Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Today I finished - Perfumes used up in 2021

Happy Perfume Year!

By mod request, “Today I finished” is going yearly, and this is the new thread for perfume finished in 2021.

For New Year’s I will be saying goodbye to a great batch of Chanel No 5 from decades ago. Will post proof when the bottle is empty.

What have you finished, as 2021 unfolds?

Here’s a link to the old thread (now closed) for reference purposes:
    https://www.basenotes.net/threads/37...day-I-Finished

Last edited by FiveoaksBouquet; 30th December 2020 at 11:28 PM.
    ​"It was foolish of her not to have bought a larger bottle."

Dorothy Eden, The Time of the Dragon

Default Re: Today I finished - Perfumes used up in 2021

Well, It’s January 1st and I’ve finished a bottle, as noted above: vintage No 5 parfum. I love the little dabber bottle and will refill it with newer stock.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I have 365 days to finish something in 2021 so stay tuned!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Something to look forward to!

Oooh, that's a pretty little bottle of No.5, FiveOaks, no wonder you want to keep it and refill it!

I finished my first this year, too: bye bye Rebelle by Rihanna! I wanted to spray some on my mask, scarf and maybe on myself before going out for a walk today and finish it, but realized there's nothing to spray and finish already! It was one of my blind buys at the start of pandemic to soothe the itch for novelty - I saw a small bottle for cheap and ordered it because it had coffee and cacao in the notes, and I love these notes. It still was a bit too sweet for me (it's a proper celebrity perfume after all - but I'd say it's a pretty unique one) so I played a lot with layering it to tame the sweetness and it was pretty fun along the way. I also sprayed my masks with it lately both to finish it quicker and because having a scented mask is a very nice distraction from all the discomforts of wearing one - and a perfume helps sanitize it, too.

Additionally, Rebelle easily wins the contest of the ugliest and least manageable bottle I ever had. I binned the empty bottle with joy. But it's quite a fun, uncomplicated, fruity and bittersweet (with the emphasis on sweet) coffee perfume to wear around home.

Congrats, CA! Good idea spraying the mask.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ClockworkAlice View Post
    Oooh, that's a pretty little bottle of No.5, FiveOaks, no wonder you want to keep it and refill it!

I finished my first this year, too: bye bye Rebelle by Rihanna! I wanted to spray some on my mask, scarf and maybe on myself before going out for a walk today and finish it, but realized there's nothing to spray and finish already! It was one of my blind buys at the start of pandemic to soothe the itch for novelty - I saw a small bottle for cheap and ordered it because it had coffee and cacao in the notes, and I love these notes. It still was a bit too sweet for me (it's a proper celebrity perfume after all - but I'd say it's a pretty unique one) so I played a lot with layering it to tame the sweetness and it was pretty fun along the way. I also sprayed my masks with it lately both to finish it quicker and because having a scented mask is a very nice distraction from all the discomforts of wearing one - and a perfume helps sanitize it, too.

Additionally, Rebelle easily wins the contest of the ugliest and least manageable bottle I ever had. I binned the empty bottle with joy. But it's quite a fun, uncomplicated, fruity and bittersweet (with the emphasis on sweet) coffee perfume to wear around home.
    I have this mask that reeks of Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve just because I put it on one day about 5 min after applying aftershave.

Quote Originally Posted by FiveoaksBouquet View Post
    Congrats, CA! Good idea spraying the mask.
    Yeah, I've been spraying my masks since spring and been enjoying it.

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    I have this mask that reeks of Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve just because I put it on one day about 5 min after applying aftershave.
    Haha, never thought about dabbing masks with a scent, but you did it unintentionally!

queen of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    and here I've wondered if you've ever worn anything twice XD. Do keep us apprised! And surprised!

I finished vintage Fabergé Aphrodisia as I synched with the Drugstore Classics theme. And by finished I mean shaking those last drops onto my wrist. SOTE will be Fabergé Flambeau, which probably has about three wears left. Scent memories of my teens and early twenties, aah!
    Là, tout n'est qu'ordre et beauté,
    Luxe, calme et volupté.

Baudelaire, L'Invitation au voyage

Quote Originally Posted by jujy54 View Post
    and here I've wondered if you've ever worn anything twice XD. Do keep us apprised! And surprised!

I finished vintage Fabergé Aphrodisia as I synched with the Drugstore Classics theme. And by finished I mean shaking those last drops onto my wrist. SOTE will be Fabergé Flambeau, which probably has about three wears left. Scent memories of my teens and early twenties, aah!
    Those Fabergé scents were very distinctive—and potent!

Finished a travel spray (10ml) of 1845 by Mount Romance. The last few mls were used as room spray. Not replenishing, prefer Coco EDT and Opium EDT for my oriental go-to scents.
    No baiting/trolling. No insults. No politics. Read the Code of Conduct.

Big day for me today - finished the last drops of my lovely 30 ml bottle of Black Opium that I had and loved since 2018. I think I had a sample since the end of 2017 or something, but decided to get a bottle only a year later and fell over heels for the scent. 75 wears recorded here in Basenotes, a bit more in reality since this is the scent that got me interested in fragrances and eventually landed me here. Goodbye, my sweet prince. It was a pleasure knowing you.
    I don't think I will repurchase it - at least not yet, especially that I still have a mini of Black Opium Intense and a mini of Noir Exquis if I want that gourmand coffee. Maybe some day though, if I get nostalgic. It's a very cozy scent, but others are calling me right now.

Goodbye, my sweet prince. It was a pleasure knowing you.
    I don't think I will repurchase it - at least not yet, especially that I still have a mini of Black Opium Intense and a mini of Noir Exquis if I want that gourmand coffee. Maybe some day though, if I get nostalgic. It's a very cozy scent, but others are calling me right now.
    I like your attitude! I aspire to be so devil-may-care about finishing and not replacing.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotori View Post
    I like your attitude! I aspire to be so devil-may-care about finishing and not replacing.
    I'm only devil-may-care about my likes and past loves. There's a certain joy of having a scent you enjoy wearing and just moving on to the next one when it's over. All fun and no hard feelings.
    I have backups of most of my biggest favourites though, so not as devil-may-care as you might think!

I also noticed I start wearing something at full speed when I decide I don't want a second bottle of it and the first one is getting lower just to finish it quicker. I often feel like "saving" my favourites, too, which I think is dumb. It's probably wiser to just wear your favourites as often as possible - they might not be the biggest favourites a few years from now and you'll have missed a lot of joy saving them up.

Finished off my bottle of Angélique Noire, backup bottle already in place. :-)

Yesterday I finished a bottle that I bought twelve years ago. This is the second 50 ml I finished of Clinique Happy and I think our journey now has come to an end. I got my first from my high school sweetheart wearing it like a signature. I repurchased it and now it is done. It will have it's special place for sure.

unnamed.jpg

Glad to know I'm not the only one spraying my masks with perfumes. (Even my husband likes it when I do it on his. He likes perfume on me, but isn't totally trained into being scentsible yet.)

Hmmm... don't think anything is in danger or being binned this year, though I was shocked to find that I'm halfway through a bottle of Lipstick Rose by Frederic Malle. Should I ever finish it, I'd definitely repurchase it. No, my usual hoarding behavior has continued, I purchased another bottle of Safran Troublant, Nuit de Tubereuse and Idylle, all in danger of actually running out some day, since I actually like, wear, and use them liberally.

Going to have to go have a look at that Rebelle bottle though. Seems irksome, and therefore, interesting.

I also noticed I start wearing something at full speed when I decide I don't want a second bottle of it and the first one is getting lower just to finish it quicker. I often feel like "saving" my favourites, too, which I think is dumb. It's probably wiser to just wear your favourites as often as possible - they might not be the biggest favourites a few years from now and you'll have missed a lot of joy saving them up.
    Good point. I put on Shalimar extrait two days ago and it was ALL WRONG. Didn't enjoy it one bit, and I was stuck with it all day. Should have worn it more 5 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndSky View Post
    Good point. I put on Shalimar extrait two days ago and it was ALL WRONG. Didn't enjoy it one bit, and I was stuck with it all day. Should have worn it more 5 years ago.
    Ouch.
    Maybe try it again a few months from now - sometimes a certain mood or day can ruin a scent that time, but not the other?

Finished this year so far:

Eau de Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene.
    Had it for about a decade and thoroughly enjoyed it.
    I will not be replacing it anytime soon though.
    Waiting for Hednic's 8th star

Good work, people!

Today marked the end of the initial small bottle of Chanel Le Lion, shown here with a reassuring new large bottle waiting in the wings. Le Lion quickly became part of the Permanent Collection.

My bottle of SL Feminite du Bois has just run out!
    Eek!

I am also close to finishing Hot Couture by Givenchy.

I hope to replace the former but not the latter.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

I’m not old, I’m vintage.

I finished my sample of Olympic Orchids Café V. I can see why people like it, but it’s not for me.

Good work, people!

Today marked the end of the initial small bottle of Chanel Le Lion, shown here with a reassuring new large bottle waiting in the wings. Le Lion quickly became part of the Permanent Collection.

Impressive! How long have you had it?
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotori View Post
    Impressive! How long have you had it?
    Checking back, the small bottle of Le Lion arrived on December 17th, about 8-1/2 weeks.

Checking back, the small bottle of Le Lion arrived on December 17th, about 8-1/2 weeks.
    Wow, you're fast! I'm also impressed you call a 75 ml bottle small. To me it's big!

Basenotes Plus

Wow, you're fast! I'm also impressed you call a 75 ml bottle small. To me it's big!
    Yes, at first I thought the 'small' bottle in front was maybe a 15ml travel spray! 75ml in 8.5 weeks is impressive indeed
    Currently wearing: Paris-Riviera by Chanel

Clockwork and Wingie, I wore Le Lion about 5-1/2 weeks out of the 8-1/2. When you wear a perfume day after day, it goes down fast, plus I tend to apply lavishly. Moderation in all things—except perfume!

Moderation in all things—except perfume!
    Sounds like a good motto to live by

Clockwork and Wingie, I wore Le Lion about 5-1/2 weeks out of the 8-1/2. When you wear a perfume day after day, it goes down fast, plus I tend to apply lavishly. Moderation in all things—except perfume!
    Nice. glad to hear you enjoyed it that much! And I like that motto