Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Tom Ford moves Costa Azzurra into Signature line

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    I think so too, but I wouldn't discount the possibility entirely.
    Would you buy Tobacco Oud as your cold weather fragrance if it were to make the move to the signature line? I'd definitely have to think about it - probably not for very long, admittedly, but I did like the Intense version enough for a while.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    I find this slightly hard to believe given that it has 'oud' in the title. Part of the reason customers are willing to spend more for TF fragrances is the allure of the cost of ingredients, and the claims about oud being expensive - even if there's no real oud within an inch of any of TF's scents - is effective in convincing people to pay to PB prices.

If they move one of their ouds in to the signature line, it would be a surprising decision that could backfire if/when more people realise that the PB prices are a joke.

I'd suggest that may be why Costa Azzurra was chosen over Oud Minerale. They could easily have called OM 'Costa Anthracite' if they'd wanted to rebrand, for instance. But so far they've picked leather, a fougere, and a woody aquatic to move down in price. It would be a surprise, albeit a welcome one, to see an oud make that move as well.
    It would be nice if TO moved but I have my doubts as well. Seems too popular as it is, in the PL. Why move it and make less money? .......or would they make more if they moved it? Tough call.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

I'd be shocked if Tobacco Oud moved. The logic for moving fragrances down a tier has seemingly been if it would do better as a mass-market release than it could as a PB release.

As a PB, for example, Beau de Jour couldn't be a star. Too much competition. As a Signature release, it can be a much-discussed flagship.

Tobacco Oud is already one of the "stars" of the PB lineup. What would the benefit be in moving it downmarket? Unless sales have actually been dwindling and we aren't privy to that data...

Basenotes Plus

It’s a savvy move by Tom Ford, a trend I hope might filter to the other industry players. We’ve been through a phase when big designer names launched their own expensive ultra-niche lines. Here’s hoping to more affordable versions of those niche-y fragrances which are just a cut above current mass market trends but priced a little too exorbitantly for what they represent.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    I'd be shocked if Tobacco Oud moved. The logic for moving fragrances down a tier has seemingly been if it would do better as a mass-market release than it could as a PB release.

As a PB, for example, Beau de Jour couldn't be a star. Too much competition. As a Signature release, it can be a much-discussed flagship.

Tobacco Oud is already one of the "stars" of the PB lineup. What would the benefit be in moving it downmarket? Unless sales have actually been dwindling and we aren't privy to that data...
    Where does the information on the TO popularity come from? Tobacco Oud sells very poor.
    Watch my recent video review of
    Guerlain L'Homme Ideal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-PW_V1G0aw

Great news on the Costa Azzura. The signature line does seem to be a bit thin and short of new ideas. It just seems like the Private Blend range is being used as a fish hook - i.e. to see what the punters will 'bite'. If they sell well enough, they seem to get a permanent position in the signature line. It's definitely a better strategy than discontinuing products one after another.

I still cannot fathom this move tbh. The 'best' solution was one they already had: the Acqua line as the sensible, affordable way of buying the Neroli Portofino 'line' of citric/Med-inspired fragrances. Clearly they must not have sold well enough, or...something. I'd much, much rather see a whole new fragrance introduced to the signature line, or even just something that meets in the middle between some of their fragrances as they have done with Metallique and, say, Lavender Extreme and F Fabulous, while the 'Acquas' kept as they were. If I loved any Tom Ford fragrance I'd be annoyed at the careless approach the brand has taken. I'd be much more open to buying in to brand loyalty if a house/brand ensured fragrances remain available for repeated buying, and it seems like TF has just culled about 50% of its available fragrances in the space of a few weeks. That's poor.

I’m glad to see more of his fragrances join the more affordable line but the approach seems very careless and the bottles are not a great design for these fragrances in my opinion.

Default Re: Costa Azzura Signature Blend

Someone tried it yet?

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post
    I dont really understand it either.
    Nor do I.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I revisited my sample of Costa Azzurra Acqua last week and I've definitely changed my mind on the decision to choose this. It totally makes sense. It's much closer to Acqua di Gio than I remember and in fact reminds me very much like a mix of the Essenza and Profumo flankers from Armani, with a Tom Ford twist. There are hints of Oud Minerale and, to be honest, it's a good fragrance.

If this signature release is similar to, or even better than, the Acqua version - which I found to be much more pleasing than the original Costa Azzurra, which felt plasticky - then I think they have another very good fragrance on their hands. I don't love it but it's definitely a potential option as a men's sporty 'dumb grab' sort of fragrance.

So has anyone tried the new signature blend yet and compared it to the previous private blend in the blue bottle?

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    So has anyone tried the new signature blend yet and compared it to the previous private blend in the blue bottle?
    I have. Have both. Tested them on the arms, one on each side, through the day to compare. Mind you, this is first impression. I found the signature to be lighter and less woody. And perhaps a bit sweeter in the drydown. Still a freshie though. And «weaker» in terms of sillage and longevity. After a few hours, if I smelled the PB version first, I couldn`t smell the signature versiom. Funny enough. I do in general get good longevity from most I, lucky with body chemistry I guess. That being said, it is nice. But have to give it a few full wearings before I pass my judgement.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    If I loved any Tom Ford fragrance I'd be annoyed at the careless approach the brand has taken. I'd be much more open to buying in to brand loyalty if a house/brand ensured fragrances remain available for repeated buying, and it seems like TF has just culled about 50% of its available fragrances in the space of a few weeks. That's poor.
    Completely agree.

I tried this last night and enjoyed it after first application. I enjoyed it more and more the longer I was wearing it.

I think I will never see my wish regarding Tom Ford frags become true.
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.
    Currently wearing: Eau de Cartier by Cartier

Quote Originally Posted by Rock72 View Post
    I have. Have both. Tested them on the arms, one on each side, through the day to compare. Mind you, this is first impression. I found the signature to be lighter and less woody. And perhaps a bit sweeter in the drydown. Still a freshie though. And «weaker» in terms of sillage and longevity. After a few hours, if I smelled the PB version first, I couldn`t smell the signature versiom. Funny enough. I do in general get good longevity from most I, lucky with body chemistry I guess. That being said, it is nice. But have to give it a few full wearings before I pass my judgement.
    Interesting comments - thanks.
    I only have a sample of the PB version and have started to notice a revolting dose of cashmeran or cypriol in the base. So I am going off it. But I'd still be keen on sampling the signature version just for the sake of it.

I have both Costa Azzurra PB and Costa Azzurra Acqua in my collection and I sampled the new Signature release on skin last week, the new signature seems nice, but to me it's way lighter than both the PB and Acqua.

I really don't understand the move to the Signature line with this one, the Acqua bottles were the same retail price as the signature line, so it has nothing to do with a lower price point. I doubt I'll buy the Signature as I find the PB and Acqua to be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    I think I will never see my wish regarding Tom Ford frags become true.
    Which is...?

I revisited my Costa Azzurra Acqua sample a few weeks ago and found it to be surprisingly strong. It lasted a good 8 hours and the base is absolutely FULL of amberwood. The fragrance is basically a slightly more refined/'nichey' version of Acqua di Gio Profumo to my nose. It's good, if I wanted a scent in this style I would opt for it, and I much preferred it over the original Costa Azzurra which felt far more synthetic, or at least 'plastic like', in comparison. I would assume the isgnature is a continuation of the same but, still, I haven't tried it - I am just reporting I'm surprised to find the Acqua version to be such a strong performer as I assumed it was a weakling. But no, it doesn't project massively but it lasts a good while and the nature of the type of fragrance it is, it's more than good enough to last a full day and would make for a good 'sporty aquatic fragrance for people who don't quite want the full experience' of something like Acqua di Gio or Invictus type sporty scents.

Quote Originally Posted by HFMIII View Post
    I have both Costa Azzurra PB and Costa Azzurra Acqua in my collection and I sampled the new Signature release on skin last week, the new signature seems nice, but to me it's way lighter than both the PB and Acqua.

I really don't understand the move to the Signature line with this one, the Acqua bottles were the same retail price as the signature line, so it has nothing to do with a lower price point. I doubt I'll buy the Signature as I find the PB and Acqua to be better.
    Interesting. Likewise, I don't understand the discontinuation of the Acqua lines. It was basically an ideal thing for the brand to do and a great way to sell their 'blue' fragrances at a price that is at least more reasonable, even if still probably more than they are 'worth' given the competition. I would happily pay £60 a bottle for 100ml of the Acquas on ebay, for instance, which is what they seemed to be going for last time I checked. Getting rid of them, and just moving one over to the signature line, seems...I do understand it for this scent, as along with Beau de Jour, Ombre Leather, Noir Extreme, and perhaps Grey Vetiver/Tom Ford for Men, it completes just about every 'masculine staple' you could want in a fragrance wardrobe. I can only assume the Acquas didn't sell well enough, or perhaps they cut in to sales of the old private blend 'blue' fragrances. Either way it's annoying when you look at the brand as a whole. I quite liked Mandarino di Amalfi and if I really liked it, I'd be livid with the fact they've discontinued the Acqua version.

Dependent

I walked by this on the counter at Saks the other day and didn't stop to smell it. I still would like to smell it when I get around to it. I guess I just don't have a need for this type of scent, so I'm not as excited. In any case, it will be interesting to see what else makes it to the signature line.

I doubt this would happen, but a signature line Oud Wood would be well received, and could compete a little more directly with scents like LNDH.

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    I walked by this on the counter at Saks the other day and didn't stop to smell it. I still would like to smell it when I get around to it. I guess I just don't have a need for this type of scent, so I'm not as excited. In any case, it will be interesting to see what else makes it to the signature line.

I doubt this would happen, but a signature line Oud Wood would be well received, and could compete a little more directly with scents like LNDH.
    An 'in-person' snub?? Wow. Talk to the hand, Tom Ford!

Interesting comments - thanks.
    I only have a sample of the PB version and have started to notice a revolting dose of cashmeran or cypriol in the base. So I am going off it. But I'd still be keen on sampling the signature version just for the sake of it.
    So, following my previous comments, I have now tried the signature version.

I still need more time with it. But I will say they are 99.99% the same. Only a very experienced nose will be able to pick up any differences if any. Now, I'm not suggesting that I am such a nose, but I detect a slight smoothing out of the cashmeran note in the base of the signature. The PB has a bit too much of the stuff in there. If this is the only difference in aroma, given that I can get 100ml of the signature for the same amount as 50ml of the PB (not including any discounts), there is no question as to which I would go for.

The ingredients are clearly different from the PB version. You can see a bunch of colours are now in the signature version and that explains the slight bronze/gold/yellow colour of the juice:

YELLOW 5 (CI 19140), YELLOW 6 (CI 15985), EXT. VIOLET 2 (CI 60730), RED 4 (CI 14700), ORANGE 4 (CI 15510)
    Can anyone confirm if these were present in the PB version?

As an FYI, I tried both from sample atomisers decanted by independent sample distributors.

The ingredients are clearly different from the PB version. You can see a bunch of colours are now in the signature version and that explains the slight bronze/gold/yellow colour of the juice:

Can anyone confirm if these were present in the PB version?
    Hey Rum here are the ingredients from CA Acqua on the left and CA PB on the right.

CAIL.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by HFMIII View Post
    Hey Rum here are the ingredients from CA Acqua on the left and CA PB on the right.

CAIL.jpg
    Superb! Thank you!
    That confirms it then... there are some differences.

Superb! Thank you!
    That confirms it then... there are some differences.
    Could be just IFRA changes since benzyl salicylate was regulated in the 49th amendment that went into effect Feb. 10th of this year.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldWineMemories View Post
    Could be just IFRA changes since benzyl salicylate was regulated in the 49th amendment that went into effect Feb. 10th of this year.
    Thats a fair comment and would explain the change.

I actually really like the opening of both versions. The dry down is much more subtle in the signature and it actually feels more natural. I don’t get as much cashmeran in it and that is also a plus. I’m still on the fence though if this is a purchase. It could be that when the discounters get it, this could sell for much less than the retail price.