Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Dependent

Default Name the fragrance you tried/smelled today for the first time - 2021

Name the fragrance you tried/smelled today for the first time.

Link to the original thread: https://www.basenotes.net/threads/40...the-first-time

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Name the fragrance you tried/smelled today for the first time - 2021

Woo! A yearly thread for it, alrighty cool. Just got some samples in and a vintage Chanel is arriving tomorrow (hopefully!).
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Default Re: Name the fragrance you tried/smelled today for the first time - 2021

I got a slew of samples by a number of fellow BNers so I'll be working on those after the new year.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Rouge Smoking by BDK. Not feminine at all.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & B˙zios Brasil

Avec La Pluie - Loved it
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Junkie

Olympic Orchids - Bay rum
    not bad but very strong on the "Bay St Thomas" EO

Olympic Orchids - Tucson
    really good, more mainstream than others from the brand but really well made

Sayidati - Loved it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Nasomatto - Baraonda: Wow!

Edit:
    The Yulong: Mediocre. Not bad, but it's similar enough to one of the Bulgari scents that I don't find it noteworthy.

Basenotes Plus

Ermenegildo Zegna - Elements of Man: Passion (sprayed on her the other day, but myself today)

Very similar to something else I've smelled, I just can't remember what it is.

I get.... an oud (a more rubber-y faux oud, I feel), a kind of berry aspect, some sweetness but not a lot. Semi-dry, but semi-wet.
    I think the faux-oud aspect is just the saffron and maybe amber or something playing tricks on me, as I'm used to smelling saffron with oud so my mind resorts to that. Rum maybe more prominent than the cognac, can't say I pick up much cognac, hm.

Not bad at all, but a pass for me as far as full bottle worthy.

It's one of those unfortunate frags that SMELL GOOD, but it's just missing the 'it' factor. The 'wow', the pizazz. It doesn't have the spark.
    It's more a mellowed, "Yeah, that smells good."

Last edited by ILikePeeps; 1st January 2021 at 09:28 PM.
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Plus

D.S. & Durga - El Cosmico

....no. What the heck is this, haha. It smelled like toothpaste from the sample vial. On skin it's like... watered down toothpaste, more rounded edges, no 'bite'.

Very strange. Total pass.

All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Institution The Colognnoisseur's Avatar

Banana Republic Oud Mosaic
    THE COLOGNNOISSEUR
    OMAHA, NE
    USA

My Fragrancebuy.ca order has arrived and both these are stunning! The Chopard really, really surprised me as I wasn't sure what to expect other than the notes call to mind Mexican hot chocolate (and there is a cacao note in there with peppers.) Interestingly, my order from another Canadian outfit, nichessence.com, shipped about the same time and they're both located in/around the Toronto metro area. Fragrancebuy drops their shipments off in Buffalo while NicheEssence is coming via FedEx international and took the route through Michigan. Both were to be delivered today, on a Saturday, but I'm not holding my breath for the Naxos in the other shipment as that was still in Michigan, albeit only 3+ hrs away, as of this morning. Just interesting they took different routes.

As for Dolce & Gabbana Velvet Amber Sun: Yes, this does smell quite a bit like Tom Ford's Amber Absolute. That I got it for $80 and change makes me feel like I committed a felony. Sure, there are some differences, but overall, from my recollection, it's quite similar without some of the dirtier aspects of Amber Absolute.

Update: Several hours later (5.5 - 6) this is still going strong. Definitely get the vanilla in the base with amber and still feel like this is Amber Absolute's lost cousin. I can tell this one is going to be on my skin for quite some time.

Chopard Or de Calambac has top notes are Star Anise and Pink Pepper; middle notes are Hazelnut, Cacao, Juniper, Tonka Bean and Cinnamon; base notes are Laotian Oud, Myrhh, Vetiver, Agarwood (Oud), Cypress, Guaiac Wood and Labdanum. This opened up very green to me and reminiscent of something else with "green pepper" note I've smelled before. I was expecting something heavier, denser, perhaps thicker - but this was kind of "bright" in its own unexpected way and very, very classy. It's already evolving on my skin, but gosh - I'm REALLY liking this. What a way to start out the new year.

Update: This is really a surprise. So, this entire Gardens of Kings line is eco-friendly and apparently made from all naturals. Though they credit the Oud as being trademarked with "Oud Assafi," it's apparently done so for the processing purposes of Oud Assam which is "recognized as the most precious Oud in the world." Whether that's for marketing purposes or the truth, I dunno. What's surprising to me is there's a stage of development where I could swear I smell something like ambroxan - well done, like in a few other high-end perfumes I've smelled, yet there's the testament to all natural ingredients being used. Quite the parlor trick.

As this settles and into several hours later, the notes are all very well blended together that nothing in particular stands out - though there is the semblance of each floating about (cocoa, hazelnut, a touch of cinnamon, etc.). It's just a smooth scent. Very well done by Albert Morillas.

2nd Update: I read through the booklet included and saw there were some notes listed that aren't on the internet, one being red pepper. I suddenly realized where the opening I thought reminded me of something else came from: L'Artisan Piment Brulant opens with chili pepper and has that same accord as here, plus it shares similar notes of cacao and cinnamon - but the two fragrances don't smell much alike after that.

I also have a sample of Amouage's Interlude 53 arriving today. If the other shipment makes it, that will also include three samples of things I haven't tried yet, either, so it's going to be a very smelly weekend.

IMG_5290.jpg
    Last edited by The Bark; 2nd January 2021 at 09:38 PM.
    Find out Wassup! In Las Vegas here --> https://www.wassupinlasvegas.com The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com
    Currently wearing: Journey Man by Amouage

Silky Sandalwood - Loved it.

Amouage Interlude 53 - from a sample. This opens noticeably different to my nose. There's a definite "greenness" to it, but I don't smell oregano, per se. If it's there, it's not as sharp and piercing as it is in the opening of the original. Rather, this opens with a more woody smell to it - and, as I read/heard somewhere else, an almost "ancient" feel about it. As it develops, slowly, it has a very smokey feel to it that is accompanied by an almost mentholated note. I haven't a clue what it could be, but it lasts just for a couple of minutes.

At this point, I'm thinking... hmmm. Not sure about this. It's not bad... it's just... different. And then it happens: the sweetness of the opoponex lacking in Black Iris comes thru giving this an almost candied feeling to it. It's smooth, it's smokey, alluring amongst other things. It's not that unlike the original, but there's a depth to it all. The closest I can come to analogy-wise is Interlude Man is like watching a film in 2-D, and Interlude Man 53 is like watching it in 3D. Everything just "pops" with more texture and depth to it. It's what I would imagine kids/younger people growing up in the digital-age of music hearing vinyl for the first time would experience. It's the same song. Same lyrics. Same instruments. Same performers... but you're experiencing it through an entire different realm now which makes it fascinating.

I can't speak performance-wise at this point in terms of longevity, but it feels like it's going to last quite a while - no problemo. Projection-wise, I expected this to cling a little closer to the skin and it does, but that doesn't mean it's a slouch by any means. I only have a 2ml sprayer and a couple of squirts are doing the job with putting me in a blissful cloud of ambery-smoke. With the price point of the original Amouage fragrances creeping up in terms of full retail, we're essentially talking an extra $100 for essentially twice the concentration which, to me, seems like a heck of a deal (though understandably it's much more of a reach if one is purchasing the original at discounted prices.)
    Find out Wassup! In Las Vegas here --> https://www.wassupinlasvegas.com The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com
    Currently wearing: Journey Man by Amouage

Basenotes Plus

My bottle of Chanel - A Gentleman's Cologne arrived today. Very nice! Definitely gentlemanly, soft, elegant. No harsh or sharp edges.

Anyone else who owns this (or Pour Monsieur, or Chanel for Men) - tips on how much to apply? It's a 60's or so 4oz splash, and I'm not sure how much to apply! Just rub generously over my forearms and neck/torso? lol.

(I previously tried a sample of Chanel for Men, which I totally forgot about: https://www.basenotes.net/threads/40...=1#post4650682 )

Not my bottle, but for reference:
    All Hail King Kouros!

Canali Men by Canali.

While I probably smelled this quickly in the Canali boutique at Harry Rosen a long time ago it was surely just a sniff from the placard before agreeing to take a few samples with me, pay for my Canali tie and then depart. After that the samples were placed in Sample Land to be both forgotten and overlooked all this time.

If only a decade and some time ago (maybe 15 years?) I had actually taken the time to sample and wear this properly I surely would have grabbed a bottle. Instead, being of the mind to have something venturing into the fruity-woody domain I opted for the far more gentle Classic 1920 by Bois 1920, a singular bottle of which has lasted me as I’ve only casually nursed it and must still be hovering at 25mL.

So I’m really only experiencing this today after pulling it from its long-held cool storage. And what a polished, refined fruity-woody breath of fresh air! Canali Men (2005) encroaches well on the level of class it intends to serve its wearer. Warm yet clean, just the slightest touch of soapy, and a powdery refrain in the most refined tradition. The fruitiness, in particular, is given a punch with the pineapple (there goes Pierre Bourdon again with the pineapple!), and while the middle reads as a comprehensive overture to floral nuances it is so well blended. Whereas the Bois 1920 is more fruity-woody this one is fruity-floral-woody but, again, the blending is so well executed that this one is more for the impressions than the note pinpointing. Presumably the warmth comes from the sandalwood-leather-tonka-musk base, with cedar amping the woodiness and vetiver helping to elevate the clean top and middle notes while also adding perhaps only the tiniest dollop of green. On the latter, I dunno, perhaps my detection of the green isn’t accurate, but it is at most only minimal. And, to be clear, the leather here is more of a suede.

Still in the middle of wearing this one. Frag experience already tells me, however, that this one will likely last no more than 4-5 hours. It’s a gentle scent with no more than a moderate projection. At 2 hours it is already indicating that will settle close to the skin for the last half of it’s journey. So while the beastmodites need not apply I have long ago found peace with eau de colognes and eau de toilettes which I really enjoy and am not whatsoever inimical to the practice of reapplication - whether Summertime neroli concoctions or Bottega Veneta Pour Homme (despite the existence of an “Extreme” and Parfum which, IMO, just change what I love about the original) - I appreciate what I really like and will reconcile any misgivings on longevity with a simple reapplication. Nobody gets hurt and no prisoners taken.

Ladies and gentleman, behold the example of a BN’er who messed up royally. The lesson being that you never hold a sample for so many years lest you return to it and realize something special you might have missed. Now all these years later, where once I would have clearly opted for Canali Men over other fruity-woody standard bearers for which my personal affections attach a certain gentlemanly countenance to, I will have to contend with a vanishing reality meets the unicorn broker. Now glimpsing at the current extraordinarily high price point how I wish my foolishness hadn’t gotten in the way and I had made acquisitions during the circa 2005-2007 fair market value. All for being inattentive for what was sorta in front of me. Lesson learned.

Great scent.

Bummer on me.
    Currently wearing: Vintage by John Varvatos

Got a hold of that vintage miniature of Oscar Pour Lui- dang! Feels rawer, rougher bolderand more animalic than I'm used to. Phew!

Also a.miniature of Moschino Pour Homme. Now, wow, this is pretty got stuff. Dense like attar, dank fecal note like barnyard , stays stiff and sways a little bel.ami and a little Pour Lui. So good I ordered a bigger one!!
    Currently wearing: ╔quipage by HermŔs

Vatinee - didn't like it.

War & Peace - didn't care for it.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    War & Peace - didn't care for it.
    This one gets a lot of praise around here. I haven't tried it, but it looks interesting. Anything in particular that caused you to dislike it?

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    This one gets a lot of praise around here. I haven't tried it, but it looks interesting. Anything in particular that caused you to dislike it?
    Just not for me.

Basenotes Plus

Xerjoff - Lira

Received this sample along with an order today.

Yum! Really gourmand! Sweet, but not over the top sweet. It has a bit of class. I definitely get the resemblance to Kerosene Unknown Pleasures in the opening, specifically.

Just a pleasant easy-going gourmand. Nice stuff. Waiting on a bottle of it; so the sample came in handy.

All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by The Bark View Post
    My Fragrancebuy.ca order has arrived and both these are stunning! The Chopard really, really surprised me as I wasn't sure what to expect other than the notes call to mind Mexican hot chocolate (and there is a cacao note in there with peppers.) Interestingly, my order from another Canadian outfit, nichessence.com, shipped about the same time and they're both located in/around the Toronto metro area. Fragrancebuy drops their shipments off in Buffalo while NicheEssence is coming via FedEx international and took the route through Michigan. Both were to be delivered today, on a Saturday, but I'm not holding my breath for the Naxos in the other shipment as that was still in Michigan, albeit only 3+ hrs away, as of this morning. Just interesting they took different routes.

As for Dolce & Gabbana Velvet Amber Sun: Yes, this does smell quite a bit like Tom Ford's Amber Absolute. That I got it for $80 and change makes me feel like I committed a felony. Sure, there are some differences, but overall, from my recollection, it's quite similar without some of the dirtier aspects of Amber Absolute.

Update: Several hours later (5.5 - 6) this is still going strong. Definitely get the vanilla in the base with amber and still feel like this is Amber Absolute's lost cousin. I can tell this one is going to be on my skin for quite some time.

Chopard Or de Calambac has top notes are Star Anise and Pink Pepper; middle notes are Hazelnut, Cacao, Juniper, Tonka Bean and Cinnamon; base notes are Laotian Oud, Myrhh, Vetiver, Agarwood (Oud), Cypress, Guaiac Wood and Labdanum. This opened up very green to me and reminiscent of something else with "green pepper" note I've smelled before. I was expecting something heavier, denser, perhaps thicker - but this was kind of "bright" in its own unexpected way and very, very classy. It's already evolving on my skin, but gosh - I'm REALLY liking this. What a way to start out the new year.

Update: This is really a surprise. So, this entire Gardens of Kings line is eco-friendly and apparently made from all naturals. Though they credit the Oud as being trademarked with "Oud Assafi," it's apparently done so for the processing purposes of Oud Assam which is "recognized as the most precious Oud in the world." Whether that's for marketing purposes or the truth, I dunno. What's surprising to me is there's a stage of development where I could swear I smell something like ambroxan - well done, like in a few other high-end perfumes I've smelled, yet there's the testament to all natural ingredients being used. Quite the parlor trick.

As this settles and into several hours later, the notes are all very well blended together that nothing in particular stands out - though there is the semblance of each floating about (cocoa, hazelnut, a touch of cinnamon, etc.). It's just a smooth scent. Very well done by Albert Morillas.

2nd Update: I read through the booklet included and saw there were some notes listed that aren't on the internet, one being red pepper. I suddenly realized where the opening I thought reminded me of something else came from: L'Artisan Piment Brulant opens with chili pepper and has that same accord as here, plus it shares similar notes of cacao and cinnamon - but the two fragrances don't smell much alike after that.

I also have a sample of Amouage's Interlude 53 arriving today. If the other shipment makes it, that will also include three samples of things I haven't tried yet, either, so it's going to be a very smelly weekend.

IMG_5290.jpg
    Awesome, thanks for your thoughts!
    All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Junkie

Montale Fougeres Marines:
    Smells extremely familiar, but I don't know what fragrance it reminds me of. A lot of reviews say 90s Aquatic smell, which is the general vibe I'm getting. I get a slight boozy vibe also. Not my style but not bad or anything. Unisex-Masculine

Montale Aqua Gold:
    Can't imagine anything similar, it's pretty unique for a freshie IMO. Mostly get Lavender, Citrus and a hint of Leather or something in the background. Theres something in here that I like and will likely try wearing later. Unisex-masculine

Montale Starry Nights:
    I like this so far, and it was the one I was least sure about. Smells like Intense Cafe's Rose + Vanilla mixed with 1 Million or something like that, IMO. Will have to retry this, initial impression is good. Unisex

Basenotes Plus

Roja Parfums Aoud
    Excellent as always from Roja. Clean and austere with a velvety smooth feel. Very similar to MFK Oud Satin Mood Extrait (which I already own) but the Roja creation is much more smooth and clean. Honestly, if I had discovered this before Oud Satin Mood, I would have easily chosen this. As it stands however, I already own the MFK and there are too many similarities to own both, IMO.
    Current Winter Favorites
    Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    Xerjoff Naxos
    MFK Oud Satin Mood Extrait
    Pure Distance M
    Nasomatto Black Afgano
    Dior Homme Intense
    Guerlain L'instant de Guerlain Extreme
    Clive Christian X Twist Tabac
    Xerjoff JTC More than Words
    Amouage Tribute Attar
    Tom Ford Black Orchid Parfum

Dior Ambre Nuit. I like it a lot. It reminds me of Chanel ╔go´ste.

It’s the first I’ve tried from the Maison Christian Dior line; a sample of Bois D’Argent arrived today, but I haven’t had an opportunity to try it.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by FISS80 View Post
    Roja Parfums Aoud
    Excellent as always from Roja. Clean and austere with a velvety smooth feel. Very similar to MFK Oud Satin Mood Extrait (which I already own) but the Roja creation is much more smooth and clean. Honestly, if I had discovered this before Oud Satin Mood, I would have easily chosen this. As it stands however, I already own the MFK and there are too many similarities to own both, IMO.
    Nice write up. I'm really interested in trying this one as I've tried both Amber Aoud and Musk Aoud, finding them to be excellent compositions, yet I haven't tried Aoud. I did enjoy Oud Satin Mood, so I think I'd like this one.

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

Pinaud Clubman Lime Sec. Smells great. Very fresh bright citrus cologne. Very powerful when applied but seems to fade quickly.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Frederic Malle Lys Mediterranee. Beautiful floral composition, but leans too feminine on my skin.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Roja Parfums H The Exclusive Aoud
    3. Mugler Over the Musk
    4. Molinard Patchouli
    5. Tiziana Terenzi Ursa

Basenotes Junkie

Montale Starry Nights:
    I get a huge amount of patchouli on my skin, not for me.

Montale So Amber:
    Without the Potpourri smell this is very close to my tastes. In fact after my attempt to wash it off, it actually smells pretty nice. The Raspberry-Rose note is enjoyable. Might give this another try.

Most likely done sampling Montale for a while. Sweet Vanilla is great and I am planning on getting a bottle, Intense Cafe, Chocolate Greedy and Vanilla Cake are all good but too descriptive(?) of certain things for me to wear on a normal everyday basis, but otherwise smell good.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast