Code of Conduct
Page 43 of 51 FirstFirst ... 33 41 42 43 44 45 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1518

Default Re: Name the fragrance you tried/smelled today for the first time - 2021

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    Lavande 44 by Rania J - When fragrances are too lavender-forward, I don't really get much other than the lavender. It's fresh and woody and undoubtably masculine. Pretty nice, one of the better lavender scents I've tried. Just isn't my style.

Lingo by Jeroboam - Weird musk. Reminiscent of 1740 to me. I get a lot of patchouli and amber. Don't really care for it.

K'Bridge Club by Xerjoff - The first thing I thought when I smelled this was that it has the DNA of a Mancera or Montale! Very synthetic smelling and similar to Intense Cafe or maybe even Cafe Rose. I could see how this could work on the right person but it's too sweet for me.

1A-33 by J. F. Schwarzlose - Loved the fresh opening but it quickly goes way too floral and I can't help but think the cedar note is out of place.
    I’m a lavender fan, but did not enjoy Lavande 44 either. Will have Kbridge Club later on this month, so looking forward to my impressions then.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Marc-Antoine Barrois B683 Extrait
    3. Fragrance du Bois Sahraa Oud
    4. Mugler Over the Musk
    5. Carner Fig Man
    Currently wearing: Indolis by Areej le Doré

Default Re: Name the fragrance you tried/smelled today for the first time - 2021

Mousse Illuminee by Rogue Perfumery - Love this!

Montale Patchouli Leaves - Well this smells exactly like its name. I respect this fragrance, but it's clearly not anything I would personally want to wear. It does smell like musty, dirty patchouli leaves....at least initially, but that's not exactly a smell I want to wear or something that would likely endear me to others. It's too bad they didn't make the main fragrance what it dries down to....with the vanilla. It smells great and has great projection.
    Last edited by RedRaider430; 14th June 2021 at 12:26 AM.
    Basenotes sales: TDC de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/472...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Issey Miyake Or Encens. Finally got my nose on this one and it's not what I was expecting. I am getting a bit of Nouveau Monde and Ombre Nomade in this. It's only on a blotter so it'll be interesting to get this on skin.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Marc-Antoine Barrois B683 Extrait
    3. Fragrance du Bois Sahraa Oud
    4. Mugler Over the Musk
    5. Carner Fig Man
    Currently wearing: Indolis by Areej le Doré

Xerjoff Ivory Route - Pretty nice spicy scent with cinnamon. Doesn't blow me away.

Nicolai Cap Neroli - My SOTD. I love fresh summer fragrances like this. Lovely bergamot, orange, and mint. A nice iteration of neroli.
    Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    That's a shame - Ivory Route is one of my all-time favorite perfumes; stuff blew my mind. Strong, smells AMAZING, IMO.
    It was nice but I've found other Xerjoffs more enjoyable.
    Ivory Route reminds me of Guerlain Spirituesue Double Vanille. Have you tried that one?
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    Mousse Illuminee by Rogue Perfumery - Love this!
    It's quite spectacular. Have you tried the others from Rogue?
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    It's quite spectacular. Have you tried the others from Rogue?
    I haven't. I just ran across the Mousse Illuminee thread the other day and that's the first time I ever heard of Rogue Perfumery.....which is pretty ironic since I bought a Creed flacon from Manny about 4 years ago. I knew nothing about him creating fragrances.

After reading that thread about Mousse Illuminee, I found it on Luckyscent and wound up ordering a sample of that and Tabac Vert.
    Basenotes sales: TDC de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/472...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

I haven't. I just ran across the Mousse Illuminee thread the other day and that's the first time I ever heard of Rogue Perfumery.....which is pretty ironic since I bought a Creed flacon from Manny about 4 years ago. I knew nothing about him creating fragrances.

After reading that thread about Mousse Illuminee, I found it on Luckyscent and wound up ordering a sample of that and Tabac Vert.
    Tabac Vert is nice, I actually found some similarities to Creed Vintage Tabarome. You should also give Chypre-Siam a try too, a take on classic chypre.

Tabac Vert is nice, I actually found some similarities to Creed Vintage Tabarome. You should also give Chypre-Siam a try too, a take on classic chypre.
    Thanks! I'll add it to my "fragrances to sample" list.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Pirates 2,0 - Loved it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Roja Dove Diaghilev - For the first time, now I can say I've worn a thousand-dollar perfume. Is it worth it? To me - no. It's a nice scent; very vintage in feel. It quite figuratively in my mind smells like an orchestra or an opera reincarnated into scent form. There is so much going on here that it's hard for me to pick out any individual notes. When would I wear this? Perhaps if I were 70 years older and owned a sprawling mansion, this would be a fine scent to frolic around the garden in. I'm glad I tried it.

Basenotes Junkie

Spicebomb Infrared
    Barely different from OG, IMO. Maybe a tiny bit fruitier
    Last edited by d r e; 14th June 2021 at 10:03 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Etat Libre d'Orange - Jasmin et Cigarette

FINALLY. I've been wanting to try this for quite a while!

And well, it smells like jasmine (obviously) in the opening and an unlit pack of cigarettes kinda? Blonde tobacco? Not sure.
    Gives me a minty tea vibe also. But yeah, it kinda smells like if you opened a pack of cigarettes, didn't take any out, and sniffed it.
    Unburnt, unlit, not ashy. I can see this being confused with a tea smell also; dry tea bag.

Not bad, and glad I finally got my nose on it! But not FBW at the moment, .

**Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!
    Currently wearing: HiM by Hanae Mori

Basenotes Plus

Ivory Route reminds me of Guerlain Spirituesue Double Vanille. Have you tried that one?
    Yeah, I own SDV as well. Didn't notice the connection personally; enjoy both! Next time I wear either one I may think of the other, lol
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Interesting, I wish I got what you got out of it because I liked the Jasmin but found the Cigarette aspect more like stale ashtray rather than fresh tobacco. I'll have to revisit it though, because I distinctly remember wearing it on an oppressively hot humid day and just becoming increasingly nauseated by it in that weather. But maybe in a cooler/dryer environment I'll have a better exerperience.

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    Etat Libre d'Orange - Jasmin et Cigarette

FINALLY. I've been wanting to try this for quite a while!

And well, it smells like jasmine (obviously) in the opening and an unlit pack of cigarettes kinda? Blonde tobacco? Not sure.
    Gives me a minty tea vibe also. But yeah, it kinda smells like if you opened a pack of cigarettes, didn't take any out, and sniffed it.
    Unburnt, unlit, not ashy. I can see this being confused with a tea smell also; dry tea bag.

Not bad, and glad I finally got my nose on it! But not FBW at the moment, .
    "I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones."
    -John Cage

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by cheapimitation View Post
    Interesting, I wish I got what you got out of it because I liked the Jasmin but found the Cigarette aspect more like stale ashtray rather than fresh tobacco. I'll have to revisit it though, because I distinctly remember wearing it on an oppressively hot humid day and just becoming increasingly nauseated by it in that weather. But maybe in a cooler/dryer environment I'll have a better exerperience.
    Now that you said that and I was purposely thinking of ashy when smelling it, yeah I can see that as well. Not sure if that's the jasmine or something else giving that smell. It also doesn't smell as unburnt tobacco anymore, but in the opening it did, like a fresh pack of cigarettes.

I guess a transition? Opening = fresh, drydown = unfresh/ashy. Interesting.
    All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Plus

Paco Rabanne - Tenere

Interesting; definitely has that very familiar retro machismo smell to it, but something 'extra' in it that stands out, almost bitter. Like green.. or floral or SOMETHING. Maybe carnation? Not sure.

It smells good, but doesn't blow me away. I've smelled this 'style'.

All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Plus

Histoires de Parfums - Ambre 114

Oooh, nice. This is a very well done traditional type amber scent, no? This is more along what I'd want from L'Eau d'Ambre Extrême - the L'Artisan was good, but not *quite* good enough, and it had that Play-Doh-y quality about it. This HdP on the other hand is pretty great. Might buy one. I'd like to revisit Ambre Précieux to see which comes out on top.

Edit: Ordered a bottle.

All Hail King Kouros!

Zara x Jo Loves Citrus Meze
    Starts off with zingy lemon and bergamot and then quickly turns into a peppery woodsy neroli scent. Not the unisex Neroli Portofino/Neroli Woods/Mugler Cologne neroli, but rather the more masculine musty aromatic neroli like the one in Dunhill Century, Fleur du Male and Nirvana Grey. Reminds me of being in an old dusty bookstore, where someone is burning an incense stick and you walk to the very back where old magazines and clearance books are. Not quite what I expected.

Sampled Reminiscence Patchouli today (I'm trying to make myself like the classic smell of patchouli and I'm having a really hard time!).

No, I'm not much of a patchouli fan, but for those that are, this seems like it would be hard to beat. It's the smell of patchouli but doesn't seem to be overly strong or semi-offensive....as some are known to be. And the vanilla in the dry down is certainly pleasant. I guess I need to find a patchouli that starts out the way so many end up.

I can see why this one is a popular patchouli because of the overall scent and relatively low cost.

Aquae Nobilis - didn't care for it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Junkie

Adolfo Dominguez Agua Fresca

This has been on my radar for years, and I finally blind-bought it for $35. Good value for the money. Fresh, mostly natural-smelling fragrance in the style of a traditional citrus-herbal cologne. Citrus, greens, and soapy-muskiness that dries down fairly quickly to an iodic vetiver. I can understand some of the comments that it has a bit of a "generic cologne" smell, but it's still quite nice for what it is.

Basenotes Plus

Monsieur by Pierre Guillaume - I get earthy, rooty greens and simultaneously detect light, crisp notes reminiscent of aquatics. Picture a forest with a flowing stream and perfect weather. This scent is masculine and becoming; it could be a signature scent for some. There is some sort of sweetness that I find slightly annoying, and I'm not sure what it is. Overall, pretty nice!

Pascal Morabito Or Black from a sample. So far I’m digging it.

Current Favorites:
    Guerlain Vetiver, Missoni Parfum Pour Homme, Prada Amber Pour Homme Intense, Lalique Pour Homme EDP, Cartier Declaration

Basenotes Plus

Sova by Slumberhouse - I didn't like it at first as I found it to be kind of funky. It's getting better and better as it dries down, though. I get predominantly sweet beeswax and hay. It reminds me of a pumpkin patch. This is an artistic scent but not something I'd consider FBW.

Aramis - Tuscany
    I liked this one. The similarities with Azzaro PH is obvious but it might be a bit thicker.

Verveine Cactus - Loved it.

Kiton for Men - I liked the violet leaf in the opening, but it turned into shaving cream and powder. Sort of reminiscent of the Luna Rossa scents.

Sampled 2 more Gallagher Fragrances today.....Wicked Good and Fineapple. I have now sampled 6 in the Gallagher line and haven't liked a single one of them. None of them even close to liking, much less considering buying. Very surprising.

I found Wicked Good to be wickedly bad. I thought when I first sprayed it on it was going to be nice, as I smelled a chocolatey/boozy smell immediately. Unfortunately, that lasted less than a minute and it soon turned into something that smells exactly like mothballs, and I'm not exaggerating. And this smell lasted a loong time....probably nearly an hour. That's the deal breaker for me. It doesn't matter how great the dry down becomes now. When it smells like mothballs, that's an immediate "no". What in the heck is Gallagher thinking? And this is his best, most expensive fragrance? Sheesh....

When first spraying Fineapple, I was almost SURE that I had finally found a Gallagher scent that I liked enough to buy. It has one of the most wondrous fruity (pineapple, green apple) openings of anything I've ever tried. But this great smell lasted less than 5 minutes and it turned into a scent that smelled like a sweet, somewhat powdery lemon Pledge. This went from being a 100% buy to 100% no way in less than 5 minutes. Seems like Gallagher would ask people exactly what they like about his fragrances before he pronounces them ready for sale.

Gallagher is perhaps the worst house I've ever sampled. At this point, I wouldn't recommend sampling this house to anyone.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Sampled 2 more Gallagher Fragrances today.....Wicked Good and Fineapple. I have now sampled 6 in the Gallagher line and haven't liked a single one of them. None of them even close to liking, much less considering buying. Very surprising.

I found Wicked Good to be wickedly bad. I thought when I first sprayed it on it was going to be nice, as I smelled a chocolatey/boozy smell immediately. Unfortunately, that lasted less than a minute and it soon turned into something that smells exactly like mothballs, and I'm not exaggerating. And this smell lasted a loong time....probably nearly an hour. That's the deal breaker for me. It doesn't matter how great the dry down becomes now. When it smells like mothballs, that's an immediate "no". What in the heck is Gallagher thinking? And this is his best, most expensive fragrance? Sheesh....

When first spraying Fineapple, I was almost SURE that I had finally found a Gallagher scent that I liked enough to buy. It has one of the most wondrous fruity (pineapple, green apple) openings of anything I've ever tried. But this great smell lasted less than 5 minutes and it turned into a scent that smelled like a sweet, somewhat powdery lemon Pledge. This went from being a 100% buy to 100% no way in less than 5 minutes. Seems like Gallagher would ask people exactly what they like about his fragrances before he pronounces them ready for sale.

Gallagher is perhaps the worst house I've ever sampled. At this point, I wouldn't recommend sampling this house to anyone.
    Wow! Not sounding very promising. Have not sampled yet - at all.
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Carolina Herrera Bad Boy Le Parfum.

I wanted to hate this. Sadly, I must report that it's awesome, if you can live with the rapid (1-or-2 hours) die-down of the amazing opening. What sticks around is tremendously enjoyable, but it's simply not as "standing ovation impressive" as the thunderous beginning.
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines

Page 43 of 51 FirstFirst ... 33 41 42 43 44 45 ... LastLast