Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Is Aventus still relevant and still the king?

Well the headline says it all: Is Aventus still relevant and still the king?

I am a new frag enthusiast and I have been watching loads of YouTube videos and reading articles every now and then and here and there. Do you think Aventus is so common now that it does not justify the price? and the batch variations and poor quality control and all...?? ? Not my opinion in any way but more of a wondering I have before I decide if I want to buy a frag or not. I have never smelled Aventus, but what I think about personal frags in general is that you want them to be unique (or not common to say the least), appealing in one way or another and a mystery to others. Does Aventus still have these characteristcs?
    Currently wearing: Polo Crest by Ralph Lauren

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Is Aventus still relevant and still the king?

Still relevant? For many, I'm sure.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Ordering a sample and deciding for yourself would be the best way. Then, you'll be able to answer all your own questions.

Besides, for most people, it doesn't make sense to buy such an expensive fragrance blindly.
    Basenotes sales: TDC de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/472...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

Didn't know where to post this but I thought it was a nice, fun little poke.....and basenotes makes an appearance!

"Ducks eat for free at Subway."

Dependent

Speaking only for myself - Aventus is overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Didn't know where to post this but I thought it was a nice, fun little poke.....and basenotes makes an appearance!

Lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    Speaking only for myself - Aventus is overrated.
    I have ordered a sample just to check the same. It is so popular that it is not mysterious anymore.

I still think it's really good though it continues to move further back in my wardrobe. This, of course, may just be a personal trend that could easily change. I wore my 2016 bottle the other day and was surprisingly underwhelmed. I'm also on a huge vintage kick so there's that...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post

This is quite the channel. Seems to focus on a different type of 'juice.'
    "No one wants advice - only corroboration." - John Steinbeck

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Still relevant? For many, I'm sure.
    It is for me. I grabbed it this morning and I have thoroughly enjoyed it. 2 healthy sprays of ZZ01 was perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by hellbentforleather View Post
    I still think it's really good though it continues to move further back in my wardrobe. This, of course, may just be a personal trend that could easily change. I wore my 2016 bottle the other day and was surprisingly underwhelmed. I'm also on a huge vintage kick so there's that...

- - - Updated - - -

This is quite the channel. Seems to focus on a different type of 'juice.'
    haha....ain't that the truth.

Dependent

Hmmm, that's relevant, not to me.

still very good to the extent you should not buy a clone or smell-alike if the scent appeals.
    Currently wearing: Herod by Parfums de Marly

It is still a special fragrance for me and even though it gets a load of publicity and chat on fragrance websites, I have very rarely noticed others wearing it in London.

The price is of course ridiculous.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    It is still a special fragrance for me and even though it gets a load of publicity and chat on fragrance websites, I have very rarely noticed others wearing it in London.

Despite my opinion on the scent, I'll also add that I have never smelled it on others in public, although I've lived most of my life in the suburbs if that makes any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    Despite my opinion on the scent, I'll also add that I have never smelled it on others in public, although I've lived most of my life in the suburbs if that makes any difference.
    I've never smelled it on anyone other than myself, and I live in a major city.

As to the question of its relevance, well...if you like it, it's relevant.

If it's still selling and has the numbers, I'd say it's relevant. It will always be relevant, to a degree, as it's Creed's best selling fragrance (please correct me if I'm wrong on that claim). I may finally get a bottle this year but not before getting myself some Royal Oud.

Got my sample today. It is from batch 20E10. I don't know if it is a bad batch or what but I am underwhelmed. It does smell like pineapple but very linear.

It is not bad but not something I'll fork out A$450 for. I have read about quality inconsistency with Aventus, and Creed in general, so may be this is just a bad batch. or may be it just needs some time to grow on me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MajorColognel View Post
    Got my sample today. It is from batch 20E10. I don't know if it is a bad batch or what but I am underwhelmed. It does smell like pineapple but very linear.

It is not bad but not something I'll fork out A$450 for. I have read about quality inconsistency with Aventus, and Creed in general, so may be this is just a bad batch. or may be it just needs some time to grow on me.
    A few hours later

'It is growing on me'.

BTW my sample is from 20E01N
    Last edited by MajorColognel; 14th January 2021 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorColognel View Post
    Well the headline says it all: Is Aventus still relevant and still the king?

I am a new frag enthusiast and I have been watching loads of YouTube videos and reading articles every now and then and here and there. Do you think Aventus is so common now that it does not justify the price? and the batch variations and poor quality control and all...?? ? Not my opinion in any way but more of a wondering I have before I decide if I want to buy a frag or not. I have never smelled Aventus, but what I think about personal frags in general is that you want them to be unique (or not common to say the least), appealing in one way or another and a mystery to others. Does Aventus still have these characteristcs?
    I have always loved the unique and empowering Aventus!
    Having bought several bottles at retail over the years, I reckon it has been worth.

However, after my last purchase near the end of last year (10th anniversary edition), I decided that it would be my last one.
    The Aventus scent is great but considering how the performance worsens each year, and of course the fact that Creed has been sold, is a deal breaker for me.
    Very sad that they don't value their customers higher. If anything, the performance of Aventus should be better each year, not worse.

I have yet to try a newer batch (say 19~21) which actually lasts. This one is 400 dollars, come on. I get 1~2 hours from the 10th anniversary edition.

I honestly have no idea how to answer the idea of 'relevance' here. No clue what it means. It seems just a completely fabricated idea that is totally unrelated to the fragrance.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Aventus is relevant.
    Until tastes and trends change drastically it will remain The King.
    You can wear it anywhere. Everyone loves it. Only frag heads roll their eyes on this one. If you don't like it you are the guy that buys a FIAT just to be different.
    Beware, I am speaking to the pre reform versions before 2020. 19Y01N and after should come in a splash so you can pour it on.

Not to me. I also never considered it king, or prince.

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    I honestly have no idea how to answer the idea of 'relevance' here. No clue what it means. It seems just a completely fabricated idea that is totally unrelated to the fragrance.
    Precisely. It's not a term that should be thrown around with fragrances in my opinion. Any fragrance can be 'relevant' to anyone for any given reason (if I'm forced to find a justification for that word in this context). It's a word clearly specific to fragrance enthusiasts, as I've never heard anyone smell something and say "yeah it's nice, but don't you find it a bit irrelevant?"
    Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book, just turn the page.

"It smells really good, it's not Aventus though."

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle08 View Post
    Precisely. It's not a term that should be thrown around with fragrances in my opinion. Any fragrance can be 'relevant' to anyone for any given reason (if I'm forced to find a justification for that word in this context). It's a word clearly specific to fragrance enthusiasts, as I've never heard anyone smell something and say "yeah it's nice, but don't you find it a bit irrelevant?"
    I'd assume that he simply means is Aventus still the contemporary scene king, the height of fashion or played out, an old hat, yesterday's news, tired, common and embarrassing to wear in fashionable company.

I'm not following fashion trends a lot (I'm perfumes when the price drops and enjoy grandpa scents) but I'd imagine that people enjoy buying new releases and to be ahead of the pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post

I echo this. I was just thinking, it's really popular on the forum but I have never smelled anyone else wearing this in the East Midlands. Was just wondering if that was the case in a more densely populated area like London and you answered my question.

Aventus is easy to like. It's popular on here for a reason. With that said, I have a 50ml decant and I can't see myself getting through it for a few years. When I do, I imagine I will.replace it.
    Please see my "wanted partials"
    Currently wearing: Herod by Parfums de Marly

Yes and yes!

It seems that it's very hard to create this kind of fragrances. Despite a huge surge in "niche" brands over the past decade, nice smelling freshies with very good performance are a very rare thing!

I live in a large European city and I never smelled Aventus on anyone else other than me(though I can sniff from time to time Tobacco Vanille, SMW-like frags, Erba Pura and others.. heck, even Interlude..) ... it's quite possible that some people avoid it due to its online popularity, just as the OP seems to be tempted to do..

Quote Originally Posted by ccdan View Post
    Yes and yes!

It seems that it's very hard to create this kind of fragrances. Despite a huge surge in "niche" brands over the past decade, nice smelling freshies with very good performance are a very rare thing!

I live in a large European city and I never smelled Aventus on anyone else other than me(though I can sniff from time to time Tobacco Vanille, SMW-like frags, Erba Pura and others.. heck, even Interlude..) ... it's quite possible that some people avoid it due to its online popularity, just as the OP seems to be tempted to do..
    I actually ended up buying a 20E01N tester for trial.

So far I find it ok. Mostly I smell just pineapple 🍍 I know this is a post reformulation batch which does not possess the potency of the older batches. I hope maceration is a real thing with ALL Aventus batches and not a wishful thinking. I really need it with this one.

Aventus is the new Green Irish Tweed: no longer cutting-edge, but too dependable to ever truly go out of style.

As with Green Irish Tweed, it doesn't really excite me, but I appreciate it as a historically significant reference point.

I wear and still enjoy the scent of Aventus enormously. It’s still relevant to me so I wear it.

King? Not king? Who cares. I just wear it because I enjoy it.

It’s left its mark on perfumery though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    I'd assume that he simply means is Aventus still the contemporary scene king, the height of fashion or played out, an old hat, yesterday's news, tired, common and embarrassing to wear in fashionable company.
    I still don't understand what this means, though. It's all a fabricated nonsense. For the weirdos who collect batches and talk about it on youtube they have far bigger issues than whether Aventis is 'played out' (wtf does that actually mean!?) or not. 'Scene king'? What scene? What hierarchy?

The only thing I can interpret it as is:

"Do I need to find something else to distact myself with; or, what can I do to avoid the necessary yet difficult things to make myself 'better'?"

Relevance just seems like a completely delusional way of trying to gauge popularity and contemporary appeal. It's all nonsense, all of it a neurotic insecurity stemming from consuming too much internet chat.

You either like it or you don't. Perhaps you never liked it; or, perhaps you're bored of it. Relevance makes no sense. Relevant...to what? To whom? Is it out of fashion? No, but men wearing fragrance hasn't really been in fashion since maybe the 1980s anyway...

It doesn't smell outdated. It has many clones and imitations that fail to capture what makes Aventus appealing. Is it still suitable to both work and play? Yes.

All that's left is whether or not you still like it and/or do you smell several other men you associate with wearing it as well. Relevancy is just a...I don't know. I really don't know what it means. To me, it's meaningless, it makes no sense, and seems to be the kind of lexicon derived from watching too much youtube.
    Last edited by slpfrsly; 24th January 2021 at 10:26 PM.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    Aventus is the new Green Irish Tweed: no longer cutting-edge, but too dependable to ever truly go out of style.

As with Green Irish Tweed, it doesn't really excite me, but I appreciate it as a historically significant reference point.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbouti View Post
    I wear and still enjoy the scent of Aventus enormously. It’s still relevant to me so I wear it.

King? Not king? Who cares. I just wear it because I enjoy it.

It’s left its mark on perfumery though.
    These are the most accurate assessments imo. If I don't enjoy it as much at the moment, it's because it was my most worn for close to three years (GIT too).
    "No one wants advice - only corroboration." - John Steinbeck

I will say with the batch variations, whether your believe or agree with it when a batches notes all align right this fragrance is a smell to reckon with and a solid solid fragrance. Imo the darker batches really bring Aventus to life, since the beginning it was dark and the modern darker batches are still solid. The fruitier lighter variations while nice are not as enjoyable IMO, the fact that companies are still introducing fragrances that resemble Aventus speaks volumes this is 10+ years later, the same can be said with Bleu De Chanel two defining fragrances that paved the road for future fragrances to come love them or not they are still relevant and will be for many years to come.
    The finishing piece to my day’s attire is always a solid fragrance.
    Currently wearing: Hawas for Men by Rasasi