Code of Conduct
Page 34 of 44 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34 35 36 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1317

Default Re: Name the fragrance you tried/smelled today for the first time - 2021

Accordo di Ebano by l'Erbolario-liked both the actual scent and the performance gotten from this

Basenotes Junkie

Default Re: Name the fragrance you tried/smelled today for the first time - 2021

Fahrenheit 32

I get some similarities to the OG Fahrenheit in a way, but I wouldn't have connected them without the bottle and name. Seems like a creamy citrusy Vetiver. It's actually pretty good, but not for me. I have a 95% full 100ml bottle I'll prolly sell.

Might actually save myself a decant of this because I'm actually enjoying it the more I smell it, not bad at all

Basenotes Plus

YSL - Y Eau de Parfum

Kind of boring. Pleasant, but boring. Not much character. I think the EdT is more interesting, more aromatic perhaps, and has a 'drier' bit more layered feel to it.
    Nothing noteworthy really, IMO. Pass.

I'm not sure why this one is so hyped in the fragrance community.

**Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by d r e View Post
    Fahrenheit 32

I get some similarities to the OG Fahrenheit in a way, but I wouldn't have connected them without the bottle and name. Seems like a creamy citrusy Vetiver. It's actually pretty good, but not for me. I have a 95% full 100ml bottle I'll prolly sell.

Might actually save myself a decant of this because I'm actually enjoying it the more I smell it, not bad at all
    Hit me up when you do!

I tried Boss Bottled EDP today. Didn't like it. Way too boring even if you're being forgiving of it being a typical mainstream release. I liked Infinite from last year but this is a big miss.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

Quote Originally Posted by ImaFedec View Post
    Millesime Impériale - Creed: Pleasant. Like a more playful but immature version of GIT.
    Aside from the ambergris note, there isn't much similarities between the two IMO. I wouldn't consider it an immature version of GIT by any means.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Basenotes Plus

YSL - Y Eau Fraiche

This whole line so far isn't impressive. To me this smells more close to the EdT. I pick up something that makes me think of ambergris?

Overall, not tempted to buy a bottle. If I had to pick one up so far, it'd be the original EdT.

dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Plus

YSL - Y Le Parfum (put on yesterday evening/night)

Opened with a nod to Eros type of smell, but different. Eventually smelled like an almost powdery candy type of smell, like Smarties or a candy necklace. Then overall it was a kind of almost powder grape soda type of smell. Pass on full bottle.

The whole line so far is disappointing to me, that's a shame. Still need to try Y Live on skin, I think.

All Hail King Kouros!

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Morning in Tipasa - Loved it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Junkie

Invictus Victory
    Dark lemon scent that isnt sour, the more it drys down the more I get some of the OG DNA that everyone's claiming isnt there, but to be fair it's not the traditional note that the other flankers have. Kinda smells like a slightly more lemony and dry spicy Invictus Intense. Dry down is nice, the incense note is pretty well done. Not that sweet, almost fresh for how spicy and dark it is. I can't really compare this to anything now that it dried down more. The lemon-spicy-incense provides this bite that sticks out more than anything. Not bad at all. Very very different than the flankers.

Bad Boy Parfum
    Spicy Grapefruit. Strange to me. Kinda reminds me of a super Intense Invictus Victory somewhat.

Boss Bottled EdP
    Citrusy scent cant smell much outside this 'cologne' smell.

Maybe it is language barrier, I did not mean "immature" in a pejorative way

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    I get that. But I'd say more casual than immature. It's still a very refined scent IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Aside from the ambergris note, there isn't much similarities between the two IMO. I wouldn't consider it an immature version of GIT by any means.

Creed Viking Cologne - Loved it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Three new scents I tested from the May Olfactif sample box:

Southern Living - 1966 Gent - Southern Living - yes, as in the magazine - is responsible for this, the existence of which is somewhat odd to begin with, not to mention its presence in a niche/indie sample box. But whatever. It’s supposed to be a bourbon-forward fragrance, but it comes across more like TdH with the citrus swapped out for a nice black pepper note in the top. I don’t really get any bourbon from it, but it’s not bad. Since TdH exists, this is nowhere near bottle worthy, even if I do like the black pepper. Performance is also mediocre.

Dalegerard - Vocation Clean, green patchouli leaf and bitter citrus stand out to me most here. Somehow the blend smells a bit like orange juice after brushing your teeth (I know that’s not a smell per se, but that’s what comes to mind). This brand seems to be very new and there’s not much out there, but it’s $250/100 ml. I guess you can just launch right on to the market with those prices now. It’s nice, but not worth the price IMO. And not unique enough to make me interested in the house.

DSH - Cafe Noir The clear winner of the sample set, man this is good. It has a bit of a vintage floral depth to it, and actually smells more like Mexican cinnamon-laden hot chocolate to me than coffee. It smells exactly like those little pucks of hot chocolate that you dissolve to make an instant spicy brew. I usually expect coffee to be more robustly bitter and smoky, but this is restrained, chocolatey and rich. Definitely gourmand but not cavity-inducing
    “I have often observed that [scents] cause an alteration in me and work upon my spirits according to their several virtues; which makes me approve of what is said, that the use of incense and perfumes in churches, so ancient and so universally received in all nations and religions, was intended to cheer us, and to rouse and purify the senses, the better to fit us for contemplation” - Montaigne
    Currently wearing: Greyland by Montale

Chanel No.19 - I like it. I think it's as close we're going to get to a " Chanel No.5 Pour Homme". Has the Chanel DNA, but greener than No.5. Also very light. Gave myself a good spray and it was barely detectable an hour later.

Basenotes Plus

Moschino - Toy Boy

Nice! I actually quite like this! It's like a simple rose shampoo, BUT with sweetness, and not as cheap smelling.
    I actually might pick up a bottle of this. Good stuff so far.

Edit: Ah yeah, I get a pepper smell when smelling up close after seeing note stuff. I seem to also get a.. cedar or something smell? Or actually yeah I guess pear, but more like smelling pear skin that's dirty? lol

All Hail King Kouros!

Clubman Pinaud Lime Sec EDC

I came across a 6 fl oz (177 ml) bottle last week at TJ Maxx, marked down to $3. I like fresh citrusy pick-me-up colognes, and I like limes, and Pinaud has some brand recognition and appreciation in these quarters, so I figured it would be a safe bet. I try to refrain from perfume descriptions like "dishwasher liquid" or "toilet cleaner", but this is what it smells like to me, literally. High school memories, this is what bathrooms smelled like after janitors did their work. Trader Joe's Citrus dish detergent smells niche compared to this stuff. Extremely short-lived, artificial smelling, pez candy diluted in alcohol.

I did find use for it though - I splash it on my hands after eating boiled crawfish and shrimp and it's just as good as those little towelettes they usually hand out afterwards.

I received Cartier L'heure Brilliante today and I absolutely love it!

I recently bought L'heure Fougueuse and Mysterieux when a few testers popped up for a good price. I almost didn't get Brilliante thinking no need to over pay for a simple citrus cologne, but I liked the other two so much I went for it.

It turns out this is my favorite of the 3!

A very nice bright lemony opening and a wonderful herbaceous green dry down. It is green but not in a way I've experienced before. Doesn't smell particularly like galbanum, it's almost a bit minty but doesn't smell like mint.

If I was to represent the smell as an object, it would be something like this:

31pXx32NPbL._AC_.jpg
    "I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones."
    -John Cage

Basenotes Member

375x500.7793.jpg

Bogart Pour Homme - Wow, that tonkachouli sweetened "Tobacco" accord plus lavender thing that XJ Naxos does comes from here huh. It isn't as deep as Naxos, but the DNA is there and it's a high grade cheapie. Bogart is great more newbies should be pointed towards them.

Basenotes Plus

Dolce & Gabbana - The One Grey

Reviews/ratings be damned, I really enjoy this one! A pretty big/decent nod to the original, but it does its own thing too.

The first spray from the bottle smells quite different than the 2nd spray. I wouldn't have thought grapefruit necessarily, but something like.. citric, ambery, sweet, pseudo-powder almost, and spicy? Kind of gives a resemblance to some kind of cleaner or bug spray or something - but in a positive way!

lol, I actually really enjoy this one. I think this would be a pretty great signature scent, office scent, casual scent, hanging with people, etc.

I guess the marketing got me too, because it DOES have a 'grey' aspect/smell to it. Interesting.

Note: I THINK I smelled this before, at least on a strip (can't remember if sprayed on skin, or what) and I essentially put it off. But I was probably testing others as well.

Edit: Far drydown is quite vetiver dominant, . Fans of vetiver & The One DNA.. definitely check this one out.

Last edited by ILikePeeps; 14th May 2021 at 03:17 PM.
    All Hail King Kouros!

I tried two new Manceras and I got a few more coming.

Aoud Blue Notes
    At first it made me think of MFK's Oud. A pretty clean and soft one. Nice.

Aoud Lemon Mint
    It shared something with Blue Notes but with lemon added. The mint might have freshened it up a bit but was hard to detect as a single note

Patchouli essential oil mixed with unscented body lotion. Mainly just to figure out whether I should blind buy Santa Maria Novella Patchouli. And I feel I should!

Because patchouli is so often mixed with warmer and sweeter stuff, my idea of what pure patchouli smelled like was vague. But this smells very familiar of course. I just sprayed some Givenchy Gentleman on top and it's an interesting amped up effect!
    Spray less, love more.

Hapyang - Loved it.

Mercedes Benz Club Black

Smells almost exactly like Spicebomb minus the Cinnamon. Pretty underwhelming so far. Don't like the atomizer. It puts out a super fine, diffuse mist. Not nearly as strong as I was expecting. Put it on 2 hours ago and it's pretty close to the skin now. Meh.

EDIT: It's been over 4 hours now and the fragrance maintains a nice close to the skin bubble, and I can still pick up wafts of it. It's not a powerhouse but it is "moderate." I'm starting to warm up to it slightly. It's a dry, dusty, vanilla/incense/patchouli. It's fairly well made. I think the hype around this one is a little too much but it is good. I've gone from rating it at about a 5/10 to maybe a 6.5-7/10 now. Not a wow, but very decent.
    Last edited by cpp214; 11th May 2021 at 07:01 PM.
    Currently wearing: Geir by Geir Ness

Quote Originally Posted by Brian5701 View Post
    On paper, you don't notice it, but on skin (and after drydown) there's a vegetable/celery/tomato note that comes out. Maybe it's a touch of cumin? It's the only thing that's kept me from investing in another bottle.
    I have a small sample and it's too vegetal for me.
    I get cabbage.....seriously.

Tabac Tabou - Parfum d'Empire

Another great scent by this house. It is dry, bit leathery, bit bitter, bit smoky, bit sweet (and I can go on and on). It is an interesting scent. It actually is, to me, EXACTLY the kind of scent I'd love to encounter in everyday life (in a library, in a farm, in a campfire...) but not on myself

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    Moschino - Toy Boy

Nice! I actually quite like this! It's like a simple rose shampoo, BUT with sweetness, and not as cheap smelling.
    I actually might pick up a bottle of this. Good stuff so far.

Edit: Ah yeah, I get a pepper smell when smelling up close after seeing note stuff. I seem to also get a.. cedar or something smell? Or actually yeah I guess pear, but more like smelling pear skin that's dirty? lol

Thought you had already tried it and was searching for what you said, but couldn’t find the day I tried it. It seems you didn’t try it until that day. As a coincidence you tried right after me.
    This one is indeed nice. But I was so sad with the base notes. I got a strong smell of ambroxan and then when I searched for its pyramid there was no ambroxan. Then on Parfumo I found what was the note annoying me just like what ambroxan does to me: it’s called ambermax. Yuck!
    It would be a full bottle worth for me. This ambermax destroyed it to me.
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.
    Currently wearing: Lyric Man by Amouage

Two more from Mancera:

Wild Fruits
    It does have that Silver Mointain Water/Mefisto vibe. Not the better of them based on one wearing

Aoud Café
    A bit weird as I get coffee, licorice and celery notes. But as I got wafts I did not find it unpleasant

Mudejar Obscur - Loved it.

Geranium Pour Monsieur - F. Malle:
    Awesome. One of the best openings , so fresh But I am actually considering investing in the douche gel from it

Moon Bloom - Hiram Green
    Liked it, very similar to carnal flower (which I loved). Doesn't last as long though, and is more charming than sexy (carnal is an extrait and much more expensive, on the other hand)

Arbole Arbole - Hiram Green
    Interesting scent. Did not expect that. I get a playdo feel (almond?). It is actually quite pleasant and unique

The Architect Club - Arquiste
    Loved it on paper, great vanilla scent. For some reason, did not work out on my skin. Something odd - Similar to Eau Duelle but i'd stick with the latter (edp)

I bet the shower gel is wonderful. Frederic tells a story that he came up with the idea for Portrait of a Lady while using the GPM shower gel because it brings out the aromatic base and he had the idea to use that as a starting point for a new fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaFedec View Post
    Geranium Pour Monsieur - F. Malle:
    Awesome. One of the best openings , so fresh But I am actually considering investing in the douche gel from it
    "I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones."
    -John Cage

Quote Originally Posted by cheapimitation View Post
    I bet the shower gel is wonderful. Frederic tells a story that he came up with the idea for Portrait of a Lady while using the GPM shower gel because it brings out the aromatic base and he had the idea to use that as a starting point for a new fragrance.
    Thanks for that anecdote that is interesting to know

Page 34 of 44 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34 35 36 ... LastLast