Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1

    Default I'm new to fragrences, and constantly worried about "overspraying."

    I know this isn't as huge of a deal right now, when everyone is wearing masks in public, but I've getting into fragrances the last few months and am having a hard time figuring out how much to apply for each type/brand/etc. I live alone, so I can't ask someone else what they think.

    I would really like to hear any tips or tricks the community uses to find out what an "appropriate amount" to wear is for each fragrance they have. I realize this can vary by region and culture, but there usually seems to be an average amount that most people find acceptable. My goal with my fragrance is to enjoy it myself, but I also want people nearby to notice it too. Like a couple feet away or after I have passed by. I know you can't please everyone, and some people are going to dislike the amount you wear regardless, but there seems to be an "average" amongst the majority of people.

    At times I wonder if I am thinking about this too much, but I really don't want to become the dreaded "cologne guy." I'd much rather be the "guy that smells good" guy. ;P

    When I live with someone again it'll be much easier to try new fragrances out, but until then I'd like to figure out how to do it myself.

  2. #2
    Basenotes Member dogtoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    86

    Default Re: I'm new to fragrences, and constantly worried about "overspraying."

    To avoid worrying, which defeats one goal of fragrance wearing which in my mind is to help you feel a bit more confident and self assured, under spray. As long as you can smell your precious elixirs throughout the day, be happy. Each fragrance has its own sillage, or strength, which you will need to become familiar with. I’ve marked some of my more beastly bottles to remind me no more than one or even a half spray. Weather will play a factor as well. So as someone who’s still learning (as are we all) start small.

    When you’re home alone or going to sleep, go wild with wanton abandoned if you wish.
    Currently wearing: Rose Oud by Nicolaï

  3. #3
    Moderator
    rum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    UK / Île de chypre
    Posts
    14,600

    Default Re: I'm new to fragrences, and constantly worried about "overspraying."

    Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin D View Post
    I know this isn't as huge of a deal right now, when everyone is wearing masks in public, but I've getting into fragrances the last few months and am having a hard time figuring out how much to apply for each type/brand/etc. I live alone, so I can't ask someone else what they think.

    I would really like to hear any tips or tricks the community uses to find out what an "appropriate amount" to wear is for each fragrance they have. I realize this can vary by region and culture, but there usually seems to be an average amount that most people find acceptable. My goal with my fragrance is to enjoy it myself, but I also want people nearby to notice it too. Like a couple feet away or after I have passed by. I know you can't please everyone, and some people are going to dislike the amount you wear regardless, but there seems to be an "average" amongst the majority of people.

    At times I wonder if I am thinking about this too much, but I really don't want to become the dreaded "cologne guy." I'd much rather be the "guy that smells good" guy. ;P

    When I live with someone again it'll be much easier to try new fragrances out, but until then I'd like to figure out how to do it myself.
    I think you are on the right track in terms of your mindset, so you're off to a great start regardless!

    I should add that the art of 'finding the right amount to wear' boils down to a lot of trial and error. The key thing is that it varies with each scent (sometimes it even varies according to the concentration of the same fragrance). You'll know if you're smelling yourself too much or if you've suddenly gone anosmic to something due to wearing too much. As already suggested, it's best to start with as few sprays as possible and build up from that. Sooner or later you will find the optimum amount and you will be as confident at this as can be.

  4. #4

    Default Re: I'm new to fragrences, and constantly worried about "overspraying."

    I can sympathize with your concerns.

    I live in what must be one the world's most fragrance-hostile countries, which is reflected in both fragrance sales (much lower than in neighboring Sweden) and general attitudes. You can get the "cologne guy" stigma just by wearing any fragrance (other than deodorant) to work, not to mention if word gets around you're someone who collects them as a hobby. Not that I care much personally but professionally it may not be to your advantage. Mind you, my viewpoint is that of a middle aged man in the male-dominated IT/engineering professions.

    When not remote working, what I do is usually either:
    - Spray only after I come home from work
    or
    - Spray once (or max twice, depending on the scent) on the chest, under the shirt, in the morning. The fabric traps some of the scent particles and helps in providing a personal scent bubble throughout the day.

    "Pro tip": enhance longevity by using unscented body lotion as a base on the spot you spray on. What I've found to work even better is unscented roll-on deodorant as the base!
    My Most Worn by Decade
    90's: YSL Jazz
    00's: Clinique Happy for Men
    10's: Armani Code Sport
    20's: Aramis Havana, L'eau Bleue d'Issey, Fahrenheit

  5. #5

    Default Re: I'm new to fragrences, and constantly worried about "overspraying."

    One tip is to spray once on the back of your hand before you go to bed at night. If, at breakfast you can detect the smell quite clearly on your hand, you will know it is pretty potent.

  6. #6
    Wearing Perfume Right Now
    Bavard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    3,193

    Default Re: I'm new to fragrences, and constantly worried about "overspraying."

    Anything that gives you olfactory fatigue (i.e., anosmia) could be a problem, so anything with a lot of IsoESuper, such as Fahrenheit. With those, especially, it's good not to overspray - two to the chest and a little to one or both wrists should be good. Let the sprays to the chest get onto clothing (put on a shirt before it dries), and you should be set. You'll have the best chance of smelling it all day, especially with the spritz on your wrist.

    When I've experimented with heavier sprays, around six sprays, for example, it has been too strong sometimes (e.g., with CK Euphoria Men).

  7. #7
    Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    12,576

    Default Re: I'm new to fragrences, and constantly worried about "overspraying."

    I had always been pretty conservative in most years, going with three sprays. Maybe because everything was more powerful back then. It's good to be conscious of how much scent you're putting out. Start low and if you feel like you need more, adjust accordingly.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Gucci Guilty Oud by Gucci

  8. #8
    Dependent
    techt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    South Lake Tahoe
    Posts
    6,634

    Default Re: I'm new to fragrences, and constantly worried about "overspraying."

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    One tip is to spray once on the back of your hand before you go to bed at night. If, at breakfast you can detect the smell quite clearly on your hand, you will know it is pretty potent.

  9. #9
    Dependent
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    California
    Posts
    7,755

    Default Re: I'm new to fragrences, and constantly worried about "overspraying."

    Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    I think you are on the right track in terms of your mindset, so you're off to a great start regardless!

    I should add that the art of 'finding the right amount to wear' boils down to a lot of trial and error. The key thing is that it varies with each scent (sometimes it even varies according to the concentration of the same fragrance). You'll know if you're smelling yourself too much or if you've suddenly gone anosmic to something due to wearing too much. As already suggested, it's best to start with as few sprays as possible and build up from that. Sooner or later you will find the optimum amount and you will be as confident at this as can be.
    This.

  10. #10

    Default Re: I'm new to fragrences, and constantly worried about "overspraying."

    Quote Originally Posted by dogtoe View Post
    To avoid worrying, which defeats one goal of fragrance wearing which in my mind is to help you feel a bit more confident and self assured, under spray. As long as you can smell your precious elixirs throughout the day, be happy. Each fragrance has its own sillage, or strength, which you will need to become familiar with. I’ve marked some of my more beastly bottles to remind me no more than one or even a half spray. Weather will play a factor as well. So as someone who’s still learning (as are we all) start small.

    When you’re home alone or going to sleep, go wild with wanton abandoned if you wish.
    Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    I think you are on the right track in terms of your mindset, so you're off to a great start regardless!

    I should add that the art of 'finding the right amount to wear' boils down to a lot of trial and error. The key thing is that it varies with each scent (sometimes it even varies according to the concentration of the same fragrance). You'll know if you're smelling yourself too much or if you've suddenly gone anosmic to something due to wearing too much. As already suggested, it's best to start with as few sprays as possible and build up from that. Sooner or later you will find the optimum amount and you will be as confident at this as can be.
    Mostly seconded, as long as you enjoy the fragrances worn AND gradually find out (including with trail and error) what works best not just for yourself but also most of your interactions and potential responses towards your SOTD choices, you will gradually see this not only becoming increasingly feasible but also natural and unproblematic in the long run
    Currently wearing: Zino Davidoff by Davidoff

  11. #11
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil
    Posts
    334,292

    Default Re: I'm new to fragrences, and constantly worried about "overspraying."

    Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin D View Post
    I would really like to hear any tips or tricks the community uses to find out what an "appropriate amount" to wear is for each fragrance they have.
    I have no special tricks I use. I just apply three sprays regardless of the fragrance and for me it works well.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  12. #12
    Basenotes Junkie
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Dubai
    Posts
    504

    Default Re: I'm new to fragrences, and constantly worried about "overspraying."

    3 to 6 depending on tge juice

    Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk
    1. Sandalo by Lorenzo Villoresi
    2. Eau D'Hederin by Annick Goutal
    3. Neroli Portofino by Tom ford
    4. Gris Clair by Serge Lutens
    5. L'Ombre Dans L'Eau by Diptyque
    6. Colonia by Acqua di Parma
    7. Scandal by Roja
    8. Sublime Vanille by Creed
    9. Moon Safari by Memo
    10. Pour Homme by Paco Robanne

  13. #13
    Missing Oakmoss

    Bonnette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,139

    Default Re: I'm new to fragrences, and constantly worried about "overspraying."

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    One tip is to spray once on the back of your hand before you go to bed at night. If, at breakfast you can detect the smell quite clearly on your hand, you will know it is pretty potent.
    A very good tip! I often spray or dab the back of my hand in the evening, so that I can go to sleep thinking of something beautiful, instead of covid.

    Welcome to Basenotes, Vitamin D. Try not to stress over how much to apply - as others have said, it depends on the fragrance and the concentration (parfum, eau de parfum, eau de toilette, cologne). My motto in that regard is: Less is More. Start softly and build up, if you need to.

  14. #14

    thebeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Biggest Little City
    Posts
    4,388

    Default Re: I'm new to fragrences, and constantly worried about "overspraying."

    With "social distancing" I wouldn't worry about over spraying.

  15. #15
    Basenotes Institution
    sjg3839's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    46,405

    Default Re: I'm new to fragrences, and constantly worried about "overspraying."

    3 sprays is average.

  16. #16
    Dependent slpfrsly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,397

    Default Re: I'm new to fragrences, and constantly worried about "overspraying."

    An understandable concern. Less is almost always more. The only time where I'd say 'spray with abandon' is if you're going out on a night out...and even then, don't go too mad, like 15 sprays or anything like that.

    In my experience, it's also worth remembering that, for the most part, the 'danger zone' in terms of making a social faux pas is within the first 2 hours of application. So, first thing in the morning is not only when you're most likely to apply fragrance, but also when people are most sensitive to harsh smells, too - like getting used to the ligh when you first wake up, you don't want to smell a fragrance where, perhpas, by the evening you may be more open to the same strength of scent. With that in mind, there are a few things to consider: firstly, when you apply fragrance i.e. how soon before you leave your abode. I presume many people do it as one of the last things - you may be better off applying it 30 mins before you leave, for instance, for the scent to settle. Secondly, you might consider spraying lightly in the morning - maybe half of what you'd like to spray - and then spraying lightly again in the early afternoon via a travel atomiser you take with you. These concerns are much less of an issue in the last 12 months but, when the world is right again, they are general rules I've taken to heart.

    There are a few other points to add to this. Some scents are naturally 'beastly'. They will still be detectable to others long after the first 4-5 hours or so, which is when most fragrances start to die down and become barely detectable unless you're stood right next to the wearer. These are your Joop Hommes, your 1 Millions and the like. Application with these fragrances needs to come with a caveat. The final point is that you should get to 'learn' your fragrances, and this is why I advocate signature scents - or at least, a small, consistent wardrobe where you know the 'sweet spot' for application. You know what it smells like 2 hours in, you know how much is needed to be detectable to you and perhaps other people up close without it being offensive. This idea of 'learning' how to wear a particular fragrance and getting to grips with its own foibles and performance is one that I'm sure may be of use to other people. On the flipside, take the opinion of others as an aggregate - some people have poor sense of smell, some (namely women) have a more acute sense of smell; some people may say you smell bad/strong just for the sake of it; some people may pretend you are fine out of politeness when in fact you smell offputting. Try to get a broad view of other peoples' opinions and not take any one person to heart or treat their assessment as gospel.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

  17. #17
    Dependent slpfrsly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,397

    Default Re: I'm new to fragrences, and constantly worried about "overspraying."

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    One tip is to spray once on the back of your hand before you go to bed at night. If, at breakfast you can detect the smell quite clearly on your hand, you will know it is pretty potent.
    What if your night time activities contaminate the fragrance...


    (i'm so sorry)
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

  18. #18

    Default Re: I'm new to fragrences, and constantly worried about "overspraying."

    I'd suggest starting with a few sprays and see if that's adequate for application. If not enough, simply add a few more sprays until you're satisfied.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

    Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

    Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

  19. #19

    Default Re: I'm new to fragrences, and constantly worried about "overspraying."

    Thanks for all of your response! I usually stick to two or three sprays, so it looks like I'm safe there. I'll try the hand method out for now too!

    Best route would be to just find a girlfriend...




Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 14th May 2018, 02:14 AM
  2. Replies: 39
    Last Post: 12th February 2016, 03:48 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 31st January 2016, 06:39 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 14th July 2012, 04:04 AM
  5. Has anyone tried any of these "niche" fragrences?
    By pesurf in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 23rd January 2006, 01:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000