Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Plus

Default Costa Azzura Signature Blend

Saw a bottle of Costa Azzura by Tom Ford in a signature blend bottle. It was basically Beau de Jour signature, but gold instead of silver.
    Looks like Costa will follow Ombre Leather and Beau de Jour.
    I smell.

Banned

Default Re: Costa Azzura Signature Blend

Interesting move. I would like to have seen Oud Minerale given this treatment instead. I'm also struggling to understand why this fragrance has made the move considering there is an 'Acqua' version which is surely the affordable alternative to the ridiculously overpriced Private Blend stuff?

It would be nice if this was the start of several fragrances making the move to the cheaper option.

Do you have a link to the new bottle?
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

Costa Azzura’s weakness on me is longevity. It would be nice if they fix this.
    Currently wearing: Oud Malaki by Chopard

Basenotes Plus

Saw this photo online:
    20201226_110920.jpg
    I smell.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post
    Saw this photo online:
    20201226_110920.jpg
    Eurgh, it looks so weird. I was expecting them to rebrand the original 'Tom Ford for Men' to basically look like this but it appears that's unlikely now. Also - gold? For Costa 'Azzurra'...???

I still don't understand why this fragrance has been chosen above all others. At all. This is the third Costa Azzurra fragrance they've released. The second in, what, 12 months or so? 2 years?

I don't get it.

Basenotes Plus

I dont really understand it either. And the Aqua line is comperably priced to the signature. So what is the point? Im thinking wider distribution net? And yellow and gold? It was nice as its own color. A nice light teal would have looked nice. They really seem to be hammering the costa azzura line. I wonder if Tom Ford is driving that as he likes it as a part of his brand or something. I dont much mind Costa, but it is very similar to Gucci Guilty Cologne, and that is a cheaper price with better presentation.
    All in all, this to me seems like a questionable decision.
    I smell.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post
    I dont really understand it either. And the Aqua line is comperably priced to the signature. So what is the point? Im thinking wider distribution net? And yellow and gold? It was nice as its own color. A nice light teal would have looked nice. They really seem to be hammering the costa azzura line. I wonder if Tom Ford is driving that as he likes it as a part of his brand or something. I dont much mind Costa, but it is very similar to Gucci Guilty Cologne, and that is a cheaper price with better presentation.
    All in all, this to me seems like a questionable decision.
    It's possibly a significant restructure of their business model due to covid. That's the only thing I can think of. Releasing, and then discontinuing, the Acqua versions in such a short space of time seems very sloppy.

Default Tom Ford moves Costa Azzurra into Signature line

Hi Folks,

looks like Costa Azzurra moves into Signature line with new matching bottle and pricing

https://www.tomford.com/costa-azzurr...55-625#start=8

And there are couple of very nice video shots in Tom Ford instagram account - kind of hommage to a Jacques Deray's movie La Piscine 1969 with Alain Delon and Romy Shneider

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Tom Ford moves Costa Azzurra into Signature line

Thanks for the update.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

My wife (who loves this scent) is thrilled.

It always smelled kinda flat on me.

I love Costa Azzura. I also love the blue bottle it comes in. Bummer, really. The Signature Line bottles are not my taste. But in the end it‘s about the juice and spending less is always a good thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basenotes Institution

Best move since Ombre Leather.

The other good news that it has become cheaper!
    Watch my recent video review of
    Guerlain L'Homme Ideal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-PW_V1G0aw

I'm actually surprised it took them this long to make this move.

Stuff like Soleil Blanc or the Neroli Portofino lines have enough broad appeal that it would make sense for them to be mainstream releases, but they're popular enough that TF hasn't had to move them down into the Signature line to motivate sales. Demand has been steady that they could sell flankers at the Private Blend tier.

But Costa Azzura never took off at the Private Blend level. It was overshadowed. But it feels like a mainstream release: an upscale late-90s/early-00s aquatic. Costa Azzura is the closest thing TF has to an Acqua di Gio. I think it'll do well as a Signature release, where it can have the spotlight.

Makes me wonder what others we might see move "down" from the Private Blend line.

Maybe Fougere d'Argent (which is supposedly discontinued?).

Default Tom Ford - Costa Azzurra - New signature range

Look like the trend is continuing. Another Private Blend moves to designer prices.
    Cannot stand the trashy, bling, gaudy design he's following after the Black Orchid Parfum.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    I'm actually surprised it took them this long to make this move...But Costa Azzura never took off at the Private Blend level. It was overshadowed. But it feels like a mainstream release: an upscale late-90s/early-00s aquatic. Costa Azzura is the closest thing TF has to an Acqua di Gio. I think it'll do well as a Signature release, where it can have the spotlight...
    I couldn't agree more. I feel like it and Prada's Luna Rossa are cut from the same cloth.
    "A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit. "

-- D. Elton Trueblood

Basenotes Member

Oh well it seems to be the trend now for TF.
    I just bought Beau de Jour from the PB line recently & wonder if I really should have, when the Signature line variant was cheaper.
    This Scent is Popping...….

Default Re: Tom Ford - Costa Azzurra - New signature range

Which do you think might be next?
    Currently wearing: L'Insoumis by Lalique

Quote Originally Posted by aikj55 View Post
    Oh well it seems to be the trend now for TF.
    I just bought Beau de Jour from the PB line recently & wonder if I really should have, when the Signature line variant was cheaper.
    If it makes you feel better, consensus is that the PB version of BdJ is better.

Basenotes Member

Oh well, I like it though. I've got a Signature sample & a full bottle of the PB now. My nose isn't sophisticated to know the diff. But I think going forward, I'll stick to the signature line offerings.
    This Scent is Popping...….

Dependent

Finally a reasonable price for this great freshie. I liked the blue PB bottles but I'm also liking the all gold look now that I think about it. I'm sure this will be well-received.

Banned

I'd disagree. I've seen more people say they're effectively identical or 'the same' than claim the private blend is better. I've only seen a very small number, mostly on this site, and then a handful who, as expected, judge by price tag, who have said the latter. Respectfully, I wouldn't call it consensus in the slightest.

As for Costa Azzurra, I felt the Acqua version that was recently released was a minor improvement upon the original. I had less of a 'plastic' feel to it, unlike the original, albeit still packed full of a synthetic, hard-to-describe, aromachemical vibe. It felt more green, cypressy, woody, and more 'natural' than the Private Blend, but that's not saying much, as the original just feels almost like...I don't know, it's like a perfume equivalent of plastic. Not to say it smells like plastic per se, but it just feels completely artificial in a weird way. Ralph Lauren's Purple Label gives me the same effect. If they've used the Acqua version but with the particular kind of signature line 'DNA' as they use for most of their scents, like Ombre Leather and Beau de Jour, it should be fine, maybe even better than the original. Although the performance of the Acqua version was atrocious, even worse than the shortlived original Private Blend, and I'd be surprised if this is any different - if it's significantly better it would be a welcome change.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by aikj55 View Post
    Oh well, I like it though. I've got a Signature sample & a full bottle of the PB now. My nose isn't sophisticated to know the diff. But I think going forward, I'll stick to the signature line offerings.
    Yes, the very minor differences between the two lines become completely irrelevant when you consider the cost differences between the two. Unless Ombre Leather, Beau de Jour, or now Costa Azzurra (and hopefully a few more to come) are your absolute favourite fragrances of all time, then there's no need to seek out the private blend versions of them.

Banned

Supposedly Tobacco Oud is moving as well

Quote Originally Posted by hanginglimbs View Post
    Good news, I’ve never smelled this one and a lower retail price is always welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by mgrigoriev View Post
    Hi Folks,

looks like Costa Azzurra moves into Signature line with new matching bottle and pricing

https://www.tomford.com/costa-azzurr...55-625#start=8

And there are couple of very nice video shots in Tom Ford instagram account - kind of hommage to a Jacques Deray's movie La Piscine 1969 with Alain Delon and Romy Shneider
    I love the bottle and colors chosen, looking forward to smelling this one I never smelled this one before.

I hope so I'd pick one up as a gift.

Banned

I find this slightly hard to believe given that it has 'oud' in the title. Part of the reason customers are willing to spend more for TF fragrances is the allure of the cost of ingredients, and the claims about oud being expensive - even if there's no real oud within an inch of any of TF's scents - is effective in convincing people to pay to PB prices.

If they move one of their ouds in to the signature line, it would be a surprising decision that could backfire if/when more people realise that the PB prices are a joke.

I'd suggest that may be why Costa Azzurra was chosen over Oud Minerale. They could easily have called OM 'Costa Anthracite' if they'd wanted to rebrand, for instance. But so far they've picked leather, a fougere, and a woody aquatic to move down in price. It would be a surprise, albeit a welcome one, to see an oud make that move as well.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    I find this slightly hard to believe given that it has 'oud' in the title. Part of the reason customers are willing to spend more for TF fragrances is the allure of the cost of ingredients, and the claims about oud being expensive - even if there's no real oud within an inch of any of TF's scents - is effective in convincing people to pay to PB prices.

If they move one of their ouds in to the signature line, it would be a surprising decision that could backfire if/when more people realise that the PB prices are a joke.

I'd suggest that may be why Costa Azzurra was chosen over Oud Minerale. They could easily have called OM 'Costa Anthracite' if they'd wanted to rebrand, for instance. But so far they've picked leather, a fougere, and a woody aquatic to move down in price. It would be a surprise, albeit a welcome one, to see an oud make that move as well.
    I think so too, but I wouldn't discount the possibility entirely.

Default Re: Tom Ford - Costa Azzurra - New signature range

Quote Originally Posted by Gail Elliott View Post
    Look like the trend is continuing. Another Private Blend moves to designer prices.
    Cannot stand the trashy, bling, gaudy design he's following after the Black Orchid Parfum.
    Yeah...I agree that's a move in the wrong direction with the bottle. It does look more, "Dollar Store". I never cared for Costa Azzura...tried it many times and it just didn't connect with me. The saltiness was what stood out the most and it increases as CA dries down.