Code of Conduct
Page 44 of 52 FirstFirst ... 34 42 43 44 45 46 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1546

Default Re: Name the fragrance you tried/smelled today for the first time - 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Brian5701 View Post
    Kiton for Men - I liked the violet leaf in the opening, but it turned into shaving cream and powder. Sort of reminiscent of the Luna Rossa scents.
    Really? I like shaving cream, powder and Luna Rossa but I'm no big fan of Kiton

Default Re: Name the fragrance you tried/smelled today for the first time - 2021

Quick sample in store:

Pasha edt - Cartier: Not my jam. There something bitter/peppery that I am not too fond of
    Stronger with you freeze - Armani: On paper looked nice. Was not a fan of the original, way too sweet. Well, this one is in the exact same vein. Too sweet for my taste.
    Mercurio Solo - Loewe: Maybe the "best" of the three. Rather typical young man (not boyish but certainly not mature) slightly sweet freshy. I do not perceive much figleaf nor geranium like listed. It does not offer something different, I know I have never smelled this before, yet have the feeling I have encountered it a million times.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Luxe calme Volupte - didn't care for it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Cuir-Curcuma by Affinessence - loved it.

Basenotes Junkie

Maison Crivelli Citrus Batikanga. To me, perfect definition of "spicy-citrus" and the name is cool....Batikanga.

I've been looking for a scent like this, not a mainstream citrus and one that I can wear in the warm climate. It checks all the boxes.

Hats off to Maison Crivelli for the free shipping from France - arrived in roughly 10 days.
    "And I am a weapon of massive consumption
    and its not my fault its how I'm program to function"
    Currently wearing: Viking Cologne by Creed

Escentric Molecules Molecule 01 + Mandarin: I found this to actually be a pleasant fragrance. As most know, compliments are reportedly frequent with Molecule 01, and adding mandarin certainly shouldn't change that. The fragrance is really exactly what I envisioned when I saw the name of it.

I am not interested in this fragrance for myself, but for someone looking for a light, pleasant scent that is versatile, complimented, and can be worn year 'round, then Molecule 01 + Mandarin would be MILES better than the offensive ambroxan-loaded scents so many houses have gone to today.

I just sampled this with a couple of dabs on the back of my hand and I've been getting nice wafts of it now for hours. That's the way these fragrances work, and heavy sprayings are not necessary. I'm now kind of anxious to smell the new Molecule 01 + Iris and Molecule 01 + Patchouli. Simple can frequently be very good sometimes.
    Basenotes sales: TDC de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/472...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

From Parfum Dusita:

Cavatina: It is alright. Well blended and elegant but the scent DNA is a bit "deja vue".

Melodie de l'Amour
    : Same as above

Erawan: It is good, but it does not go all the way for me. Could have been greener, could have been fresher (or deeper), it is almost frustrating. It feels like a dusty green scent that stays rather close to skin. Edit: Drydown still ofc close to skin but the scent becomes much smoother, loising bit its hashy characteristic but it is quite nice.

Issara: Now this one is a beauty. Could not put my finger on, but it smells very similar to a mix of Eau de Baux and Ambre tabac by Daniel Josier. Sounds appealing? Tabac from the later and the smooth/christmas vibe from the former. Love it, pricetag not so much unfortunately

Moonlight in Chiangmai: Bit disapointed. It is also clearly good, but way sweeter that I would have though. There is something almost synthetic what Dusita is not known for. Not a fan.
    Last edited by ImaFedec; 18th June 2021 at 02:04 PM.

Santalum Slivers by Kerosene. Pleasant citrus.

Acte D'Amour Furtifan - Loved it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Creed Viking - pretty nice, although a bit too sweet and boring, full bottle definitely not worth the asking price for me.
    Creed Royal Mayfair - my nose often registers lime as rubbery-smelling and slightly off-putting, and that applies here. I was expecting a fresh, not musty, opening.
    Amouage Beach Hut Man - watery (as in hollow, not aquatic) and cheap smelling mix, plus too sweet and discordant.
    Houbigant Duc de Vervins - pleasant, reminds me of a polite Esencia Loewe and as such, I'll choose the latter.
    Montale Aoud Cuir d'Arabie - quite good, slightly medicinal leather purse smell. I get an Epic Man vibe with the oud, but prefer the Epic.
    Annick Goutal Eau du Sud - one of the worst I've smelled in a long time.
    Miller Harris Feuilles de Tabac - I expected it to be smoother and fuller, the tobacco accord felt a bit harsh and piercing. Vintage Roger & Gallet Open does this vibe much better for me.
    Spray less, love more.

Went to LV and finally tried the much loved Nuit de Feu.

It is nice but I feel like it has a very similar oud accord found in Nouveau Monde and Ombre Nomade. I dunno, I was expecting more but to me it wasn't all that different from all the leathery slightly bitter synthetic ouds I've smelled so many times before. I was also hoping for more incense.

I do appreciate this wears lightly, it is a more sheer take on a genre that can often feel heavy and obnoxious. I did notice the sillage was pretty sexy, especially as my body heated up later in the day.

It actually reminds me of two Hermes both of which are cheaper and better imo. It has a very similar smooth leather accord as Cuir d'Ange with the sheer soft oudness of Agar Ebene. I own both of these, so I think I'd be happier just layering these two than spending $360 on Nuit de Feu.

I also tried Imagination while I was there. Not bad, but so many of the freshies from the line really smell like a pleasant body wash. This isn't perfume with a capital P, this is a pleasant smell for the price of Perfume.
    "I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones."
    -John Cage

Dior Feve Delicieuse - Really nice. Gourmand, but not as sweet (or as strong) as I was expecting. This and Guerlain Tonka Imperiale are on my list. I may like this better.

Basenotes Junkie

Stirling EMP

Labeled as an Aventus Inspired fragrance with increased Pineapple & Birch.

Smells like a creamier spin on the Aventus DNA. Almost like they added a Coconut note alongside the Pineapple to make it more Pina Colada like. Upclose it doesn't smell too much like Aventus and is sort of tingly, but the sillage has more of a resemblance from what I percieve as the Aventus DNA from the Bergamot + Black Currant.

So, all in all, a creamier/thicker smelling Aventus, with less Citruses than usual

Basenotes Plus

Santa Maria Novella - Vetiver

Oooh wow! It starts off with a rough vetiver (in a good way!); very earthy. Then soon after it lightens up a bit, but still rugged and an awesome fruity citrus joins in.

This is excellent! It's very earthy.

Edit: It's quite a woody vetiver; smells like unfinished wood or something.

Last edited by ILikePeeps; 19th June 2021 at 05:30 AM.
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Plus

Santa Maria Novella - Tabacco Toscano

Kind of sandalwood-y? A bit balmy. Sweet. Makes me think of like a lighter Chergui with added baby powder-ness. I like it!

Seems to change VERY quickly after the brief opening; more soapy. And something that reminds me of a marker smell.

I don't like the perceived change as much as the opening - the opening was potential buy worthy.

Edit: I get some kind of leather-y smell later.

Last edited by ILikePeeps; 19th June 2021 at 05:29 AM.
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Oud Sublime by El Nabil - didn't care for it.

Basenotes Plus

Widian - Rose Arabia - Almond

Hmm, not what I'm looking for. Jasmine comes to mind; like a moth ball-y smell. But it does have a nice musk or something entwined in it, and sweetness. But that jasmine/mothball/whatever aspect is a bit much in the opening. Almost a classic feminine mixed with a modern musk/sweet base?

Edit: Ah, I think it might be tuberose. It's a white floral smell. This might be a bigger hit with women. Not sure if the peach is having a big effect or not; I'm a bit weary of 'peach' being listed in fragrances, as they seem to be more feminine type creations that don't jive with me as much.

After the opening it smells better. Not my style, but good!

All Hail King Kouros!

Montale Vetiver Patchouli: I'm only about 30 minutes into this, but so far, it smells fantastic. Hope it holds! Great opening!
    Basenotes sales: TDC de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/472...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Wood Haven by Kerosene. Smoky citrus vetiver. Pass.

Basenotes Junkie

Boss Man in Motion:
    Almost syrupy sweet orange smell with some oiliness to keep it from becoming too much. Something about it reminds me of cookies or something, kinda tough to describe this one but it seems so familiar at the same time

Sean John I Am King of the Night:
    Smells borderline animalic and not like the original at all IMO. Makes me wonder if the bottle was bad or fake because Fragrantica associates them as being similar

Elie Saab Rose - Fourth in my collection of Elie Saab Essences, and not exactly what I was expecting. The other three that I have (Neroli, Vetiver and Oud) all have fairly similar bright-spicy DNA with a distinctive clove note; this is a thick, jammy, vanilla-haze rose that reminds me of a much more refined Mancera Roses Vanille. I like it, but not exactly what I was expecting.

Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Herba Fresca - This is unmistakably mint, especially in the top where the mint is photorealistic and almost too much. Very green, bright, and refreshing. The dry down takes it into slightly warmer territory, where it starts to smell more like a unisex EdC version of Guerlain Homme with the mint connection. A nice choice for a refreshing green EdC with no prominent citrus or white florals, just minty greenery.

Montale Red Vetiver - Yep, this is TdH. Full stop. That’s basically it. I mean, it’s a bit more astringently peppery/woodsy, but it’s really close. Not surprising when they’re basically in the same price bracket. I bought a tester for ~$40, no regrets on the blind buy, but when/if it runs out I won’t hesitate to go back to TdH. And since I already have TdH, I doubt I’ll run out of this. If I wanted another Montale in this vein, I’d get Greyland or Intense Pepper, which are similar but without any citrus.
    “I have often observed that [scents] cause an alteration in me and work upon my spirits according to their several virtues; which makes me approve of what is said, that the use of incense and perfumes in churches, so ancient and so universally received in all nations and religions, was intended to cheer us, and to rouse and purify the senses, the better to fit us for contemplation” - Montaigne
    Currently wearing: Greyland by Montale

Basenotes Plus

Masque - Ray-Flection

Reminds me of a cherry cough drop - but more pleasant. Up close it smells differently, more of a spiced fruity smell. No idea what the notes are right now.
    It kinda smells like a L'Artisan, like.. Timbuktu or something-ish.

Interesting composition, and pretty darn unique in my experience.

All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Plus

Loree Rodkin - Gothic I EdP

It smacks you in the face with what first smelled like eucalyptus oil or something; but it may be a mix of patchouli and spices? I'm not sure, but it's recognizable - it has that indie feel to it.

This is supposed to be a vanilla fragrance, but it's not an easily identifiable "yeah, vanilla perfume" type of scent.

It's pretty pleasant, but it takes a second to 'figure out' in your head. Not vanilla dominant, so far, as things like... SDV or Cuir Beluga or Ani, etc.

It's almost like a medicinal take of vanilla and spices (or incense?). Boozy comes to mind also?
    It's not a heavy/thick/opaque perfume, it's more 'airy'/spaced I guess.

Last edited by ILikePeeps; 20th June 2021 at 07:51 PM.
    All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Plus

Santa Maria Novella - Vaniglia

Extremely boozy in the opening. It smells like an actual drink. Like cognac or something.

All Hail King Kouros!

The Scented Devil
    Blog Entries

M de Morabtio

and

M by Purdistance

M&M's minus the candy coating.

Reviewed both
    Reviews Wordpress Archive here --> The Scented Devil
    Instagram here --> Varanis Ridari @the_scented_devil
    Formerly Zealot Crusader

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Rochas Moustache EDP.

Great stuff. I think I like the "Moustache Original 1949" EDT better, just because it's more my style, but two great fragrances there. The EDP performs wonderfully, too. Strong, holds together, sillage and projection but smells great. My advice - buy both!!!
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines

Songe à la douceur - Loved it.

Basenotes Plus

Les Indemodables - Vanille Havane

A bit smokey, fruity, sweet. But it smells like it has a fossilized amber or something aspect to it; reminds me of both Ambra Aurea and Or du Serail. Like a hybrid of both.

Spices, cocoa, tobacco, dried fruits... makes it smell fruity & smoky-esque. Not bad at all. A bit of a high brow perfume; not a daily wear, not the 'easiest' wear.

Edit: The tobacco is quite forward. Like a chocolate-y tobacco, but NOT immature or overly sweet.

All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Plus

Tom Daxon - Sicilian Wood

Nice lemon-y opening, but it has something else in there that reminds me of.. hmm.. I'm not sure. Like a milky floral or custard or something. Oh, it might be the cardamom mixed with citruses. A familiar but also quite different fresh opening. So far so good.

All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Member

D&G Light Blue Sun. Delightful.
    Currently wearing: Essential by Lacoste

Page 44 of 52 FirstFirst ... 34 42 43 44 45 46 ... LastLast