7 Neroli - Adding this to ES Vetiver and Oud, which I already own/love, happy with my blind buy. It’s neroli but not EdC style, not fresh or particularly bright. More of a honeyed, almost melon-like neroli with some spices and something a bit cooling/camphorous that reminds me of Royal Mayfair. Plus you can’t go wrong with MFK vibes at bargain barrel prices (I got it for $60).

CdG Wonderwood Technically I’d tried this once before at Nordstrom, but it was during a marathon smelling session and I only vaguely remembered that it was pleasantly woody. The performance leaves a bit to be desired (par for the course with CdG I guess) but it is a very nice full-on woodsy incense and pepper. Reminds me of Bentley Absolute, but without the aura of cheap/harsh aroma chemicals I get from that one. The incense note is very nice, not a big surprise. It’s definitely got more bite than something like Tam Dao, but it also has all the same sandalwood/cedar goodness as TD, plus a kind of bleach-y oud in the background.

DS & Durga Bowmakers - Same as Wonderwood, I had vague recollections of trying this but it’s even better than I remembered. It’s straight up Jenga blocks - anyone who has played with them will know what I’m talking about. The opening is a bit harsh and definitely has that authentic wood varnish smell, but once it dries down it’s the sharpest “pencil shavings” accord imaginable. But not in a euphemism-for-Iso E Super way, it’s very pleasant and doesn’t smell too harsh, aside from its inherent pleasing harshness that puts it in the same league as something like GGA.
    “I have often observed that [scents] cause an alteration in me and work upon my spirits according to their several virtues; which makes me approve of what is said, that the use of incense and perfumes in churches, so ancient and so universally received in all nations and religions, was intended to cheer us, and to rouse and purify the senses, the better to fit us for contemplation” - Montaigne
    Currently wearing: Greyland by Montale

Common Lackey

Carnal Flower

Dear god, what was I thinking?? I detest tuberose, and neroli (and narcissus, which, although not listed as a note, I'm sure I detect in this).

This is a measure of how impressionable I am. I got caught up in the rave reviews of it, and now matter how well constructed it may be, I should have known better. Now I'll be nauseated for at least an hour or two, even after I scrub it off.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Carnal Flower

Dear god, what was I thinking?? I detest tuberose, and neroli (and narcissus, which, although not listed as a note, I'm sure I detect in this).

This is a measure of how impressionable I am. I got caught up in the rave reviews of it, and now matter how well constructed it may be, I should have known better. Now I'll be nauseated for at least an hour or two, even after I scrub it off.
    Have you tried Nuit de Bakelite? It's a "green" tuberose.
    Why do you detest tuberose?

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rinx7 View Post
    Today I tried the original vintage versions of some Jacomo de Jacomo and Azzaro PH. Loved the Jacomo de Jacomo. JdJ is one of those old cheapies that if it was relaunched as niche fragrance nowadays it would sell like crazy for $150+, and people would laud it for being so unique and interesting. I didn't see what the fuss is about with vintage Azzaro PH. Granted my Azzaro PH has clearly lost some of its top notes due to evaporation, but I find the drydown extremely similar to the current version. The modern one is a bit harsher and brash with the bitter notes, but I actually kinda like it. Azarro PH was never the most tightly buttoned up formal fougere to begin with and the modern version stays in that spirit (do miss the oakmoss though). The edge on the modern one and more defined notes actually appeals to some of my admittedly modern sensibilities too as a younger guy in the hobby.

Yes, I just wish it was a bit easier to get my hands on. ~$200 for 100ml is a no go, especially when you're gambling on the top notes still being intact. Of all three I like Furyo the best (I like the castoreum) and as a bonus it hasn't gotten horrifically expensive.. yet.
    Agree (regarding Balenciaga). I'd say < $100 for 50 ml isn't unreasonable. Having said that, given the type of fragrance Balenciaga pour Homme is, I would probably not be a whole lot concerned about top notes being off. I also happen to like Furyo more (the first version).

I like Jacomo de Jacomo a lot, it's one of the good ones. Very unique and interesting.
    Have you tried vintage (or vintage-ish) Paco Rabanne pour Homme? It's stellar stuff.

Common Lackey

Have you tried Nuit de Bakelite? It's a "green" tuberose.
    Pass. Carnal Flower was supposed to be a green tuberose too.

Why do you detest tuberose?
    Why does anybody detest anything? Personal preference. (Plus it nauseates me.)

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Carnal Flower

Interesting. I HATED tuberose...until I tried Carnal Flower.

Different strokes...

Dependent

Amouage Rose Incense.
    Blind bought a 100 ml bottle.
    The top notes are exactly as Amouage claims and are done superbly. Very enjoyable and obviously of excellent quality and blending. It features a black ink accord which is done better than any I have in my collection.
    Suederal dominates the heart and well into dry down. Had to Google it... Powerful stuff. Went on a fast 90 minute bike ride and every time I had to slow or stop I was very aware of what I was wearing... Enormous sillage and projection. Three sprays was way too much. Will dial back to one spray and try afresh. Hoping that less will allow more of the other facets to shine through earlier in the wearing. Looking forward to my second wearing as Rose Incense seems a good fit for the last member to join the Library Collection.
    Made in Oman with a new style library presentation. Very nicely done and an improvement over the previous Library Collection packaging.
    The shop I purchased it from just got their stock in and it sold out pronto! Glad I didn't snooze on the decision.

Sillage Monster

Chanel Bel Respiro - I got several Chanel samples with my recent purchase of Jersey. The first time I tested Bel Respiro: nothing. I re-tested it today and took a nice vigorous walk along the shore and it totally bloomed. It had all the nice green things up front, but the musky vetiver dry down really wowed me. Sycomore will have to get in line behind Bel Respiro on my To Buy list.
    Avatar: the late, great Janis Joplin. Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself.

Yea it really is a grower not a shower and it is currently at the front of the line of my next to buy list. The first time I tried it I thought the green opening was fantastic but then I was disappointed with the dry down, I thought ti was kind of generic Chanel-ade vague creamy florals and wished it had retained some of that opening verdancy for longer.

But, after wearing it several times I start to find more and more subtle facets in that dry down and I find it really lovely. Somehow spring/fresh/green but also warm/cozy/comforting at the same time. Like No. 19s outgoing friendly cousin.

Quote Originally Posted by Trilby Lark View Post
    Chanel Bel Respiro - I got several Chanel samples with my recent purchase of Jersey. The first time I tested Bel Respiro: nothing. I re-tested it today and took a nice vigorous walk along the shore and it totally bloomed. It had all the nice green things up front, but the musky vetiver dry down really wowed me. Sycomore will have to get in line behind Bel Respiro on my To Buy list.
    "I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones."
    -John Cage

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    Interesting. I HATED tuberose...until I tried Carnal Flower.

Different strokes...
    It's one of the few tuberose scents that I enjoyed, it was well made.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: L'Humaniste by Frapin

French Lover by FM: Like it. Normally, this would not my usual cup of tea. It has a very bitter and dry aspect to it and is very masculine with the mix vetiver/oakmoss (very subjective obv). I like it because it strongly reminded me of an odor that I cannot quite put my finger on. Something I've encountered in some sort of outdoor activity. Will meditate on that. Not sure if i'd be willing to invest a FB in it, but the smell is intriguing for me to to appreciate it

Elixir des Merveilles - Hermes: Hard pass. Oh no... Weird, the notes looked interesting enough but I got bad mouth odor... nope nope

Quote Originally Posted by ImaFedec View Post
    French Lover by FM: Like it. Normally, this would not my usual cup of tea. It has a very bitter and dry aspect to it and is very masculine with the mix vetiver/oakmoss (very subjective obv). I like it because it strongly reminded me of an odor that I cannot quite put my finger on. Something I've encountered in some sort of outdoor activity. Will meditate on that. Not sure if i'd be willing to invest a FB in it, but the smell is intriguing for me to to appreciate it
    Wear the heck out of your sample. Trust me. It was just a like at first for me also, but after 4, 5 wearings, I started craving it like mad. Its complexity resides in its assonant minimalism, imo. It is the fragrance that has made the biggest leap on the like scale out of all I‘ve tried.
    Currently wearing: Paradis Perdu by Frapin

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Verte Euphorie - Loved it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by ThVH View Post
    Wear the heck out of your sample. Trust me. It was just a like at first for me also, but after 4, 5 wearings, I started craving it like mad. Its complexity resides in its assonant minimalism, imo. It is the fragrance that has made the biggest leap on the like scale out of all I‘ve tried.
    Will do! I only smelled it on strip (my fragrance of this morning still going strong on me). What is interesting is that I got dry greens, my fiancée smells dirty (in a good way) musk.
    Have 4 more samples to go through from my pack then I will start skin wears

Will do! I only smelled it on strip (my fragrance of this morning still going strong on me). What is interesting is that I got dry greens, my fiancée smells dirty (in a good way) musk.
    Have 4 more samples to go through from my pack then I will start skin wears
    Is it the “hot tomato” note?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian5701 View Post
    Is it the “hot tomato” note?
    The what note ?!

Basenotes Member

Have you tried vintage (or vintage-ish) Paco Rabanne pour Homme? It's stellar stuff.
    I have. I've got a 5ml mini of the 1st or 2nd formulation (there isn't a whole lot of info for dating the minis out there) that I decanted into a spray bottle. Good stuff. You can really smell the DNA for the Balenciaga PH, Kouros, etc. family of fragrances in there. Soapy fougere top honeyed base.

The what note ?!
    On paper, you don't notice it, but on skin (and after drydown) there's a vegetable/celery/tomato note that comes out. Maybe it's a touch of cumin? It's the only thing that's kept me from investing in another bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian5701 View Post
    On paper, you don't notice it, but on skin (and after drydown) there's a vegetable/celery/tomato note that comes out. Maybe it's a touch of cumin? It's the only thing that's kept me from investing in another bottle.
    Very interesting, will keep you posted once I've applied on skin!

Rogue Mousse Illuminee - Wow. Just wow. Very successful blind buy.

Basenotes Plus

Hermes - H24

Hmm, interesting opening, wasn't expecting that. It's like a grapefruit or some kind of citrus opening.

Quite an aromatic beginning, with like.. a layer in the back of a modern sweetness. It's interesting and it doesn't remind me of any other particular perfume.

It's like a little fruity, little sweet, aromatic. So far it's not a buy, but it is interesting.

Last edited by ILikePeeps; 7th May 2021 at 10:32 PM.
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Lyric Man - Amouage: Last sample of the day. Like it, but there is not much to be done. There is something quite soapy that reminds me of a fancy douche gel I had at one point. The only rose centred scent I can see myself wearing is Manrose by Etro.

Basenotes Plus

Cartier - Declaration d'Un Soir

Okay, so I tried this on at a store before - BUT I think the bottle was bad or something (my nose? overloaded?), because it smelled... bad. Like acrid/off or something. This time with a sample I just acquired is much better. I actually get rose from it! lol. Oooh, I just got some dirt smell - I'm assuming it's patchouli, or some kind of geosmin note. Some sweetness.

This is pretty nice. It doesn't blow me away immediately, but it's like immediately pleasing and not stand-off-ish at all. It's like smelling roses in fresh dirt while sucking a lollipop or something?

dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Plus

YSL - Y Eau de Toilette

It reminds me of something else, but with an added metallic effect and a fruity addition (synthetic, kind of fuzzy). But I can't recall what it reminds me of.. maybe not Chrome, it might not even be a fragrance but rather a deodorant or some kind of cosmetic or hygiene product that has/had a scent.

In any case, it's pleasant but not much character. Wouldn't mind smelling this on someone, but it doesn't 'wow' me. Pass on getting a full bottle so far, but not bad.

Note: I probably smelled 1-3 from this line before while in a store using a paper card/strip, not sure if I ever intentionally put any on skin though. I bought a pack of 4 types from this line, and will test in order.

All Hail King Kouros!

Lyric Man - Amouage: Last sample of the day. Like it, but there is not much to be done. There is something quite soapy that reminds me of a fancy douche gel I had at one point. The only rose centred scent I can see myself wearing is Manrose by Etro.
    I enjoy rose scents however this one didn't quite work for me, there's others that I'd rather wear over it.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: L'Humaniste by Frapin

Yea I wasn't so thrilled with the soapy astringent smell, but wait 12 hours you'll have a lovely sandalwood lol.

"I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones."
    -John Cage

Millesime Impériale - Creed: Pleasant. Like a more playful but immature version of GIT.

Dependent

Millesime Impériale - Creed: Pleasant. Like a more playful but immature version of GIT.
    I get that. But I'd say more casual than immature. It's still a very refined scent IMO.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Lalique White in Black - Loved it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Page 33 of 43 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast