Code of Conduct
Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast

Default Re: Vintage Scent of the Day

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Now you're just trying to torture me. I'm wearing the last of my Or Black vintage mini today. That bottle from France can't get here soon enough to suit me.

Today I'm getting little whiffy reminders of Bandit from it. (But without the petrolish note, thank goodness.) And the leather/violet aspect still brings vintage Balmain Jolie Madame to mind. Someone else told me it made them think of Le Troisieme Homme.
    Yes, agree 100%. First time I wore the vintage after being used to the modern version (and shortly after trying Bandit for the first time), I saw a relationship as well. Same sort of glossy-dark-sharp edge to the leather. I get no Bandit from the modern but still like it.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: Brut by Fabergé

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Dunhill Blend 30.

Gosh, this is delightful. In the opening, I got a big reminder of Or Black. A similar green aromatic sweetness against a woodier, spicy-soapier backdrop.
    Love this one.

Heaven's made of oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Love this one.
    +1
    Non IFRA Compliant & proud of it!

All Is Beautiful

SOTA
    Givenchy Gentleman
    givenchy gentleman 3-3-20.jpg
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

I’m not old, I’m vintage.

55D84122-0B84-43AD-AADA-F7ED68F63D20.jpg

Allyn St. George cologne

Cited in a review of Ben Rickert’s Bené as “one of many unique and manly fragrances that seem gone forever now,” I can’t speak to its uniqueness, but it’s certainly a fine lavender-centric aromatic fougère.

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    Starting my day with a spritz of Creed Tabarome Millesime. I know, I know. It’s not as good as the original. They shouldn’t have named it Tabarome. I think that would’ve helped it’s image. They should’ve named it, “Guy who is wearing WAY too much Michael Jordan cologne rolling some wet leaf tobacco.” Then folks may been smitten with it. Well, some perhaps. But this sequel doesn’t use the same cast and even removed some from the original flick. Luckily for me, I picked up a 3/4 full tester from a fragrance store (brick and mortar) for $26 because they stopped selling Tabarome Millesime and the owner didn’t want nor know what to do with the tester. That was back in 2010, and the owner said it was an older bottle. It’s definitely pre-2005 as there’s no batch code. The opening is nearly gone. This fragrance is ginger, whole leaf tobacco and ambergris with a soft kiss of sandalwood running in there somewhere. The ginger is presented too strong in the opening but settles in nicely once this thing dries down. Actually this fragrance is messy until it dries down. About 15-20 minutes in, it becomes a pleasant spicy tobacco and ambergris thingy. Moderate projection for 4-6 hours, depending on how much you spray (1-3 sprays), with it wearing closely and only slightly more than a skin scent for a grand total of 8-9 hours.

Who needs this? Nobody except for someone trying to complete their Creed catalog. Who will enjoy this? Potentially anyone that doesn’t know the original Tabarome and expect something along the lines of that or that’s wanting a good leather fragrance. For $26, and me judging it separately from its namesake, it’s outstanding. It’s got the basic elements that make an aficionado happy, drama of quality ingredients battling it out before coming to an agreement. It’s interesting and ultimately - good.

I enjoy wearing this most after I’ve been working hard outside in the summer heat and being fresh out the shower, or, when I’ve been a really bad boy the night before. And it ain’t summertime.
    Well.....I purchased a bottle before I read this. Thankfully I did not pay over $100 for it . Got it from my Creed freak buddy. I guess I shouldn't hate it because of your opinion . I'll give it a full wearing soon.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by hellbentforleather View Post
    I could probably survive off just these two. Absolute gems.

“Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.”
    ― Mark Twain
    Currently wearing: Polo Crest by Ralph Lauren

Jaguar for Men

A vintage splash with that nice wood cap.

More gentlemanly than I expected.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by allkindsofwatches1 View Post
    Well.....I purchased a bottle before I read this. Thankfully I did not pay over $100 for it . Got it from my Creed freak buddy. I guess I shouldn't hate it because of your opinion . I'll give it a full wearing soon.

Tabarome Millesime has the same sandalwood note in it that can be found in Santal Imperial, although not nearly as pronounced and is especially present in the older bottles. Depending on how old the bottle, the ambergris and sandalwood will be more pronounced. Go in expecting a weird combination up front but for sure give it time to settle in on your skin. You need to give this a proper wearing. When I first smelled it I thought my wife would hate it but she didn’t. I waited for it to drydown before letting her smell it. She commented that it kinda reminded her of a zingy version of Perry Ellis Red. It doesn’t really smell like PER but it wears with about that same weight and then has that ginger note providing the zing. I won’t say that I love it but I do love wearing it while I’m doing some outdoor grilling FWIW. It’s daring, different, and kinda weird which makes it interesting enough to keep my attention. Thankfully, it doesn’t have noteworthy longevity so it’s only an evening’s commitment to wear. It clicked for me on the 3rd or 4th wearing while I was grilling steaks and enjoying a cognac. Best wishes to you.
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

After a long absence, the boys are back in town - Aramis Gentleman's Collection (2009) has arrived and my SOTE is JHL - hot damn!

IMG_7155.jpg
    Currently wearing: Kipling by Weil

Tabarome Millesime has the same sandalwood note in it that can be found in Santal Imperial, although not nearly as pronounced and is especially present in the older bottles. Depending on how old the bottle, the ambergris and sandalwood will be more pronounced. Go in expecting a weird combination up front but for sure give it time to settle in on your skin. You need to give this a proper wearing. When I first smelled it I thought my wife would hate it but she didn’t. I waited for it to drydown before letting her smell it. She commented that it kinda reminded her of a zingy version of Perry Ellis Red. It doesn’t really smell like PER but it wears with about that same weight and then has that ginger note providing the zing. I won’t say that I love it but I do love wearing it while I’m doing some outdoor grilling FWIW. It’s daring, different, and kinda weird which makes it interesting enough to keep my attention. Thankfully, it doesn’t have noteworthy longevity so it’s only an evening’s commitment to wear. It clicked for me on the 3rd or 4th wearing while I was grilling steaks and enjoying a cognac. Best wishes to you.
    Thanks for replying.

I don't own many Creed fragrances because I just don't seem to wear them well. Although BdP seems to do pretty good on my skin. We shall see how this one acts.

Sampling for the first time ever Salvador Dali Pour Homme. Bottle looks really strange.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Sampling for the first time ever Salvador Dali Pour Homme. Bottle looks really strange.
    I think Dali was inspired by Mae West's lips. I do enjoy that fragrance - liquid art - and a fine Wasser creation in my book!

Basenotes Plus

Default Vintage Scent of the Day

Thanks for replying.

I don't own many Creed fragrances because I just don't seem to wear them well. Although BdP seems to do pretty good on my skin. We shall see how this one acts.

If you look beyond the ginger and enjoy the ambergris/sandalwood base at, then I highly recommend older Green Irish Tweed. I recently acquired some 2010 GIT and, although not a favorite batch among some, I love it end it performs SO very well for me. BTW, TM and GIT aren’t alike. GIT is a better fragrance. Just offering a bit more info. I look forward to reading your thoughts on TM!

Ah, the dark one. Dali Pour Homme is what Dracula wears when he’s without his cape and looking for a romantic encounter in a cigar pub. I look forward to reading your thoughts as well!

As for me, been a long stressful day and I went uninspired with Clinique’s Happy For Men. Simple and clean. I did receive my 1.7 of Deep Forest by Bogner but I’m not going to wear it until it acclimates to my house. I did cycle the sprayer until I got a spritz out on the box insert but I was met with a blast of lavender and labdanum which struck me too much like something my grandma wore long ago. So I’m giving it some time and then I’ll cycle a good hit of juice through the nozzle to give it all a wash before wearing it and making an assessment. I look forward to the actual wearing because the notes look promising and I’ve been told it’s good. So the first sniff holds no bearing on my thoughts at this point.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by nosey74 View Post
    After a long absence, the boys are back in town - Aramis Gentleman's Collection (2009) has arrived and my SOTE is JHL - hot damn!

IMG_7155.jpg

“Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.”
    ― Mark Twain

Cinnamon heaven.

I have entered clove heaven: Jacomo de Jacomo
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: Brut by Fabergé

I think Dali was inspired by Mae West's lips. I do enjoy that fragrance - liquid art - and a fine Wasser creation in my book!

If you look beyond the ginger and enjoy the ambergris/sandalwood base at, then I highly recommend older Green Irish Tweed. I recently acquired some 2010 GIT and, although not a favorite batch among some, I love it end it performs SO very well for me. BTW, TM and GIT aren’t alike. GIT is a better fragrance. Just offering a bit more info. I look forward to reading your thoughts on TM!

Ah, the dark one. Dali Pour Homme is what Dracula wears when he’s without his cape and looking for a romantic encounter in a cigar pub. I look forward to reading your thoughts as well!

As for me, been a long stressful day and I went uninspired with Clinique’s Happy For Men. Simple and clean. I did receive my 1.7 of Deep Forest by Bogner but I’m not going to wear it until it acclimates to my house. I did cycle the sprayer until I got a spritz out on the box insert but I was met with a blast of lavender and labdanum which struck me too much like something my grandma wore long ago. So I’m giving it some time and then I’ll cycle a good hit of juice through the nozzle to give it all a wash before wearing it and making an assessment. I look forward to the actual wearing because the notes look promising and I’ve been told it’s good. So the first sniff holds no bearing on my thoughts at this point.
    I would recommend older Green Irish Tweed bottles as well. Much more full-bodied with strong emphasis in ambergris and woods in the base. The fresh opening is not as strong which I actually prefer, it some ways I think Creed made it more fresh to appeal to a wider audience.

Thankfully Dali Pour Homme does become more tamed a few hours in - mossy and earthy at the base with oakmoss, patchouli, woods, and amber. The opening and mid notes are a bit of a struggle - it might be the anise and one or more of the florals. That period was very herbal and spicy, to my nose it was off-putting. If I could just fast forward to the drydown for this one, this would be a like. For now it's inconclusive.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Basenotes Plus

I would recommend older Green Irish Tweed bottles as well. Much more full-bodied with strong emphasis in ambergris and woods in the base. The fresh opening is not as strong which I actually prefer, it some ways I think Creed made it more fresh to appeal to a wider audience.

Thankfully Dali Pour Homme does become more tamed a few hours in - mossy and earthy at the base with oakmoss, patchouli, woods, and amber. The opening and mid notes are a bit of a struggle - it might be the anise and one or more of the florals. That period was very herbal and spicy, to my nose it was off-putting.
    Try wearing Dali Pour Homme next October. Strangely, it will fit in and you’ll start craving steaks that are rare.

Update: Looking for some contrast to my SOTN, Happy, I applied an unforgiving amount of Grey Flannel (Sanofi) to the back of my left hand. I only smell GF now. Lol

Always be smelling

IMG_7155.jpg
    Probably the best money you can spend on fragrance these days
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit

Quote Originally Posted by The Cologne Cabinet View Post
    Thank you sir!

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Cinnamon heaven.

I have entered clove heaven: Jacomo de Jacomo
    Great company to be in!

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    Probably the best money you can spend on fragrance these days
    They're all winners - even Aramis 900

Basenotes Plus

SOTD:

IMG_6528.jpg

Polo Crest

― Mark Twain

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Santos de Cartier EDT Concentrée
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

IMG_20181212_215149_449.jpg

Dunhill for Men by Alfred Dunhill (1934)
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post

Dunhill for Men by Alfred Dunhill (1934)
    Fantastic frag! One of my top favourites.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Heaven's made of oakmoss

Btw, the original bottle of Elsa Schiaparelli's "Shocking" perfume was molded after Mae West's torso. West had her torso in cast/casted and sent to Schiaparelli in France, for her to use as template to create a dress for West, and used for the bottle as well.
    Dalí and Schiaparelli were also close friends and inspired eachother in their works, so your thoughts make sense, as Mae West seems to be the common denominator of the two

Try wearing Dali Pour Homme next October. Strangely, it will fit in and you’ll start craving steaks that are rare.

Update: Looking for some contrast to my SOTN, Happy, I applied an unforgiving amount of Grey Flannel (Sanofi) to the back of my left hand. I only smell GF now. Lol
    Haha! Still working on that GF. At least you're having a little patience with it

Today's SOTD...

Gucci Nobile

Gucci Nobile.jpg

Heaven's made of oakmoss

Vsota is Pascal Morabito's Or Black (re-launch).
    My oh my, this is delicious! The violet, minty green opening blast, the patchouli and, to me, new'ish leather and delightful soapiness (lavender?), a hint of rose I think.. I LOVE it!

Basenotes Plus

Haha! Still working on that GF. At least you're having a little patience with it

The Sanofi and JC distribution of GF are wearable for me. The ashtray note is still very present but at least that dissipates with those and it settles in nicely. The newer stuff is still a struggle. And my original assessment of the new stuff smelling like an outdoor ashtray has just been rooted so deeply that I can’t shake it. Anyone that’s ever had to clean one of those out knows the smell I’m talking about. The new stuff is that smell mixed with a nice fresh scent. The older stuff is simply a bit of ashtray for the first 10-15 minutes that goes away and leaves a very pleasant smell. I don’t reach for it much but I’ve come to enjoy it in vintage form.

Today I’m wearing something that will be a true vintage in just a few years... L’Occitan Eau De Toilette

Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast