Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Got Pi by Givenchy as present, is this really an ok male fragrance?

I don't know about this, it seems really feminine; do you think this is an ok male fragrance? Also, I live in FL so it's warm most of the year, will it be alright to wear in warm weather?

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bķzios Brasil

Default Re: Got Pi by Givenchy as present, is this really an ok male fragrance?

Quote Originally Posted by Coyle View Post
    do you think this is an ok male fragrance? Also, I live in FL so it's warm most of the year, will it be alright to wear in warm weather?
    Absolutely IMO.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I don’t find it feminine, it’s sweet and that might be associated as feminine to some but imo it leans masculine.
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Nice gift, but I’m personally not a fan. If you question your ability to wear and enjoy it, now is a good time for exchanges.

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

It's popular here but I'm not a fan. Too sweet.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Basenotes Plus

I think it is is a good men's fragrance (there are better ones in this category) but if it doesn't work for you, definitely exchange it for something that does.
    Current Spring Favorites:
    Roja Parfums Elysium Parfum-Cologne
    Roja Parfums Danger Parfum Pour Homme
    Roja Parfums Diaghilev
    Roja Parfums Oligarch
    Amouage Reflection Man
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Viking
    Byredo Bal d'Afrique
    MFK Aqua Universalis Forte
    MFK Aqua Vita Forte
    Dior Sauvage
    Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche

I don't know about this, it seems really feminine; do you think this is an ok male fragrance? Also, I live in FL so it's warm most of the year, will it be alright to wear in warm weather?
    Pi used to be a hit about 15 - 20 years ago.
    The vanillaic cinammony goodness was one of the best gourmands of its time, competing with the likes of Boucheron Pour Homme.
    Time and tide have moved on and only those who experienced it back then would likely find it attractive anymore.
    There are 3 flankers that you might like better, most notable Pi Air.

Either way, as others mentioned above, if you don't like it, swap it for something you enjoy.
    Waiting for Hednic's 8th star

Basenotes Institution

Nice gift.

If you like it, it is ok. Personally I can't stand sweet fragrances. Many modern mens fragrances lean feminine these days for some reason. Some of them are more feminine than a lot of womens perfumes from decades ago. Even the more masculine ones often are really unisex these days.

It's a fine wear for males, albeit more for the winter, preferably evening.
    Currently wearing: Encre Noire by Lalique

My family likes it. It's a good men's fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    Nice gift, but Iím personally not a fan. If you question your ability to wear and enjoy it, now is a good time for exchanges.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    It's popular here but I'm not a fan. Too sweet.
    Agree with both! Never been a fan. I wouldnít call it feminine but just not something Iíd want to smell like with its sweetness. I think in Florida it would be overwhelming but JMO
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

It's a good scent for a man. Have to wear what your comfortable with though.
    Current Top 10:
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    MFK Baccarat Rouge 540
    Creed Royal Oud
    Armani Prive Myrrhe Imperiale
    Aventus Cologne
    MFK Grand Soir
    Roja Dove Elysium Cologne
    MDCI Invasion Barbare
    Creed Viking
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais
    Currently wearing: XJ 1861 Naxos by Xerjoff

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewthecologneguy View Post
    There are 3 flankers that you might like better, most notable Pi Air.
    That's a good one.

I liked it 25 years ago, but I think it would be too sweet for the Florida heat.

I wouldn’t worry too much about “masculine” vs “feminine” - most people have no idea or interest in whether a smell is one or the other and, although a clichť, whether you like it is all that really matters. As others have said, I’d have more of an issue wearing such a sweet scent in Florida heat.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
    As others have said, I’d have more of an issue wearing such a sweet scent in Florida heat.
    That's the real issue. Might be better off with a freshie.

My late fathers favourite scent.

I love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only one person can answer your question. If you find it feminine, then it is - for you.

Basenotes Plus

I live in south Louisiana, and I own both a vintage formulation and a more modern formulation. Bare in mind I do not know what latest production smells like. It is neither too feminine nor too sweet for our climate. It has just enough Ďdrynessí to it to keep it from becoming overbearing. Itís not a blind reach for summer days but right now and into March it should work fine for you, especially as an evening/night scent.

Having said that, if you donít like it then you donít like it. And there is nothing wrong with that. Trust YOUR nose. It may present sweeter from your skin than mine. Dior Homme Intense is regarded as a masterpiece on BN, and I think itís excellent, but I canít wear it at all. One spray of DHI and the vanilla in it gets so cloying and strong that I get negative comments from the Mrs. before even considering leaving the house. It smells great on a friend though. Donít lose sight of this being your personal journey. The only way you could go wrong is if reading something here persuades you into keeping something that you do not enjoy or want. If youíre apprehensive to exchange the fragrance, since it was a gift, then just give it a few more wearings over the next couple months. Ask people you trust their thoughts on it while youíre wearing it. But ultimately you make the choice. Best wishes.
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

I remember trying Pi and finding it feminine myself. Maybe if you layered it with leather oud, it would at least smell on the masculine side of unisex.

I'm a casual sort, never been a huge cologne wearer, and am hard to buy gifts for as am particular so figured cologne would be a safe bet, but guess not. I like Acqua Di Gio, long before that Polo was good, way back original Quorum--and original Drakkar Noir for occasional use.

Based strictly on the experiences with the vintage or at least early 2000s version of this one, did perceive this as masculine enough as well as an altogether good fragrance

Hmm, wearing it around the house past couple days, getting used to it; wouldn't have bought it myself, but guess can get some use out of it.

I prefer its flankers -- Pi Fraiche, discontinued, but Pi Air is still available. Both less burdensome than the sweet benzoin bomb that is the original.
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

Dependent

Awesome vanilla scent, I own the vintage and current release.
    Currently wearing: Viking by Creed

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar

Hmm, wearing it around the house past couple days, getting used to it; wouldn't have bought it myself, but guess can get some use out of it.
    The only thing that matters is what you think. If you like it and think it suits you, rock it with confidence. Go easy on the trigger though. If I recall correctly, it's strong stuff.

I'm not a fan, but I've known a few women who LOVED it (on a man, I mean).
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Boy Chanel
    Endymion
    Royal Oud
    APOM
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Opus 1870
    Reflection Man
    Prada L'Homme
    Tabac Rouge
    Interlude Man
    Chanel Eau De Cologne
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Aqua Celestia
    Green Irish Tweed
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    "Live in the moment. Never count on longevity." --Yeasayer
    Currently wearing: Reflection Man by Amouage

It smelled great on my teenage son, and my wife always liked it on me.

I find the composition to be overly sweet and simplistic to my nose. Smells like pure benzoin with not much else going on. Still, it's not a bad fragrance. I would only consider wearing it in cool weather.

You may not like it, but relax... it's not girly.

Who gave it to you?
    I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.
    Currently wearing: Black by Puredistance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast