Code of Conduct

Default Original ADP Colonia but without herbals?

Hi, I love the opening of ADP Colonia (original) but am not a fan of the herbal elements that creep in after dry down.
    I don't hate them and it's still a nice fragrance overal, but I'd rather keep that lemony, verbena freshness rather than an old school type, herbal dry down.
    Does anything you can suggest do this?

Default Re: Original ADP Colonia but without herbals?

86 views without comment seems to indicate that lots of people clicked thinking it was me offering an a herbless alternative to ADP Colonia, rather than my asking for one, which in turn suggests it's something a fair few of us would like?
    Could be wrong though, usually am

I think that people would like it-but it's the usual problem of fresh citrus, it doesn't last. The only perfumes I can think of are the traditional edc recipes, which do not have a herbal drydown but do not last.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

What cacio said.

You could look at other brands like Atelier Cologne or MFK which have citrus / citrus-floral perfumes that last long and don't have herbal dry-downs, but these always have a musky (or sometimes woody) dry-down. Moreover, the citrus notes in most of these smell more synthetic compared to something like Acqua di Parma Colonia. Maybe you could try Acqua Viva by which has a very long-lasting lemon note over a woody base, with minimal herbal elements.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    Hi, I love the opening of ADP Colonia (original) but am not a fan of the herbal elements that creep in after dry down.
    I don't hate them and it's still a nice fragrance overal, but I'd rather keep that lemony, verbena freshness rather than an old school type, herbal dry down.
    Does anything you can suggest do this?
    Wow. I actually think the herbal elements are the 'essential' part of Colonia. In fact, I craved MORE of those herbal notes and just by accident while smelling fragrances at Disneyland I was smelling the card sprays of Colonia and then after about 4-5 other fragrances I came across Guerlain "Le Frenchy", which curiously I thought smelled virtually the same as Colonia, but then after around 15-20 minutes of the card sitting on the counter and drying down I picked it back up and smelled it........WOW, the herbals just jumped off the paper strip!

Le Frenchy opens virtually the same as Colonia, but then develops into a more punchy herbal scent that, to my nose, is using the identical herbals found in Colonia. So, IMO, the perfumer Thierry Wasser was heavily borrowing from Colonia and went into a much more robust herbal presentation. So, naturally, after comparing Colonia and Le Frenchy at the counter for like 20 minutes while my brother and niece smelled around the shop, I decided to go with Le Frenchy. It takes what is best about Colonia and amps it up.

I know the OP didn't ask for someone to provide a fragrance offering 'more' of those herbals, but I thought I should put this info in this thread in case anyone was interested.

Dependent

Have you tried Eau d'Hadrien?

Maybe also Hugh Parsons Yellow, Boucheron pour Homme EDP and Etro Lemon Sorbet to certain extents

Basenotes Plus

Love Colonia!

Perhaps avoid Colonia Futura then, lol
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by broguesforsir View Post
    Good suggestion.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

You might....might....prefer Acqua di Parma Assoluta - the first Colonia flanker. It has the Colonia DNA but replaces the herbs with soft florals and wood.

Like most, I’ve been searching for a pure, long lasting citrus but haven’t found one yet.

Quote Originally Posted by broguesforsir View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Good suggestion.

This was my first thought also. It keeps the citrus more throughout, but eventually it does go into a base but perhaps not too herbal. Worth a try.

One other thing that comes to mind, Bowling Green. I love Colonia and Bowling Green opening does not have the rich citrus opening at all..... but it is a very strong citrus and it stays with all the way through drydown. Hard to say if you will like it but it is one of the few that stays very citrus start to end and it adds mile wood more than herbal notes.

Quote Originally Posted by TR10 View Post
    You might....might....prefer Acqua di Parma Assoluta - the first Colonia flanker. It has the Colonia DNA but replaces the herbs with soft florals and wood.

Like most, I’ve been searching for a pure, long lasting citrus but haven’t found one yet.
    I cannot recal which one it was, but a while ago I had a few ADP samples (Colonia range) and one of them had an awful hay barn/hamster cage vibe going on and I hated it....a lot.
    It was either Pura, Assoluta or Intensa I think but I really cannot be sure?
    I see that Pura has cedar in it, which can sometimes give that hay barn/pet cage type of vibe?

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If you find what you're looking for, I hope you'll bump this thread up & tell us, because I'm definitely interested.

I'm a sucker for things with an eau de cologne style that lean more heavily on the citruses and less on the herbal side.

Here are three I like a lot:
    Castile, though it's not huge on the citrus.
    Aqua Universalis, though I wish the base was a bit more substantial.
    Chanel's Eau De Cologne, though it does get a bit herbal, but not at all in a harsh way.

I'm not sure if those are what you're looking for, but they're excellent.

As cacio explained, the issue with citruses is that they don't last, so other ingredients are used to extend the life of the scent. There's a relatively recent wave of citruses that are simpler, such as Bergamot 22, Bergamote Soleil, and Dior Homme Cologne, but they use harsh woods as a base to extend the longevity (yeah yeah, DHC lists musk, but it's NOT musk. It's the same harsh faux-woody aroma chemicals everybody else is using these days). Give me the amazing citrus from Bergamote Soleil over a smooth base and I'll gladly pay $300 a bottle, but that's not realistic in this era where most customers don't care if a base is trash. In a perfect world, I'd love to see Atelier Cologne and Xerjoff do a collaboration where Atelier Cologne contributes the top notes and Xerjoff does the base, because nobody extends the life of citruses like Xerjoff.

Speaking of Xerjoff... Nio is excellent, but it might go a bit more herbal than you're looking for. Come to think of it, I might need to pick up another decant of Nio if I can find one.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Royal Oud
    APOM
    Endymion
    Petit Matin
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Reflection Man
    Tabac Rouge
    Green Irish Tweed
    Interlude Man
    Aqua Universalis
    Chanel Eau De Cologne
    Terre d'Hermes
    Aqua Celestia
    Pomelo Paradis
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    "Live in the moment. Never count on longevity." --Yeasayer

Chanel Eau de Cologne might be worth trying. Light airy citrusy but a bit more expensive.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Thanks, but a little pricey and seemingly terrible performance.

I heard somewhere, perhaps on here, that ADP Colonia Futura was very much like Chanel PM EDT?
    Despite the amazing zesty, verbena opening, I got more of a sweet dry-down from PM EDT than the original ADP Colonia, which was also very zest opening but goes more herbal.
    Would, therefore Futura do the same thing as PM rather than going the herbal route?

I heard somewhere, perhaps on here, that ADP Colonia Futura was very much like Chanel PM EDT?
    Despite the amazing zesty, verbena opening, I got more of a sweet dry-down from PM EDT than the original ADP Colonia, which was also very zest opening but goes more herbal.
    Would, therefore Futura do the same thing as PM rather than going the herbal route?
    Sloth, my answer here is a very firm 'no'. Sorry to be so blunt, but I'd rather give you the truth up front.
    Colonia Futura is a wonderful fragrance, but I'm afraid it is no substitute for original Colonia, if you're not a fan of the herbs.
    Colonia Futura has more herbs than the original - lavender and quite a unique leafy-green sage. It's one of the reasons I bought it last year, but I would stay away if you don't like the herbs.

My suggestion to you remains quite strongly in favour of getting Boucheron Pour Homme in the EdT concentration.

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    Sloth, my answer here is a very firm 'no'. Sorry to be so blunt, but I'd rather give you the truth up front.
    Colonia Futura is a wonderful fragrance, but I'm afraid it is no substitute for original Colonia, if you're not a fan of the herbs.
    Colonia Futura has more herbs than the original - lavender and quite a unique leafy-green sage. It's one of the reasons I bought it last year, but I would stay away if you don't like the herbs.

My suggestion to you remains quite strongly in favour of getting Boucheron Pour Homme in the EdT concentration.
    Thanks Rum, the Boucheron is not sold in stores around here (not that they're open right now anyway) so it would be either a BB or a sample shop.
    For what it costs I may just do a BB.
    Would Rochas eau de Rochas be another to consider, it's supposed to be very lemon/verbena but possibly poor performance (but is it any worse than EDT and does it also go all herbal?)

BTW, sorry to hi-jack my own thread here, but I finally pulled the trigger on some samples.
    I got Creed BDP, Pasha de Cartier EDT and GIT.

Liked BDP but didn't love it, it just wasn't special enough IMO to warrant the price. My wife hated it, she hates all old school spicy stuff and prefers aquatic/marine scents on me. I may look at Lalique Lion as a close and cheap alternative for my own pleasure, not sure if EDT or EDP though with that one?

Loved Pasha. Very nice and crisp but with enough depth and subtle sweetness in dry down to stay interesting but not in an overly herbal way. I may buy a FB soon.

Really like GIT. I have tried Al Haramian L'Aventure Knight and Floris JF and don't think I get enough 'extra' from GIT to justify the price tag. I may look at buying a cheap clone to scratch the itch though, perhaps Tres Nuit as I like the idea that it may be sweeter than GIT?

I now have samples of Creed Erolfa, Aventus and Original Vetiver on their way to me, I hope to get them this week, hopefully tomorrow.

Thanks Rum, the Boucheron is not sold in stores around here (not that they're open right now anyway) so it would be either a BB or a sample shop.
    For what it costs I may just do a BB.
    Would Rochas eau de Rochas be another to consider, it's supposed to be very lemon/verbena but possibly poor performance (but is it any worse than EDT and does it also go all herbal?)

BTW, sorry to hi-jack my own thread here, but I finally pulled the trigger on some samples.
    I got Creed BDP, Pasha de Cartier and GIT.

Liked BDP but didn't love it, it just wasn't special enough IMO to warrant the price. My wife hated it, she hates all old school spicy stuff and prefers aquatic/marine scents on me. I may look at Lalique Lion as a close and cheap alternative, not sure if EDT or EDP though with that one?

Loved Pasha. Very nice and crisp but with enough depth and subtle sweetness in dry down to stay interesting but not in an overly herbal way. I may buy a FB soon.

Really like GIT. I have tried Al Haramian L'Aventure Knight and Floris JF and don't think I get enough 'extra' from GIT to justify the price tag. I may look at buying a cheap clone to scratch the itch though, perhaps Tres Nuit as I like the idea that it may be sweeter than GIT?

I now have samples of Creed Erolfa, Aventus and Original Vetiver on their way to me, I hope to get them this week, hopefully tomorrow.
    I don’t have much experience of the Rochas house, so I won’t say any more on that, but I think you’re off to a great start with all the other purchases.

As for having issues getting hold of the Boucheron, PM incoming.

ADP Futura is 90% fresh herbal

I love it ...but definitely not for you

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I get outstanding performance from Chanel Eau De Cologne, though by the six hour mark it's transitioned mostly to the base. It has a really nice base. I'm trying to think of a way to describe it... it's a clean & warm sort of billowy musk that's quite inviting. There's nothing harsh, nothing that smells like a cleaning product, nothing with a chemical smell. I have to assume it's an accord, not a single ingredient. I have no clue what they're using, but I wish they'd make more freshies with it.

I tend to be very critical of scents that have wonderful openings built on a base of trash. This is NOT one of those kinds of garbage perfumery. This stuff truly is niche juice - not in the sense that it's challenging, because it's not. But rather, it's true niche perfumery in the sense that Chanel took a common concept (a traditional eau de cologne) and they made it with extremely high quality, which probably will only attract a specific type of customer. Someone willing to pay Chanel Exclusifs prices for a common style made to such high quality.

The price definitely is high. I cringe when I think about paying that for another bottle when mine runs out, but I will. It's THAT good.

One more noteworthy detail about this one. It has an odd quirk in how it wears that I've never experienced before. The whole scent manages to be extremely light and airy, yet long lasting, and the opening feels lighter than the rest of the scent - so much so that I sometimes accidentally overspray because when first applied, it feels too light, perhaps because I keep expecting a bracing bright traditional EdC opening. But there's nothing bracing about this stuff. It's smoother than smooth. Anyway... around 20 minutes or so later, it seems like it kicks in, and for me, it keeps going and going.

As I always say... sample first.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Royal Oud
    APOM
    Endymion
    Petit Matin
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Reflection Man
    Tabac Rouge
    Green Irish Tweed
    Interlude Man
    Aqua Universalis
    Chanel Eau De Cologne
    Terre d'Hermes
    Aqua Celestia
    Pomelo Paradis
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    "Live in the moment. Never count on longevity." --Yeasayer

Zegna - Acqua di Bergamotto
    TdC - Bergamote
    Guerlain - Eau de Guerlain
    Rochas - Eau de Rochas pour Homme
    4711 - Eau de Cologne (that might be the perfect smell for you, but it indeed lasts 10min)
    MFK - Acqua Universalis and Acqua Universlis Forte (if you don;t mind florals and musk in place of herbal notes)

Quote Originally Posted by Andy the frenchy View Post
    Guerlain - Eau de Guerlain
    I think so too.
    Currently wearing: Myrrhiad by Huitième Art